Photo

Adding Tilesets

tilesets

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Morpheus

Morpheus

Graphic Designer

• Early Adopter
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

Hi there, this is my first time posting so please excuse my n00bishness here.
Im having problems adding a tileset. Ive imported several ones but they wont work.

Example: Import tileset called "TilesetC". But it wont appear. Only the 2 default maps are appearing.
How do I add more tilesets? Please and thank you!
"The hardest choice in life, is living with the one that was meant for you" - Lucas Kane

#2 AstoXx

AstoXx

Subconscious Punmaster

• Early Adopter
  • 314 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

Ah, Ace's tilesets function like XP's did. You have to configure them manually from the database...Here it is, step-by-step;

You'll need to use the "Tilesets" tab, then click on the "Change Maximum" button. Bump that sucker up by however many new tilesets you want. After that, click on your new, blank tileset (it'll be a blank space, seeing as it's unnamed right now) then click on the ellipsis by the various TileA, TIleB etc settings... that's only to pick what graphic you want each tile tab to be, mind you...

Next is configuring passability... make sure the very top left corner of Tile B is a star. This should NEVER be anything other than a star, otherwise havoc ensues. For now, stick to basic settings, X is unpassable, O is passable and a star is passable and above the character (I'm not really sure how to explain it, other than that...)

Those are the general basics, anyway. If you have anything else you're struggling with, just tell us and someone will be happy to help you. Happy RMing!

8WWTd.png

I don't have OCD, I have CDO. They're in alphabetical order, like they should be.

Hey, everyone! Let's all go crazy killing mushrooms! Check out the latest awesome chain game right here, yo!

#3 ロリ先輩

ロリ先輩

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

You add more tilesets from your database- Each tileset is an entry, just like an item or a weapon.

tenseilog.blog.fc2.com

写真部員だからといってもー

#4 Morpheus

Morpheus

Graphic Designer

• Early Adopter
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

Thank you so much! I got it working :D
"The hardest choice in life, is living with the one that was meant for you" - Lucas Kane

#5 ei8htbit

ei8htbit

Mega Member

• Early Adopter
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

Hey Aaron, adding tilesets is a little different in VX ace, it's more like building a map-specific pack of tilesets using the database.

Try these steps, hopefully this will help:
1) using the resource editor import your tileset file(s) to the tileset graphics folder
(remember you have more flexibility naming tileset files now - doesn't have to be "TileC" for example so the more specific you name it the easier it will be to organize when you build up your tilesets)
2) open the database editor and jump to the tilesets tab.
3) in the bottom-left click on the "change maximum" button and add another tileset group slot - name it whatever you want.
4) now you have a full set of tabs A through E to fill with your imported tilesets, just use the pull-down menus to select the imported tilesets for the appropriate tab. The preview window will show you the output immediately for each tab and you can customize passage settings etc. for each tile.
5) don't forget to click "apply" or "ok" when you're done.
6) remember you have to define your tileset pack individually for each map you create - just rightclick the map in the list while in the ediitor and select "properties" to edit this (otherwise it will just default to the first pack in the list)

You can use "unlimited tilesets" technically throughout your game, but each individual map is restricted to one pack of tiles A through E (which is plenty depending on how complex and diverse your map requirements are).

Hope that helps clear it up for you, The included HELP file will also give you more details if you need them (just hit F1 while using editor)
for those in [about, 2, rock]
print "I salute you!"
end

#6 Morpheus

Morpheus

Graphic Designer

• Early Adopter
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

One more quick question;

So I cant for example, have tilesets A-H on the same Tileset?

#7 AstoXx

AstoXx

Subconscious Punmaster

• Early Adopter
  • 314 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

Oh, ei8ht, you silly monkey, you.

Aaron, what is it that you mean by that? I'd help you out, but I'm not sure what the problem is here... a bit of clarification would be useful.

EDIT: Ugh.... man, all the posting while I'm replying. I've fallen into it like you did, ei8ht!

When you make a new map, the Map Settings will come up. This is where you configure all the details about that specific map, including what tileset it uses. You just select what tileset you want to use for that map by using the drop-down menu below "Display Name". After that, you can start mapping it out with your chosen tileset. If you want to change the tileset for an already existing map, just right-click the map name from the menu below the tile select and click on Map Settings. This will bring that window right back up again. Also, the TileA, TIleB and all that are all part of the same tileset, they're just different tabs. You'll see the letters for each one at the bottom of the tile selector to the side of the map. Just click on one of those and it will take you to the corresponding letter. So, if you click on the C tab, you can use whatever TileC you configured for that current tileset. This means you can mix and match with different parts to create one tileset. You've also got 5 different groups of tiles to work with in a single tileset, too!

8WWTd.png

I don't have OCD, I have CDO. They're in alphabetical order, like they should be.

Hey, everyone! Let's all go crazy killing mushrooms! Check out the latest awesome chain game right here, yo!

#8 Morpheus

Morpheus

Graphic Designer

• Early Adopter
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

Also, how do I selct which Tileset I want to use?

#9 ロリ先輩

ロリ先輩

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

Each time you create a new map, you can choose the tileset that you're using. In order to edit or make new tilesets, you access the game database- It's where you're going to make new items or player characters.

Tiles in the A-Es are not tilesets, rather tile components. You can have any combination of them on each tileset.

tenseilog.blog.fc2.com

写真部員だからといってもー

#10 Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy

Legal Eagle

• Lead Eagle
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

On an existing map you can also right click the map and click properties to change the tileset used on that map.

#11 danielrobertcampbell

danielrobertcampbell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

I'm having issues importing the Modern tile set. I know it's supposed to matter which set goes where, but some just look...off. Plus I can't find one labeled "A1" anywhere. Can anyone help a brutha out? Please?

Posted Image

#12 Celianna

Celianna

VX/Ace tileset artist

• Global Moderators
  • 6,701 posts

User's Awards

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:40 AM

Do not necropost a thread, nor hijack it. Please create your own thread for this.

Closed.

new_logo_small_zpsae8f2402.png
A new dungeon-themed tileset in the works.