Photo

RPG Maker VX Ace on Steam issues.

steam RPG Maker VX Ace Crash Issues

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Xadyn8

Xadyn8

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

Hi, I'm new to the RPG Maker world. I recently bought RPG Maker VX Ace on Steam and I'm having issues that involve the program to completely exit out without a valid reason. I start up RPG Maker VX Ace, and the launch title appears along with the window that showcases all of my tools and whatnot. I'm able to click and play around with the tools like the tiles, water, bgms, and objects etc, however the moment I begin to click on any of the file, edit, mode, draw, scale, tools, game, or help options, the program shuts down completely. Even simply right clicking on the map causes it to exit out for no reason. It's kind've frustrating, and I'm sure it's something that can be solved with a simple solution, (hopefully haha) and I would really appreciate any advice or instructions one can give to help me. If you need any more information or details, I'd be happy to provide them for you. Thanks in advance.

#2 ragnawind

ragnawind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

Hi, I'm new to the RPG Maker world. I recently bought RPG Maker VX Ace on Steam and I'm having issues that involve the program to completely exit out without a valid reason. I start up RPG Maker VX Ace, and the launch title appears along with the window that showcases all of my tools and whatnot. I'm able to click and play around with the tools like the tiles, water, bgms, and objects etc, however the moment I begin to click on any of the file, edit, mode, draw, scale, tools, game, or help options, the program shuts down completely. Even simply right clicking on the map causes it to exit out for no reason. It's kind've frustrating, and I'm sure it's something that can be solved with a simple solution, (hopefully haha) and I would really appreciate any advice or instructions one can give to help me. If you need any more information or details, I'd be happy to provide them for you. Thanks in advance.

what OS are you using? If it is Windows 8, you may have to set its Compatibility mode to Windows 7 or run it in Desktop Mode, I think it is called.

#3 Xadyn8

Xadyn8

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

Oh right sorry about not mentioning that, I knew I was forgetting something lol. I'm running the program on Windows 7.

#4 ragnawind

ragnawind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

Oh right sorry about not mentioning that, I knew I was forgetting something lol. I'm running the program on Windows 7.

Does it ask to be run as an Admin when you open it. If not, find its executable in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common". Once you locate the maker from there, right-click it, go to properties. Go to the Compatibility tab and choose to run as an Admin. If it was the regular proram, not through steam it doesn't need, this, but it might when using Steam. Otherwise, you could try re-installing it, if you haven't already.

#5 Xadyn8

Xadyn8

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Hmmm I got to the folder under steamapps/common, and I right clicked the file "RPGMakerVXAce", and went to properties. I'm having trouble finding the Compatibility tab, I only see "General Sharing Security Previous Versions Customize" I've reinstalled the program once before too earlier today.

#6 ragnawind

ragnawind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

Hmmm I got to the folder under steamapps/common, and I right clicked the file "RPGMakerVXAce", and went to properties. I'm having trouble finding the Compatibility tab, I only see "General Sharing Security Previous Versions Customize" I've reinstalled the program once before too earlier today.

Not the actual folder. Go inside the folder and select the exe file, which should be "RPGVXAce.exe" or something similar.

It seems like Steam is having a lot of problems with RPG Maker VX Ace.

#7 Xadyn8

Xadyn8

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

Oh wait, found what you were looking for. I see compatibility, and I've changed it to run as admin, still no luck unfortunately :(

#8 Xadyn8

Xadyn8

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

Oh jeeze, it's starting to work now for some reason. I tried it on again and off again, and now it's letting me click on the tabs and right click :D

I really hope this doesn't change haha. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it. I'm so happy it works!

#9 ragnawind

ragnawind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

Oh wait, found what you were looking for. I see compatibility, and I've changed it to run as admin, still no luck unfortunately :(

You may want to try contacting Steam support, then.

#10 Skimoman

Skimoman

Last Airbender

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

Oh this happened to me also for like a week, I'm running Steam on Windows 7 too. Its really frustrating, but it just stopped doing that for some reason...

I contacted Steam, and RPGMAKER, and they had no clue what was going on either...

Current Project:

Recurrence.png

My blog:
Capture.PNG

b87941747a8a31f54ac3fb63d5119.gif

#11 LoneWolfDon

LoneWolfDon

Big Don

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

I got Ace via Steam myself, and I often had a problem of the program crashing on me (mainly when I went to Playtest a project), but I seem to have resolved it by disabling the Steam's Community Overlay for it;

Steam-client, Library, your Software list right-click on RPG Maker VX Ace, Properties, 
un-check the option for "Enable Steam Community in-game". 

"Blade of Rage" (My Game-project in development)

Blade_of_Rage_sm003a.jpg
"Fill your hand with steel... and let the Rage begin!"

#12 Andar

Andar

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 6,762 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:31 AM

I've got RPGMaker from Steam and run it on Win7 and don't have the described problems (in about one month of working with it.

However, I had a few problems when I tried to launch it before Steam completed client checks or was updating. Or when Steam had connection problems, RPGMaker couldn't be started until I was able to switch Steam to offline-mode (which sometimes required waiting 5 min for a steam timeout).