Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CWells

What status effects do you think could use more effects?

50 posts in this topic

@Tai_MT: Well...your system sounds pretty customizable, and pretty cool...so, it's not really fair to compare to messing around with basic stuff, like what I was mainly talking about. Like, I'm just talking about simple editor stuff, little to no scripting. But it does sound like your system works for you, and that's cool.

For me, well, I notice things I don't like in games and try to make them work for me.

For example, many RPGs encourage you to save all your MP for the boss, because the enemies are so weak and you can just spam attack to beat them, only needing to heal every five battles or so. That's lame. Then you get to the boss, spam your strongest skills/spells, and it's over way too fast. Also lame. So what do I try to do? I try and make the enemies more challenging, and strategic. I try to make the bosses more of a threat. So you actually need to choose if you wanna save your MP for the boss or not. Even if you do, it's still gonna take a lot to bring it down. So, like, maybe half-poison seems lame, but maybe your physical attacks aren't that effective? Maybe half-poison isn't an alternative to using your basic attack each turn, but an alternative to using one of your weakest skills each turn? That's what I'm going for.

I haven't tested it yet, and I hear testing is one of the longest processes in RPG making. I have tested -10% Max HP poison (default in XP at least) against bosses, and it's really strong. It's like putting the boss on a 10 turn counter, and you don't even have to attack, you can sit back and guard and heal the whole time, or lay more status effects on it. It's very effective to take down bosses much too strong for your party on low levels with poison like this, but I don't want to make the bosses immune to poison. That's...part of testing.

Also, status effects in Pokémon are awesome. They work even during the "final battle"...and, they are very useful. It some ways, they are best used in situations like I've tested in XP, ways to take down enemies much stronger than you. One paralyze turn loss can change the entire course of the battle. Sleep sometimes last only 1 turn, but lasts even 5 sometimes. Don't forget that Pokémon has several status effects that aren't displayed by your Pokémon and can't be cured by items. Leech Seed, Stealth Rock, Fire Spin, etc. If you don't just trounce everyone in-game with your strongest Pokémon, utilizing status effects to even the odds can be extremely satisfying.

@Tai_MT: Well...your system sounds pretty customizable, and pretty cool...so, it's not really fair to compare to messing around with basic stuff, like what I was mainly talking about. Like, I'm just talking about simple editor stuff, little to no scripting. But it does sound like your system works for you, and that's cool.

For me, well, I notice things I don't like in games and try to make them work for me.

For example, many RPGs encourage you to save all your MP for the boss, because the enemies are so weak and you can just spam attack to beat them, only needing to heal every five battles or so. That's lame. Then you get to the boss, spam your strongest skills/spells, and it's over way too fast. Also lame. So what do I try to do? I try and make the enemies more challenging, and strategic. I try to make the bosses more of a threat. So you actually need to choose if you wanna save your MP for the boss or not. Even if you do, it's still gonna take a lot to bring it down. So, like, maybe half-poison seems lame, but maybe your physical attacks aren't that effective? Maybe half-poison isn't an alternative to using your basic attack each turn, but an alternative to using one of your weakest skills each turn? That's what I'm going for.

I haven't tested it yet, and I hear testing is one of the longest processes in RPG making. I have tested -10% Max HP poison (default in XP at least) against bosses, and it's really strong. It's like putting the boss on a 10 turn counter, and you don't even have to attack, you can sit back and guard and heal the whole time, or lay more status effects on it. It's very effective to take down bosses much too strong for your party on low levels with poison like this, but I don't want to make the bosses immune to poison. That's...part of testing.

Also, status effects in Pokémon are awesome. They work even during the "final battle"...and, they are very useful. It some ways, they are best used in situations like I've tested in XP, ways to take down enemies much stronger than you. One paralyze turn loss can change the entire course of the battle. Sleep sometimes last only 1 turn, but lasts even 5 sometimes. Don't forget that Pokémon has several status effects that aren't displayed by your Pokémon and can't be cured by items. Leech Seed, Stealth Rock, Fire Spin, etc. If you don't just trounce everyone in-game with your strongest Pokémon, utilizing status effects to even the odds can be extremely satisfying.

