#1 Bird Eater

Bird Eater

Boredom is just another thing you want to avoid

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageDutch

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

Hey everyone, I'm planning on making a series of tutorials on how to make puzzles. It's pretty much the only thing I'm a little good at in RPG Maker, and I love to help people. So without further ado, here's the first tutorial!

Puzzles, puzzles, puzzles.

There are infinite possibilities. They are either annoying, a waste of time or 'good'.
You are the one who has the ability to create one such puzzle. And you'll want to make a good one, right?

With puzzle, I don't mean something like this:
"There is a red button in the middle of the room, and once you step on it, the door to the next room opens, no strings attached."
Sure, it's not that boring, and you ask of the player to do something specifically. But that's not something I call a puzzle. You're not letting the player really think.

This is, however, where we will start. Because making a simple button is cool and yields some cool eventing knowledge we're going to use later on.

Step 1: Create a room, you can always make it bigger if you want to. I like to start small. I recommend making the room fit in the editor without needing to scroll to view everything.
Posted Image

Step 2: Think! What do you want to create? And how are you going to do it? For button pressing, you could use the 'Action Button' trigger on the button event, making the player press c, enter or the spacebar for anything to happen. We're going to make it slightly complex for us, though, making the button be activated merely by stepping on it.

Step 3: Let's create it! This should be pretty simple, creating some variables and set them to the X and Y coordinates of both the player and the button, and checking if they match.
Posted Image

Step 4: TEST IT! Test every once in a while, this is a must. If there is something wrong, you can fix it right away. If you make lots of events and don't test until the end, you're gonna have some trouble finding exactly what's wrong (I can tell you, that's not cool).

Step 5: You're getting a message as you step on the button? Good. Now let's spice this up a little bit by adding a boulder to the map, which can be pushed on the button. To do this, we'll have to make a boulder, and edit the button to record the boulder's coordinates.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Step 6: Test to see if it works.

Step 7: So it actually did something different, huh? We can also create a door, which will open when something is on the button, whether it's the player or the boulder, but close again when nothing is on it. To do that, we'll have to add some event commands to the button and add a door. First create the door, which'll only go open when a certain switch is on. 'Left-click > New Quick Event > Door' is great to use as a base. Edit it like this (note that there's two pages):
Posted Image
Posted Image

Step 8: Edit the button. Pay close attention to the lines I've used in this event, and make sure to copy them in this order.
Posted Image

That's it. You've done it. You have created a 'Push the boulder on the button' system, and even made possible for the player to stand on the button, with another effect.

If there's something you did wrong, or if you simply want the project file, download it here: http://www.mediafire...k769gfrs8gi59c3
If there's anything you don't understand, you're free to ask any questions here!

The next tutorial will be about making your life (and this simple system) easier.
  • EvilEagles, Luchino, Titanhex and 1 other like this

#2 Luchino

Luchino

Mapping Queen

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • Primarily UsesN/A
  • First LanguageUK English

User's Awards

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

Ah, I've always wanted to do something like this. Thanks for that, Bird Eater. ^^ It also works for VX, right?

Parallax mapping is the biggest sin known to RMkind.

#3 Bird Eater

Bird Eater

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageDutch

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

Ah, I've always wanted to do something like this. Thanks for that, Bird Eater. ^^ It also works for VX, right?

Sure thing.
Yeah, it works with VX. The rest of the tutorials will probably be VX-compatible too.

#4 Luchino

Luchino

Mapping Queen

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • Primarily UsesN/A
  • First LanguageUK English

User's Awards

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:27 AM

I must say, I was surprised at the amount of eventing that goes into something as simple as this. 0_o I'd hate to see what the more advanced tutorials look like. lol
  • Bird Eater and lufan131 like this

Parallax mapping is the biggest sin known to RMkind.

#5 Kantenstain

Kantenstain

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageNorwegian

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Awesome tutorial! I must be stupid or something, but I can't find part 2?

#6 Bird Eater

Bird Eater

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageDutch

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

Uhm, yeah, sorry about that... I never actually made a part 2...

I believe Despain's made a tutorial on eventing that pretty much has everything and more I'd put into a part 2, I think it's also on finalbossblues.com

#7 Kantenstain

Kantenstain

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

Well, yeah, he got a pretty good explanation about how it should be and ways it have been done in other games, but no instruction for the RPG Maker VX Ace. I know this is a bit demanding, but could you please make a tutorial about pressing... 4 buttons in a sequence for opening a door? It had been really cool since your tutorial was INCREDIBLY AWESOME!
Anyway, Thanks!

Edited by Kantenstain, 30 January 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#8 Dagny

Dagny

• Banned
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationNYC, America
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageAmerican

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

Well, yeah, he got a pretty good explanation about how it should be and ways it have been done in other games, boot no instruction for the RPG Maker VX Ace.

huh? the tutorial was made for rmvxace (some images are down because of site redesign, but it goes through each step)

Edited by mumbo jumbo, 30 January 2013 - 05:26 AM.

finalbossblues.com podcasts, tutorials, articles

#9 Kantenstain

Kantenstain

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:50 AM

My bad! I searched for puzzle and didn't see that one! Thanks^^

(I couldn't see one picture XD All were gone or to small to see :/)

Edited by Kantenstain, 30 January 2013 - 05:59 AM.

#10 the Skye Mage

the Skye Mage

E=MC Squire

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Primarily UsesOther
  • First Languageenglish

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

o.o... maybe I'm retarded but it's not workin for me... I've crossreferenced EVERYTHING and it's just... not workin

Sorry... forgot to post back on here... figured it out. Just had to tinker a wee bit more. Now i have to figure out how to put ALL OF THAT into a practical use 

with my horrid lack of programming and eventing skills xD thanks though

it has been VERY informative

Edited by Skye Magus, 01 February 2013 - 06:04 AM.

Posted Image vs. Posted Image
Spoiler

#11 Bird Eater

Bird Eater

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageDutch

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

o.o... maybe I'm retarded but it's not workin for me... I've crossreferenced EVERYTHING and it's just... not workin

Well, that doesn't make it easy for me to help you...

Why not download the project file at the bottom of the tutorial? It might help you spot any errors you might've made.

#12 KillZone Games (Shawn)

KillZone Games (Shawn)

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

How can I adapt this to instead of a door opening, a couple odstacles blow up opening a path to an object?

#13 Dagny

Dagny

• Banned
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationNYC, America
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageAmerican

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

How can I adapt this to instead of a door opening, a couple odstacles blow up opening a path to an object?

just change the graphic of the door event, maybe throw in an explosion battle animation. the process is the same.

Edited by des, 07 March 2013 - 05:59 PM.

finalbossblues.com podcasts, tutorials, articles

#14 helix

helix

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First Languageenglish

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

im such a noob but how do you set variables to things??

#15 helix

helix

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First Languageenglish

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

I fixed the question i asked up there.

but when i make the boulder go on the switch the text keeps repeating and never ends

#16 undefind

undefind

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

Not trying to necro here, but I'm not understanding why it is necessary to check the boulder X, Y coordinates a second time.

Edit: OK, I think I get it. The game has to check to see if the player and the boulder are on the switch from the start, otherwise the door's self switch will automatically activate since there isn't anything keeping the door closed (this is the conditional branch on bottom). It then checks boulder again to open it (the branch in the middle).

Have I got it right?

Edited by undefind, 27 March 2014 - 10:54 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eventing, simple, puzzle

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users