• 1,086 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:57 PM

bloodhsard.jpg

The Story

It is a dark time for Tiriya. The DeLancy family, the once prosperous rulers of the land, have fallen to the forces of Valburn, the powerful neighbouring kingdom to the north. Their Lawkeepers run amok, culling the strong allies of the DeLancy's, and establishing complete control over their lands. Religious zealots, sworn to the Vrahl, condemn non-believers and sinners to death. Valburn's word is law. Vrahl doppelgängers,  powerful Gods masquerading as monsters, roam the wilderness. In return for the faith of the populous, they provide their mystical powers and knowledge to further advance an industrial revolution across Tiriya. Times are changing. Valburn have control. 

A small resistance group led by the believed-dead prince of Rosedell, Drake DeLancy, begin preparations for a coup d'etat. Their aim is to hijack the flagship of Valburn - the Dreadnought, where the High Courts and their King reside, and place Lawrence DeLancy back upon the throne. Yet, as their plans come to a beginning, whispers of an ancient magical force - the Blood Shard - come into play. What follows are countless betrayals, faces from the past, and a dark, shadowy figure who appears to have knowledge of everything that has occurred, from the war to the upcoming coup d'etat. Is he working with Valburn? Is he working with the Vrahl? And more importantly, what does he want with the Blood Shard?

The Characters

Spoiler

Screenshots

Spoiler

Features

• An intriguing storyline with political and religious mystery.
  • Interesting, challenging battles. TP has been replaced with VP, a currency you can increase via your 'Vigor' command. Attacking uses all your VP, but the amount of VP you had is added as a bonus. Be wary though, enemies can do the same, and suffering from damage will cause your character to lose all of their VP.
  • Exploration. Random battles have been removed. All battles that aren't story-related will be completely optional. 
  • Puzzles. Each dungeon will have a puzzle of varying difficulty.
  • Interactive environments. Chop down thick brushes with your sword, swing across chasms with your rope.
  • An in-depth skill system, focusing on specific traits of each character. (still to be added, awaiting finished script.)
  • An almost full soundtrack. At least half of the demo songs are my own. You can check my resource thread to see which ones are mine. By the time this project's complete, I'm aiming for a fully custom soundtrack.
  • Custom character artwork, provided by the wonderful Emmych.

Download (123MB)

Remember to install all fonts found within the extracted folder. You'll get cut-off dialogue otherwise.

Download the demo here. You'll need the RTP to play it. I'm aiming to upload a version with the RTP soon, but the internet here is pretty brutal. It'll be done though!

Credits

Spoiler

Tips & Tricks

Spoiler

Notes

• Demo length is roughly forty minutes to one hour.
  • EXP and skill learning (bar two in Arcontana) have been removed for this release. I'm currently waiting on a script to be commissioned that will see me implementing these things. The demo's still totally doable without levels, as enemies have been scaled fairly to compensate.
  • Please remember to install the fonts! Your game will look all wonky without them.
  • There are no in-game tutorials, but the controls are almost identical to every RM game you've ever played, and most battle skills have handy tips letting you know what they do.

Edited by Archeia, 11 May 2013 - 11:17 PM.
Fixed your tags

• Chaos17, Kyriaki, Emzie and 7 others like this

psn: mckziggywigs

511028583_b34f93ea43_o.gif

Open for music commissions.

Soundcloud%20button%20bordered.png

#2 Animus

Animus

"My Shangri-La beneath the summer moon."

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageCreole

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

You have the atmosphere down really well with this game; I especially like the quote in the beginning, but I had to stop pretty early on, because just about every text box in the game (I was only a little bit past the intro) had cut-off words in each sentence.  I'd rather wait until I can read all of the text each character is saying before I really invest into the game and in turn the story.

I hope you can fix it, since I can already tell I'm going to like the game.

2zevx9e.png

Anima*

#3 Quigon

Quigon

!kcor s'teL

• Resource Staff
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

You have the atmosphere down really well with this game; I especially like the quote in the beginning, but I had to stop pretty early on, because just about every text box in the game (I was only a little bit past the intro) had cut-off words in each sentence.  I'd rather wait until I can read all of the text each character is saying before I really invest into the game and in turn the story.

I hope you can fix it, since I can already tell I'm going to like the game.

Whaaat? Did you install all the fonts? I never had that issue at all playing through it.

#4 Animus

Animus

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageCreole

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Yeah I did, but I decided to right click install instead of dragging them into my system's font folder like I normally do.  Proof my computer has rabies or something; now it works like a charm, sorry about that.

Now I get to play; thanks for the quick response!

2zevx9e.png

Anima*

#5 Quigon

Quigon

!kcor s'teL

• Resource Staff
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Yeah I did, but I decided to right click install instead of dragging them into my system's font folder like I normally do.  Proof my computer has rabies or something; now it works like a charm, sorry about that.

Now I get to play; thanks for the quick response!

Phew. Almost had an aneurysm there.