See, I've created enemies that can basically ignore your magic spells.  No, not just certain elements, but your spells entirely.  I have skills that inflict status ailments that aren't magical in nature as well.  I even have an enemy or two that can't be killed except with status effects.  To keep players from hoarding MP for a boss fight, you have to invent ways for them to use it, or want to use it constantly.  Making bosses strong against magic keeps players from spamming all their strongest spells on the boss, but for the same token, you don't want them to never be able to cast magic on a boss.  I've found that boss fights that are basically some sort of "puzzle" or "skilled challenge" instead of straight "whack until dead with strongest skills" tend to be more satisfying to players.

Also, if you include duration limits on your status effects, you don't have to worry about a party just standing around healing until the boss dies.  Equipping bosses and enemies with skills that cure these status ailments also helps.  Or, equipping these bosses/enemies with restorative abilities can help.  Perhaps Poison only works and works well if you manage to Silence the boss so it can't heal itself or get rid of the status effect?  Maybe Silence only lasts 3 turns?

I don't tend to use status effects in Pokémon.  I tend to use other things that change the flow of battle.  I am particular with Whirlwind (great for getting rid of enemy buffs or for making the enemy have to throw out something weaker in a fight first).  I tend to rely on moves with a form of gimmick, or upon moves that vary up my effectiveness in a fight.  I don't particularly enjoy having to rely on the RNG to see if the enemy doesn't take a turn during the round 'cause they were Paralyzed.  Though, I will very much enjoy getting the enemy to Flinch.  Though, I've never really had to "Brute Force" my way through the Elite four or any other battle in Pokémon.  Each game seems to be getting progressively easier to slaughter them, especially when you pick up the most versatile mons along the way.

I'm trying out making my Poison slip damage scale with the LCK stat. The idea is that it's damage is semi-consistent so that it's useful against normal battles and boss battles. I haven't tested it out much yet, though, so I don't know what side effects might arise from this change - only that it's now more beneficial to use with a character with higher LCK, which effectively limits which characters can use that status ailment efficiently.

I don't have the mentality of "why waste a turn inflicting Poison when I can just use my normal attack every turn for more damage?". The thing about Poison is that it does it's damage every turn until the status either naturally goes away or the enemy cures itself of the ailment. So you're not pressured to constantly attack to deal damage. You can set up bosses that are dangerous enough that you can't afford to attack it every turn because you need everyone setting up protective barriers against it's harmful attacks, curing from those harmful attacks, etc. So if you can inflict Poison on the boss, you have that consistent damage while you can then spend a turn where everyone is doing something protective for the party. Maybe the Warrior needs to spend a turn using a healing potion or something. There are bosses where physical damage dealers aren't very useful due to the boss's stats or their attack patterns (maybe he has a nasty counter-attack for every physical damage). So I enjoy inflicting states that deal slip damage. I especially enjoy stacking up as many as I can so that the boss gets "nuked" by taking slip damage from 3 different sources at the end of his turn.

HumanNinjaToo likes this

I really do like the way Etrian Odyssey handles statuses. Poison is like one of the single most devastating statuses in the game period, plus it scales with the enemy's/ character's level. Lv1 poison deals lets say 35-40 damage while at Lv10 it caps at 255 damage. As mentioned earlier sleep reduces defense to 0 and when you get hit, it HURTS (the regen while you sleep idea mentioned by Omen613 is done in SMT: Strange Journey).

I'm also surprised that no one has mentioned about statuses being used as a 'power up' for some characters. i.e, inflicting a state on the enemy allows for let's say a Thief to have double the output of power after affliction (Anyone who played Etrian Odyssey 4 and know of the NIghtseeker's Poison Throw + Shadowbite combo will realise importance of statuses).

I do feel that status effects are ignored or not given more thought and are mostly an annoyance to the player while next to useless for players or just gimmicky at best, but if more thought went into it, that thief you kept on neglecting may actually fill a great role for an RPG party :P

I did do something for my vampire characterr When he uses feed, his attack power increases if the bite is successful. So it adds a fuel state basically.

Just want to comment and say that this thread is awesome and gives really good ideas for new status effects or even current status effects and new twists on their effects on party members. Good post OP :)

maybe guard can be upgraded to have a counter chance...

and some guards that can cause different ailments upon hit (like the Renewal block, Blizzard guard etc abilities from KH: BBS)

I really think guard is a really underpowered status/command...

Edited by adiktuzmiko
CWells likes this

maybe guard can be upgraded to have a counter chance...

and some guards that can cause different ailments upon hit (like the Renewal block, Blizzard guard etc abilities from KH: BBS)

I really think guard is a really underpowered status/command...

I did that too lol. I added a 20% chance of counter on guard.

Can make status effects come in the form of combo skills. Ability 1 followed by ability 2 inflicts a status effect as a combo bonus. or a status buff even.

So I'm working with two ailments I've seen in other games before. But what I didn't realize is that Burn and Poison are essentially the same (HRG -X%) and Frozen and Paralysis are essentially the same (Cannot attack for x amount of turns). Anyone have a way of rectifying this?

EDIT: Run on sentences ftw!

Edited by WNxTyr4el

So I'm working with two ailments I've seen in other games before. But what I didn't realize is that Burn and Poison are essentially the same (HRG -X%) and Frozen and Paralysis are essentially the same (Cannot attack for x amount of turns). Anyone have a way of rectifying this?

EDIT: Run on sentences ftw!

Given the directness of burning something, just drain HP. You could focus on extra effects with poison. Maybe you can make it so that it adds confusion or slows down opponents. Or makes their physical attacks weaker since they would be too sick to fight at full force?

As far as paralysis and freezing goes, I like to add some small drainage to MP to my freeze states. or to TP. So enemies/characters are slowed to use their unique skills as they have to build the TP again.

What I've done for Freeze in the past is made you temporarily vulnerable by decreasing your DEF and MDF to 0, while also taking double damage from Fire Element. I take away the Damage Slip Factor when it comes to Burn, and instead make it so that you can't be healed, and your ATK is reduced to 0. It's kind of a cross between Pokemon's way of handling Burn (without the damage slip) plus Tales of Graces (can't be healed if you're Burned). Paralysis makes you more vulnerable to Water Element for the duration of the effect, because, you have high-voltage electricity running through your body; it's obviously a great idea to drench someone who's being electrocuted.

Simple things like that can up the user experience and make people think "hey, that's a really interesting way to handle Elements".

Well, I think I mentioned this earlier, but trying making Poison a little more intense. Real poison doesn't slowly whittle away your health, and isn't easy to ignore or cure. It...kills you pretty fast. RPGs are bizarre for making it such a basic and weak ailment. You can still make it slip damage / HRG - X% if you want, but try...something like, HRG -50%! You've got 1 or 2 turns to cure it, otherwise, tough!

Burn is often similar to Poison, but I've seen it lower defense. I don't suggest making Burn HRG -50% unless it's like, literally on fire. Burning as opposed to Burn(s).

Frozen in some games is like Sudden Death, meaning 1-hit kills on you, and you can't move! See Final Fantasy IX. Also, fire cures it! Thaw, you know? In Pokémon, Frozen feels like a weaker version of Sleep, it's rarer, and doesn't seem to last as long (poor Ice)...

I've seen Paralyze not wear off in some games, it's brutal. It's essentially the same as being KO'd, in that if your entire party is paralyzed, GAME OVER. (there are scripts for that if I recall correctly, might also be doable with events actually)

I'm pretty sure a good Petrify state that could cause 1-hit KOs on attack would be pretty nice, but that just seems like a lot of Common Evening and scripting that I don't have time for. So I try to make do with that I have as far as Database Terms, go, and I've pretty much forgotten what the regular standard entries for States were in VX Ace since I've changed them so much. I would agree that DoTs need more flexibility or more punch than just reducing HP over a certain time.

You could have pseudo-one-hit-kills with simple feature work.

PDR * 1000%

MDR * 1000%

There, now, you take 10x damage from physical or magical attacks! You can have multiple stacks of each on the same state I believe....

