Photo

Set the Setting Contest

Contest RMU arum

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#1 NuSevith

NuSevith

Retired Bear Fighter

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

Well, sorry for the delay people. I know some of you were waiting for the details to come out, so here they are!

Arum, the RM Universe:

Set the Setting! Contest

Objective:
Make a game in the RMU setting. (For more information about the RMU setting: http://forums.rpgmak...the-rm-universe )

Deadline:
End of April [11:59 EST, April 30th]

Rules:
-The game has to take place in the Arum world.
-All credits must be given for resources.
-All submissions must be unencrypted, unless with a judge's permission for special cases (such as wanting to protect any scripts or resources that you don't want to go public).
-Submit all entries to me (Sevith) by the deadline. Preferred upload site is Mediafire.

More Information:
-Extra points will be awarded for referencing other Arum games/places/factions/characters/etc. We encourage to work together with other developers to reference other games.
-You can use stuff you were already working on (ideas, some maps, an early demo), but you can’t submit something you were about to finish anyway and just entered it in the contest.
-We accept any RM game format, but we’d prefer you to use VX or Ace.
-Judges can submit games, but will get no prizes.
-You can work as a team or alone, but for this contest we want to put out as many games as possible so the Arum setting gets a nice boost in content. You should talk to other people and your friends into entering the contest! This would be an easy way to get some bonus points for continuity.
-Remember that you only have a month to make the game, so don't try to make too big of a game. Better to make a short game and have extra time to make it longer, than to shoot for a long game and not finish on time.

Judging Criteria:
Story- Plot, dialogue, writing, etc.
Gameplay- Bug free, fun factor, how it plays, etc.
Style- Graphics, mapping, visuals, etc.
Continuity- How well it fits into the RMU setting

Prizes:
Prizes will be finalized and announced soon

ubd236671.png
MrAUserbar.jpg

#2 Indrah

Indrah

Maker of silly games

• Member+
  • 1,064 posts

User's Awards

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

Relevant Edit:
Visit here to see the Country Reference map and submit your info (please read the rules).
http://forums.rpgmak...countries-here/

-----
Finally! I'll be participiating in this with the full verision (or second demo if I can't make it) of In Search for Dragons :>

Btw you should add who the judges will be, Sevith, and how to submit entries.

Edited by Indrah, 09 April 2012 - 10:44 AM.

starfavorsupport.png
My latest game and first solo effort, made in a week!Its cute and silly, I can promise that XD
hyk3l7s.png
VFl4vJK.pngIsoI_support.pngDUffFil.png

My youtube channel

Let's Plays/Try of RM games and other stuff(Lots of cursing and horrible accents ahoy)

Click here for my profile with the full list of projects and games.

#3 NuSevith

NuSevith

Retired Bear Fighter

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

Updated the thread to include how to submit entries. Judges are still being finalized and will be announced soon.

ubd236671.png
MrAUserbar.jpg

#4 Denn

Denn

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

This sounds pretty cool. Is there any sort of signing up that needs to be done? And is this information in the RM Universe topic all there is to work with so far, or is there more information to utilize somewhere, like a timeline of some sort? Or is that something that will develop over time as more projects are created?

#5 Indrah

Indrah

Maker of silly games

• Member+
  • 1,064 posts

User's Awards

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

This sounds pretty cool. Is there any sort of signing up that needs to be done? And is this information in the RM Universe topic all there is to work with so far, or is there more information to utilize somewhere, like a timeline of some sort? Or is that something that will develop over time as more projects are created?

You can just say "hey, im participating!" and maybe make a game topic so other devs can see what you're working on? Sort of thing.

The RMU info topic has all the info so far. There are few devs working yet and nothing FINISHED (aka inputted oficially into the setting).
If I was you I'd swing by the irc channel and just ask around what other people will do, if you want to reference each other or work in parallell.

So far there isn't a timeline, as you said, it's something that will develop over time with projects (thus we're making a contest to give it a boost and have more projects in the setting :3)

starfavorsupport.png
My latest game and first solo effort, made in a week!Its cute and silly, I can promise that XD
hyk3l7s.png

My youtube channel

Let's Plays/Try of RM games and other stuff(Lots of cursing and horrible accents ahoy)

#6 Denn

Denn

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

I'll probably get started on something, and if I like where it's going, then I'll make a topic of some sort. Until then, I'll keep to myself for a bit and flesh out the details.

