Photo

Character Generator Hair/Eye/Skin Colors

feature request

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bubblesnail

Bubblesnail

• Early Adopter
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

I was very enthusiastic to see the Character Generator... until I tried it out and discovered that the hair color, eye color, and skin color attributes are pre-set.

Am I missing some way to modify the extremely limited palette? Please, tell me I've missed something.

Skin color is limited to four shades of tan. Really? Where are my green and blue aliens? What about deathly-white or gray zombies? What about my giant pink bunny? (Or, you know, a convincingly dark skin tone instead of the mocha brown RGB(185, 122, 87) that's currently the darkest color on offer?)

I can live with only eight eye colors... but just eight frustratingly Earth-normal hair colors? (Sure, there's green and blue... but what about purple, pink, or even ORANGE? Where's the love for gingers?)

Decidedly less love than before,
Bubblesnail

#2 jjarrell

jjarrell

• Early Adopter
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

The graphics for the pieces are located in c:\program files\enterbrain\rpgvxace\generator\face. You can edit the colors there...but I don't think it will change the drop down pallet built into the editor.

#3 Bubblesnail

Bubblesnail

• Early Adopter
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

The graphics for the pieces are located in c:\program files\enterbrain\rpgvxace\generator\face.

Thank you. That helps.

It would have been nice if there was an import button for people to easily upload new styles or even a Windows Color Picker type of interface that could generate the necessary *.png

#4 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Tsundere

• Early Adopter
  • 259 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:45 PM

I just did a quick test, and it seems simply adding new files with the same pairing and naming scheme (i.e. adding "FrontHair17.png" and "FrontHair17s.png") is enough to get new resources recognized by the generator. You won't even need to restart Ace. You can create a page of color variants and add those to the folder as well. Like so:

Posted Image

The colors in the dop-down list are still hard-coded, but don't have any affect on the image itself.

#5 Klandaghi

Klandaghi

Resident Werecat

• Early Adopter
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

To expand, the color palettes shown are more an color coded order progression across the sprite part sheet. Each sheet is limited to that many different colors, any extras past that will not be selected.
so Hair and Eyes, have 8 colors to a sheet and Skin has 4.
I wouldn't drive myself crazy on skin color though, there is an order and priority that the pieces get put together. Since they use transparency in these special orders, 1 layer can be used to cover over another layer. You could technically use the beard/glasses layer to change skin or eye color on your character, you'd need to leave holes for the eyes if you wanted them to stay the same color, since the eyes are under both glasses and beard. I'm hoping to make a layer priority list in the near future for the Generator so we know what can be altered to go over what and add a higher level of flexibility.

A good post to reference would be this one: How to Add Files to Ace's Generator
 Insert signature here...
Wait no that's not right...

Spoiler