Photo
* * * * - 14 votes

Profit Motive: A Business Adventure

RPG Maker VX RPG Business Turn-Based Profit Motive

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

#1 Sage

Sage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

"A Business Adventure."

Posted Image

Game Demo:

Profit Motive Demo Version 4.0 (187MB)
Note that if you have AVG security it might think the game.exe is an untrusted program, but it is not :)

Official Website

http://profitmotivegame.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPECIAL NEWS AND EVENTS - September 29th, 2012

VOTING IS NOW OPEN for the second Profit Motive Fan Art Contest:

http://forums.rpgmak...test-2-winners/

Good luck to all entrants.

See the winners from the previous fan art contest here:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game Summary

Profit Motive is a modern day, corporate themed RPG. Players assume the role of Myron Meckler, a one-time executive of a major corporation who has been betrayed by his former supervisor and expelled from the company in dishonor. The game follows Myron as he strives to regain his power and position in the business world.

Players will start out as a small business owner surviving the wiles of unruly and unethical competition and grow into a mega conglomerate vying for power against rival companies in intense corporate warfare.

Key Game Features
  • Over the top battles featuring a unique Turn-Based Combat System.
  • The ability to hire key staff and gain the support of NPCs in the world who can be "Summoned"to your aid in battle.
  • 4 Stages of Business Development including: Lv.1) Small Business, Lv.2) Franchise, Lv.3) International Corporation, Lv.4) Mega Conglomeration. (Note that this DEMO only features the 1st stage).
  • Each level introduces new gameplay mechanics and player abilities that add depth and strategy to the battles.
  • Corporate themed story world with lots of interesting character side stories and open-world missions that explore multiple aspects of running a business.
  • High quality background, sprite, and graphic interface art.
Screen Shots:(Some tiles and sprites shown below are early WIP and will be replaced eventually)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

See more screen shots here:
Spoiler

Playtest Questionnaire:

If you have a few free moments to fill out the following questionnaire after plaything the game, we'd really appreciate it. We're looking to do whatever we have to in order to improve the quality of the design and the overall gameplay experience:

Profit Motive: Game Experience Questionnaire

Special Thanks to everyone who has sent in feedback so far! All your thoughtful comments and suggestions for improving the game are being taken to heart and acted upon :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Project Status and Updates
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version 4.0 Updates (August 15th, 2012)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what's new in this latest version:
  • All player suit graphics are in and now show up in battles.
  • Key Staff also now have different outfits that get unlocked based on leveling them up.
  • All placeholder character and NPC sprites have been replaced
  • The Profit Meter, Capital, and PP HUD visuals have been added (Yay! No more number boxes!)
  • A first pass has been done on all the tileart for Market Town's exterior (still not many interiors done yet...)
  • The dialogue for the first 3 missions of the game has been revised and edited so there are a lot less spelling errors now and better writing :)
  • A first pass of most sound effects are in.
  • Massive amount of Bug Fixes both graphical and technical.
  • And finally, a new side-quest and Key Staff character and abilities has been added. Introducing the accountant Esper!:
Posted Image

There are still issues with the passage settings and some areas, but nothing that should block game progression (save often!).

The next big update will come in December. We should have the location map and new interface for the battle HUD working as well as the revised intro and endings.

Bugs

Please report any bugs you find in the demo and I'll work on getting them fixed.

That's it really. The more feedback we can get at this stage the better.

Known Issues

There are quite a few bugs and polish issues that I'm aware of and will be addressing in the next few iterations of the demo. They are:
  • Passage settings are not set for a few swapped tilesets (i.e. Abandoned Market Town).
  • Some of the text in battles is placeholder and the AI is always showing you what they are thinking (which is just in there so that the battles are easier to debug during the development phase, they will eventually be removed).
Incoming Features

The Metagame
  • All NPCs will have Item Gifting or metagame interaction features.
  • Proper menu and interface will be developed so that players can track their progress across various aspects of their business.
The Openworld
  • More and interesting openworld events will be hooked up.
  • Current side missions will be completed and polished up.
  • The NPC Metagame will be expanded and finalized so almost every NPC has varied and interesting interactions.
Gameplay
  • Random and Infinite Battles will be added soon
  • The map will be fixed so that it works properly throughout the whole game.
  • All Battles will be gaining context and all of the placeholder "Attack #1", etc. will be removed. The AI will also no longer show you what they are thinking as you play, this is simply in there for debug purposes.
  • All of your choices in the dialogue branch will start to matter more and change the outcome of the story. You will also have better choices to make than what's currently been put in the demo.
  • 2-Player vs mode will be added to the final version of the demo.
The Visuals
  • More background tiles for Market Town and all the interiors will be coming soon
  • More 2D character art, sprites, and animations are on the way
  • The whole interface will be visual and all the debug boxes will be removed.
Additional Story, Character, and World Info

