Photo

Character creation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Olazerghosto

Olazerghosto

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

Hey, I'm pretty new to rpg maker vx ace. I used the other rpg makers, but to a certain degree.

RMVX ace to me, feels difficult to handle, and I'm just now getting used to it. Anyways, my question would be, how can I make my game more of an rpg game, I mean this in the sence of character creation. How can i make it so not really at the beging of my game but say after a part in my game, the player is able to make his/her own character along with picking a class, or race. Is this possible? and I'm sorry if this has been posted already, i've tried my best to find a post much similar to this, but could never find it. and even in Rpg maker vx i wasnt really able to do this. players were just aloud to make their own names and chose a premade character if I recall.

So manly my questions would be.

1. Can I have it so players can make their own chacter, E.I. Name, Class, Look, maybe Race, Fraction?
2. Can I make this into an evit or will it pop up at the begging?

thanks for the help! It might be a lot, but I've seen a lot of your guy's work and its out standing.

Edited by Olazerghosto, 17 August 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#2 Julien Brightside

Julien Brightside

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

I think you check in the EVENT list, there should be on the first one:
"Show Choices."

In the second tab, there should be various:
"Change actor sprite, change actor name" etc.

Does this help?

#3 Olazerghosto

Olazerghosto

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Kinda! Just looking more of the all on one screen! something kinda like WoW or even EO, not even talking about the 3d just the creation. if that possible. I'm just looking for one screen,

Name:_______
Class: Rouge \/
Race: Human \/
Hair: 1
Mouth: 1
Eyes: 1

See what i'm kinda saying? or like right when you start it pops up but with more look than a simple choice menu. Doesn't really matter how simple it is just if its good to the players eyes, easy to use, not spending time looking a choices instead of creating a character, if possible like full custimization to character not really pick through premades.
But if it's the only way, It will work, just trying to put more into my game. thank you!
If thats not asking too much!

Edited by Olazerghosto, 11 August 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#4 Celianna

Celianna

VX/Ace tileset artist

• Global Moderators
  • 6,651 posts

User's Awards

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:14 AM

That is actually really advanced, try requesting a script instead.

new_logo_small_zpsae8f2402.png
A new dungeon-themed tileset in the works.

#5 Olazerghosto

Olazerghosto

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

Thank you, but I've sorta approached it like julien said, I've made a bunch of sprites, and did some events. But it's not working for some reason.
I'm having some problems right now. I'm doing an intro with some pictures, but when I do the screen shows up black so I had to get rid of them, which was a shame, would have looked nice. So I skipped that part and went on with character making. I Made 4 classes, male and female for each class, but I can't make it switch the actors look and face, even though I made it switch actor. So when you click let's say 'rouge- male'nothing happened, the player will spawn as the same default player. Guy with the grey hair. I don't know how to fix this. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
I hope that's not confusing!

#6 Celianna

Celianna

VX/Ace tileset artist

• Global Moderators
  • 6,651 posts

User's Awards

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

Use the 'move route' command to change a sprite's appearance. This doesn't change their face in dialogue though (you'd have to find a custom message script that allows you to change faces based on who is the party leader).

new_logo_small_zpsae8f2402.png
A new dungeon-themed tileset in the works.

#7 Olazerghosto

Olazerghosto

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

Thank you so much! It worked! I knew I'd get help, haha. Do you have any ideas on why the pictures are turning up black? I'm quite positive I have everything at the right settings, but I could be very wrong!
once i get that working and the faces I should be good to go! do you know of any scrips that do this right off the bat? I'll be looking in the mean time, shouldn't be that hard to find! And one last question, i've also been searching for but i never get the right thing! Adding new weapons, when i search this i find stuff I already know, But like graphics? I mean it couldn't possible be that hard, but any programs i really need? I have Gimp, thats what i've been using. but how would i import weapon graphics from in the game? Example:
I found these-- http://www.rpgmakerv.../275-object-28/ (all credits go to them, haha) How would I import these into my game without messing up any other weapons and items? I don't see a download. but just adding new graphics is what i'm mainly looking for! I'll edit this if i find something of use to any of these. Thanks for all your help Celianna! Props and credits will go to you ahah!
-edit-
wait! Graphic isn't my problem, i'm sure i can fix that on my own sooner or later. my problem is, and i've seen something like this before. can i edit the scrips so i can make it so players can't press 'escape' and save, they have to go to an object to save?

