Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

The One Night Trilogy (3 Full Horror Games)

RPG Maker VX horror scary atmospheric adventure psychological resident evil silent hill

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Gaia

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:12 AM

The One Night trilogy is a series of completed survival horror games made in RPG Maker VX released between 2008 and 2011. Each game contains roughly three to four hours of gameplay, multiple endings and an involving story. The games have generated quite a bit of interest over the years, being featured in PC Gamer magazine and having a series of Let's Play videos made about them.

One Night

Posted Image

One Night is a survival horror game made in RPG Maker VX, released in late 2009. It holds the dubious honour of being the very first survival horror game made for the engine.

A frightening Resident Evil-esque experience, One Night challenges you to escape from "The Complex", a crumbling, abandoned research facility while being hunted mercilessly by the remnants of a long forgotten experiment.

Relentless monsters and difficult puzzles await around every corner - can you survive the horror?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Download it here: http://rpgmaker.net/.../926/downloads/

One Night 2: The Beyond

One Night 2: The Beyond is the long awaited sequel to the original RPG Maker VX survival horror game, first released in mid 2010.

Set almost thirty years before the original game, One Night 2 is a Lovecraftian adventure game where you must solve the mystery of Mairstone Manor, a house controlled by an ancient, malevolent evil, and discover the origins of the horror.

With an eldritch presense of unknown origin bearing down upon you, it's going to take everything you can muster to escape from Mairstone Manor alive.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Download it here: http://rpgmaker.net/...1144/downloads/

One Night: Full Circle

Posted Image

One Night: Full Circle is the final game in Dark Gaia's RPG Maker VX made survival horror series. It is intended to tie together and resolve the stories of the previous two games in an exciting conclusion. It was released in early 2011.

In One Night: Full Circle, you must search for your missing sister Alyssa in the town of Stillwater, a place that has been a ghost town since an unknown catastrophe occured one fateful night six months ago. As you uncover the secrets of the town in search of your goal, you'll also discover how the stories of the previous One Night games tie together and follow them through to the dramatic ending.

An entire town awaits your arrival. It's up to you to survive the many horrors it holds. It's going to be a monumental task. Do you dare attempt it?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Download it here: http://rpgmaker.net/...1577/downloads/

Currently working on:

14485286343_b636ba179d_o.png

A survival horror RPG inspired by Vampire: The Masquerade and 1930s monster movies.

Free demo out now!

Find out more at my website, Facebook or Twitter!

#2 hyde9318

hyde9318

"Earth Under Attack" Coming Soon...

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:23 AM

Ah yes, the One Night Trilogy. I remember being around when the first two were out and you were talking about the third. Im glad to see you finished it up. I really did enjoy your games. They were very well done and kept me quite amused for the whole length of both installments that I played.

I think I am going to have to get me a copy of the third part and play through it. Got to catch myself back up you know, lol.
Anyways, good work on these.

Click a button below to visit each link!
6gxXsGZ.pngoKXD8jP.pngXd3SeYN.pngr2PMckB.pngpyCqUjU.pngyNspyrJ.png

#3 RyanA

RyanA

Happy Cat

• Member+
  • 1,251 posts

User's Awards

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

I'm happy to see all of these together, the last time I saw these was on the RPGmakerVX.net, and you only finished the first one! I took a look at it and thought 'Wow this is great, but far too scary for me' I think, after all of these years, I might have to mass up the courage to have a go at thees games! :D
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Supports

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Jaide

Jaide

"This guy are sick."

• Member+
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

I would love to see someone do a Let's Play of this series, because I'm a huge wimp when it comes to horror games. XD;
spwyur.jpg

#5 The First Rebel

The First Rebel

Emperor of Carnelia

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

I tried to play your first one. I got creeped out and quit.

2881fm.png

#6 RyanA

RyanA

Happy Cat

• Member+
  • 1,251 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

For all of those who are too afraid, this scaredy-cat accepts the challenge.

When I come back looking like this -
Spoiler

My mission will be accomplished.

Edited by RyanA, 29 June 2012 - 07:01 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Supports

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 Jaide

Jaide

"This guy are sick."

• Member+
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

Go RyanA! ;D
spwyur.jpg

#8 Dark Gaia

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

There are actually quite a few Let's Plays on Youtube, if you guys want to see them. Just search for "one night rpg maker" on Youtube :)

In other news...

