Kelsper

[-Beginner/General-] Beginner's Guide to RPG Maker VX Ace

77 posts in this topic

This is version 0.9. Remember that this is still under version 1.0, so it is not "completed." I'm mainly happy with the way the guide turned out, but I still didn't put in some sections that I wanted to because I wanted to get this out. This is basically done, and anything added to it will be new sections that will try to expand on other areas.

http://www.scribd.co...PG-Maker-VX-Ace

This is a big file, don't be surprised if it takes a while to load.

If you need to click on a link, simply hold Ctrl and click on them to open the link in a new window.

EDIT 29/07/12: Download link for current version of the .pdf and the example game is now up at

https://www.mediafire.com/?0px5febynz50b9i

Alternative link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99gmn0uu48zehyu/The%20Ring%20of%20Udrai.rar

If anyone has any suggestions about what to add or perhaps things I have missed out, you can reply or contact me. If you wish to contact me privately my email is kelsper@hotmail.co.uk.

Happy creating, Kelsper.

Edited by Andar
fixed alternate link (BBC was wrongly coded)
Corto, Ally, BigDog and 17 others like this

I realize this is still in development. But thank you! Thank you so much for this tutorial!

Looks good!

Will check it out in the weekend when I have more time and will post feedback! :)

Thank you for your work so far. I will have a look. Couldn't it dl though, you might want to try another host.

I went quickly through the text file. It is a very comprehensive tutorial, so thank you very much for your work. And it looked pretty good!

Edited by Physeter

I've already read your first guide on Rpg maker Vx and it helped me a lot.

This guide is really nice too and I hope, you will be able to finish it.

Good luck.

Kelsper, you are a Tutorial God. I haven't gone through the whole guide yet, but if you are looking for ideas, since it's easier to creating interesting battle formulas, I suppose some examples for more complicated and strategical boss battles would be a nice idea. You can also do script calls of sorts in formulas, so maybe something to that effect.

mlogan likes this

I've just gotta throw my two cents in. You've said that is v0.4, right? So you're going to be, what, doubling the content? Because what you have already is amazing, and probably one of the most concise and useful RM primers I've come across. If I'm this content using the beta guide, I can't wait to see what the final tutorial is going to look like. :)

I just scrapped some time and managed to finish the guide.

It's pretty cool actually. The approach of theory + examples makes things easier to remember.

The writing style is easy to read and the formatting is helpful.

One minor critic is the order of laying out the chapters. Perhaps it's the inter-connectivity of the editor but at the beginning we jump from one segment to another pretty quickly.

However it's very minor issue, if it is issue at all. At the end this is editor guide, not game design guide!

Keep the good work!

This tutorial was amazing!

I didn't have a clue about any rpg maker. First I was really overwhelmed, when I saw the RPG Maker VX Ace. So many options! I read the tutorial, creating the sample game while reading and now I'm feeling much more confident with the program. Your tutorial is very well written and never left me with any questions. I like that you showed every step with pictures. Great Work.

Thank you!

This is an excellent beginners' guide. I learned a few tricks. :)

Any plans on making an intermediate guide to RPG Maker VX Ace?

Great guide! Helped me get a grasp of all the basics that I was having trouble with. Can't wait to see what you add to it in the future.

Is there any way you can upload this on mediafire or dropbox? i cant download it from multiuploads and i cant get the page to load on scribd

Edited by wild_bill236

Awesome guide for a relative newbie.

I would prefer to have started learning by defining the characters first, but starting with mapping does provide a flow too. :)

so far i found 4 thing i'd like to see in it and i'll try to expain the best way i can:

1: end credits. a scrolling end credits not on the side but in the middle of the screen.

2: 2-handed sword equipped with a shield. in one of my game i'm gonna be working on in the future, i want one of my characters to be able to equip a 2-handed sword and a shield.

3: a shop with choices. a weapon shop that asks you if you wanna buy something, if you answer yes he ask if you want to buy weapon, armor, or accessory. the items he has for sell depends on your answer.

4:location on the map. i been trying to figure out how to make an item or skill where when i use it, it tells me my location on the map like in the original dragon warrior game.

if i think of any more i'll be sure to let you know.

Edited by wild_bill236

@Kelsper

Great Guide!!

@Wild_Bill236

1: end credits. a scrolling end credits not on the side but in the middle of the screen.

Event -> Display Movie

=======================================================

This isn't "beginner" and is definately not "general". This is a remarkably specific request.

2: 2-handed sword equipped with a shield. in one of my game i'm gonna be working on in the future, i want one of my characters to be able to equip a 2-handed sword and a shield.

3: a shop with choices. a weapon shop that asks you if you wanna buy something, if you answer yes he ask if you want to buy weapon, armor, or accessory. the items he has for sell depends on your answer.

Event -> Display Choices

Again, this isn't beginner or general...

4:location on the map. i been trying to figure out how to make an item or skill where when i use it, it tells me my location on the map like in the original dragon warrior game.