Story Development

Players start as a small business owner seeking to survive in a sea of rival business and grow to the most successful corporation in the world. They must overcome a myriad of business challenges including things like hiring staff, selling to customers, dealing with externalities, and toppling rival corporations in order to reach their revenue targets. In the end, the player will succeed at becoming the #1 mega conglomerate corporation, but at what cost....?
  • The story is broken up into 4 major chapters, each corresponding to one of the four business levels.
The Game World

There are 3 thematic spheres across which the player will encounter different types of challenges. The 3 spheres are: Economic, Social, and Political.
  • Political = Scenarios involving the larger world, governments, and political cost of Big Business.
  • Social = Scenarios involving people, protesters, human rights organizations, environmentalist, and the social costs of Big Business.
  • Economic = Scenarios concerned mainly with being the top dog on Wall Street and corp vs corp espionage, buyouts, take-overs, and mergers. These scenarios focus on the insane war for power and higher profit to ensure a glamorous lifestyle for the few.
Character Info

--Coming Soon--

Credits

I will be adding the list of people currently working on the project here along with any scripts or sprite characters used in the demo. I just need to gather all of that info together.

Story and Design

Kaz
Bryce Diamond

2D Art

Awagiku (Character Portraits)
Kora (Battle Background Paintings)

Animation

Aubry Mendoza

Writing and Dialogue

Mariana Sabino
Maia
Rixis

Greyblock Background

Kaz
Bryce

Eventing

Kaz
Bryce
Rixis

Scripts

Some_Person (various script fixes and custom scripts)
Modern Algebra's ATS2.0, Book Reader, and Quest Journal
Soja Bird's HUD Var
More credits on the way...

Sprites and Tiles

Jose Antonio
Jan Halfer
Mack and [Chiaki]
NZ Nathan
Jalen
Zachy
qtpi0121
Zanyzora (tilesets)
Dinnerman Sprites
Kaz (a few sprite edits)
http://www.court-records.net
PrimeOp
Antifarea
TSR
Shiaoran
gabrielusa911

Music and Sound

Wayne Dineley

Want to help support this game? Here's how you can help:

Spoiler

Edited by Sage, 17 December 2012 - 12:17 AM.

#2 WoE_Guardian

WoE_Guardian

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

I'll be the first one to comment on this.

I'll give you this, +4500 points for originality. I...can't say I've ever seen a game like this, much less in RPG Maker. Everything about it looks well thought out and professional. Graphics are top notch, both character sets and the graphic art.

As a real life manager, I'm actually...pretty interested in seeing how this plays. I can't say that you'll have a big following on the standard RPG Maker Forums (I'd imagine fans of Phoenix Wright will like it), I can promise you that many of the more experience RPG Maker community members will praise this a lot.

Posted Image

Whispers of Eternity - Coming Soon -

Link to WoE development page: http://whispersofete....wordpress.com/

---

Whispers of Eternity development topic updates

Updated: 03/29/12 - Updated video to show changes made since original posting. The characters reveal a little bit more of their personalities!

Story: |||||||||||||||||||| 70%

Battle System: |||||||||||||||||||| 30%

Looking For: Custom Kaduki Sprites, Parallax Mapper, Assistant Story and Battle Designer

#3 Dagny

Dagny

• Banned
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

this looks fricking incredible. best rm game i've seen in a damn long time.

edit: the plural of "passerby" is "passersby"

Edited by needles, 01 April 2012 - 07:13 PM.

finalbossblues.com podcasts, tutorials, articles

#4 Sage

Sage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for the comments guys! Please do give it a playthrough and let us know what you think.

-Sage

#5 Yip

Yip

Has a New Eay-Mayul

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:24 AM

Honestly one of the most impressive and creative things I've seen made with RPG Maker. I'm not a huge fan of JRPGs as a whole (definitely in the wrong place then, eh?), but I could definitely see myself enjoying this, it doesn't look like it takes itself too seriously, sticks itself out from the other games, etc.

