Photo

Slayers- First try at making a game!

RPG Maker VXAce RPG Dark Fantasy Post-apocolyptic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Demonbane775

Demonbane775

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:57 PM

Okay. So hello, all. This is my first project, a RPG game named Slayer (Suggestions for title improvement accepted. XD) I'm including a demo with this- consider this demo version 0.9. There are two dungeons, two party members, a shop, and I hid two of the more powerful magic items in the game in there- so feel free to try it out!
I didn't cap the levels, but you stop gaining new abilities at Level fifteen. When I finish the game, you'll be getting abilities all the way to level 99. You can access the world map (Follow the short path on the bottom-left of the Home Village map.)

I'm not giving you too much plot in this demo version. But you'll get an earfull (Or should I say a screen-full) with the finished game. 

Now! to the plot!

In the Year of the Flaming Mountains, something went very wrong. 

The barriers between this world and the Underworld broke down, and a yawning hole opened, releasing the Demonata hordes on the world. The heroes of Terra did their best to stop them, but they failed- and paid the ultimate price.

Now there is only one hero left. 

He himself is part Demonata- for the only thing that can slay a Demonata is another Demonata. He has found refuge on a small island, protected from the invasion by the brave efforts of the Water Nymphs, who have cast enchantments so no full-blooded Demonata can cross their water. 

But now, duty and conscience have caught him. 

And he must go forth to save the world.

Interested? Here's the demo-

DEMO UPDATES-

Thanks to echo for telling me there was an issue with the demo. I'm uploading a updated version with a new dungeon accessed off the World Map, up to level 25, a new class, a new party member, two ridiculously powerful magic swords, New Demonata artifacts, idly walking villagers, and a new boss fight. 

Have fun.

Milennin pointed out several more flaws, which I also fixed. I'd like to thank him for giving me a rundown of everything he spotted that was wrong, which allowed me to go back and fix all these flaws. 

There's also some things that are a little difficult to find, so if you're having trouble, here's some tips.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Attached Files

Edited by Demonbane775, 08 July 2013 - 11:02 AM.

#2 echo

echo

It's alright. I was drunk too.

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

The demo turned off at the start of the first battle, something to do with the song use I think.  Dunno if that's just my computer or what...  It seems kinda cool though, the dialogue's pretty funny.  One thing worth pointing out, the term 'Demonata'  is already used in quite a popular series of books...  Not necessarily a problem, but it does sort of make you immediately think of that.  Looks good so far though :)

You've got eels down your leg.

My baby project: http://forums.rpgmak.../14859-michael/

And a weird visual novel about arson: http://rpgmaker.net/games/5349/

#3 Demonbane775

Demonbane775

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

The demo turned off at the start of the first battle, something to do with the song use I think.  Dunno if that's just my computer or what...  It seems kinda cool though, the dialogue's pretty funny.  One thing worth pointing out, the term 'Demonata'  is already used in quite a popular series of books...  Not necessarily a problem, but it does sort of make you immediately think of that.  Looks good so far though :)

I'll upload an updated version of the demo now. 

In a reward for your patience, you get extra stuff. 

#4 Milennin

Milennin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

In a reward for your patience, you get extra stuff.

Don't do this. Stick to the original design if that worked before. Giving extra stuff only makes it easier and throws off the balance.
Anyway, I'll give it a try. Writing down notes as I play.

-No intro whatsoever?

-Music's cool but doesn't fit the map really?

-Why do I find a weapon better than my starter weapon right from the start? Why not have it pre-equipped it to my character on game start?

-Second chest with a Katana changes from a wooden chest to an ornate chest when opening it. Also, what use do I have for a 2nd Katana when I already have one, and the Longsword that was pre-equipped is better?

-Bunch of chests in the first building, giving me money. Why not put 1 chest that gives me all money combined?

-Cannot go downstairs.

-Slimes and bats don't even damage me, and get 1-shot every time?

-Found equipment that makes me even stronger... what do I need this for when nothing harms me and dies in 1 hit?

-Ah, the Succubus is a boss. She hit for about 90% of my HP in a single hit and kept spamming Sleep on me... I don't get this.

-I cast Paralyze, which is supposed to paralyze all foes, but it only targets one.

-Water dripping sound effect on every map after the Fighter's Guild training dungeon.

-Beat the Succubus with a 2nd party member, some items, and a lot of luck with her on a Guard streak.

-An invisible tile in the castle sent me back to outside the castle? But I cannot return outside where you'd expect the exit to be.

-Cannot go upstairs in the castle, and there's nothing to find, so I assume it's unfinished.

-Can't enter any other places on the overworld, so I guess I finished the demo.