Friday, July 6th, 2012

Hey there, everyone!

Who remembers the first time they played through the original One Night game? I played through it myself the other day for old times' sake, and I must say that I found it was in dire need of an update.

Since the One Night trilogy recently appeared on Wikipedia, and I've seen an increase in interest in the original game from Let's Players on Youtube lately, I felt that this was as good a time as any to go through the game and polish it into a standard as close to my later games as I could manage.

Thus, I now bring you One Night Build 5.1! This version of the game is a complete overhaul. The annoying monsters have been toned down, exploration has been made a lot easier and feels a lot more natural, the endings and their requirements have been changed to increase replayability (it is now much harder to get the best ending as saving Tiffany and Marchani now works differently), the dialogue has been rewritten to flow more smoothly and be free of errors, there are more scares and more tension than before and extra difficulty modes and other Easter Eggs have been added to the game.

You can access the extra play modes by entering special codes as the main character's name when starting a new game. Normally, these codes are given as rewards for completing the game, but as most of you have probably played through One Night before, you can grab them here.

EASYMODE decreases the amount of monsters in the game and starts you off with an inventory full of supplies.
HARDMODE increases the amount of monsters in the game and removes all Defensive Items from The Complex, making the game more challenging.
NEWDIGS allows you to play One Night while wearing Colt's alternate outfit from One Night: Full Circle.
MOREFEAR enables Flash style jump scares, which appear at random spots throughout the game.

Sound good? Maybe it's a good time to relive the original One Night? Meanwhile, if you've never played it before, now's the best time to try!

You know what to do! Head on over to the download link and get your horror on!

Currently working on:

A survival horror RPG inspired by Vampire: The Masquerade and 1930s monster movies.

Free demo out now!

#9 RyanA

RyanA

Happy Cat

• Member+
  • 1,251 posts

User's Awards

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

There are actually quite a few Let's Plays on Youtube, if you guys want to see them. Just search for "one night rpg maker" on Youtube :)

In other news...

Friday, July 6th, 2012

Hey there, everyone!

Who remembers the first time they played through the original One Night game? I played through it myself the other day for old times' sake, and I must say that I found it was in dire need of an update.

Since the One Night trilogy recently appeared on Wikipedia, and I've seen an increase in interest in the original game from Let's Players on Youtube lately, I felt that this was as good a time as any to go through the game and polish it into a standard as close to my later games as I could manage.

Thus, I now bring you One Night Build 5.1! This version of the game is a complete overhaul. The annoying monsters have been toned down, exploration has been made a lot easier and feels a lot more natural, the endings and their requirements have been changed to increase replayability (it is now much harder to get the best ending as saving Tiffany and Marchani now works differently), the dialogue has been rewritten to flow more smoothly and be free of errors, there are more scares and more tension than before and extra difficulty modes and other Easter Eggs have been added to the game.

You can access the extra play modes by entering special codes as the main character's name when starting a new game. Normally, these codes are given as rewards for completing the game, but as most of you have probably played through One Night before, you can grab them here.

EASYMODE decreases the amount of monsters in the game and starts you off with an inventory full of supplies.
HARDMODE increases the amount of monsters in the game and removes all Defensive Items from The Complex, making the game more challenging.
NEWDIGS allows you to play One Night while wearing Colt's alternate outfit from One Night: Full Circle.
MOREFEAR enables Flash style jump scares, which appear at random spots throughout the game.

Sound good? Maybe it's a good time to relive the original One Night? Meanwhile, if you've never played it before, now's the best time to try!

You know what to do! Head on over to the download link and get your horror on!

Darnit, now all my days of preparation so I woudln't get scared while playing is ruiiiiiiiiiiineeeeeeed~ 3:
I'm happy you've updated this game, I'm going to download and play it now :3
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Supports

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Levi

Levi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

My weekend is already packed... but I suppose I can try and fit one of these in too. I haven't played a scary game since Dead Space... and it wasn't overly terrifying.

Wanderer's Studies - My Main Project
My Blog

My Art

If people weren't stupid, we'd be out of jobs.

#11 RyanA

RyanA

Happy Cat

• Member+
  • 1,251 posts

User's Awards

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:36 AM

This is 3: Not suitable for Scaredy Cats!

