Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

-Divinity Fatum-

RPG MAKER VXACE

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 GreyInvidia

GreyInvidia

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:36 AM

df_header.png

Genre

Adventure, Horror, Psychological

Demo Length

Around 2-4 hours (depending on how long player will wander)

Current Progress

Approximately 70%

LP Video

Author's Note

Long time ago, probably influenced by quite depressing weather, that lasted for few days I’ve decided to create a certain game in which I wanted to reflect my thoughts at that time. At first it wanted to just create an abandoned, seemingly endless city in which player would wander around. It was supposed to be just a pointless “game" at that time. When I seriously started working on it, I began to come up with some ideas for events. Later on, I menaged to make something, vaguelly resembling a plot. Work was going on well for a while. But at some point, I just somehow neglected whole game, and it was left unfinished.

Few years later, I felt like I should try finish making this game. I dig out some of my old notes holding vague informations about plot and tried to somehow improve it beforehand. But rather than improve current plot, I came up with story, explaining how main heroine ended up in place from Divinity Fatum. That’s how idea for the prequel game was born, and that’s how I started working on Divinity Fatum :Birth:.

In theory, :Birth: was supposed to be more linear and story-like, but I wasn’t really that concerned about that. I just wanted to tell a certain story. However, I couldn’t really use graphics from the first game, as first - they didn’t fit the atmosphere of the game, and second - I wasn’t finding them appealing anymore. Thus I’ve created most of the graphics from scratch once again, and slowly worked on the game. I was also polishing the story alone, and in the meantime I came up with something, that could be called a final part of the series. The idea of Divinity Fatum Trilogy was born that way. However, shortly after my joy of coming up with almost complete plot, I’ve meet with some technical problems so bothersome that they made me neglect :Birth: as well. Thus, second game was abandoned in it’s early stage, while the final one was never even created.

Few more years have passed and now here I am - once again returning to Divinity Fatum. This time I’ve decided to recreate first game and merge ideas from all three games into this one. First thing I did was switching from RPG Maker XP to RPG Maker VX Ace. Both have flaws, but Ace seems to let me avoid certain technical problems, that I had while making previous games. I changed story a bit to suit the current idea, and added some new things overall. Also, because my skills got better over all these years, and I’ve gained a lot of experience in the meantime, working on this game seems to go very fluid. I hope that this time I won’t fail.

Story

Protagonist of the story - whose name we're not granted to know - finds herself in desolate, endless city. Not remembering anything about herself, nor knowing how she ended in this place, her only choice is to wander around town in hope of finding a way to escape. On her journey she finds certain clues, slowly leading her to an answer of what this city is and most important - who, or rather what she really is.

As mentioned in summary above, this game’s story takes place in endless city, which player has to explore in order to find new clues. Concept of the game was somewhat based on “Yume Nikki”, when it comes to wandering and exploration part. However be aware that instead of having many small, yet diversed maps, you walk around big city in which it is almost sure that player will get lost. Because of that it is advised to play this game only if you consider yourself patient enough and able to immerse yourself with the story. 

For these who just want to go for the story, without experiencing feeling of being lost, and immersing themselves into atmosphere of the game, I wrote a pretty much spoiler-free walkthrough with few additional instructions. It pretty much only tells where events are located. Hope it’ll help:

http://pastebin.com/6s70ht0A

Characters

protagonist.png

In game we take control over nameless female protagonist. Story revolves around slowly figuring out who she is. Because of that, there is no further need to describe her.

Credits

Scripts:

Victor Sant

YesImAaron

Narwals

Melkino

Crazyninjaguy

Yanfly

Moghunter

Audio:

eghcvg

nubbinownz

DjRocALot

bob6294

shadow6nothing9

theeketel

SBB

Shmokko

SineRider

Trawl

YueYang

Psil0

PythonBlue

Matthias Verbinnen

Zip Zipper

Jace

Timbre

11linda

toiletrolltube

lgarrett

inferno

HardPCM

ljudman

themfish

Digital System

gregswinford

uair01

Corsica_S

rdneubauer

Nbs Dark

Qat

Skullsmasha

klankbeeld

adrozipp

GreyInvidia

Graphics:

GreyInvidia

Screenshots

df_new2.pngdf_new3.pngdf_new4.pngdf_new5.pngdf_new6.pngdf_new8.png

df_new10.png

df_new11.png

df_new14.png

df_new12.png

df_new9.png

Features

Completely custom graphics and art

Two levels of difficulty: easy - turning Intuition on, which tells player where next crucial event is, and normal - where player wanders completely blindly, without any hint of where next clue is