#6 Animus

Animus

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageCreole

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Was able to get to the first conversation between Drake and Saffron, but after they finish talking and he decides to roam around their hidehout the game just freezes, can't open the menu or anything.  It's at this map that it happens:

Spoiler

In any case I really like it so far, the dialogue sounds like it was gone over with a fine tooth comb, and the battles are balanced brilliantly, to the point you wonder if you'll live or die. I didn't use either tome on the characters hoping the items would cross over, but that's probably wishful thinking lol.

Also, but not like it needs saying, the maps are really well done and the spot with his mom's grave looks very natural, which is a plus on top of the already great visuals the game has.

2zevx9e.png

Anima*

#7 Quigon

Quigon

!kcor s'teL

• Resource Staff
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Was able to get to the first conversation between Drake and Saffron, but after they finish talking and he decides to roam around their hidehout the game just freezes, can't open the menu or anything.  It's at this map that it happens:

Spoiler

In any case I really like it so far, the dialogue sounds like it was gone over with a fine tooth comb, and the battles are balanced brilliantly, to the point you wonder if you'll live or die. I didn't use either tome on the characters hoping the items would cross over, but that's probably wishful thinking lol.

Also, but not like it needs saying, the maps are really well done and the spot with his mom's grave looks very natural, which is a plus on top of the already great visuals the game has.

Damn, I know why that is. I'll upload a fixed version right now. Will be done in an hour or so, give or take!

I'm glad you found the battles well balanced, that was a major gripe with the initial incarnation of this game, so I'm glad they've improved.

Okay, demo will be offline for an hour or so until I patch up the problem.

• Animus likes this

#8 Aeirex

Aeirex

Deviant Designer

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • LocationUnited States of America
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

I tried it out for about five minutes. The major problem I see with the game is the dialogue being cut off and the first battle - barely knowing anything about the game and getting owned. It's good to have a challenging combat system, but if it is the first battle it needs to be somewhat easy.

Header2.png

#9 Quigon

Quigon

!kcor s'teL

• Resource Staff
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

I tried it out for about five minutes. The major problem I see with the game is the dialogue being cut off and the first battle - barely knowing anything about the game and getting owned. It's good to have a challenging combat system, but if it is the first battle it needs to be somewhat easy.

Did you install the fonts correctly? Animus had the same issue with the cut off dialogue, and then installed the fonts and the issue was resolved.

As for the battles, difficulty is kinda touchy. The previous reviewer said they were balanced perfectly - you said it was too hard. I'll make some changes if there are more complaints, but the initial battle is winnable if you use your Forte skills and items correctly. Remember most of the latter are always instant use, and you do get a surplus of healing supplies if you explore a little initially.

Edited by Gorlami, 06 May 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#10 Aeirex

Aeirex

Deviant Designer

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

Did you install the fonts correctly? Animus had the same issue with the cut off dialogue, and then installed the fonts and the issue was resolved.

No I didn't. I was completely disinterested after my first test of the game.

As for the battles, difficulty is kinda touchy. The previous reviewer said they were balanced perfectly - you said it was too hard. I'll make some changes if there are more complaints, but the initial battle is winnable if you use your Forte skills and items correctly. Remember most of the latter are always instant use, and you do get a surplus of healing supplies if you explore a little initially.

The game's difficulty may be fine, but as a first battle I still believe it should be a tutorial. Not everyone can just pick up what abilities to use correctly on the first attempt of the combat system.

Edited by Helladen, 06 May 2013 - 05:43 PM.

Header2.png

#11 Quigon

Quigon

!kcor s'teL

• Resource Staff
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

No I didn't. I was completely disinterested after that.

The game's difficulty may be fine, but as a first battle I still believe it should be a tutorial. Not everyone can just pick up what abilities to use correctly on the first attempt of the combat system.

Your loss, pal. It does say twice on this page to install them.

And I was considering a tutorial, but it's the default battle system so I assumed most would know how it works. The VP system is explained fully on this page. And all abilities are explained fully. I'll see about a tutorial if there are any more gripes with it. 

#12 Animus

Animus

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageCreole

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

My strategy was to use Cyril's Needle magic, then have him defend while Riffolk just did the rest of the damage, unless in the robot's case the cooldown would lift and I'd finish it with one more needle.  It made a couple of the normal battles pretty difficult in that a couple more blows someone would be dead, but it wasn't what I'd call too hard, actually it was perfect for me because it meant the battles posed real danger, something more games need IMO.

I do agree though that if there's a better way you should probably ask the player if they'd like to view a short tutorial to what each main command did, like I assume Vigor added TP, but if it did anything else I had no idea. Also you might want to make the message about the fonts a bit bigger so people downloading don't zone out and miss it or something.

Keep in mind I did know what Vigor did, but there's always a chance people might download the game without reading any of it; can't expect people to understand stuff unless it's from the game itself.  I was debating whether to make a PDF manual in my actual game file entitled "Instruction Manual" but people would probably miss it, including me if I wanted to jump right in.