As for a conclusion... to be honest I didn't see any story whatsoever. I don't know what this game is about without reading the text in your post. I don't know who the main character is, or what he is like. The girl from the Fighter's Guild seems to be obsessed with dungeons and... well, that's about it. None of the monsters, other than the Succubus, posed any threat to my character. I didn't need to use my skills at any point in the game, so I'm not sure why they're even there to begin with. As for the Succubus battle... uhm, it felt completely luck based, seeing how she was able to 80-90% of my character's HP with a single Life Drain, I just had to hope she wouldn't use it too much. After a few Life Drains, and using some Potions to recover, she went to using Guard only, which is when I auto-attack spammed her to dead. After beating her she didn't even disappear.
I did like the music, it sounded cool, but didn't really fit the map on which it played.

Edited by Milennin, 07 July 2013 - 06:07 PM.

Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb!!
2cr9jx1.png

#5 Demonbane775

Demonbane775

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

Don't do this. Stick to the original design if that worked before. Giving extra stuff only makes it easier and throws off the balance.
Anyway, I'll give it a try. Writing down notes as I play.

-No intro whatsoever?

-Music's cool but doesn't fit the map really?

-Why do I find a weapon better than my starter weapon right from the start? Why not have it pre-equipped it to my character on game start?

-Second chest with a Katana changes from a wooden chest to an ornate chest when opening it. Also, what use do I have for a 2nd Katana when I already have one, and the Longsword that was pre-equipped is better?

-Bunch of chests in the first building, giving me money. Why not put 1 chest that gives me all money combined?

-Cannot go downstairs.

-Slimes and bats don't even damage me, and get 1-shot every time?

-Found equipment that makes me even stronger... what do I need this for when nothing harms me and dies in 1 hit?

-Ah, the Succubus is a boss. She hit for about 90% of my HP in a single hit and kept spamming Sleep on me... I don't get this.

-I cast Paralyze, which is supposed to paralyze all foes, but it only targets one.

-Water dripping sound effect on every map after the Fighter's Guild training dungeon.

-Beat the Succubus with a 2nd party member, some items, and a lot of luck with her on a Guard streak.

-An invisible tile in the castle sent me back to outside the castle? But I cannot return outside where you'd expect the exit to be.

-Cannot go upstairs in the castle, and there's nothing to find, so I assume it's unfinished.

-Can't enter any other places on the overworld, so I guess I finished the demo.

As for a conclusion... to be honest I didn't see any story whatsoever. I don't know what this game is about without reading the text in your post. I don't know who the main character is, or what he is like. The girl from the Fighter's Guild seems to be obsessed with dungeons and... well, that's about it. None of the monsters, other than the Succubus, posed any threat to my character. I didn't need to use my skills at any point in the game, so I'm not sure why they're even there to begin with. As for the Succubus battle... uhm, it felt completely luck based, seeing how she was able to 80-90% of my character's HP with a single Life Drain, I just had to hope she wouldn't use it too much. After a few Life Drains, and using some Potions to recover, she went to using Guard only, which is when I auto-attack spammed her to dead. After beating her she didn't even disappear.
I did like the music, it sounded cool, but didn't really fit the map on which it played.

There is a way to get upstairs in the castle, but you have to be clever. ;3 think teleporter pads.

As to the rest, your feedback is a big help. I'll make sure to get those things fixed. As to the lack of story, I haven't put that in the demo yet, as this is just the early prototype and I'm focusing on getting all the gameplay stuff down first. 

The Succubus was used from the default monsters list, so don't blame me for that. But I'll tell you this- I discovered that a great way to keep her down is using Garius's Infernal Roar, then using one of the other character's abilities to keep her paralyzed while you attack her. 

Garius is meant to be a powerhouse, But I suppose I could tone him down a little. 

The chests shall be fixed pronto. 

The Paralyze... I was having trouble with that too. I went back and swapped the settings to All three times, but it keeps going for just the one. 

Oh, and the Storage shed stairs are meant to be blocked. You go through the Fighters Guild Dungeon and come out in the storage shed. 

There is a third party member upstairs in the Fighters Guild. she's a huge help with fighting the succubus. She also has some significant story stuff going on in the interaction.

The water dripping... Huh. I could have sworn the castle had Storm. Go figure, I'll give it a look.

The castle has a few issues, yes, but it's mostly finished. There's more satisfying enemies in the upstairs portion of the castle. 

So, let me get what you're saying all in one place. 

Tone down the Succubus. (Who should become your fourth party member once you beat her if you're using the new version of the demo.) Tone down Garius. Make the Slimes and bats tougher, and the weapons less powerful. fix the treasure chests. Fix the transport system. 

Just out of curiosity, you DID get the new version of the demo, not the old one I had up before, right?

Edited by Demonbane775, 07 July 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#6 Milennin

Milennin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:27 AM

I'm glad you take up the criticism well. Yeah, I'm think I did play the new demo. I downloaded the link in your first post yesterday, that was after you had posted about putting a new version up.