#7 mlogan

mlogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,505 posts

User's Awards

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

Woohoo! I'm working on something, hopefully it will be ready in time.

s5fgad.png

aiOAsFG.png

aOnLlVz.png

spwyur.png

#8 Rixis

Rixis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

Indra, you already know I'm entering! Im excited, Im putting all my other stuff on a bit of a hold until I finish the contest. I think i can did this done in 2 in a half weeks I hope D:!

Anyway yay!

If anyone wants to coordinate with my project, then just let me know :]

#9 Kumori

Kumori

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

I knew this holiday would prove fruitful. Time to get to work!

Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” 

so7ciw.png

#10 Count Federacy

Count Federacy

The Secret Ingredient in the New Shampoo

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

-Remember that you only have a month to make the game, so don't try to make too big of a game. Better to make a short game and have extra time to make it longer, than to shoot for a long game and not finish on time.

Welp, better adjust my game to just that if I want to get it finished anytime soon!

I will certainly try to take part in this.

Oh oh oh, can I contribute to this conversation!?

I have an opinion about a game.

You're an idiot!

If you have experience with knives, you know that when you knife a person, the person would become really agitated.

#11 Emmych

Emmych

There's a 90% I'm hitting on you right now

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Are you guys looking for TOTALLY COMPLETE AND FINISHED~~~ projects for this, or would a Part 1 sort of deal be sufficient? Like, uhh... clearly more is going to happen, but a HERE HAVE THE FIRST DISC~ sort of deal?

R-really I only ask because it changes who my lead character is going to be. OTL
I currently have a worldless character that I really want to use and I feel like this would be a good place to use them ;___;
My stuff:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Stuff I dig:

#12 Indrah

Indrah

Maker of silly games

• Member+
  • 1,064 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Mmm...I'd say yes (it should be a substantial demo, I guess). I'll ask Sevith for confirmation.

starfavorsupport.png
hyk3l7s.png

My youtube channel

#13 NuSevith

NuSevith

Retired Bear Fighter

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

Are you guys looking for TOTALLY COMPLETE AND FINISHED~~~ projects for this, or would a Part 1 sort of deal be sufficient? Like, uhh... clearly more is going to happen, but a HERE HAVE THE FIRST DISC~ sort of deal?

Official answer: To be eligible for the prizes, the project must be a completed game.

Unofficial answer: Weeeell, if a game was framed as a "Prologue" or the first part of an "Episodic" game with a "To be continued..." or something at the end, then it WOULD, technically, be a completed game.

So "The full narrative doesn't have to be complete, but the GAME does." Meaning the game isn't broken, and there is a distinctive beginning-middle-end, even if the overall narrative is not complete. If the game is just going and then kinda cuts out half way through though, that's not cool. If a game is going with some grand plot, but you only play through a portion of that plot that ends with a boss fight, end cutscene, and "To be continued..." That would be fine.

ubd236671.png
MrAUserbar.jpg

#14 Emmych

Emmych

There's a 90% I'm hitting on you right now

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Radcore; that suits my needs juuuuust fine. >w<d

Thanks, guys!
My stuff:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Stuff I dig:

#15 Luchino

Luchino

Mapping Queen

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts

User's Awards

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:08 AM

I think I'll give this a shot, since I want to make at least one small, completed game. :)

Parallax mapping is the biggest sin known to RMkind.

#16 Emzie

Emzie

ಠ_ಠ

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:04 AM

*making right now*

Current project:

None

'Cause im a lazy fawk

#17 Jay_NOLA

Jay_NOLA

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter+
  • 238 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

I'm trying to download the Arum the RM Universe Tutorial Library.exe file from the link the RMU thread and Norton has blocked the website and will not allow the file to be downloaded as it is detecting problems with the site and the file.

You might want to look into that or have the Demo for download on a mirror or submit the Demo to Norton

#18 Indrah

Indrah

Maker of silly games

• Member+
  • 1,064 posts

User's Awards

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

Tell the antivirus to stop freaking out, the link is safe XD

starfavorsupport.png
hyk3l7s.png

My youtube channel

#19 MrRaiho

MrRaiho

Lazy-Detective

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Well I'm in! I need something to work on this spring
I support!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Reverie Raven