Edited by Olazerghosto, 13 August 2012 - 12:04 AM.

#8 Andov

Andov

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

...can i edit the scrips so i can make it so players can't press 'escape' and save, they have to go to an object to save?

Save point is common in RPG games. The  VX Ace maker comes stocked with many graphics that are easily recognizable as such. You can create an event using one (or your own [advanced]) for the save point. In the event commands you can do the save function. Just have to find it. Have fun with that one :)

I dont remember, sorry I'm afk, but I think you can disable save. It might be a setting on map properties. Left side bottom right click the map you want to disable save and look for the checkbox. Might have to disable save on each map. There should also be a script which allows you to customize the "escape menu" and remove the save.

... how can I make my game more of an rpg game, I mean this in the sence of character creation. 

Also earlier it sounded to me like you want players to be able to roll their character/s. Roll comes from the dice games like A/D+D where attributes were assigned numbers based on dice rolls. It was very rare to get all high numbers. So you had to choose where to put high scores and low scores. All the math in those games (VX Ace games too) used attribute scores.

With that kind of setup players were allowed to distribute additional attribute points upon level up and at other times. It was a very intimate relationship which could last for years and paid well for planning and care.

This can be accomplished using VX Ace, however I am unsure if the tremendous effort required would be worthwhile for the types of games commonly created with it. Expansions and campaigns are possible but sequels are more common and there's difficulty porting a character into them, especially when so many possible variations of attribute scores, acquired/mastered spells, etc. are possible at "the end" of one game.

What you might try is having more than one class. You can increase the maximum number of classes then make custom ones. You can adjust the attribute score increases for each character level. You should also be able to limit/allow what types of weapons, armors, skills, and spells a class can start with and learn. You can use growth curves and equipment, along with simple storying, to really make a class believable.

The class of a character CAN be changed throughout the game. Also "jobs" and "professions" are common and you can find well done examples of both.

If you do intend to script character rolls and assigning level-up points I would be very eager to follow your progress with it. I would also be willing to collaborate on it.

I don't mean to poopooh the idea. I just think its going to take a lot of time and effort. I don't want you to get three weeks into it, figure out that it's going to take three months, and become discouraged.

-A-

Edited by Andov, 13 August 2012 - 11:22 PM.

#9 Olazerghosto

Olazerghosto

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:47 PM

Save point is common in RPG games. The VX Ace maker comes stocked with many graphics that are easily recognizable as such. You can create an event using one (or your own [advanced]) for the save point. In the event commands you can do the save function. Just have to find it. Have fun with that one :)

I dont remember, sorry I'm afk, but I think you can disable save. It might be a setting on map properties. Left side bottom right click the map you want to disable save and look for the checkbox. Might have to disable save on each map. There should also be a script which allows you to customize the "escape menu" and remove the save.

Also earlier it sounded to me like you want players to be able to roll their character/s. Roll comes from the dice games like A/D+D where attributes were assigned numbers based on dice rolls. It was very rare to get all high numbers. So you had to choose where to put high scores and low scores. All the math in those games (VX Ace games too) used attribute scores.

With that kind of setup players were allowed to distribute additional attribute points upon level up and at other times. It was a very intimate relationship which could last for years and paid well for planning and care.

This can be accomplished using VX Ace, however I am unsure if the tremendous effort required would be worthwhile for the types of games commonly created with it. Expansions and campaigns are possible but sequels are more common and there's difficulty porting a character into them, especially when so many possible variations of attribute scores, acquired/mastered spells, etc. are possible at "the end" of one game.

What you might try is having more than one class. You can increase the maximum number of classes then make custom ones. You can adjust the attribute score increases for each character level. You should also be able to limit/allow what types of weapons, armors, skills, and spells a class can start with and learn. You can use growth curves and equipment, along with simple storying, to really make a class believable.

