Photo

Changing basic game mechanics for one event only

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Velorien

Velorien

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

Hi, everyone.

This is my first post on these forums, and pertains to a very basic scripting query.

Suppose I want to change a basic element of the game mechanics (say, whether "Attack" is listed as an option during battle). If I merely make the changes I want in the default script, they'll affect all battles everywhere. Where and how should I make them so that instead they only take effect for a single specific event?

Sorry if this question is too general. If so, please just provide a few examples of concrete applications and I'll figure out the common principles.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Andynator

Andynator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

Use an Event-Command, to remove Skill 1 from the Skill-Table.

I'm not shure, if "Attack" in the combat-Menu will disappear or only turns grey, but the character should not longer be able to use it.

Edited by Andynator, 18 June 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#3 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Tsundere

• Early Adopter
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

You can't actually remove the attack command from a character's moveset using events, but you can apply a state that disables the "Attack" skill and remove it afterwards.

#4 Velorien

Velorien

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

You can't actually remove the attack command from a character's moveset using events, but you can apply a state that disables the "Attack" skill and remove it afterwards.

So all you can do is make it grayed out?

#5 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Tsundere

• Early Adopter
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:10 PM

So all you can do is make it grayed out?

That's it. Not exactly sure why you'd want it any different.

#6 Velorien

Velorien

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

That's it. Not exactly sure why you'd want it any different.

In this instance, it's a subquest that involves catching a cat. It culminates in a battle against the cat as a boss. I've already got it so the actors' stats and stat names are different, and they have parody versions of their normal movelists and items. But "Attack" looks out of place as an option since I've already given them "grab"-themed skills for doing damage.

What would be ideal is to rename "Attack" to "Grab", but looking around the forums, its name is apparently hardcoded.

Anyway, thanks for your help.