I will definitely download this in the morning and tell you my thoughts.
ylQmT.jpg ««« Visit the Remarkable Beards Website! It's bootefel.
iwqEW.png ««« Oh boy, this again.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

#6 Sage

Sage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

Thanks Yip,

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

-Sage

#7 Yip

Yip

Has a New Eay-Mayul

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

Sorry for the delay, I tried starting the game up and got a .dll load error, then I forgot to try to fix it. (I'll try it again sometime tomorrow, I promise.)

I think it might be because I don't have VXs' RTP or something (though I swore I did).
ylQmT.jpg ««« Visit the Remarkable Beards Website! It's bootefel.
iwqEW.png ««« Oh boy, this again.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

#8 yieldingmydestiny

yieldingmydestiny

n00b

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

Holy buddha-damn crap! This is uhmazing! Giving this a shot or two is more than mandatory!

#9 Kotaro

Kotaro

Übernerd

• Early Adopter
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

The title reminds me of Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure, but the premise reminds me of Recettear: An Item Shop's Taie, just set in the modern day. Capitalism, ho!
I'm definitely picking this up when it's finished.

And I need to point out (second time it's here in this thread), the plural of "passerby" is not "passerbyers" but "passersby." Grammatical errors like this in games really bug me...
"They found only an old man who claimed that nothing was true, although he was later discovered to be lying."
--Douglas Adams

Posted Image
Currently in need of a graphics artist.

#10 Asterisk

Asterisk

アステリ (ノ ̄ー ̄)ノ♪

• Early Adopter
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

Like I said in different places before, this is awesome <3333
Victory is sweetest when you've known defeat.

(´・ω・`)応援します 
Spoiler

#11 Sage

Sage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the feedback and comments guys! We'll be continuing to make it better over the next year. We're just now getting around to doing a second pass on the story and dialogue, so hopefully we can sort out the spelling and grammar issues over the next few builds.

Cheers,

-Sage

#12 Kotaro

Kotaro

Übernerd

• Early Adopter
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

I just realized something: that guy in the third screenshot looks identical to Diego Armando from the third Phoenix Wright game. And some other characters seen here look like characters from the series, too. And there's one guy who looks sort of like that one guy from The World Ends with You (whose name I can't remember at this moment). I just felt I should point this out...

Edited by Kotaro, 09 April 2012 - 09:29 PM.

"They found only an old man who claimed that nothing was true, although he was later discovered to be lying."
--Douglas Adams

Posted Image
Currently in need of a graphics artist.

#13 Sage

Sage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

I just realized something: that guy in the third screenshot looks identical to Diego Armando from the third Phoenix Wright game. And some other characters seen here look like characters from the series, too. And there's one guy who looks sort of like that one guy from The World Ends with You (whose name I can't remember at this moment). I just felt I should point this out...

Hi Kotaro,

Thanks for the comments. I've heard the Diego reference before. We'll look into varying our character up a bit more as we do more passes on the art to avoid any comparisons. I haven't heard the World Ends With You reference before though. Do you happen to have a pict of the character?

Cheers,

-Sage

#14 Sage

Sage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

Profit Motive Version 4.0 is out! Enjoy!!

-Sage

#15 Sage

Sage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

The post has been updated with news of the new Profit Motive Fan Art Contest! You can find the details here on the forums: http://forums.rpgmak...-2-with-prizes/

#16 Sage

Sage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

We've added some free tiles from Profit Motive to the resources page, if anyone is interested:

http://forums.rpgmak...xtra-tile-sets/

-Sage

#17 Sage

Sage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

Now that version 4 is out, we're already hard at work on version 5 scheduled for release this December! I'll continue to post updates on it here.

First up, check out the new art for Niles, the Marketing Key Staff member you'll be able to hire in Version 5:

Posted Image

More updates to come!

-Sage

Edited by Sage, 18 August 2012 - 11:46 AM.

#18 Sage

Sage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:23 AM

One minor note is that we found and fixed a few big bugs today, so the build has been updated with the fixes (if you've already started playing you can simply copy your save files over and everything should work fine).

-Sage

#19 Mako

Mako

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter+
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

God this game looks so good! @_@ This is a Day 1 buy/obtain for me. Keep it up.

#20 Sage

Sage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

Thanks Mako! Be sure to give the demo a try and let us know what you think :)

-Sage