The class of a character CAN be changed throughout the game. Also "jobs" and "professions" are common and you can find well done examples of both.

If you do intend to script character rolls and assigning level-up points I would be very eager to follow your progress with it. I would also be willing to collaborate on it.

I don't mean to poopooh the idea. I just think its going to take a lot of time and effort. I don't want you to get three weeks into it, figure out that it's going to take three months, and become discouraged.

-A-

Wow! I really like that idea! I kinda got the whole character creation down, but I might use that in a later game!

#10 Andov

Andov

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:38 AM

My apologies, I was wrong about the save checkbox being on map properties. Disable dashing is there.

There is an operand in the events on tab 3 that you can use to enable or disable saving. This would require an event on that map.

You can probably find a script to always disable save (greyed out) from the escape menu. You would need to enable saving on individual maps somehow( if you wanted to).

Try generating a save spot with an event first. Then try finding a script that has save disabled(greyed out) or removed from the escape menu. You'd need to make sure save points work over-riding the script in individual cases.

-A-

#11 skmagiik

skmagiik

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

May I ask about the custom character creation screen you were directed towards? That is the main thing I am looking for and I'm not advanced yet in ruby scripting and graphics.

#12 Andov

Andov

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

May I ask about the custom character creation screen you were directed towards? That is the main thing I am looking for and I'm not advanced yet in ruby scripting and graphics.

If you are asking me, I was referring to custom classes. That can be found in the database on the classes tab. Click to change maximum and increase the number. That will opulate the data list with blanks that you can then fill in with customs. Be careful, if you reduce the maximum it will DELETE a class that is using a removed slot.

#13 skmagiik

skmagiik

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

If you are asking me, I was referring to custom classes. That can be found in the database on the classes tab. Click to change maximum and increase the number. That will opulate the data list with blanks that you can then fill in with customs. Be careful, if you reduce the maximum it will DELETE a class that is using a removed slot.

I was reffering to the OP, Olazerghost and the character generator/player selection he started using.

#14 Olazerghosto

Olazerghosto

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

I was reffering to the OP, Olazerghost and the character generator/player selection he started using.

Actually, The one I was going to use was Yafees. I thought it was what I wanted, but eventually I decided to go more toward the easy to use premade character. Which I did by using events. I took a look at what all I could do with the characters in the program. and with the help of these guys, I am now working on a Diablo, type character creation, If you know what I'm saying.

Basically, It starts off with picking through what class you want, male or female and then a making a name. then goes to the intro, then into the map it's self. All classes have their own map. And that's what I'm working with now. I'll start putting all my progress up somewhere on the forums, mainly as a diary, or something.

#15 skmagiik

skmagiik

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Well I want to make something similar starting with Male/Female --> Character looks to choose hair,clothes, etc --> Enter Name and then sets a default class (specific to my game) or asks for a choice of class --> Shows attributes, and allows for allocation of a rolled number of attributes.

#16 Olazerghosto

Olazerghosto

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

Well I want to make something similar starting with Male/Female --> Character looks to choose hair,clothes, etc --> Enter Name and then sets a default class (specific to my game) or asks for a choice of class --> Shows attributes, and allows for allocation of a rolled number of attributes.

From what I've experienced with my help, and what I've done on my game, it would have to do with scripting. and events.But most of what you want, you can do over events.
Basics without the scripting, I'm sure if you found scripting for it , it might be a little be difficult. but here's what you can do without it hah.
1.Then make a new event, make a new "Show text" say what ever you want on it, but basically it should say, "Male or Female" so you're asking the players what they want to be,
2.Add A "Show Choices" to the event, Pretty much for choice one, make it say "Male" and for choice two make it say "Female". Don't forget to put disallow, for choices to cancel.
here's where it starts to get a little complicated..
3. On the male option, where it goes down and you can add more branches, add a "Move Route" on page 2 click change graphic, and use your male sprite,
4.same thing with the female,
5.on each branch, add a new "Show text" have it say something like "What is your name?"
6.on each branch again after the "show text" add "Show input name" or something like that, on the last page. chose an actor. and your basically done.

If I were you, I'd look around the forums for a script for this!