66 replies to this topic

#1 Kelsper

Kelsper

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

This is version 0.9. Remember that this is still under version 1.0, so it is not "completed." I'm mainly happy with the way the guide turned out, but I still didn't put in some sections that I wanted to because I wanted to get this out. This is basically done, and anything added to it will be new sections that will try to expand on other areas.
http://www.scribd.co...PG-Maker-VX-Ace

This is a big file, don't be surprised if it takes a while to load.

If you need to click on a link, simply hold Ctrl and click on them to open the link in a new window.

EDIT 29/07/12: Download link for current version of the .pdf and the example game is now up at

https://www.mediafir...0px5febynz50b9i

Alternative link:

https://www.dropbox....ng of Udrai.rar

If anyone has any suggestions about what to add or perhaps things I have missed out, you can reply or contact me. If you wish to contact me privately my email is kelsper@hotmail.co.uk.

Happy creating, Kelsper.

Edited by Kelsper, 30 May 2014 - 04:06 PM.

• Arcador, Chaos17, yieldingmydestiny and 16 others like this

#2 Sight

Sight

Legends Series

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

I realize this is still in development. But thank you! Thank you so much for this tutorial!

#3 Arcador

Arcador

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBulgaria
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageBG

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

Looks good!

Will check it out in the weekend when I have more time and will post feedback! :)
Project name: Band of Virtues: Unmasked
Progress: Characters Draft 100%, Scenario Draft 100% Script preparation: 100% Database preparation 20%
Rpg design blog: 90%

#4 Physeter

Physeter

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter
  • 90 posts
  • LocationBerlin
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageGerman

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Thank you for your work so far. I will have a look. Couldn't it dl though, you might want to try another host.

I went quickly through the text file. It is a very comprehensive tutorial, so thank you very much for your work. And it looked pretty good!

Edited by Physeter, 18 April 2012 - 01:16 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Chaos17

Chaos17

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter
  • 636 posts
  • LocationFrance
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageFrench

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:57 AM

I've already read your first guide on Rpg maker Vx and it helped me a lot.
This guide is really nice too and I hope, you will be able to finish it.

Good luck.

ban.png

#6 yieldingmydestiny

yieldingmydestiny

n00b

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • LocationUncertainties
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageMelayu

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:06 AM

Thanks for this Kelsper!

#7 amerk

amerk

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter+
  • 1,172 posts
  • Primarily UsesN/A
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

Kelsper, you are a Tutorial God. I haven't gone through the whole guide yet, but if you are looking for ideas, since it's easier to creating interesting battle formulas, I suppose some examples for more complicated and strategical boss battles would be a nice idea. You can also do script calls of sorts in formulas, so maybe something to that effect.
  • mlogan likes this

#8 Omnimental

Omnimental

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

I've just gotta throw my two cents in. You've said that is v0.4, right? So you're going to be, what, doubling the content? Because what you have already is amazing, and probably one of the most concise and useful RM primers I've come across. If I'm this content using the beta guide, I can't wait to see what the final tutorial is going to look like. :)

The difference between JRPGs and WRPGs is the difference between a novel and a 'Choose Your Own Adventure' book.  The latter is about deciding whether the hero saves the princess.  The former is about discovering why the hero didn't.

#9 Arcador

Arcador

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBulgaria
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageBG

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:08 AM

I just scrapped some time and managed to finish the guide.

It's pretty cool actually. The approach of theory + examples makes things easier to remember.
The writing style is easy to read and the formatting is helpful.

One minor critic is the order of laying out the chapters. Perhaps it's the inter-connectivity of the editor but at the beginning we jump from one segment to another pretty quickly.

However it's very minor issue, if it is issue at all. At the end this is editor guide, not game design guide!

Keep the good work!
Project name: Band of Virtues: Unmasked
Progress: Characters Draft 100%, Scenario Draft 100% Script preparation: 100% Database preparation 20%
Rpg design blog: 90%

#10 Candacis

Candacis

Pixel Pusher

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationVienna
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageGerman

User's Awards

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:23 AM

This tutorial was amazing!
I didn't have a clue about any rpg maker. First I was really overwhelmed, when I saw the RPG Maker VX Ace. So many options! I read the tutorial, creating the sample game while reading and now I'm feeling much more confident with the program. Your tutorial is very well written and never left me with any questions. I like that you showed every step with pictures. Great Work.