But yeah, the Succubus was too powerful with that one move. I'd give her a weaker attack (it could still be strong), and let her use that more frequently instead. The bats and slimes should definitely be stronger since they did absolutely no damage to my characters. While Garius felt really overpowered against anything that wasn't Succubus, the Fighter's Guild girl actually did get hurt by some enemies, and didn't hit as insanely hard. It would be nice if enemies disappeared after defeating them - I believe VX Ace has a self switch feature that should make this pretty easy to do. Also, I was able to sneak around the 3 ghosts, and the Succubus, to access the treasure chests in the top corner. I don't know if that's intentionally?
There were a few treasure chests that changed graphics upon opening them, don't remember which ones exactly, but I'd just run a check through all of them to get them fixed. There was also 1 silver chest in the dungeon that I could walk over (think it was the one in the left bottom corner).
As for the castle, it would help to put hints in what to do. Since the 2 staircases that I tried did nothing, and walking around the castle didn't find anything of interest, I assumed it simply wasn't finished yet. Definitely put in some text or dialogue that hints at what I'm supposed to do.

I don't think I mentioned mapping quality at all in my post, so I can add that right here. I think the first map is quite alright, and so is the Fighter's Guild interior. The 2 dungeons, however, could use some work. The training dungeon suffers from an empty, boring lay-out, while the first real dungeon has some weird things going on. Like in the top right corner I was walking over tiles that looked like lava, and there was one chest that looked like it was up on a cliff, but I was still able to open it (intentionally?)

Edited by Milennin, 08 July 2013 - 02:27 AM.

2cr9jx1.png

#7 Milennin

Milennin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:29 AM

I'm glad you take up the criticism well. Yeah, I'm think I did play the new demo. I downloaded the link in your first post yesterday, that was after you had posted about putting a new version up.

But yeah, the Succubus was too powerful with that one move. I'd give her a weaker attack (it could still be strong), and let her use that more frequently instead. The bats and slimes should definitely be stronger since they did absolutely no damage to my characters. While Garius felt really overpowered against anything that wasn't Succubus, the Fighter's Guild girl actually did get hurt by some enemies, and didn't hit as insanely hard. It would be nice if enemies disappeared after defeating them - I believe VX Ace has a self switch feature that should make this pretty easy to do. Also, I was able to sneak around the 3 ghosts, and the Succubus, to access the treasure chests in the top corner. I don't know if that's intentionally?
There were a few treasure chests that changed graphics upon opening them, don't remember which ones exactly, but I'd just run a check through all of them to get them fixed. There was also 1 silver chest in the dungeon that I could walk over (think it was the one in the left bottom corner).
As for the castle, it would help to put hints in what to do. Since the 2 staircases that I tried did nothing, and walking around the castle didn't find anything of interest, I assumed it simply wasn't finished yet. Definitely put in some text or dialogue that hints at what I'm supposed to do.

I don't think I mentioned mapping quality at all in my post, so I can add that right here. I think the first map is quite alright, and so is the Fighter's Guild interior. The 2 dungeons, however, could use some work. The training dungeon suffers from an empty, boring lay-out, while the first real dungeon has some weird things going on. Like in the top right corner I was walking over tiles that looked like lava, and there was one chest that looked like it was up on a cliff, but I was still able to open it (intentionally?)

There is a third party member upstairs in the Fighters Guild. she's a huge help with fighting the succubus. She also has some significant story stuff going on in the interaction.

Huh? I checked upstairs after I finished the training dungeon, and I didn't find any NPC there.

The water dripping... Huh. I could have sworn the castle had Storm. Go figure, I'll give it a look.

I think it happened after I finished the training dungeon, at least that's when I noticed the sound effect playing on the outdoors map, and in the Fighter's Guild interior as well.

2cr9jx1.png

#8 Demonbane775

Demonbane775

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

I actually just finished setting up all the monsters to disappear last night.

And if you can't find Kikashi, that's... Odd.

The first floor of the castle is a bit of a puzzle- but I suppose I could include some hints to hep the player out. The top floor of the castle is quite awesome, I'm rather proud of it. Rei the succubus could clue you in. 

There's an easy way to tell if you're playing the new version. After you beat the succubus, she should join your party. 

Thanks to your criticism, there is a third demo version in the works. You're right, not enough people know how to take criticism.... Maybe it's because I'm just a mellow guy in general. :3

Edited by Demonbane775, 08 July 2013 - 09:33 AM.

#9 Milennin

Milennin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

Oh, I see. She didn't join my party after beating her, so that means I was playing the old version.
I just checked the Fighter's Guild again on a New Game, and Kikashi isn't there.
I'll come back to play a new version of the game some time; good luck with your project.

2cr9jx1.png

#10 Demonbane775

Demonbane775

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

Thanks! 

A lot of those flaws were still in the second version, that's why it's also hard to tell. If her conversation graphic is a blonde girl, but you're still not getting her, that's not you playing the old version, that's a serious problem. And Kikashi was in the old version, so that's also a serious problem. 

I'll try downloading it and playing it myself, because there may be a flaw in the file.