I know some people actually prefer reading and enjoying a good story over mashing some buttons....but how can I have my cake and eat it too? lol
My battle system I personally feel is balanced and enjoyable...where your not just mashing attack over and over....the problem is making the encounters appear often enough to make gameplay.
I'll analyze other games....
Final Fantasy Tacitcs
- Go to the pub and get a quest.
- Go to the quest location and do a 10min fight
- Fights are fun cause player can customize their group setup and do different tactics to win.
- High gameplay
- Minor Story
- Uses a Tactical Battle System
- Story is short and simple
- Get quest to go to dungeon full of traps and puzzles
- dungeon's reward items used to unlock the next dungeon
- One playable character focused game
- Heavy story
- maps are very simple...walk in straight line to next map
- little to no puzzles
- Battles are fought through random encounters while walking on the the straight line
- Battles are fought during story progression...bosses
- Have a group of playable characters
Guess I'm really asking is....How to add battles to the game without stomping your story?
If you have an awesome storyline...does it not matter if the gameplay is lacking?
Should Gameplay > Story generally?