Photo

Removing "A" Set tiles with event?

help event tileset

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Harmonic Distortion

Harmonic Distortion

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hello everyone!

I'm creating a dungeon and I want to have a "secret door" (i.e. the player presses a switch and a passageway opens up in an otherwise normal-looking wall). The wall is constructed using "A" set tiles. Is there a way to remove the wall tiles with an event to effectively open a passageway in the wall? I'd really rather not have to change the wall graphic to something else (as that would make the "hidden door" way too obvious). It doesn't have to be animated or anything, I just need the section of wall to disappear.

I'm not that good with events yet so please forgive me if this is a foolish question. ^^;;; Let me know if you need any more details.

Thanks!

#2 tpasmall

tpasmall

The Mauve Avenger

• Early Adopter+
  • 669 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

Use an event set up over the passageway then use a switch to change the graphic on the event.

eg.

Event Page 1 -> No Graphic

(switch a on)

Event Page 2 -> 'Hole' Graphic

newbanner.png

editorium.png

RM Games I've Enjoyed:

Manifest, Forced Recall, The Cartographer, Star Stealing Prince

#3 Harmonic Distortion

Harmonic Distortion

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

Thanks! After a little tweaking this seems to have worked. However, I've run into another small snag. The wall in question is two tiles high (there's the "wall top" tile and the "wall side" tile) and the player is approaching from above. However, no matter what options I set on the event for the top tile, the player cannot pass through it. If necessary, I will change this to a second "hole" tile, but I would really like to keep the "wall top" graphic in place. Any way to get around this?

EDIT: OK, now I can't even get it to work with a "top" hole tile... on the tileset editor, I have the "top" hole tile marked with a star, which indicates that the player can pass, but the character graphic will be "behind" the tile, correct? With this setting, I can't get the player to pass through the top hole. If I change the passability to a circle, it works fine. Am I doing something wrong here?

Edited by Harmonic Distortion, 11 September 2012 - 09:33 AM.

#4 tpasmall

tpasmall

The Mauve Avenger

• Early Adopter+
  • 669 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

Use a blank tile from tilesets b-e with the 'o' setting, then put your event 'set to above' with the wall top graphic, it should work then.

newbanner.png

editorium.png

RM Games I've Enjoyed:

#5 Harmonic Distortion

Harmonic Distortion

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

Hi tpasmall,

Thanks for your help! I gave that a try but it still doesn't work... my character just runs up against the wall top and stops dead. I've tried it with and without the "Through" option, and with every trigger type. If I set the priority to "Below characters" it works, but then the character graphic passes in front of the wall graphic.

Maybe it'll help if I post everything I'm doing, in case I've gone obviously wrong somewhere but I just can't see it. ^^;

Event 001
Conditions: switch1 = on
Graphic: transparent graphic (or "upper hole" graphic, either way)
Priority: Above characters

Event 002
Conditions: switch1 = on
Graphic: "lower hole" tile (from tileset "B")
Priority: Below characters

Event 003
Page 1: no conditions, contents "set switch1 to on", activate on button press, graphic of switch lever in "left" position
Page 2: condition that switch1 is on, graphic of switch lever in "right" position

As I said, it works fine when I have the priority for Event 001 set to "Below." I'm thinking what I might do is just take the floor tile graphic, and stick it into a custom set that I can select from the Graphic box in the event. At least it'll give me an excuse to figure out how to do that. :)

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Harmonic Distortion, 11 September 2012 - 11:30 PM.

#6 Celianna

Celianna

VX/Ace tileset artist

• Global Moderators
  • 6,654 posts

User's Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

Setting the priority of the event to above characters, should not prevent the player from passing through it (the trigger doesn't matter in this case). Try again.

The tile below the event however, should be passable. If it's not passable (such as a real wall) the player will stop in its tracks. Be sure to put a tile underneath the event that will allow the player to walk through it.

new_logo_small_zpsae8f2402.png
A new dungeon-themed tileset in the works.

#7 tpasmall

tpasmall

The Mauve Avenger

• Early Adopter+
  • 669 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

Did you use a blank tile on the wall top with the circle passability? (Not in the event, but an actual tile put on top of the wall top from tiles b-e). That's the key to making it work with the 'above' passability

newbanner.png

editorium.png

RM Games I've Enjoyed:

#8 Harmonic Distortion

Harmonic Distortion

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for your help, everyone. What I ended up doing is having just a blank space (i.e. the floor tile) on the actual map for the passageway. I created two events (since the wall is two tiles "high") each with two pages; page one has no conditions, priority is "same as player", and has the wall tile graphic (which I had to create a custom graphic for... why can't you choose A tiles in the Graphic box?), and page two has the condition "switch1 = on" with no graphic. This seems to have done it.

Thank you both for your assistance!

#9 Archeia

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend

• RPG Maker Web Staff
  • 5,526 posts

User's Awards

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.
"We know you love making and playing games, so we put a game maker inside your game." - RPG Maker

vTfvO9c.png divisionheaven.jpg 9z3sTnf.png 9XdYe9l.gifU3Ysr.gifMrDVk.gifnN3FkP7.gifDV874XU.gif

Script Call Collection for any hidden RMVXAce Secrets!
Learn how RPG Maker VXAce calculates damage/recovery over here!
Got stuck in RMVXAce and can't find out why? Check out this thread first to see if there's a work around!

We can't just say 'no, this is wrong, I'm not touching it'. We don't have that luxury. We need to experience, experiment and talk about these themes in full, coming to understand them and learn how to use them. To do that we need to discuss them without being afraid of being labelled, or being judged. We need to break out of our regimented ideals of right and wrong to look at such things and learn how to use them ourselves and the only way to do that is to actually look at them, discuss them and pay heed to what others have to say or think about them.