Photo

beginning story map?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Falados

Falados

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

hey, this is probably a dumb question but... does anyone know how to create a beginning map or scene that will show text that will have a background that displays kinda the story line of the game, kinda like star wars does at the beginning but i dont need it to scroll lol.. i'd also like to add voice background reading the text to the player but i know how to do that i think i just upload a sound and implement it into it as an event of bg music right? ... wasnt sure on this since my beginning starts me on my map that has my starting position, if i need to just put in an event or make a new map for it

#2 Celianna

Celianna

VX/Ace tileset artist

• Global Moderators
  • 6,798 posts

User's Awards

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:00 PM

You will always start in a map, and you can change the starting position in the database, or simply right-clicking anywhere on the map, and selecting 'Set as starting position > Player'.

You can show pictures as well, by using the 'show picture' command in an event, and the text will overlap these pictures.

As for the voice, you can upload it as separate sound effects, and simply play each sound effect before the text command, or you could use it as a BG ... which I don't recommend, unless you sync the text with the song.

new_logo_small_zpsae8f2402.png
A new dungeon-themed tileset in the works.

#3 SOC

SOC

"God is my Judge"

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

Well, if you don't mind scrolling text, the easiest way to do this is to make a map that's pure black, with the "nothing" tile. Set player start position on that map somewhere, and go to database -> system -> start transparent. Then, make an auto run event that displays scrolling text with the sound file (or ME I guess) of your voice. Play around with scrolling text's speed to match your voice sound, and voila~ After the event is done, have it transfer the player to the next map/cutscene/whatever you want, making sure to turn player transparency off when you're ready for it to be off.

Edited by SOC, 05 April 2012 - 06:10 PM.

8.jpgnewcloudstand.gifcronostand.gifsamus0.gifnewxstand.gifsomastand.gif

"Good models last until the next generation. Good sprites last forever." - Great graphic/art design wisdom

#4 jardantuan

jardantuan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

What I've done is probably more complicated than it needs to be. I went into the script editor and added a line to set switch 001 to on when the player clicks new game at the start. This way, I can have an event take place on a map, but only at the start of the game.

However, you could also use a separate blank map, have the character made invisible (Transparency ON) and roll the text through an event, then move to another map.

Judging by what you want to do, I think the latter is better - if you wanted to have characters acting out a scene though, the first would probably be best.