As best as I can tell you'd either require a script, or have to set "Get location" and have a variable to recieve it... then have a conditional branch based on the range of [x,y] from that variable... and set each branch to display a picture (mini-map) or a message.

Edited by Levi W

I also have a suggestion. there's a part at the beginning of the game where the main character turns up to talk to another character, instead of doing that how about swapping the two characters so he wont have to turn up and he'll be already facing the one he's talking to. it's just a suggestion and it makes it look better from the players point of view, almost like the main character is waiting for the other one to come to the town.

another idea i thought about is when a character dies turn his sprite into the casket sprite.

also i'm trying to make it where when i walk over hills i move slower, but as i level up i wanna move faster until i move at a normal speed. might be done with a script but i dont know.

Edited by wild_bill236

Your tutorial is proving to be an excellent resource for a floundering beginner like myself. Keep it up!

Thank You ever so much for this tutorial. It has and will contiue to be a great help for me.

i have another idea for the guide.how about a cut sceen around a outside fire pit in the woods with the actors sitting around it.

and i found some flaws in the guide that i tried in the game hope you don't mind but here they are;

Flaws: 1. autorun event in town keeps running every time i go back to the town or leave a building.

2. the boss event where you have "Play BGM", it should be "Change Battle BGM"

but other than that i cant wait for the next installment of the guide.

I've actually found this (rather lengthy, that takes patience!) document to be quite useful, but the one thing that annoys me is when some people, rather than answering questions, are pointing people to this. From a personal standpoint, I'm a lurker. I will browse and search before asking, most of the time. I sought answers to two small things involving eventing, and anywhere I saw someone asking something similar, I saw "Go read this: <your link>." This is, sadly, quickly becoming a quick answer for newbies needing help, and does not necessarily answer questions. For the record, the one I struggled with was: For a cutscene indoors, where an NPC needs to "appear" because they came in the door, what do you do? I have since solved this, and now have a completed intro cutscene, but with many answers pointing somewhere that may not have the answers for them... I don't know what the solution is, but this is sadly making a lot of people lazy in offering help. By no means, however, take this as an accusation, your work is amazing and helpful. Some people just need to be made aware that this isn't, and likely was never meant to be a be-all-end-all solution for beginners.

Pardon my rant, however, and keep up the good work. =D

bladezuez likes this

The reason people direct people here is because things like making an NPC appear are very basic. I'm not saying somebody doesn't have to help, but generally when basic questions about the program are being asked, it's a sign that they need to understand the program before making a game... thus, the reason for this guide.

Peltron and bladezuez like this

Yes, but this guide illustrates how to make an NPC, and how to give them a movement path, but NOT how to make one appear. It may seem basic to an experienced user, but to someone whose last attempt at RPG Maker was years ago on the PS2, something such as this can have a steep initial learning curve.

I've actually found this (rather lengthy, that takes patience!) document to be quite useful, but the one thing that annoys me is when some people, rather than answering questions, are pointing people to this. From a personal standpoint, I'm a lurker. I will browse and search before asking, most of the time. I sought answers to two small things involving eventing, and anywhere I saw someone asking something similar, I saw "Go read this: <your link>." This is, sadly, quickly becoming a quick answer for newbies needing help, and does not necessarily answer questions. For the record, the one I struggled with was: For a cutscene indoors, where an NPC needs to "appear" because they came in the door, what do you do? I have since solved this, and now have a completed intro cutscene, but with many answers pointing somewhere that may not have the answers for them... I don't know what the solution is, but this is sadly making a lot of people lazy in offering help. By no means, however, take this as an accusation, your work is amazing and helpful. Some people just need to be made aware that this isn't, and likely was never meant to be a be-all-end-all solution for beginners.

Pardon my rant, however, and keep up the good work. =D

Yes, but this guide illustrates how to make an NPC, and how to give them a movement path, but NOT how to make one appear. It may seem basic to an experienced user, but to someone whose last attempt at RPG Maker was years ago on the PS2, something such as this can have a steep initial learning curve.

do you want the npc to appear after a certain event happens or how do you want it to happen? and also i don't know if you have rpg maker vx also but if you do checkout the guide for it and also look up rpg maker vx school, practice events, and lets use rpg maker vx and download them and look every thing over because it will help out alot.

While it is true that this could contribute to when asking a question people throwing you a link to this large guide and expecting you to read through it to find out a solution, it is written with the purpose of teaching you the basics and then hoping that the user will experiment in order to find out more on their own. So it is both laziness on the part of offering help, but I feel that to a degree it can also be laziness from the user in not experimenting, unless something is really beyond you. But that's just me. :3

Just to say that I've updated the guide to version 0.9 which I'm pretty happy with but there could be more added at a later date. I wanted to get this out sooner than later though and for most purposes this guide should be pretty much done.

Thanks, Kelsper.

bladezuez likes this