Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Halloween Flop

RPG Maker VXAce RPG Comedy short

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Yato

Yato

(aka Racheal)

• Early Adopter
  • 536 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

HFspread.png

Pick up your copy today!
title-america.png - title-japan.png
Click either of the game covers to download from your choice of links

Details and screenshots hidden inside specially marked boxes
Spoiler

Edited by Racheal, 20 May 2013 - 11:18 AM.

sig-HB.png HFbar.png

Spoiler

#2 West_Winds

West_Winds

Fun guy

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:02 AM

This looks AMAZING. I love the graphics. I'll have to get myself a copy, of course I need to know where it's being sold.

#3 Yato

Yato

(aka Racheal)

• Early Adopter
  • 536 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

You can pick up your copy at any local RMN, or for those purists out there, import the original Japanese Edition from Dragonfly Importers.

*Please note, customs will exchange your imported Japanese game file with an American file at the border. You will still get the original Japanese cover art though! We're sorry for the inconvenience.

(And just in case, just click on one of the game covers to download)

Edited by Racheal, 01 April 2013 - 07:30 AM.

sig-HB.png HFbar.png

Spoiler

#4 West_Winds

West_Winds

Fun guy

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

I love this game. :) The style of the art, the music, the gameplay. It is very highly polished. You did a spectacular job. I haven't finished it yet. I got my bum handed to me, I need to rethink my strategy. Really great game.

#5 Yato

Yato

(aka Racheal)

• Early Adopter
  • 536 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

I love hearing people say they love it <3 Thanks so much.
I'm curious as to which battle gave you difficulty?

----

Now that it's been a couple days, I've edited the first post to include an About the Game section. We had a lot of fun, influenced by the release day, creating a very late '80s early '90s style promotion for it.

Things I learned from this project:
-Don't be so stubborn about using community scripts when the game is small and for a contest and a script exists that will do almost EXACTLY what you want with only a little tweaking. The game could have been released for the contest if I had only realised this then. After ignoring this for months, the vast majority of the work was finished in under a week!
-Man, action patterns suck and don't work sometimes. Why is my rating 2 skill being used almost every turn when there's a nice handy rating 6 one? Also, enemy targeting, wth? Why must you heal that frog every single turn, Ashley? It's not even hurt.
-On the flip side, battle events are fun for making the computer have some form of intelligence, aka, don't heal the fully healed you dolts. I could see it being a pain on a large scale though.
-Auto-life is easier to event that I would have expected, huh. Easier than coding it, at least on a small-scale level.
-Balancing battles is actually fun when you make them interesting. Who knew, right?

Next up is probably a slightly longer RPG (2-4 hours-ish?) to further work on that gameplay focus. Either that or Castle Chase 2, heh. If only there we more hours in the week.

Edited by Racheal, 03 April 2013 - 10:08 PM.

sig-HB.png HFbar.png

Spoiler

#6 Yato

Yato

(aka Racheal)

• Early Adopter
  • 536 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

After a wonderful Let's Play by Stevie and a review by C_C, I've updated the game with a few minor changes. Nothing worth redownloading if you've already downloaded it, but just a few little things that we noticed while watching these videos.
-Cleaned up the display of the enemy's HP/MP/BP
-Corrected an error that left the enemies with low starting BP; also gave Delila a minimum amount to start with if you finished the previous battle low
-Fixed a logical error in healing AI that made enemies that can heal particularly annoying after losing one ally
-Some slight adjustments to skill balances
-Tried to make the final battle a little harder since it's kind of annoying that due to lack of group synergy, it is not the hardest fight. Curse you lack of synergy for character reasons *shakes fist*
-Various minor typos
-Probably a few minor things that I've forgotten or aren't worth mentioning but they bugged me, so I fixed them

We'll give it another couple weeks and then we'll list off the numerous references in this game, most of which are probably too trivial and specific to be caught.

sig-HB.png HFbar.png

Spoiler

#7 Yato

Yato

(aka Racheal)

• Early Adopter
  • 536 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

HFLivestream.PNG
So originally we were just going to post a list of references in the game, but we thought it might be fun to mark the one month since release date with a livestream of us playing the game and mentioning all the little references and things that you might not have seen. So join us at Maki's livestream channel tomorrow at 8 pm GMT (1 pm MST / 3 pm EST) if you're interested. I'll post a status update about it once we're live.

Also the first time I've had to triple post.

Edited by Racheal, 20 May 2013 - 11:21 AM.

sig-HB.png HFbar.png

Spoiler

#8 SandofDestiny

SandofDestiny

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

I loved the story, the music was fantastic and the characters relate to me in so many ways. :guffaw: