Photo

Scripting?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bloodmorphed

Bloodmorphed

Dungeon Fanatic

• Member+
  • 566 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

Well I'm wanting to know what script the engine uses, I've been told personally its Ruby, but just have to ask anyways.

Now actually scripting my own stuff will be WAY later after I make some games and look through the scripts and start doing minimal stuff. I'm currently watching the starter video series and probably will multiple times. That being said... How long (to a normal person) would be able to learn this language, the basics anyway. Or should I learn something first?

I plan on making quite a few games from this engine before migrating to creating my own engine ETC (would will probably be years from now :/) But either way, gotta keep your dreams high flyin right?

Tomb of the Lost Art:

peQXT1p.png

One Month Game-Making Challenge Progress:

Argal's Legend

Story: 100%

Maps: 3%

Database: 80%

Scripts: 95%

Characters: 30%

Overall: 62%

Spoiler

#2 Tsukihime

Tsukihime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 5,195 posts

User's Awards

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

Yes, Ruby.
If you already are able to write your own engine from scratch then probably 24 hours is enough to pick it up and do something. Really depends on your experience and ability to learn.

Edited by Tsukihime, 16 September 2012 - 10:51 AM.

My Scripts. Go here for Bugs and Requests.
Want to write a tutorial? Submit a community tutorial!

himeworks011.png

Like on Facebook: HimeWorks
Follow me on Twitter for the latest updates! @HimeWorks

#3 Bloodmorphed

Bloodmorphed

Dungeon Fanatic

• Member+
  • 566 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

Well I do not know how to make my own engine - if I could I would rather then using this. But... I suppose a few months should do if I'm working constantly on it.

Tomb of the Lost Art:

peQXT1p.png

Argal's Legend

Spoiler

#4 Mouser

Mouser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

Well I do not know how to make my own engine - if I could I would rather then using this. But... I suppose a few months should do if I'm working constantly on it.

If you don't know how to make a game engine, it's probably not a realistic or even beneficial goal to have. Plenty of great game engines have already been made by people and teams that have poured years into them. Why re-invent the wheel when you don't have to? If you really feel the need to customize one, get an engine that gives access to the source code so you can modify what's there - some of these are free, and others aren't that much more expensive than RM. And most of them don't require you to 'open source' your end product (even the "free" ones).

Banner.png

Get it HERE.

"The multitudes see death as tragic. If this were true, so then would be birth"

- Pisha, VtM:Bloodlines

#5 Bloodmorphed

Bloodmorphed

Dungeon Fanatic

• Member+
  • 566 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:23 AM

If you don't know how to make a game engine, it's probably not a realistic or even beneficial goal to have. Plenty of great game engines have already been made by people and teams that have poured years into them. Why re-invent the wheel when you don't have to? If you really feel the need to customize one, get an engine that gives access to the source code so you can modify what's there - some of these are free, and others aren't that much more expensive than RM. And most of them don't require you to 'open source' your end product (even the "free" ones).

You do have a point. But I'd making the game engine for practice though your point makes that kinda moot.

Well... I'm learning ruby then, do have any tips (or websites) I can check into? When I'm ready of course.

Thanks for your help,
~Blood

Tomb of the Lost Art:

peQXT1p.png

Argal's Legend