Photo

Parallax Mapping/Picture Overlay Tint Issues

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 AmnesiacJack

AmnesiacJack

Some Dude

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:37 AM

So I went and decided to try my hand at parallax mapping (using overlays), ended up loving it. However I noticed that when using the overlays so that the player could walk behind walls etc that the added pictures were not affected by screen tint. I know that there is an option for tinting the pictures but that doesn't seem to work the same way that screen tint does as a gradual gradient shift. Is there anyway to force pictures to use the screen tint?

Here's an example of my problem: http://imgur.com/Vbapl

I made an exact copy of my "tint screen" event but used the "tint picture" event instead and the picture overlay still isn't being tinted at all. It flickers briefly but doesn't follow the same behavior as the screen event. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm using "Modern Algebra's Fix Picture to Map" in case that's a problem.
Documenting my first game with VX Ace.
Spoiler

#2 Celianna

Celianna

VX/Ace tileset artist

• Global Moderators
  • 6,846 posts

User's Awards

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:58 AM

The tint picture command is the same as tint screen, it can do it gradually (you have to input the amount of frames it takes at the bottom). Can I see a screenshot of the event in which you tint the picture?

new_logo_small_zpsae8f2402.png
A new dungeon-themed tileset in the works.

#3 AmnesiacJack

AmnesiacJack

Some Dude

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

http://imgur.com/6SU1E

That's my current event setup and I actually think it just fixed it. I had previously put the overlay on it's own event and the picture tint on a seperate event. Adding the looped tint below the picture on the same event fixed it though. Now I feel kind of foolish making a topic but jeez I had spent the last four hours trying to figure this out.
Documenting my first game with VX Ace.
Spoiler

#4 Celianna

Celianna

VX/Ace tileset artist

• Global Moderators
  • 6,846 posts

User's Awards

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:15 AM

There is no need for the loop (you already have a parallel process going on), though showing the picture needs to be done in a different event if you want the picture to continuously tint ... Why are you continuously tinting the picture, if I may ask?

When you add a tint picture command, you can tell it to 'wait' or untick it. Wait will mean it will wait until that command is finished - so if you have both the tint screen and tint picture set to 'wait', then neither will work at the same time. Only one of them can be set on 'wait', and then they would both gradually tint.

Anyways, I recommend looking up some beginner tutorials, familiarize yourself with parallel processes, autoruns, and other basic commands.

And, since you wanted this to be closed, I will.

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

new_logo_small_zpsae8f2402.png
A new dungeon-themed tileset in the works.