Photo

Game.exe icon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#21 Pegasus

Pegasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

I just saw this on the main site FAQ:
Please note that any modification of the exe, dll, or other game files generated by RPG Maker or
IG Maker is forbidden.

So it seems changing the pic is definitely forbidden as it clearly states any modification made to the exe is forbidden! The game.exe is generated by Rpg Maker and thus, it falls in the category mentionned on the FAQ. We don't have to look further for an answer since it was long on the site itself.

People who are planning to sell their game should consider this important point. You'll be violating the terms if you change the game.exe icon.

Edited by Pegasus, 07 August 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#22 Levi

Levi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

@Pegasus
I'd still clarify with EB!. They don't say whether or not the icon itself can be modified. They refer to the actual executable, not necessarily the Object file.

http://msdn.microsof...ibrary/527z7zfs
http://msdn.microsof...y/7z0585h5.aspx

Executable: Adjective: (of a file or program) Able to be run by a computer. Noun:
An executable file or program.

Wanderer's Studies - My Main Project
My Blog

My Art

If people weren't stupid, we'd be out of jobs.

#23 Shaz

Shaz

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

Here is the official (translated) response from Enterbrain:

Enterbrain does not condone hacking Game.exe to change the Icon,
however they are aware that users are often doing it.

The best solution would be to work with a shortcut to the Game.exe
which name and icon you can set to whatever you like.

So ... if you want to be entirely legal, use their suggestion and create a shortcut with the icon you choose. If you really want to change the .exe's icon, at least you know that they don't like you doing it (and it is likely a breach of terms), but as they're aware people are doing it and they've not taken action about it, there probably won't be any repercussions.

#24 Pegasus

Pegasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

Yes certainly a statement from E! would appease the doubts. However the Faq does say that the exe which is generated by Rpgmaker which probably means the game.exe. There are no other executable beside game.exe that the software generates, am i correct?

#25 Levi

Levi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

Yes certainly a statement from E! would appease the doubts. However the Faq does say that the exe which is generated by Rpgmaker which probably means the game.exe. There are no other executable beside game.exe that the software generates, am i correct?

That's not what I was saying.

What I was saying, is that EB! [in the FAQ] doesn't differentiate between the actual executable [program] itself, and the graphical representation that resides upon your desktop. Regardless, we've gotten their word on the matter.

My Blog

My Art

#26 Pegasus

Pegasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Thanks Shaz for the infos. Small startup companies won't probably be bothered by E! for this matter. I believe repercussion if ever there will be one some day, will concern the more successful companies that have been selling games for some years since they would probably be a more suitable candidate for a lawsuit. But still, this is too far thinking......but as we say, nothing is certain...

So now that we know where we stand, new developpers use your common sense if you want to stay clean and make money using the software. E! can let that pass but since it is written in the Faq and confirm by E! that they are against it, better stay on the safe side of the road to avoid problems in the futur.

Edited by Pegasus, 07 August 2012 - 04:46 PM.

#27 Breaking Owl

Breaking Owl

We are the cooks.

• Early Adopter
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

The official response from Enterbrain! makes me wonder if it would be possible to send them a petition to include an option to change the Game.exe in their next release (if any) or to modify the EULA to allow Icon modification for the Game.exe. Since using a custom icon it's a very popular wish among RPG Maker users..

FR2_zpse30d9ab6.png

#28 BigEd781

BigEd781

undefined method 'stupid_title' found for nil:NilClass

• Admin
  • 925 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

Here is the official (translated) response from Enterbrain:

So ... if you want to be entirely legal, use their suggestion and create a shortcut with the icon you choose. If you really want to change the .exe's icon, at least you know that they don't like you doing it (and it is likely a breach of terms), but as they're aware people are doing it and they've not taken action about it, there probably won't be any repercussions.

"Legal" is the wrong word. Don't confuse legality with abiding by a EULA. A company can put whatever they want into a EULA, that doesn't mean it will hold up when/if challenged in court. A EULA does not constitute legislation.

Thanks Shaz for the infos. Small startup companies won't probably be bothered by E! for this matter. I believe repercussion if ever there will be one some day, will concern the more successful companies that have been selling games for some years since they would probably be a more suitable candidate for a lawsuit. But still, this is too far thinking......but as we say, nothing is certain...

There would never be any repercussion. It's just not worth it from a monetary or PR perspective.
- Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb.

While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to.

profile for Ed S. on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

#29 Shaz

Shaz

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

"Legal" is the wrong word. Don't confuse legality with abiding by a EULA

You're right. I was referring to the EULA.

I have little knowledge of legal matters, so I usually prefer to err on the safe side if in doubt. However, knowing EB is aware that people are changing the icon and are not doing anything to stop them, I'd probably feel safe to go ahead and do it, myself.

#30 Levi

Levi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

Also [unless the translation is off] their use of the word "condone" confuses me. "Condone" is a very gentle word. Some people don't condone violence. Yet violence, in many forms, is legal.

So, with them not having clearly stated that modifying the game.exe icon is explicitly against the agreement, I think you are safe to do it if you wish.

Edited by Levi, 07 August 2012 - 09:33 PM.

My Blog

My Art

#31 BigEd781

BigEd781

undefined method 'stupid_title' found for nil:NilClass

• Admin
  • 925 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

Right. They're never going to blatantly tell someone to go ahead and violate their terms. Their use of the word "condone" is them telling us they don't really care.
- Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb.

While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to.

profile for Ed S. on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites