NO!

Paddy's Sprites

22 posts in this topic

Well, I've finally taken the time to have a go at getting into spriting. :D I decided to start working on a Marvel Superheroes Pack. I find the characters quite simple in design, and therefore a good place for me to start off spriting. So anyway, I made these using a sprite template that was made by PinedaVX, so he deserves much of the credit for these, since there was no way I could have made them without that template.

Deadpool

So, for my first sprite, I give you The Crimson Comedian, The Regeneratin' Degenerate, The Merc With a Mouth... Deadpool!

deadpoolpineandpaddy.png

Reference Image

Captain America

captainamericaf.png

Reference Image

Skrull

skrull.png

Reference Image

Credit: I made these using Pineda's sprite template, so credit goes to him and myself. And, of course, Marvel Comics. :)

The Punisher

punisher2a.pngpunisherp.png

On the left is his classic appearance, and on the right is the more recent appearance commonly seen in the Punisher Max series written by Garth Ennis.

Credit: Myself, Marvel and Enterbrain, as this is a franken/edit/recolour.

Nicholas HC has more Marvel Resources. They're really cool, so you should check them out!

Eyeball [New!]

eyeballg.png

This sprite is 100% original. I was thinking of using it in my project as some sort of wall monster. I still may, but I'll put this up for grabs for non-commercial use. Just make sure you credit me. smile.png

All the above sprites can be used in non-commercial projects as long as credit is given.

Requests

Below are a couple of sprites I have made for others. If you wish to use any of these, please go and contact the people I made them for.

Diver Sprite [NEW!]
diver.png

I made this for Cal Avera at RPGMakerVXAce.net. Just some bloke in one of those old-fashioned diver's suits.

Credit: Pine, and myself!

Hovering Robot Orb Thing From Gundam [NEW!]

gundammascotthingy2.pnggundammascotthingy.png

The inside of the version that opens up is supposed to be some computer console thing. But, this is the first sprite I've ever made from scratch. It was quite simple, seeing as there wasn't that much detail required, mind. I made this for OmegaZero at RPGMakerVXAce.net!

Credit: Just me, and whoever came up with the original design for the character.

Some feedback would be very much appreciated! Note that I don't take on requests on a regular basis, as I'm still not too confident in my spriting skills yet. Those that I have done were requests put out to the forum in general and I felt like I could make them. I am open to suggestions, but bear in mind that you're more than likely just taking shots in the dark. :D

Edited by NO!
Nicholas HC and RainbowGrenade like this

I think it looks pretty neat.

(Though, to be honest, my first guess was someone really sunburnt.)

Haha, it kinda does look like someone who's got some really bad sunburn. xD

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/ca/Deadpool.png/178px-Deadpool.png

That's what Deadpool looks like, for those who haven't read the comics. Maybe you'd have a better idea what you think of the sprite if you have another image to compare it to.

Edited OP with two additional sprites. Captain America and a Skrull, and also reference images for each sprite. Again, feedback would be very much appreciated! I'm gonna start working on some more characters, maybe some boss-size sprites for Super Skrull, Hulk and Juggernaut... but that's a big maybe, but I'll definitely be updating this fairly regularly. Don't suppose a mod or admin could change the topic title to 'Paddy's Pack of Marvels' please? Can't seem to do that myself...

Edited OP with some more sprites. Two versions of The Punisher from Marvel Comics, a Diver character made as a request, and also some floating robot orb character which was also done as a request.

Some feedback would be great. :D

I think they all look good, just the shading could use a little work (I think Despain has a shading tutorial on his blog). But they're a hell of a lot better than what I could do.

Hm, I think I'll go read that tutorial. Despain's tutorials are quite inspiring. :D Cheers!

Des likes this

Your sprites look great. Keep practicing and your sprites will even better! Captain American looks very good an you did a great job with his shield on his back.

Cheers! I may make another version with him holding his shield, but I want to start leaning more towards making some original characters. I did think of maybe making a whole Marvels set, but ended up deciding it wouldn't leave me able to improve some, so I've just been treating all these so far as practice. :D

Well, I know you want to move away from the heroes, but I must give you major props for the ones you did already. I would personally love to see you do more as Marvel Heroes all tend to be pretty bad-ass. A boss sized Hulk and Super Skrull would probably make me geek out a bit, but not many have actually wanted to take either of those projects on yet (and maybe never will). However, I would love to see more originals from you. They certainly will help you grow in sprite art and will probably turn out just as wonderful as your super heroes.

Awesome job!

NO! likes this

Update! Updated O.P with an Eyeball sprite. :) It's a bit weird, mostly because of the shading I think. I may fix that at some point.

Edited by NO!

AWSOME!Dead pool is my all time favoric comic book um....Hero? ^_^

Cheers! :D

Haha, I think Deadpool would be best compared to a walking disaster. :D He's definitely my favourite comic book character, alongside Batman and the "Super bashing" team The Boys. :D If I'm gonna do any more comic characters, I think I will do The Boys actually. But yeah, expect some more original creations soon though!

EDIT: On that note, I would really like to see Garth Ennis write a run on Deadpool. That would be insane.

Edited by NO!

Looks cool

Some advice: You really shouldnt just recolor something when adding clothing on, like you did with the shading on alot of the heads (diver, and cap for example) its best to think about the material and shade it properly, the thing about a base is that its meant to be edited and covered up. Also in suggest finding one of the many RMVX pallets and using that when coloring your sprites. Your's are very... neon at the moment lol. Also you need to practice making round things more round (caps shield) id upload a small image to helpo you but im at school atm. Good luck :)

NO! likes this

Shiro: Yeah, I've actually been taking a lot of shortcuts with these. (Worst is probably the fact that I copied and flipped horizontally with a lot... >.> ) I have been taking a lot more time and care with some more recent stuff I've been working on exclusive to my project, but I still wouldn't say it's half as good as a lot of the stuff I've seen here. And it more or less has been made the same way as these, but with more work on the shading.

Having said that, I do need to work more on different textures for clothing and stuff rather than just recolouring. Just a matter of building the confidence to "break out of the box", as it where, I guess. :D

You can use this.

VyGcp.png

Alright, correct me if I'm wrong... I'm guessing that each colour here is made up of five shades? As stated earlier, I've been taking a lot of shortcuts with making sprites, so I don't quite understand the whole working from a palette. Are they set up through various colours that compliment each other, or a certain shading? I just need to make a bit more sense of this.

Cheers for the help, guys. It's much appreciated! :D

On another note: I've updated the O.P with a link for more Marvel resources provided by Nicholas HC. :)

Edited OP with some more sprites. Two versions of The Punisher from Marvel Comics, a Diver character made as a request, and also some floating robot orb character which was also done as a request.

Some feedback would be great. biggrin.png

hey dude where bouts in cardiff you from?

I don't plan on sharing that kind of information over an online message board. :unsure:

Ruby likes this

Awesome Sprites man!