Multiple endings (yet to implement)

Download

http://www.mediafire...inity_Fatum.exe

Dev's Blog

http://divinityfatum.blogspot.com/

Known Issues

There are supposedly quite many typos in game

Edited by GreyInvidia, 26 September 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#2 Archeia

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend

• RPG Maker Web Staff
  • 5,231 posts

User's Awards

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

I will approve this but you have 48 hours to read the Tagging Guide and modify your topic. Please follow the keywords exactly, especially the first BOLDED part about the first tag as prefix. Thank you.

DV874XU.gifnN3FkP7.gifMrDVk.gifU3Ysr.gif9XdYe9l.gifdivisionheaven.jpg PDQGW.png
"We know you love making and playing games, so we put a game maker inside your game." - RPG Maker
Get some RPG Maker Tech Support over here!
Script Call Collection for any hidden RMVXAce Secrets!
Learn how RPG Maker VXAce calculates damage/recovery over here!
Got stuck in RMVXAce and can't find out why? Check out this thread first to see if there's a work around!

We can't just say 'no, this is wrong, I'm not touching it'. We don't have that luxury. We need to experience, experiment and talk about these themes in full, coming to understand them and learn how to use them. To do that we need to discuss them without being afraid of being labelled, or being judged. We need to break out of our regimented ideals of right and wrong to look at such things and learn how to use them ourselves and the only way to do that is to actually look at them, discuss them and pay heed to what others have to say or think about them.

#3 GreyInvidia

GreyInvidia

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

[mod]I will approve this but you have 48 hours to read the Tagging Guide and modify your topic. Please follow the keywords exactly, especially the first BOLDED part about the first tag as prefix. Thank you.[/mod]

Hm, Done. Is it good now? Pardon my newbiness.

#4 Kaiser

Kaiser

Raging Defeatist

• Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

This sounds like a very interesting game, and I love the design of the protagonist. I'm such a sucker for characters with white hair.

(editing. why does it take so long)

#5 GreyInvidia

GreyInvidia

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

This sounds like a very interesting game, and I love the design of the protagonist. I'm such a sucker for characters with white hair.

Same here (thats why her hair is white, duh). Just don't get discouraged and pissed off too easily, by this game.

Also, I'd like to announce, that for testing sake, I can give all kinds of clues, together with directions.

#6 Kaiser

Kaiser

Raging Defeatist

• Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

I won't get pissed or discouraged. I grind levels for a living, I traverse dungeons for a useless item for a side quest to get a peice of heart. I think this game should be fine...I hope you don't put cryptic stuff in it.

(editing. why does it take so long)

#7 Necromus

Necromus

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter+
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

7!

Damn, what a psychedelic trip, that gave me shivers, very well done.
The music is amazing, the atmosphere is just shocking.
The start is really weird and boring somewhat, since it may or may not take a really long time till something happens, but when something happens, it's amazing.
If that's what's going on in your mind on a rainy day, damn i don't want to know about you having a nightmare.
The main char's looks are a weird mix of hot and disturbing, i have no idea if you made that yourself or not, but all the visuals and drawings used are amazing, very high quality.
Really can't wait to see some more of that game.

#8 GreyInvidia

GreyInvidia

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

Yeah, graphics are completly done by myself (along with drawings). I came up with that character few years ago and was using her in my various works (usually art).

#9 Necromus

Necromus

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter+
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

Yeah, graphics are completly done by myself (along with drawings). I came up with that character few years ago and was using her in my various works (usually art).

Well that's really amazing then, can't wait to see more of your art.

#10 GreyInvidia

GreyInvidia

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

A small update, with few bugs repaired, and small glimpse of how I call it 'second chapter'.

Demo: http://www.mediafire...7m3d1cujxn31iu3

Spoiler

Anyway, it's small update, but still something proving that I keep on working on the game.

#11 GameBoyLovve

GameBoyLovve

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

Wow this game gave me the chills. I'm so easily scared about these types of games and yet thats all I seem to play xD. I love the atmosphere and the art. I can see you've gotten attention about it but I can't express how amazing it looks! And I am sort of used to this type of game style? It sorta reminds me of .flow or the other fan games of that series of games. And just my average gaming life being lost even with maps.

