Photo

Capture and battle "Pokemon like" style game?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 West_Winds

West_Winds

Fun guy

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:42 AM

So the pictures of the Gameboy retro style resources have made me think that such a pack would lend itself well to a monster raising game in a simular style to pokemon and other games in the creature collecting genre. I am wondering if a capture system could be made with just clever use of events rather than using a script? Though I am also wondering if, with a script, it would be possible to create import and export functions for a game so that individual monsters could be saved a a file apart from the game save file so that players could trade them through email attatcments or simular methods. If I could get together the funds I might be interested in commisioning a script like this for use in a comercial project. Once I'm more capable with Ace of course.

#2 Celianna

Celianna

VX/Ace tileset artist

• Global Moderators
  • 6,889 posts

User's Awards

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

Many have tried, but never succeeded - and I'm talking about a script here.

It's a lot of work that no one ever seems to have any time for, hence why there is no completed script out there, let alone an evented system.

Yes, it's possible, but requires a ton of work and bug testing to make it work.

new_logo_small_zpsae8f2402.png

~ * ~ Christmas sale ~ * ~

#3 West_Winds

West_Winds

Fun guy

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:07 AM

Well that is slightly dissapointing but not unexpected. XD

I have an abundance of freetime, but I lack the scripting know how. I guess maybe I could learn. I only have a limited experience with BASIC. But I imagine that there is little to no simularity to Ruby.

#4 Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy's Avatar

• Member+
  • 7,547 posts

User's Awards

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:21 AM

I think Dekita has resources for this...

#5 amicable

amicable

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:57 AM

i imagine a summons script might be usable for this, with some sort of battle menu option that has a % chance to add a new summon of the monster's type depending on whatever factors you'd like (it's hp, etc), but yeah, that would involve eventing and editing and fiddling on your part

e4le.png

#6 Chaos Avian

Chaos Avian

Abyssal Wing

• Members
  • 1,175 posts

User's Awards

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

I think the closest thing to what you would want is the Devil Summoner style. You could mix Tsukihime's Monster Talk script with Yami's Guardian Series.

Basically you negotiate with monsters and convince them to join your team, give you items or money. It would require a great deal of eventing but perfectly doable. If you want a Pokemon approach rather than fighting by your side, Yami also has an option where you can have one monster at a time.

But as mentioned before I think Dekita is working on a Pokemon like system.

Banners and stuff~

Spoiler

#7 AlexNovember

AlexNovember

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

Couldn't you just implement battle events that give you a percent chance of obtaining the monster you fight, and use "Add to party"? You'd have to make monster actors, but I imagine it wouldn't be difficult.. Then again, I just started using RMVX three days ago, and don't know much, just the simple logic of the program..

#8 Dark Paladin

Dark Paladin

Novice Designer

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

There is a pokemon ace script already in development and is probably the most advance one available. Its called "Crystal Engine"

LINK

Allows commercial use if you get the authors permission.

Check out my blog to keep up to date with what I'm working on!                                                              My Pastebin!

Dark Paladin Productions                                                                                                                          DPastebin

Google is your friend!

My Scripts: 

#9 Tsukihime

Tsukihime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

Couldn't you just implement battle events that give you a percent chance of obtaining the monster you fight, and use "Add to party"? You'd have to make monster actors, but I imagine it wouldn't be difficult.. Then again, I just started using RMVX three days ago, and don't know much, just the simple logic of the program..

That is how I have seen it implemented in some RM games.
You aren't able to have multiple instances of the same actor, but the idea behind those games was that you were recruiting new party members and you could only get one anyways.

In order to handle multiple instances you'll have to dynamically create actors.
My Scripts. Go here for Bugs and Requests.
Want to write a tutorial? Submit a community tutorial!

himeworks011.png

Like on Facebook: HimeWorks
Follow me on Twitter for the latest updates! @HimeWorks

#10 AlexNovember

AlexNovember

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

That is how I have seen it implemented in some RM games.
You aren't able to have multiple instances of the same actor, but the idea behind those games was that you were recruiting new party members and you could only get one anyways.

In order to handle multiple instances you'll have to dynamically create actors.

What do you mean by multiple instances? 

#11 Tsukihime

Tsukihime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

For example if you want to have 3 slimes in your party. If you're going to use actors, you'll have to create 3 slime actors in your database.
My Scripts. Go here for Bugs and Requests.
Want to write a tutorial? Submit a community tutorial!

himeworks011.png

Like on Facebook: HimeWorks
Follow me on Twitter for the latest updates! @HimeWorks

#12 AlexNovember

AlexNovember

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

Oh. Well, in that case, it would just take some time. 

#13 light487

light487

Parrot Keeper

• Member+
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

Yeh.. I mean.. if you were just wanting a basic pet game with a small number of pets that you could obtain and train up, I don't see it being a problem just using what is already available. I have pets in my game and besides the random chance of failing the capture them, it's all pretty straightforward. It's when you start talking about 100+ possible pets and pokemon style battling and all that, is when you are going to start thinking about using scripts.

Just have the enemy for the battle, and an actor for the pet. RM allows you to remove and add party members by default, so you can store/retrieve pets no problem (though you'd probably want to have a script to handle to menu stuff for swapping the actors at the "pet storage facility".. just to make it look less clumsy.. but I think it would be possible without scripting.. just very clumsy).. and since it's an actor, the actor's database entry will keep track of all the levelling data even when they're not in your party etc. The capture mechanic will just be a skill that possibly calls a common event to check the HP of the defending enemy (in the battle frame) and based on that, the percentage chance to capture increases as the HP is lower etc..

So again, I believe a simple/basic version of a pokemon/pet game could be possibly with minimal scripting.

Edited by light487, 04 June 2013 - 07:38 PM.

My Current Project:

Tales of Medea (Prologue)

http://rpgmaker.net/games/5104/

8nRo1So.png

#14 West_Winds

West_Winds

Fun guy

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. :) I can't wait for the Gameboy Retro pack to be out.

#15 klfrr

klfrr

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:39 AM

Pokémon Reborn?

http://www.poke-place.com/game/

#16 HK00

HK00

!@#$%

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:25 AM

Pokémon Reborn?

http://www.poke-place.com/game/

That game uses scripts made for RPG Maker XP which are uncompatible with RPG Maker vx/vxace.

#17 jdjack

jdjack

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

My team have just made such a game, and we have made it multiplayer. It is currently in alpha testing, but will be released soon!

#18 Celianna

Celianna

VX/Ace tileset artist

• Global Moderators
  • 6,889 posts

User's Awards

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:32 AM

jdjack don't necro nor hijack someone else's thread.

I'm closing this.

new_logo_small_zpsae8f2402.png

~ * ~ Christmas sale ~ * ~