Reynard Frost

RPG Maker VXACE Ruins of Rydos [Demo Available!]

75 posts in this topic

tumblr_mj0yls1Vh81rrdk6eo1_1280.png

A powerful earthquake within a range of mountains near the border of two nations has unearthed an ancient mystery. A tower emerges from the destruction, seemingly untouched as the earth around it crumbled. The Academy, a powerful organization of the Northlands, wishes to know its secrets. A team has been selected to investigate this tower and unlock the secrets that lie within.

• Two main characters to choose from! Either choose the spearman Gerald, or his sister Brenda, the paladin.
  • Explore the Ancient Tower's 30+ maze-like floors while fighting monsters and collecting treasure along the way.
  • Charge into battle or sneak past enemies that are visible on the map. Random enemies, not random encounters!
  • Engage in classic 2D turn based combat using powerful techniques and other abilities like alchemy.
  • Navigate past deadly traps such as ground spikes and falling floors.
  • Discover the secrets of the Tower with collectible items and secret areas to explore.
  • Help the expedition's camp flourish! Invest in modest shops so they grow from stalls, to tents to full buildings!

Playable Characters:

• Gerald
    • An agile warrior that uses the spear as a weapon. He is a recently graduated student of the Academy that got assigned to this mission due to his exceptional performance. He uses ice skills as well as shouts to improve ally stats.
  • Brenda
    • A sturdy swordswoman skilled with the sword and shield style of combat. She is a year older than her brother Gerald. During the year since her graduation she has gone on many missions and completed them beyond the Academy's expectations. She wields her faith as both a shield to heal and defend her allies as well as a weapon to smite evil. She uses water skills to heal enemies and strike her foes.
  • Nina
    • A blacksmith from the nation of Midland. She wields a warhammer and specializes in fire attacks and roars to lower enemy stats. She is a member of the Midland expedition and is assigned to help with the Northland expedition.
  • Reynard
    • A student of the Academy who specializes in History and Alchemy. He wields a whip as his weapon of choice while also using Alchemy to destroy his foes. He is assigned to this expedition due to his exceptional performance in exams and knowledge of history, both famous and obscure. He uses Alchemy to attack with a variety of elements.

Screenshots

Taking a tour of the camp. [Outdated]

BetaScreenshot2.2.png

Combat.

BetaScreenShot9.2.png

Exploring the first section of the Tower.

BetaScreenshot5.4.png

Main Menu.

BetaScreenshot6.7.png

Credits
Art/Design/Story: Reynard Frost
Music: Avgvst, Bart
Scripts: Yanfly, Jet, NeonBlack, Fomar, Nicke, Syvkal, IceDragon.

Special Thanks
Lowell - Attack Formula Help

Despain - Art Tutoring

Demo Available!
http://forums.rpgmak...-of-rydos-demo/
OR
http://www.indiedb.c...rydos/downloads

Review Available!
http://blog.rpgmaker...os-demo-review/

Edited by Reynard Frost
luzi, RyanA, SolarGale and 4 others like this

That does look 8-bit,

And that's a good thing dawg.

All we need now is the 8bit font AND WE'RE GOOD TO GO.

Reynard Frost likes this

I definitely want to use an 8-bit font, but I'm not sure how to slap one in there without requiring the player to install it before playing the game.

Make a folder called Fonts in the same place as Graphics/etc and plop it in there.

I slapped the font in the folder and referred to it via script. Not sure if that will require the player to install it manually or not, but I decided to go ahead and put it in the game anyway.

Edited by Reynard Frost

I love eight bit graphics! I'll play the demo once it's out. Are you sure about the font thing? This is from the help menu.

If there is a "Fonts" folder directly under the game folder, the font files in it can be used even if they are not installed on the system.
Reynard Frost likes this

Thanks! There won't will be a demo, as for NaGaDeMo I plan on having the game done before July 1st the end of the first week of August. However, I will update the game if there are glaring flaws when it is completed.

Edited by Reynard Frost

I like the graphics style, looks very crysp. Would've been perfect in rm2k3 as well.

Added a couple screenshots and updated the Credits.

Good to see effort put into an art style that's older than vxa. Looks well done, really appears as if from the 8bit age!

Reynard Frost likes this

I'm in love with the art style in this. I can't wait to see more!

Reynard Frost likes this

Aye. The 8-bit art style looks great. I look forward to seeing more!

Reynard Frost likes this

Reminds me of retro zelda...n_n congrats on giving us all who are in our mid 20's and up a sense of nostalgia.

Reynard Frost likes this

It looks almost like Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, its great! Look forward to seeing this when it's all finished!

Reynard Frost likes this

Thanks for the support folks! I'll have a demo ready sometime this week and plan on having the full game completed in August. Stay tuned!

I'm really digging the overall look of the game, especially the battle screen. Certainly looking forward to the demo.

