Photo

Scary Games AKA Horror

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 xShaddy

xShaddy

Iterior Crocodile Alligator

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

Well as title says, waht are your awsome scary games, for me they would be Amnesia(SEQUEL COMING SOON HOOZAH), Corpse Party, Silent Hill 1 for PSX, was great game, not so scary but setting is just awsome,, Ao Oni, wasnt so scary buthad alot of DAFUQ scenes and great jumpscares, pretty much scary game mixed with comedy for me at least... uhhh, Idk anything else currently, cant remember,.

Well feel free to post ur favourite games~

/Does anyone feel that horror genre of games is slowly fading if not faded already?
Look under ur bed.... You'll see me eating your cookies :3 Herro
Posted Image
Supporting~
Spoiler

#2 RyanA

RyanA

Happy Cat

• Member+
  • 1,251 posts

User's Awards

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

Noo, what happened to my fellow kitty kat 3:

I've found with most horror games now, with the exception of a few, it's not...real terror...but just 'OH SNAP SOMETHING JUST JUMPED OUT OF A VENT AT ME AND SCREAMED IN MY FACE!'
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Supports

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Kaiser

Kaiser

WHAMU

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

Dead Space: "creepy" atmosphere and random crap popping out of nowhere. That's not scary that's slightly annoying and only freaked me out. also gruesome deaths that go on forever...yeah I get it...I died...can we hurry this up now...I died...game!
Resident Evil: Run, Shoot, Puzzle, Plot lather rinse repeat... not scary.
Dead Rising: ...that's scary?

Amnesia: A game that is scary, and gives you feeling of helplessness...but that game's mods...are even worse in terms of horror and fear ;_;
House of the Dead: shooting axe throwing zombies that will be featured in wreck it ralph. Awesome!
Every Single EA Game: AHHHH!

*insert signature here*

#4 xShaddy

xShaddy

Iterior Crocodile Alligator

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

From ur list, I consider only Amnesia scary :3

Dead Space, was easy(until unkillable monsters whos name i forgot) and wasnt rlly scary, i mean generally games in wich u can shoot enemy arent rlly scary tbh, you know you can kill enemy nad thats all it matters, they rely on jumpscares and music while forgetting being helpless part~

Resident Evil, imo only RE1 was scary(and that was abit...) Its pure shooter no matter how u look at it, creepy scenes so what, HL2 was creepy and it isnt titled horror..

Dead Rising: thats pure game of killing, not of bein' scared but of how many enemies u can kill~

House of Dead: didnt play~
Every Single EA game: Not sure what you mean lulz
Look under ur bed.... You'll see me eating your cookies :3 Herro
Posted Image
Supporting~
Spoiler

#5 Lonely

Lonely

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:05 AM

Well, if you do not care much about graphics, I would recommend Lone Survivor. It's very psychological, like Amnesia, you don't know when you are safe/alone. :P

Edited by Lonely, 13 July 2012 - 06:10 AM.

#6 Kumori

Kumori

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

Has anyone played Slender? I watched footage of this guy playing it and it looked fun.

Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” 

so7ciw.png

#7 Kaiser

Kaiser

WHAMU

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

I HATE Slender! It scared the heck out of me! I watched Pewdiepie play it and my god he only made the experience worse! But since we are an RPG Maker Forum. I'm suprised no one mentioned the One Night Series. that's legit horror.

*insert signature here*

#8 Kumori

Kumori

Queen of Cats

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

I HATE Slender! It scared the heck out of me! I watched Pewdiepie play it and my god he only made the experience worse! But since we are an RPG Maker Forum. I'm suprised no one mentioned the One Night Series. that's legit horror.

Yeah, I was watching Pewdie play it and I refused to listen to it with headphones cause I was dying of fright without them xD I am such a freaking wimp.

Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” 

so7ciw.png

#9 RyanA

RyanA

Happy Cat

• Member+
  • 1,251 posts

User's Awards

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

BARRELS! Makes me jump more than the games themselves when he plays them...I don't really like watching other people play games though, I only watch sometimes so I can see where the scares are before I play them ;3
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Supports

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Confederacy

Confederacy

The Secret Ingredient in the New Shampoo

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

Every Single EA game: Not sure what you mean lulz

He's trying to be funny.

Most horror games don't scare me, however, Amnesia is the big exception. As much I enjoy the games core mechanics (and the game itself), the very minute I enter the Prison I exit the game and do not touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Oh oh oh, can I contribute to this conversation!?

I have an opinion about a game.

You're an idiot!

If you have experience with knives, you know that when you knife a person, the person would become really agitated.

#11 Kaiser

Kaiser

WHAMU

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

See Amnesia right now maybe the best horror game because it gives you the sense of helplessness, you can't do anything to the monsters. You have to trick them and hide...and..never...never..NEVER turn around!

*insert signature here*

#12 Ministry

Ministry

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

I've played a lot of games that make you jump, but then you remember that you have 4 different ways to effortlessly destroy whatever this thing is, and enough medical herbs to make snoop dog blush. Without vulnerability the most you will ever get is a jump. Amnesia is the only game that's really done that well for me.

Resident Evil 3 did it briefly. Being stalked by Nemesis while you only have a pistol is unsettling, but then the game makes it very easy to escape from him and thus the fear is short-lived.
Check out some of my 3D work: http://robturnerart.blogspot.com/

#13 Kaiser

Kaiser

WHAMU

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

Hmm Left 4 dead can be quite scary at points...but it's mainly panic induced fear.

*insert signature here*

#14 Samven

Samven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

Building on that, panic-related fear I find I get more than actual fear in games. A few memorable experiences for me are wandering around the world in Fallout 3 before being jumped by a giant, mutated insect that's hopelessly out of my level. That sort of adrenaline-rush panic fear is great. Dead Space and whatnot I find is more just generally creepy than "ARRGHHHRUNRUNRUNRUNRUN!" and whatnot.

Samven's Links of Awesam

Twitter: @Samven20 ~ My Site ~ My Game: Deceit x Justice (Demo now available!) ~ My YouTube Channel ~ My Voice Acting Portfolio

#15 RyanA

RyanA

Happy Cat

• Member+
  • 1,251 posts

User's Awards

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

I didn't find all the monsters jumping out in Dead Space scary, I didn't find the monsters scary, but for some reason, that space ship just made me terrified 3: I played the second one with no problem at all until...you know...round two 3:

Edited by RyanA, 18 July 2012 - 03:59 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Supports

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Kaiser

Kaiser

WHAMU

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

Dead Space is not scary. Just a crap ton of jumpscares and creepy looking monsters. Setting is good, monsters good...but if I can kill them, then it's not scary. And it takes to long to die. Yep monster got me...oh oh! He's slashing my body parts off...yep...slashing them off...yep...still slashing. That thing must enjoy it quite alot...yep...mmhmm...still slashing. Still slashing...I'm gonna make me a sandwich.

And by the time you come back he's still cutting you! Get with the point! Floors kill you, doors, kill you, random hentai tentacle monster bursts out of nowhere and kills you...a plant kills you. Yeah I kinda hate dead space if that is what horror is. And damn you music designer! Your ambiance tracks scare the crap out of me more than the game itself.

*insert signature here*

#17 KoriCongo

KoriCongo

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Dead Space. Its a perfect representation of modern horror and slasher films. Cheap and too many jump scares, overly-long deaths, and settings more scary then the actual monsters.

I figured out why Amnesia so scary. Since the main character has no way to protect himself, and he ends up a broken mess just by standing in darkness too long, you can't think you're controlling his every action, and more like you're in that situation. So, instead of the main character dieing, you fell like YOU the one gonna die. Of course that's not true, but by the time you started the game, its too late.

Strange, isn't it. I like to call it the main character defense.