Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yato

RPG Maker VXAce Halloween Flop

8 posts in this topic

HFspread.png

Pick up your copy today!
title-america.png - title-japan.png
Click either of the game covers to download from your choice of links

Details and screenshots hidden inside specially marked boxes
ABOUT
This project was originally designed for a Halloween contest at rpgmaker.net. Even as the short project it is, we got a little too ambitious and outside our comfort zone to be even remotely close to done on time. The project was put to the side, and we finally picked it up and finished it when the timing seemed right. The decision was also made to actually use publicly released scripts for the first time. If it were not for that decision, this might have never seen release. The rare alignment of days creating the perfect day to release also helped it to see release. Who would expect a Halloween game on Easter Monday for April Fools after all.

As to the actual game, we wanted to shift our usual focus and try to make a game with interesting battles. As to if we succeeded on that, well, we'll have to wait and see on that one. It's definitely more interesting than anything else we've previous crafted, but it's hard to judge your own work sometimes, especially when you hold it dear. That's not to say we abandoned what we enjoy. This still has just as many quirky characters and original art as anything else we've ever released! We certainly went over the top with filling this with as many stupid references as we could.

We hope you enjoy our little side project! Feel free to share any references you catch. They are wide and varied, so it will be interesting to see what is caught.

SCREENSHOTS
Opening-Half.png-Tunnels-Half.png

Battle-Half.png-Menu-Half.png

CREDITS
Art by MakioKuta
Scripts by Racheal and Yanfly
Thanks to all our testers

This looks AMAZING. I love the graphics. I'll have to get myself a copy, of course I need to know where it's being sold.

You can pick up your copy at any local http://rpgmaker.net/games/4539/downloads/4443/'>RMN, or for those purists out there, import the original Japanese Edition from http://etherealdreams.org/Halloween/HalloweenFlop.zip'>Dragonfly Importers.

*Please note, customs will exchange your imported Japanese game file with an American file at the border. You will still get the original Japanese cover art though! We're sorry for the inconvenience.

(And just in case, just click on one of the game covers to download)

I love this game. :) The style of the art, the music, the gameplay. It is very highly polished. You did a spectacular job. I haven't finished it yet. I got my bum handed to me, I need to rethink my strategy. Really great game.

I love hearing people say they love it <3 Thanks so much.

I'm curious as to which battle gave you difficulty?

----

Now that it's been a couple days, I've edited the first post to include an About the Game section. We had a lot of fun, influenced by the release day, creating a very late '80s early '90s style promotion for it.

Things I learned from this project:

-Don't be so stubborn about using community scripts when the game is small and for a contest and a script exists that will do almost EXACTLY what you want with only a little tweaking. The game could have been released for the contest if I had only realised this then. After ignoring this for months, the vast majority of the work was finished in under a week!

-Man, action patterns suck and don't work sometimes. Why is my rating 2 skill being used almost every turn when there's a nice handy rating 6 one? Also, enemy targeting, wth? Why must you heal that frog every single turn, Ashley? It's not even hurt.

-On the flip side, battle events are fun for making the computer have some form of intelligence, aka, don't heal the fully healed you dolts. I could see it being a pain on a large scale though.

-Auto-life is easier to event that I would have expected, huh. Easier than coding it, at least on a small-scale level.

-Balancing battles is actually fun when you make them interesting. Who knew, right?

Next up is probably a slightly longer RPG (2-4 hours-ish?) to further work on that gameplay focus. Either that or Castle Chase 2, heh. If only there we more hours in the week.

Archeia likes this

After a wonderful Let's Play by Stevie and a review by C_C, I've updated the game with a few minor changes. Nothing worth redownloading if you've already downloaded it, but just a few little things that we noticed while watching these videos.

-Cleaned up the display of the enemy's HP/MP/BP

-Corrected an error that left the enemies with low starting BP; also gave Delila a minimum amount to start with if you finished the previous battle low

-Fixed a logical error in healing AI that made enemies that can heal particularly annoying after losing one ally

-Some slight adjustments to skill balances

-Tried to make the final battle a little harder since it's kind of annoying that due to lack of group synergy, it is not the hardest fight. Curse you lack of synergy for character reasons *shakes fist*

-Various minor typos

-Probably a few minor things that I've forgotten or aren't worth mentioning but they bugged me, so I fixed them

We'll give it another couple weeks and then we'll list off the numerous references in this game, most of which are probably too trivial and specific to be caught.

Animus likes this

HFLivestream.PNG

So originally we were just going to post a list of references in the game, but we thought it might be fun to mark the one month since release date with a livestream of us playing the game and mentioning all the little references and things that you might not have seen. So join us at Maki's livestream channel tomorrow at 8 pm GMT (1 pm MST / 3 pm EST) if you're interested. I'll post a status update about it once we're live.

Also the first time I've had to triple post.

I loved the story, the music was fantastic and the characters relate to me in so many ways. :guffaw: