28 posts in this topic

Moderator Edit due to lost post

This is one of several very old topics where the first post was lost due to an archive problem one or two years ago, and cannot be restored.

Luckily someone else found the download links, so here they are:

You can download them at RMN.

One Night, One Night 2, One Night 3.

End of Mod-Edit

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm happy to see all of these together, the last time I saw these was on the RPGmakerVX.net, and you only finished the first one! I took a look at it and thought 'Wow this is great, but far too scary for me' I think, after all of these years, I might have to mass up the courage to have a go at thees games! biggrin.png

Edited by Andar
original first topic post lost

I would love to see someone do a Let's Play of this series, because I'm a huge wimp when it comes to horror games. XD;

I tried to play your first one. I got creeped out and quit.

For all of those who are too afraid, this scaredy-cat accepts the challenge.

When I come back looking like this -

10336601_98f664c11e.jpg

My mission will be accomplished.

Edited by RyanA
Acetonide and Jaide like this

Go RyanA! ;D

There are actually quite a few Let's Plays on Youtube, if you guys want to see them. Just search for "one night rpg maker" on Youtube :)

In other news...

Friday, July 6th, 2012

Hey there, everyone!

Who remembers the first time they played through the original One Night game? I played through it myself the other day for old times' sake, and I must say that I found it was in dire need of an update.

Since the One Night trilogy recently appeared on Wikipedia, and I've seen an increase in interest in the original game from Let's Players on Youtube lately, I felt that this was as good a time as any to go through the game and polish it into a standard as close to my later games as I could manage.

Thus, I now bring you One Night Build 5.1! This version of the game is a complete overhaul. The annoying monsters have been toned down, exploration has been made a lot easier and feels a lot more natural, the endings and their requirements have been changed to increase replayability (it is now much harder to get the best ending as saving Tiffany and Marchani now works differently), the dialogue has been rewritten to flow more smoothly and be free of errors, there are more scares and more tension than before and extra difficulty modes and other Easter Eggs have been added to the game.

You can access the extra play modes by entering special codes as the main character's name when starting a new game. Normally, these codes are given as rewards for completing the game, but as most of you have probably played through One Night before, you can grab them here.

EASYMODE decreases the amount of monsters in the game and starts you off with an inventory full of supplies.

HARDMODE increases the amount of monsters in the game and removes all Defensive Items from The Complex, making the game more challenging.

NEWDIGS allows you to play One Night while wearing Colt's alternate outfit from One Night: Full Circle.

MOREFEAR enables Flash style jump scares, which appear at random spots throughout the game.

Sound good? Maybe it's a good time to relive the original One Night? Meanwhile, if you've never played it before, now's the best time to try!

You know what to do! Head on over to the download link and get your horror on!

There are actually quite a few Let's Plays on Youtube, if you guys want to see them. Just search for "one night rpg maker" on Youtube :)

In other news...

Friday, July 6th, 2012

Hey there, everyone!

Who remembers the first time they played through the original One Night game? I played through it myself the other day for old times' sake, and I must say that I found it was in dire need of an update.

Since the One Night trilogy recently appeared on Wikipedia, and I've seen an increase in interest in the original game from Let's Players on Youtube lately, I felt that this was as good a time as any to go through the game and polish it into a standard as close to my later games as I could manage.

Thus, I now bring you One Night Build 5.1! This version of the game is a complete overhaul. The annoying monsters have been toned down, exploration has been made a lot easier and feels a lot more natural, the endings and their requirements have been changed to increase replayability (it is now much harder to get the best ending as saving Tiffany and Marchani now works differently), the dialogue has been rewritten to flow more smoothly and be free of errors, there are more scares and more tension than before and extra difficulty modes and other Easter Eggs have been added to the game.

You can access the extra play modes by entering special codes as the main character's name when starting a new game. Normally, these codes are given as rewards for completing the game, but as most of you have probably played through One Night before, you can grab them here.

EASYMODE decreases the amount of monsters in the game and starts you off with an inventory full of supplies.

HARDMODE increases the amount of monsters in the game and removes all Defensive Items from The Complex, making the game more challenging.

NEWDIGS allows you to play One Night while wearing Colt's alternate outfit from One Night: Full Circle.

MOREFEAR enables Flash style jump scares, which appear at random spots throughout the game.

Sound good? Maybe it's a good time to relive the original One Night? Meanwhile, if you've never played it before, now's the best time to try!

You know what to do! Head on over to the download link and get your horror on!

Darnit, now all my days of preparation so I woudln't get scared while playing is ruiiiiiiiiiiineeeeeeed~ 3:

I'm happy you've updated this game, I'm going to download and play it now :3

My weekend is already packed... but I suppose I can try and fit one of these in too. I haven't played a scary game since Dead Space... and it wasn't overly terrifying.

This is 3: Not suitable for Scaredy Cats!

<-----

@Levi W: I was quite disappointed with Dead Space, myself. It just wasn't a great survival horror game, and compared to Silent Hill and Fatal Frame, it wasn't scary at all. I'd like to say my games are scarier than Dead Space, but I'll leave you to be the judge. One Night 2 and Full Circle are definitely much scarier than the original game, though.

I'd recommend playing One Night 2 if you only have time to play one. It's the shortest and isn't tied into the previous game storywise. Everyone pretty much agrees it's the scariest one, too.

Edited by Dark Gaia

My weekend is already packed... but I suppose I can try and fit one of these in too. I haven't played a scary game since Dead Space... and it wasn't overly terrifying.

I love horror movies, and movies that make me jump. As it is, I can't play Doom 3 past dusk any more - my old heart can't take it. ;) That being said, I played Dead Space until I got bored with it - which was about an hour in. The scares weren't scary to me. Maybe it's the third person gameplay, but I couldn't get into it in a way that got my heart pumping, so it got shelved.

Well, with the One Night series, it's a typical "your mileage may vary" situation. Some have found it scary, others not so much. I guess it depends on how immersed into the game you are and how resistant to jump-scares you are.

This game seems really good. I played up until the first safe room. How long does each game take to complete?

Edited by Pinesal

I played the first and second game, looking forward to the third. Just downloaded the trilogy. ;)

Glad you're enjoying them! The third one is the best in my opinion, so you should really like it.

Update:

September 4th, 2012

Hey, horror fans! Just letting you know that a new build of One Night: Full Circle (Build 5.3) is now online, adding a few much-needed updates to the game and addressing a couple of requests made by players.

This new build isn't drastically different to the previous builds (at least, not on the same level that my recent updates to One Night and Legionwood were) but there's still a fair amount of new content in the game to check out.

The changes to Build 5.3 include:

- Items, supplies, files and weapons are now sorted into different inventory tabs, making it a lot easier to locate items.

- Puzzle items that are no longer needed are removed from the inventory to prevent clutter.

- Due to popular demand, the Electric Saw item that is found in the University can now be equipped as a weapon, rather than just being a puzzle item. It is much stronger than the Handgun but has limited uses.

- The writing in cutscenes and files has been cleaned up and errors rectified/awkward sentences rewritten.

- The morality counter has been adjusted so that it is now actually possible to get the good ending (previously, it was set up in such a way that you couldn't ever get enough good morality to unlock the ending). I'm not sure how this bug went unnoticed for such a long period of time, but it's fixed now.

- Game events have been slightly optimised to cut down on lag that some people were experiencing.

I also discovered that the One Night trilogy now has a TV Tropes page that was created by someone who apparently really likes the games. Check it out here: http://tvtropes.org/...p/Main/OneNight

Edited by Dark Gaia

Horror games made ​​with game maker? Looks like you worked hard to do that. I'm sure that is very fine. ;3

I worked very hard on them indeed. Give them a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Just popping in to share some news and a small update...

The One Night trilogy was recently featured on IndieGames.com (a sister site of Gamasutra) as a "Freeware Game Pick" and was also chosen to appear on a cover mount disc for c't Magazine (a German magazine), so I went through One Night 2 and Full Circle and made some additional polishes and tweaks (such as unneeded items being removed from your inventory). In addition, One Night: Full Circle is now out on IndieDB and Desura. This release features a brand new hard mode for experienced players, which decreases the number of supplies in the game while ramping up the HP and aggressiveness of the monsters. Hop to it!

I have no idea what to do in Full Circle. I'm literally stuck at the first house. How do I proceed?

On the note of ON, the first game's so scary ;_;

Seeing these games once more fills me up with a bucket-load of nostalgia.

Consider me downloading 'em once more and giving them a play-through!

@hotfirelegend: You basically just have to backtrack. Go upstairs and examine the closet by the bed, you'll notice that it needs a silver key to unlock. Given that there's nothing else you can do here, you can now leave the house and go south, where you'll eventually find the key :)

@dezz: They've all been updated too, so you'll probably find enough extra stuff that you'll still be surprised.

Update

As of today, the Ultimate Edition of One Night 2: The Beyond is online for your enjoyment. This new build is a much needed update in the vein of my recent Ultimate Edition updates for Legionwood and One Night.

It rewrites a good percentage of the game's text for clarity (as this game was written three years ago now and it was starting to feel a little "off" to me) and adds some oft-requested gameplay tweaks (such as key items being removed from your inventory when no longer needed) to the engine. In addition, there's also quite a large handful of new content to enjoy in the form of new enemies (two, to be exact), new scares, a bunch of new rooms and locations (a brand new Factory area underneath the mansion) and puzzles, which should entice veteran players to give the game another run-through.

The new rooms are based on some of the unused areas from One Night 1.5, the original (scrapped) One Night sequel, and these locations, along with a newly added Easter Egg (try examining the barrel in the 1F East Hallway 30 times) should provide a little bit of insight into what the game could have been. Personally, I'm always interested in such things (I have an obsession with Resident Evil 1.5, for one) and if you are too, then you'll probably appreciate the additions.

All in all, the Ultimate Edition of One Night 2 should take anywhere between 2 and 3 hours to complete (perhaps a little longer if you're aiming for the good endings). As usual, grab the game from the opening post in the thread, or get it from Desura.

Edited by Dark Gaia

Can I get some technical help?

I just downloaded the game, I've heard good things about it, but the game seems to be thinking that I'm constantly pressing my down key. I got into the game and my character just ran straight down and won't go up, only left and right.

Try shutting down your computer completely and then restarting and see if that fixes the issue.

Sometimes the VX engine has issues with controls on older computers. There isn't any framerate lag, but the controls somehow become really delayed. Try playing in full screen mode - it's less intensive than windowed mode.