However it....is odd how the street numbers never seem to want to be my friend lol. I always felt like I'm getting close to the number I want and no I have to search through the alleys and whatnot. Though at least I knew where I had to go so I can't complain much if any, I grew to enjoy looking for the certain street I needed to find since I would know if I was at the right spot.

The one negative, if I can call it that is, my god I feel like I'm walking so slow in that game. Idk maybe thats where my patience should come in but I just wanted to press a running button or at least a power walk button, I felt like I was crawling from street to street but it could just be me. But other then that I love the art, I love the sounds (and hate them at the same time when they freak me out), I love the music and I just can't wait for more. I did have a problem though. When I reached the tower towards the end, at least I'm assuming its near the end, when I go to observe the throne the game ends and says a gameover file is missing? Do I have to redownload the again or was that the end of the demo?

#12 GreyInvidia

GreyInvidia

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

Starting from the end - interaction with throne for current moment ends the game. Normally there is going to be cutscene made later on, however for now I decided to just leave that like that. There is no GO graphic because I completly forgot to even do one in the first place, being totally honest XD.

Next, you can walk faster while holding shift. She walks remotely fast then. I believe I've even wrote about that within in-game instruction.

About figuring out how street numbers work here, it's kinda tricky, but solveable. However the easier way would be getting a map:
Spoiler

Also, I'm happy you've enjoyed this little experience. Your remark about it reminding you .flow is pretty right, as I came up with idea, from Yume Nikki fanbase.

#13 GameBoyLovve

GameBoyLovve

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

Wow I'm such an idiot xD first there was a map...and I could run *facepalm* I could've sworn I used the shift key since it just seems like instict to me that shift=run but it didn't work that time or maybe I didn't notice but yeah I turned it on again to see if I could run and what do you know I can sprint now. Oh well...at least I spent a lot more time in the game since I was being slow and lost xD But hey if I can play this game with no map and not running I bet anyone can. I can't say I regret being lost in it, honestly even when I was lost I enjoyed the game and the atmosphere.

#14 GreyInvidia

GreyInvidia

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

After long time, I'd like to announce small update:

http://www.mediafire...7m3d1cujxn31iu3

If I recall correctly, last demo that I've posted here ended after Cinderella Event. This one contains 4 more events. I've repaired some bugs, corrected many typos and changed Clues menu a bit. If anybody have old demo and save states, don't copy them into updated demo. Unfortunately some scripts require playing game from the beginning.

Also, I've added difficulty option. It basically turns on or off the Intuition feature (small bubble on the top left of the screen, showing where next crucial clue is located).

So, what should I say? Have fun playing slightly updated demo, I guess.

#15 GreyInvidia

GreyInvidia

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:00 AM

Taking into account that this game is considered a wander-fest, I wrote a small, spoiler-free walkthrough for these, who want to get everything as fast as possible, however without getting themselves really immersed into the game. So, here's the link:

http://pastebin.com/6s70ht0A

It is advised to get updated demo, as it covers all events from the walkthrough: http://www.mediafire...inity_Fatum.exe

Also, I probably should write a little bit about acts in this game, as they vary in the feeling and gameplay.

-Life- That’s the first act of the game. That’s basically the whole part where player wanders around the city, searching for some kind of escape.

-Birth- Second act of the game. After wandering around the city and finding various clues to what protagonist is, she starts to be concerned about how she became what she is. In this part she finds answer for that question, by learning about past of girl named Sophia.

-Death- Final act of the game. Here… I don’t want to spoil anything yet ;).

Lastly, some additional screenshots of the second act of the game:

df_new9.png

df_new10.png

df_new11.png

df_new12.png

df_new13.png

^ This one ain't in updated demo, however location is pretty much completed.

#16 thatbennyguy

thatbennyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:36 AM

Cool. I am about to play your game, and I might even post a video review about it.

O2AWPdV.png

#17 GreyInvidia

GreyInvidia

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

Cool. Just have in mind, that it is still demo version.

#18 GreyInvidia

GreyInvidia

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

Slight notice of game info update. I've also added first of LP's of the game, made by ManlyBadassHero.

#19 Milennin

Milennin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:46 AM

Looks cool... might give it a try, but not sure whether to go with the demo or wait for the finished game...

Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb!!
2cr9jx1.png

#20 GreyInvidia

GreyInvidia

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

Well, it's hard to tell when game will be completed. Theoretically there is not much left to do, but still it may take even about year, knowing myself.