Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RyanBram

tool Image Resizer (Specially for Upscaling Pixel Art)

19 posts in this topic

Introducing

Image Resizer

credits : Hawkynt

Image%20Resizer.png

1. Description
Image resizer is a free software designed for resizing image especially for upscaling low res pixel art image multiple times. This software contains many pixel art scaling algorithm that only can be found in video game emulators as image filter. If it is about upscaling pixel art, this software is currently the best as nothing can beat it even it was the proprietary Photoshop or Perfect Resizer.

2. Usage
The user interface is very straighforward, you just:
- Choose an image that you want to upscale;
- Choose scaling method that you desire (I reccomended use xBR 4x, but another method is also worth to be tried);
- Set another parameter if necessary;
- Save as your image.

3. Limitations
The limitation of these pixel art algorithm are they only capable for magnifying picture in predefined size, such as 2x, 3x, or 4x and cannot be used to shrink images. The solution when you want to resize you picture with custom size is to magnify the picture with the pixel art scaling algorithms first, then shrink it with lanczos or another filter to the desired size. For example, a pixel art image with dimension 2x2 pixel want to be scaled until 7x7 pixel (almost 4 times of its original size). So the solution is by using - let's say - Hq4x filter to magnify it until 8x8 pixel, then shrink it with lanczos filter to 7x7 pixel. The image will looks perfectly with this method.

4. Comparison
- Erick Erick.png is scaled four times:

Erick_4x.pngErick_4x(HqxSmart).png

- Boss Boss.png is scaled four times:

Boss_4x.pngBoss_4x(xBR).png

- Eliwood Eliwood.png from Fire Emblem is scaled 12 times:

Eliwood_12x.png
Eliwood_12x(xBR).png

5. Download
You can obtain the program at its main site, just make sure .Net Framework 4 is installed in your computer.

If there is any questions related the usage of this software and pixel art scaling algorithm, feel free to ask. Please don't mind to write your impression when using this software.

Best regards,

RyanBram

i hate to say this but...

when i'm choosing

XBR3x (No Blend)

it can't change the specific resolution...

why!?

i'm really need this thing...

My mind is blown. This is so awesome. Thank you very much for sharing!

EDIT: Spend around 2 hours today converting and editing Sprites. And always giving them the final touch with your Resizer. It looks SO good. Just came back here to thank you once again. Simply awesome!

RyanBram likes this

i hate to say this but...

when i'm choosing

XBR3x (No Blend)

it can't change the specific resolution...

why!?

i'm really need this thing...

This is the limitation of pixel art scaling algorithm, because their method for upscaling images is different from lanczos or another general purpose scaling algorithm. Pixel art scaling algorithm should carefully calculated every pixel, so it can accurately choosing pixel replacement in empty room when upscaling images several times. That's why some of them not only provide one method, but more than it (You can see by yourself how many Hq variants in the software list). The solutions is just like what I mentioned in main post.

Begitulah. Yang namanya ciptaan manusia pastinya punya keterbatasan. BD

My mind is blown. This is so awesome. Thank you very much for sharing!

EDIT: Spend around 2 hours today converting and editing Sprites. And always giving them the final touch with your Resizer. It looks SO good. Just came back here to thank you once again. Simply awesome!

Nice to hear you like it. Just visit the main site if you want to check if there is a new update (the software updated frequently). Hawkynt the author is also from German. He is from Berlin.

Thanks for letting us know about this. This should prove to be quite useful. There's a few sprites I needed to try to resize decently without having it become too overly-pixelated, and maybe this utility can help.   Cheers! :)

RyanBram likes this

Hello RyamBran!

I thank you very much 4 this Program. I definite try it out soon. Looks great!

Your topic has been recommended to me some minutes ago because I always got problems with resize my characters somehow. :cutesmile:  Soonly not thanx you I hope.

Merci

Edit:

So I tried it out...

See please my example. Did I use the right method now? Or should I still change something? My eyes maybe do not see importaint details...

Soi-looksbetternow-RPGBaze-Screenshot.pn

Rose wala leo and RyanBram like this

Which filter did you use?  It's better...  but...

Why are you so insistent on resizing these particular sprites rather than either making your own or using sprites that were larger to begin with?

Anyways...  Yeah.  Since you do seem to insist...  which filter did you use?

I used the Lanczos Filter.

Have you better experience with other filters?

That was just a first try.

Rose wala leo likes this

Really great! ^_^

@RPG-Baze

Your screenshot looks really awesome!!! :D

Tastica likes this

Thank you Leo. That means much to me when you say things like this with honest.