Should have the demo ready by Sunday. Just finished a playtest with my friend playing. She said, "Nice. I'd keep playing if I didn't have work tomorrow." It may not cause sleep deprivation, but positive results so far.

I apologize for the double post, but bumping this to let everyone know the Demo is now available! Please share what you think!

It's really fun! But I found a problem.

post-328-0-57524700-1341734728_thumb.png

It's really fun! But I found a problem.

post-328-0-57524700-1341734728_thumb.png

Strange... I'll take a look and get that fixed right away. Any idea what part of the game you encountered that in?

Nevermind, found it. Forgot to rename the file properly. I'll have it fixed and updated within the next 20 minutes.

EDIT: Bug should be fixed and new version is available! Your save file should still be valid so feel free to copy it over.

Edited by Reynard Frost

finally.

I'm gonna play this tomorrow but there better not be any RTP sounds. I don't like RTP sounds ;_;

finally.

I'm gonna play this tomorrow but there better not be any RTP sounds. I don't like RTP sounds ;_;

The animations are untouched (including RTP sounds). But other sounds have been replaced. I'm saving updating the animations for the full game.

I gave it just over a half hour, I'll probably play it more when I have more time. So far I'm liking it. I like the retro graphics and the sounds/music are not annoying. The battle interface and graphics are nice. The balancing is decent. It seems a little simple right now but if you keep developing it it could be downright one of the best RM games I've played.

Here's a few things I think could use some attention.

-Have a possibility of encountering 1 or 3 enemies for battles and mix up the enemies a little bit. Fighting pairs of the same enemies over and over can get old.

-Have chests give you about 2 items and lower the amount of antidotes. I think I've opened 10-12 chests and 4 of them have been antidotes.

-Have the floors be a little more complex. They are simple and too easy to navigate. Maybe add some puzzles or make the floors about 20x20 bigger.

-More variety of enemies, I think I've only encountered 4 different ones.

-Level ups happen a little too frequent IMO.

I'm not exactly sure what a Nagademo is but if its supposed to be something short and simple you did very well. If you're trying to develop this into a more complex game I would address those points a bit. Overall nice work and I hope you do decide to make this a bigger and more complex game.

Reynard Frost likes this

I gave it just over a half hour, I'll probably play it more when I have more time. So far I'm liking it. I like the retro graphics and the sounds/music are not annoying. The battle interface and graphics are nice. The balancing is decent. It seems a little simple right now but if you keep developing it it could be downright one of the best RM games I've played.

Here's a few things I think could use some attention.

-Have a possibility of encountering 1 or 3 enemies for battles and mix up the enemies a little bit. Fighting pairs of the same enemies over and over can get old.

-Have chests give you about 2 items and lower the amount of antidotes. I think I've opened 10-12 chests and 4 of them have been antidotes.

-Have the floors be a little more complex. They are simple and too easy to navigate. Maybe add some puzzles or make the floors about 20x20 bigger.

-More variety of enemies, I think I've only encountered 4 different ones.

-Level ups happen a little too frequent IMO.

I'm not exactly sure what a Nagademo is but if its supposed to be something short and simple you did very well. If you're trying to develop this into a more complex game I would address those points a bit. Overall nice work and I hope you do decide to make this a bigger and more complex game.

Yeah, NaGaDeMo was a 30 day challenge to make a game. This demo was all I was able to do within that time, but I plan on fleshing it out to a full game. Your points are very valid and I appreciate the feedback! The enemies do get mixed up with more variety around the 4th or 3rd floor I believe, and new enemies are introduced after the 5th. I planned on having entirely new batches of enemies every 10 floors. (There's only 10 in the demo). By the time you get halfway through the first section the variety should be mixed up a bit more. I originally wanted to make the battles random upon touching an NPC, but the way Ace is setup it would require me to turn on random battles while walking, which is something I didn't want to include. So as it is, every enemy location has a fixed encounter and I had to manually mix up the enemy locations and formations.

Multiple items in a chest? Never considered it but could try to do it. The antidotes I included because during playtests people were getting poisoned a LOT and I had no skill to cure poison. I included the skill last minute at an earlier level instead of the later level and have yet to adjust the items, so I will definitely make antidotes less common for the full game.

If I have time for puzzles I may include some every few floors, making the floors bigger shouldn't be a problem. I was going for a Diablo / Persona 3 feel for the dungeon layouts (maze-like, but just require wandering around to complete).

Leveling up happens too frequently? Interesting. Would you suggest making it occur 1/2 as often? 1/4 as often? A little less? A little more? The leveling rate so far allows a player to progress naturally with a minimal amount of battles and to avoid grinding. The bosses are the big road blocks that guage your progress. Also, leveling tapers at a certain point and becomes more natural in the later half of the demo.

Edited by Reynard Frost