Edited by Animus, 06 May 2013 - 05:49 PM.

• Quigon likes this

2zevx9e.png

Anima*

#13 Quigon

Quigon

!kcor s'teL

• Resource Staff
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

Yeah, I just enlarged the font message, haha.

I just don't think everything needs to be handed to everyone so easily. The battles are hard, but there is room for initial trial and error without being completely wiped out so you can get to grips with everything.

And FYI, Vigor ups your VP. That's all it does :)

[Edit: Demo's got another half hour to go. Also I'll probably add a manual at some point, it was my intention to do so. Just didn't have time before RSW (at least before it was extended again, haha)]

Edited by Gorlami, 06 May 2013 - 05:54 PM.

• Animus likes this

#14 Aeirex

Aeirex

Deviant Designer

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

Your loss, pal. It does say twice on this page to install them.

Loss is subjective in terms of the person. Just cause you think the game is good doesn't make it so.

Anyway, the big problem with installing fonts is that it is a nuisance to the player. I believe you should make it optional and use a font most computers have. This isn't a rant of your game. I'm offering feedback to help you draw in more people.

Edited by Helladen, 06 May 2013 - 05:55 PM.

Header2.png

#15 Quigon

Quigon

!kcor s'teL

• Resource Staff
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

I apologize, I wasn't meaning to come across as snarky.

I guess it's a nuisance, but that's also subjective in terms of the person. I for one don't mind taking a minute to install a font or two prior to playing. I'll look into making it optional though, but that'll have to come in a later release. Otherwise I'd have to resize and test every message window again to make sure either font worked fine. Thank you for your feedback though. I hope you pick it up again at some point.

• Aeirex likes this

#16 Aeirex

Aeirex

Deviant Designer

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

I hope you pick it up again at some point.

I'll try it again sometime. I'm lazy when it comes to learning how battle systems work. I like to gradually learn the system. :P

Edited by Helladen, 06 May 2013 - 06:00 PM.

Header2.png

#17 Animus

Animus

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageCreole

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

Actually Gorlami, my own game uses a different font, but instead of having the player install it I added a Font folder and dumped the font in there, then tested the game on my laptop (which didn't have the font) and it worked like a charm. Just need to add the default font in MAIN using Font.default_name = ["Your font here"].

So it's definitely possible to use any font you want and have other players receive it without explicitly downloading it.

Oh, the font folder would be called "Fonts" and would just go in the main game folder.

Edited by Animus, 06 May 2013 - 06:02 PM.

• Quigon likes this

2zevx9e.png

Anima*

#18 Quigon

Quigon

!kcor s'teL

• Resource Staff
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

Oh really? I'll have to remember that for the next release, thank you.

Annnd the new demo is uploaded. Download link is updated. 

If you have a save with the previous version, then move it over to the new one. It'll work fine.

Edited by Gorlami, 06 May 2013 - 07:16 PM.

• Animus likes this

#19 Animus

Animus

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageCreole

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

Okay so I was able to finish the demo, which mainly consisted of puzzles I'm surprised I figured out as fast as I did.  The final battle had me using up several turns before I decided to try and use the enemy's own medicine against it; lucked out in the end there haha.

I think it's great the way it is, but maybe give a little more hint towards how to beat the final enemy in your demo. Also, since you are healed after every battle, I think it'd be a good idea to heal the player before battle too, for the time when you equip something that raises HP, you'd still be going into battle with only the amount you had before.

As for bugs, there was only one that crashed the game; I'm going to assume it's rogue code you forgot to take out or something. It's from talking to the pointy eared bunny outside of Drake's base; it crashes the game interpreter.

All in all though I can't wait to see what happens next; I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the game's progress from now on.

2zevx9e.png

Anima*

#20 Quigon

Quigon

!kcor s'teL

• Resource Staff
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationOklahoma
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Okay so I was able to finish the demo, which mainly consisted of puzzles I'm surprised I figured out as fast as I did.  The final battle had me using up several turns before I decided to try and use the enemy's own medicine against it; lucked out in the end there haha.

I think it's great the way it is, but maybe give a little more hint towards how to beat the final enemy in your demo. Also, since you are healed after every battle, I think it'd be a good idea to heal the player before battle too, for the time when you equip something that raises HP, you'd still be going into battle with only the amount you had before.

As for bugs, there was only one that crashed the game; I'm going to assume it's rogue code you forgot to take out or something. It's from talking to the pointy eared bunny outside of Drake's base; it crashes the game interpreter.

All in all though I can't wait to see what happens next; I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the game's progress from now on.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! And you're right, I must've forgotten to take the code out of the event, my bad. Don't talk to the bunnies, guys!

The puzzles were something I wanted to be a little more elaborate - I didn't have time to fix them up as much, but that's definitely something that'll change in future releases.

All in all I'm happy you liked it. I'll take all the points into consideration!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RPG MAKER VXACE, DEMO 1, BLOOD SHARD, RPG, PUZZLES

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users