Photo

Map in game

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bradybread

Bradybread

• Early Adopter
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

Hello everyone! I've had some basic level introduction to RPG maker VX and have recently purchased RPGmaker VX ace.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do a map of a dungeon or area? I have an idea of being able to sail around in the ocean with various islands that you can go to, it would be great if maybe there was a keyitem called the map that you could select to display a map of the area and where you currently are. If this has ever been done before or anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful! Thanks

#2 Lunarea

Lunarea

Artist

• Admin
  • 5,330 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

It is easiest to accomplish a mini-map via scripting.

Mr Bubble has posted a translated version of such a script here. If that's not exactly what you need, you're welcome to post a script request in the request forum. :)

My blog:

DevBlogSig.png

My current projects:

TUAH-userbar.png

Userbar-ST.png

#3 Bradybread

Bradybread

• Early Adopter
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the link Lunarea although I think it is broken. It goes to an error page! Maybe you could repost it for me? :)

#4 Lunarea

Lunarea

Artist

• Admin
  • 5,330 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

It works for me, though you may need to be registered on that forum first. :)

My blog:

DevBlogSig.png

My current projects:

TUAH-userbar.png

Userbar-ST.png

#5 Bradybread

Bradybread

• Early Adopter
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

Hmmm, you're probably right. I'll register and try again!

#6 Velex

Velex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

Although it doesn't sound like exactly what you were looking for, you might also be interested in Celianna's World Map Maker. For the rpg I'm working on I have the world map I made with this set to display on screen when the player uses a "world map" item from the inventory.
>Rail to Rail to>

#7 mlogan

mlogan

Advanced Member

• Member+
  • 1,272 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

Lunarea, is the link for a script to make a minimap of where you've already been in a dungeon? I've been looking for something like that, and I'm trying to decide if I want to sign up for that forum to see it.

s5fgad.png

aiOAsFG.png

aOnLlVz.png

spwyur.png

#8 Lunarea

Lunarea

Artist

• Admin
  • 5,330 posts

User's Awards

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

It's a a passability mini-map HUD, meaning that you can see where the paths/roads are on the map relative to your current location. I'm not sure if that's exactly what you need, since it may display areas that the player hasn't visited yet. But it's worth checking out, at the very least.

If you haven't considered it already, you can try making a script request for a more complex mini-map (things like only displaying certain regions or displaying extra information would be interesting!) in the script request forum. We have some very talented scripters on the boards here, so bring your needs to their attention via requests. :)

My blog:

DevBlogSig.png

My current projects:

TUAH-userbar.png

Userbar-ST.png

#9 mlogan

mlogan

Advanced Member

• Member+
  • 1,272 posts

User's Awards

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

Thanks Lunarea! I think I will check that one out, it might serve my purpose, and I will definitely keep script requesting in mind.

s5fgad.png

aiOAsFG.png

aOnLlVz.png

spwyur.png

#10 Falados

Falados

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Logan if you do find a good mini map please message me cuz im also wanting a map layers can call to check locations

#11 mlogan

mlogan

Advanced Member

• Member+
  • 1,272 posts

User's Awards

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Falados, the one linked to above actually works great. It was the first script I've ever worked with, and I figured it out after a couple of tries (and a bit more careful reading the second time). The only thing I would like different, is if it didn't show the path until you actually walked on it, and I've put in a request in scripting.

s5fgad.png

aiOAsFG.png

aOnLlVz.png

spwyur.png

#12 Falados

Falados

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

ya i'd like a map that is an item assigned to a key like "m" for map, that will show a map of the world like the one celianna has linked up there but i want like a location indicator to show the player where they are on the map ... probably takes a script like you say