Thank you!

banner_candacis_zps7f4188b7.png
I'm a mapper for hire! Check out my blog for more information and some screenshots: http://candacis.wordpress.com/
Project I'm working on right now: Gataela - a victorian steampunk rpg

#11 Eminence_Grise

Eminence_Grise

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageFrench

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

This is an excellent beginners' guide. I learned a few tricks. :)

Any plans on making an intermediate guide to RPG Maker VX Ace?

#12 AmnesiacJack

AmnesiacJack

Some Dude

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMisery, USA
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Great guide! Helped me get a grasp of all the basics that I was having trouble with. Can't wait to see what you add to it in the future.
Documenting my first game with VX Ace.
Spoiler

#13 wild_bill236

wild_bill236

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First Languageenglish

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

Is there any way you can upload this on mediafire or dropbox? i cant download it from multiuploads and i cant get the page to load on scribd

Edited by wild_bill236, 25 June 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#14 dbest10

dbest10

• Member+
  • 27 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

Awesome guide for a relative newbie.

I would prefer to have started learning by defining the characters first, but starting with mapping does provide a flow too. :)

#15 wild_bill236

wild_bill236

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First Languageenglish

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

so far i found 4 thing i'd like to see in it and i'll try to expain the best way i can:

1: end credits. a scrolling end credits not on the side but in the middle of the screen.

2: 2-handed sword equipped with a shield. in one of my game i'm gonna be working on in the future, i want one of my characters to be able to equip a 2-handed sword and a shield.

3: a shop with choices. a weapon shop that asks you if you wanna buy something, if you answer yes he ask if you want to buy weapon, armor, or accessory. the items he has for sell depends on your answer.

4:location on the map. i been trying to figure out how to make an item or skill where when i use it, it tells me my location on the map like in the original dragon warrior game.

if i think of any more i'll be sure to let you know.

Edited by wild_bill236, 26 June 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#16 Levi

Levi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

@Kelsper
Great Guide!!

@Wild_Bill236

1: end credits. a scrolling end credits not on the side but in the middle of the screen.

Event -> Display Movie
=======================================================
This isn't "beginner" and is definately not "general". This is a remarkably specific request.

2: 2-handed sword equipped with a shield. in one of my game i'm gonna be working on in the future, i want one of my characters to be able to equip a 2-handed sword and a shield.

3: a shop with choices. a weapon shop that asks you if you wanna buy something, if you answer yes he ask if you want to buy weapon, armor, or accessory. the items he has for sell depends on your answer.

Event -> Display Choices
Again, this isn't beginner or general...

4:location on the map. i been trying to figure out how to make an item or skill where when i use it, it tells me my location on the map like in the original dragon warrior game.

As best as I can tell you'd either require a script, or have to set "Get location" and have a variable to recieve it... then have a conditional branch based on the range of [x,y] from that variable... and set each branch to display a picture (mini-map) or a message.

Edited by Levi W, 26 June 2012 - 04:14 PM.

Wanderer's Studies - My Main Project
My Blog

My Art

If people weren't stupid, we'd be out of jobs.

#17 wild_bill236

wild_bill236

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First Languageenglish

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

I also have a suggestion. there's a part at the beginning of the game where the main character turns up to talk to another character, instead of doing that how about swapping the two characters so he wont have to turn up and he'll be already facing the one he's talking to. it's just a suggestion and it makes it look better from the players point of view, almost like the main character is waiting for the other one to come to the town.

another idea i thought about is when a character dies turn his sprite into the casket sprite.

also i'm trying to make it where when i walk over hills i move slower, but as i level up i wanna move faster until i move at a normal speed. might be done with a script but i dont know.

Edited by wild_bill236, 27 June 2012 - 07:59 PM.

#18 clydesdale

clydesdale

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

Your tutorial is proving to be an excellent resource for a floundering beginner like myself. Keep it up!

#19 Tarakis

Tarakis

• Member+
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

Thank You ever so much for this tutorial. It has and will contiue to be a great help for me.

#20 wild_bill236

wild_bill236

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First Languageenglish

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

i have another idea for the guide.how about a cut sceen around a outside fire pit in the woods with the actors sitting around it.

and i found some flaws in the guide that i tried in the game hope you don't mind but here they are;

Flaws: 1. autorun event in town keeps running every time i go back to the town or leave a building.
2. the boss event where you have "Play BGM", it should be "Change Battle BGM"

but other than that i cant wait for the next installment of the guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users