I tried another character with another filter (Bicubic):

Melay-onthebeach-screenshot-RPG+Baze.png

Maybe my eyes are not good enough to see a diffrence between with and without Hawkynt´s Resizer with this filter on this character?

Rose wala leo likes this

@RPG-Baze

I'd try the XBR settings, I think the Lanczos filter is very good for reducing, but not for enlarging.

@ksjp17: I think the XBR filters are awesome! They look great. But I can´t resize width & height than.

It would look like this:

Would be nice if the developers would think about an update for this filter to make it able to change width & height. *dream*

Because It´s a nice one.

Edit:

For now I´ve chosen another filter to give this character (Joso from my project ´On VaCaTion´) more slimness. I´ve forgotten what filter I used. I think it´s the ´Power of Cosine´...

Looks like this in Games:

@RPG-Baze

You could try doing the basic resizing using XBR, then tweak it to the exact dimensions in e.g. GIMP.

RyanBram and Tastica like this

Sorry for everyone for not watching this thread for a long time.

Would be nice if the developers would think about an update for this filter to make it able to change width & height. *dream*
Because It´s a nice one.

This was a limitation of PixelArt Scaling Algorithm. It almost impossible to determine the output size, because the purpose of this filter is for Upscaling (Which mean by scale : 2:1, 3:1, or 4:1). The solution is as I mentioned in main post or what ksjp17 said. In ImageResizer software, we are not only providing PixelArt scaling algorithm, but also every scaling algorithm that may ever exist. That's why you can see Lanczos algorithm in our software even though it isn't categorized as PixelArt Scaling Algorithm. (You can distinguish which one is categorized as pixel art scaling algorithm and which one is didn't by looking target resolution feature. If you can set the target resolution, it means that currently you are choosing non PixelArt scaling algorithm and I don't recommend you to use it for upscaling your pixel art. Use the pixel art scaling algorithm one.

IMHO, currently the best algorithm for upscaling pixel art is xBR. Use it if you want high quality output. Hqx is also nice, but xBR usually producing better result. xBR also provide NoBlend feature which Hqx didn't have. This feature doesn't give additional color for your pixel art picture. If your current sprite has 8 number of unique colors, it will stay in 8 unique colors eventhough it resized multiple times with "xBR 3x <NoBlend>" as provided by this example:

For example is below Mario 0-Mario.png images:

1=>1-Mario_8x.png; 2=>2-Mario_Lanczos.png; 3=>3-Mario_GenuineFractals.png;

4=>4-Mario_Portrace.png; 5=>5-Mario_Hqx.png; 6=>6-Mario_xBR(NoBlend).png
Notes:
Original (Unique Color: 4, Size: 380 bytes)
1. Nearest Neighbour (Unique Color:  4, Size: 950 bytes)
2. Lanczos (Unique Color: 15278, Size: 38.69 kilobytes)
3. Genuine Fractals (Unique Color: 17150, Size: 41.67 kilobytes)
4. Portrace (Inkscape) (Unique Color: 1274, Size: 12.76 kilobytes)
5. Hqx (Unique Color: 63, Size: 4.02 kilobytes)
6. xBR (NoBlend) (Unique Color: 4, Size: 2.16 kilobytes)

As you can see, when using pixel art scaling algorithm such as Hqx and xBR the image can be magnified eight times while maintaining it's quality. If you want to exam more deeply, there is almost no additional color in this image when using this pixel scaling algorithm while in Lanczos or even the patented Genuine Fractals there are too many additional colors even though the quality is still inferior. I don't want to say that Lanczos or another filter is worse than Pixel Art filter, but it just doesn't suitable for pixel art.

For RPG Baze, if what you want is to make your character more proportional (changing aspect ratio), maybe ImageResizer doesn't suitable for it. You can create one from scratch by yourself, or consider to visit this website, than give final touch for the results with ImageResizer BD  or another image editor.

Regards.
Tastica likes this

It would be great if you could add keyboard shortcuts (Open, Save, Save As). Also, how about commercial usage of XBR method?

It would be great if you could add keyboard shortcuts (Open, Save, Save As). Also, how about commercial usage of XBR method?

Thanks for the suggestion, we'll consider it in the future release.

xBR is free and open algorithm. Anyone can modifying or enhancing it or even using it for commercial purpose. The original author of this algorithm (Hyllian) can be reached in this forum http://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2248 . The C++ source code can be found in the following website http://sourceforge.net/p/paintown/code/7982/tree/trunk/src/util/graphics/sdl/ .