Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thortuga

Advice on creating World Map

Question

I am looking for advice/tips/feedback/criticism on creating a World Map. I have created one continent so far, and I don't want to go any further yet if there is a fundamental flaw in my design techniques.

I have included a picture of my work so far (zoomed to 1/8). Any advice is appreciated... I created it all from an artistic perspective, not from a professional-looking game development perspective. Let me know what you think, thanks.

Edit: disregard any houses/castles. Those will be deleted or moved around at some point.

post-13590-0-31694900-1365926274_thumb.p

4 answers to this question

I think that your continent is awesome as it is. :)

Granted, my mapping skills are not that good (I've gotten better as I've developed my game), but in my opinion you definitely have a pretty good continent that could be used for an entire game if you decided you didn't want any more continents.

Great work Thortuga! :D

From the point of real mapping, there are some rivers missing. you can't have a continent that big without some way of collecting and moving water (unless you declare it works by the magic of your fantasy world ;-))

From a game developer's point, you might want to create some more barriers to prevent the player from entering high-level-regions with a low level actor.

If you start on the right part, that has enough separations - but the left part is basically only three large areas. That works only if the player already has a medium to high level before entering the left part of the map (you can't have that large areas without making them somehow different in design, enemies, effects or something - the player would be bored, especially if areas that size are balanced for low level actors)

Aside from that, the map looks good

@ Winterfate: Thanks for the positive feedback :)

@ Andar: Yeah I get what you're saying about having more barriers... looking at it know I see you're right about the lack of separations on the large left island. 

I may try to add some rivers like you suggest (something I completely forgot, lol) and use them for the barriers, killing two birds with one stone.

Definitely great suggestions, thanks :)