You can also make every elemental stronger?? Or, I think you can set it up so at least your normal attack one-hit kills when you hit a "Petrified" target. Like, using "if" type stuff in the damage formula. Fomar0153 posted some cool damage formula stuff: http://cobbtocs.co.uk/wp/?p=271

So, like, you can put it in the damage formula of attack. Check if "b" has "state 30 (petrify)", if true add "state 1 (death)" Or something like that?

And, I could have sworn I'd seen a script that would make that easy...

Well, I'd go with the damage rate spike myself.

though if you have lots of HP, 10x damage might not be enough to kill you... XD

What about Blind state including another stat to increase like MAT. Blind may cripple your physical attacker, but be wondrous for your magic blaster~

What about Blind state including another stat to increase like MAT. Blind may cripple your physical attacker, but be wondrous for your magic blaster~

That sounds more like a pure buff instead of a debuff. It wouldn't make sense unless a game specifically has magic users that use phys attacks as well. (Which is barely any games)  I think there are more better, logical ideas out there for blind extras.

Blind - Decrease Accuracy, Decrease Defense, Decrease Speed.  That's what I'd do with it, anyway.  Basically, everything that happens to someone who suddenly loses their sight.  Maybe even a chance at some "self inflicted damage" from falling down or bumping into walls and other such nonsense.

Deaf - Decrease magic attack power, decrease attack power of anything sound related, effectively silences a player (deaf people have a hard time talking because they can't hear themselves speaking to know what it sounds like).  You could also lower evasion rate while decreasing damage from magic attacks (depending on how your magic works, this may make sense.  As in, if you don't hear the spell, it can't affect you at all).

i make sure to lower evasio ad magic evasion for blind. slightly. cant dodge  what you cant see

I think freezing states could have an extra effect.

Once they're unfrozen they shouldnt be able to jump right back into battle, so I think there should be an after effect where they're in a 'shivering' state and it lowers evasion, accuracy, defense, and they may be immobile for that time too. It could probably become op if they're immobile in the shiver state too though...

Here's the types of Status changes I'm planning on using.  I've decided to replace the luck stat with a new stat called Agility.  It acts as the "Defensive" stat for Speed.
Strength -- Endurance.
Speed -- Agility.
Mind -- Willpower.

Poison. Lowers all physical stats. (Strength, Endurance, Speed, and Agility) And over a certain amount of time will damage the poisoned target.

Disease. Lowers all physical stats even more so than poison. Harder to cure Disease but rarer to find enemies that inflict it.

Blind. Decreases hit rate as well as Agility and Endurance. Due to being blind you can't defend yourself as easily. Does not affect creatures that don't use sight, such as plants. And for creatures that can rely on hearing or smell will have a lesser effect.

Berserker Rage. Causes target to wildly attack enemies. Gives a massive boost to Strength, Willpower, and Speed, but lowers Endurance Agility and Mind. Can also render the target immune to mind affecting ability such as confuse or entice.

Confuse. Causes the target to take a random action. Pretty much standard I think.

Entice. Causes the target to fight for the caster. Also standard I think. (Think Charm from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.)

Swift Foot. Raises Speed and Agility but lowers Defense.

Full Defense. Massively raises Defense and Willpower but lowers all other stats.

Deaf. Reduces Endurance and Agility. May also render target immune to certain spells that require a vocal delivery.

Silenced. Target cannot use vocal spells. Standard stuffs here.

Burned. Lowers Endurance and Strength.

Entangled. Massively lowers Agility and Speed.

Sleeping. Lowers all defensive stats and prevents actions.

Focus Fire. Increases Strength at the cost of Agility.

Cover. Takes damage for target. Standard me thinks.

Wounded prey. Lowers defensive stats but makes enemies more likely to target you.

Odor. Makes enemies less likely to attack you. Does not work on enemies with no sense of smell/taste. Such as plants.

Hmm....I think that's it.  Maybe I'll think of more later.
Chaos Avian likes this

Here's the types of Status changes I'm planning on using.  I've decided to replace the luck stat with a new stat called Agility.  It acts as the "Defensive" stat for Speed.
Strength -- Endurance.
Speed -- Agility.
Mind -- Willpower.

Poison. Lowers all physical stats. (Strength, Endurance, Speed, and Agility) And over a certain amount of time will damage the poisoned target.

Disease. Lowers all physical stats even more so than poison. Harder to cure Disease but rarer to find enemies that inflict it.

Blind. Decreases hit rate as well as Agility and Endurance. Due to being blind you can't defend yourself as easily. Does not affect creatures that don't use sight, such as plants. And for creatures that can rely on hearing or smell will have a lesser effect.

Berserker Rage. Causes target to wildly attack enemies. Gives a massive boost to Strength, Willpower, and Speed, but lowers Endurance Agility and Mind. Can also render the target immune to mind affecting ability such as confuse or entice.

Confuse. Causes the target to take a random action. Pretty much standard I think.

Entice. Causes the target to fight for the caster. Also standard I think. (Think Charm from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.)

Swift Foot. Raises Speed and Agility but lowers Defense.

Full Defense. Massively raises Defense and Willpower but lowers all other stats.

Deaf. Reduces Endurance and Agility. May also render target immune to certain spells that require a vocal delivery.

Silenced. Target cannot use vocal spells. Standard stuffs here.

Burned. Lowers Endurance and Strength.

Entangled. Massively lowers Agility and Speed.

Sleeping. Lowers all defensive stats and prevents actions.

Focus Fire. Increases Strength at the cost of Agility.

Cover. Takes damage for target. Standard me thinks.

Wounded prey. Lowers defensive stats but makes enemies more likely to target you.

Odor. Makes enemies less likely to attack you. Does not work on enemies with no sense of smell/taste. Such as plants.

Hmm....I think that's it.  Maybe I'll think of more later.
BCj likes this

I have a state progression line,where some enemies can inflict higher versions of standard states.

(Infection->Sick->Poison->Disease->Zombification)

• Infection-5% HP Lost turn round
  • Sick-5% HP Lost per turn/Slightly smaller hit rate/debuffed speed.
  • Poison-5% HP Lost per turn/Slightly smaller hit rate/debuffed speed/dubuffed attack (rare)
  • Disease-7% HP lost per turn/unable to battle
  • Zombification-8% HP Lost per turn/Attacks team mates/HP is halved.
Deep Thought likes this

There are two things I do with some altered states on my game. First, is base stat changes. Even if it is a debuff, some of them actually raise one or even two statistics (if you want to poison your character to raise his strength by a 10% while costing you 10%HP per turn, you're welcome to do so!). Of course, real buffing states cause major increases, but there is it, if you want to take the risk, since you can stack even three poisons and three ATK buffs, making your ATK stat raise to something close to 220% (well, those 20% from poison don't seem to pay off!). It also lowers defense a little.

The idea behind poison raising attack is because some poisons can affect the mind state. So, on this case, it causes a lesser berserkr state, in addition to the steady body degeneration.

The other thing I do with altered states, is element weaknesses. First I gave each element one state. Poison for example is the earth elemental state (some poisons are just certain kinds of earth). Burn is for fire (which causes smaller damage over time but heavily cripples defenses). And so on. So each of these states raise damage from that element.

I also made a heavy magic booster which lowers 5%HP per turn, but makes you weak to Light. I've listed it between the pregressive damage states because it will be used by monsters. In my game, if any battler has 0MP, they die (Dry status).

I also have a frozen status. It works pretty much like Stone from Final Fantasy, it's treated like death, without lowering your HP to zero, and raises your defenses to 200%, but your character can't act. Difference is that you can cure it by using fire attacks on your character (or if your opponent randomly chooses to do so, nice!).

My hypothesis behind all of this is that, there is no completely black or completely white status. Beneficial statuses can have a down side, and harmful states can have a "good part", even if small. Same goes for skills. Of course I have some "purely good" and "purely bad", like stat boosting/lowering states.

Anyway, I hope this contributes to the topic,

Orochii Zouveleki

PD.: BTW, I'm such a troll. My Silence status raises magic by a lot. Same goes for my physical disabling, which raises atk. x'D. Anyway, just for the lulz. And actually raising magic makes them more resistant to magic. The other one though, only helps if you have a countering skill... whose aren't affected by disabling statuses.

Edited by muramasa
Chaos Avian likes this