<-----
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Supports

Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 Dark Gaia

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

@Levi W: I was quite disappointed with Dead Space, myself. It just wasn't a great survival horror game, and compared to Silent Hill and Fatal Frame, it wasn't scary at all. I'd like to say my games are scarier than Dead Space, but I'll leave you to be the judge. One Night 2 and Full Circle are definitely much scarier than the original game, though.

I'd recommend playing One Night 2 if you only have time to play one. It's the shortest and isn't tied into the previous game storywise. Everyone pretty much agrees it's the scariest one, too.

Edited by Dark Gaia, 05 July 2012 - 08:26 PM.

Currently working on:

Free demo out now!

#13 Genii Benedict

Genii Benedict

Supervillain, Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

My weekend is already packed... but I suppose I can try and fit one of these in too. I haven't played a scary game since Dead Space... and it wasn't overly terrifying.

I love horror movies, and movies that make me jump. As it is, I can't play Doom 3 past dusk any more - my old heart can't take it. ;) That being said, I played Dead Space until I got bored with it - which was about an hour in. The scares weren't scary to me. Maybe it's the third person gameplay, but I couldn't get into it in a way that got my heart pumping, so it got shelved.
"Hello?! I've just shot somebody! I did it on purpose... ...I said, I have just murdered a man, and I wish to confess!!" - Benedict, The Last Action Hero

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Dark Gaia

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

Well, with the One Night series, it's a typical "your mileage may vary" situation. Some have found it scary, others not so much. I guess it depends on how immersed into the game you are and how resistant to jump-scares you are.

Currently working on:

Free demo out now!

#15 Pinesal

Pinesal

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

This game seems really good. I played up until the first safe room. How long does each game take to complete?

Edited by Pinesal, 02 September 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#16 mayhem4masses

mayhem4masses

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:20 PM

I played the first and second game, looking forward to the third. Just downloaded the trilogy. ;)

#17 Dark Gaia

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:13 AM

Glad you're enjoying them! The third one is the best in my opinion, so you should really like it.

Update:

September 4th, 2012

Hey, horror fans! Just letting you know that a new build of One Night: Full Circle (Build 5.3) is now online, adding a few much-needed updates to the game and addressing a couple of requests made by players.

This new build isn't drastically different to the previous builds (at least, not on the same level that my recent updates to One Night and Legionwood were) but there's still a fair amount of new content in the game to check out.

The changes to Build 5.3 include:
- Items, supplies, files and weapons are now sorted into different inventory tabs, making it a lot easier to locate items.
- Puzzle items that are no longer needed are removed from the inventory to prevent clutter.
- Due to popular demand, the Electric Saw item that is found in the University can now be equipped as a weapon, rather than just being a puzzle item. It is much stronger than the Handgun but has limited uses.
- The writing in cutscenes and files has been cleaned up and errors rectified/awkward sentences rewritten.
- The morality counter has been adjusted so that it is now actually possible to get the good ending (previously, it was set up in such a way that you couldn't ever get enough good morality to unlock the ending). I'm not sure how this bug went unnoticed for such a long period of time, but it's fixed now.
- Game events have been slightly optimised to cut down on lag that some people were experiencing.

I also discovered that the One Night trilogy now has a TV Tropes page that was created by someone who apparently really likes the games. Check it out here: http://tvtropes.org/...p/Main/OneNight

Edited by Dark Gaia, 07 September 2012 - 02:13 AM.

Currently working on:

Free demo out now!

#18 Moonfall

Moonfall

Musician Composer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:29 AM

Horror games made ​​with game maker? Looks like you worked hard to do that. I'm sure that is very fine. ;3

#19 Dark Gaia

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

I worked very hard on them indeed. Give them a try. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Currently working on:

Free demo out now!

#20 Dark Gaia

Dark Gaia

Disgruntled Writer

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

Just popping in to share some news and a small update...

The One Night trilogy was recently featured on IndieGames.com (a sister site of Gamasutra) as a "Freeware Game Pick" and was also chosen to appear on a cover mount disc for c't Magazine (a German magazine), so I went through One Night 2 and Full Circle and made some additional polishes and tweaks (such as unneeded items being removed from your inventory). In addition, One Night: Full Circle is now out on IndieDB and Desura. This release features a brand new hard mode for experienced players, which decreases the number of supplies in the game while ramping up the HP and aggressiveness of the monsters. Hop to it!

Currently working on:

Free demo out now!