• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:11 AM

Posted Image

The Situation:

A shipment of valuable goods belonging to the mega corporation, Solarcorp, left a secure base and traveled to its destination unmolested. Once there, the contents are found inexplicably gone without a trace. Shortly after, a half-dead witness contacts the company, claiming that this was a heist, and that he was part of it. Driven mad by shock and pain, he is unable to give the information he claims to have. The agents of Solarcorp, feeling their time limited, decide to enlist the services of two memory divers, said to be the best in the business. Their goal is to dive into the man's fractured mindscape in an attempt to help him remember his role in the seemingly impossible heist, so that they can persecute and punish the thieves - and perhaps find out if there's more to the heist than it seems.

Characters:

Rene - A laid back memory diver who seems to not have a care in the world. Though his warm and friendly demeanor wins him many friends, he rarely commands any respect from clients as he exudes an aura of carelessness that runs contrary to his reputation. He is otherwise unexpectedly sharp and surprisingly good at what he does.

Cleffy - Rene's partner in crime, the two seem as if they were really brothers. Like Rene he doesn't seem to take his job seriously, causing similar misunderstandings. Although he is a memory diver as well, he prefers to monitor Rene from outside, giving him valuable information, at least part of the time. Most of the time he instead pokes fun at Rene's various misfortunes in the many mindscapes they've explored.

Ms. Z - An agent of Solarcorp security who hired Rene and Cleffy. She is as mysterious as her refusal to use a proper name. She is serious, direct, fiercely loyal, and ruthless in her work, making her an effective agent, but this same personality clashes ferociously with the seemingly bumbling duo of memory divers.

Jones - The witness who barely survived what is believed to be an assassination attempt from one of his associates. He claimed to have been part of the elaborate heist of the valuable unnamed goods, in which he claims to have seen every member and level of the operation. His motivation for betraying his associates is unknown, as he was barely conscious when he was found by Solarcorp. Despite his grievous injuries, Solarcorp refuses to let him heal, instead deciding to get as much information out of him as possible before it's too late. Jones seems to have played a lot of games in his youth and as a result his mindscape looks like that of a game.

Features/Game Information:

-A futuristic crime investigation story with a humorous tone.
-The game is non-linear, and the player can take on any of the four "dungeons" of the game in any order in their hunt for the fragments. The dungeons vary from each other, each requiring different play styles to complete.
-Time is the only resource. The player has only 20 minutes to start with, representing the mindscape's stability. Sustaining damage doesn't kill the player, but takes away valuable time instead. Conversely, acquiring fragments or orbs will restore time.
-The player gets an ending depending on how many of the memory fragments they were able to acquire before time runs out, and gets a score at the end of the game based on their performance.
-Three difficulty levels.
-In addition to Story Mode, Arcade Mode (no cutscenes) and Challenge mode (no save points) are also available.
-The action inside the mindscape is punctuated by a series of cutscenes drawn in a rough style creating a contrast between the two.
-An original soundtrack

Credits:

-Various scripts by Yanfly
-Illustrations by me
-Music by Jesus "Cleffy" Avila and Michael Somnes

File:

Download

52.7 MB, RTP should not be needed

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Edited by JIHAUS, 11 October 2012 - 10:37 PM.

• Archeia, Sentient, SolarGale and 1 other like this
General game/concept designer, pixel artist, and "plain old" artist

Posted Image (battle system/skill design and balance)

Posted Image (creator)

#2 Archeia

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend

• RPG Maker Web Staff
  • 5,996 posts
  • LocationChocolateLand
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageTaglish

User's Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

Wow those puzzles look elaborate. I'm actually afraid to play this game now 8D;

Eg4UmGC.jpgXJt2UTX.png

FK6sdj2.png || ZKYFctv.png

Script Call Collection || RMVXA Damage Flow || RMVXA Tips and Tricks 

9z3sTnf.png

"We know you love making and playing games, so we put a game maker inside your game." - RPG Maker

#3 tpasmall

tpasmall

The Mauve Avenger

• Early Adopter
  • 669 posts
  • LocationIn the attic, to the left
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

Looks interesting, and a 20 minute time limit actually draws me in even more, I'll have to try this one.

newbanner.png

editorium.png

RM Games I've Enjoyed:

Manifest, Forced Recall, The Cartographer, Star Stealing Prince

#4 Archeia

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend

• RPG Maker Web Staff
  • 5,996 posts
  • LocationChocolateLand
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageTaglish

User's Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

What I thought about playing this game.

Spoiler

2nd Judge's Thoughts

Spoiler

CANT. STOP. PLAYING.

Eg4UmGC.jpgXJt2UTX.png

FK6sdj2.png || ZKYFctv.png

Script Call Collection || RMVXA Damage Flow || RMVXA Tips and Tricks 

9z3sTnf.png

"We know you love making and playing games, so we put a game maker inside your game." - RPG Maker

#5 Sentient

Sentient

--Collective Intelligence--

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Primarily UsesN/A

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:29 AM

Since this is already judged and everything I thought I can post two questions about it and possible a bug in the Rage stages, if not please delete this post.
Spoiler

Also Note that I'm not a judge, as I'm sure most of you know, so do take anything I say as important.

By the way loved it!!

Edited by Sentient, 23 September 2012 - 01:50 AM.

#6 JIHAUS

JIHAUS

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:35 AM

Since this is already judged and everything I thought I can post two questions about it, if not please delete this post.

Spoiler

Let's see...(Do not open unless you want spoilers)

Spoiler

Edited by JIHAUS, 23 September 2012 - 01:40 AM.

Posted Image (creator)

#7 Sentient

Sentient

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Primarily UsesN/A

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:48 AM

:rolleyes:
Spoiler

Edited by Sentient, 23 September 2012 - 01:55 AM.

#8 JIHAUS

JIHAUS

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:45 AM

What I thought about playing this game.

Spoiler

2nd Judge's Thoughts

Spoiler

CANT. STOP. PLAYING.

Some creator notes/comments:

- I didn't get to test the clear game very much unfortunately. That was a bit low priority since I wanted to focus on finishing the game more. No point in having a new game+ if people don't want to go back and play your game.
- The graying out of teleporters is indeed a good idea and I realized that after the fact. I'll be updating this when I get more feedback on this game.
- You can thank my friend Jesus (Cleffy, not the one from the bible) for that music, I roped him into this to get him out of a rut he was in inspiration wise and it looks like we got something good out of it. The Glass/Hate dungeon theme and the main theme/sanctuary theme are the work of my old friend and composer Ariae, and these are actually old themes he gave to me for a vaporware game I had.
- I had made this game and entered this contest to familiarize myself with VX Ace, having come from rm2k3. As such I wanted to use basic events and RTP and whatnot without diving too much into grabbing scripts and etc. This was my first VX Ace game and I made this on trial version.
- I thought I sucked at designing puzzles, so I instead thought of the central resource "time", so I designed the dungeons around wasting or taking away time, or creating situations that would force you to expend time. I also knew I was using RTP so I wanted to have certain chipsets in mind.
- The Glass/Hate dungeon and the Town/Confusion dungeon are examples of the time wasting idea, as few things actually hurt you there.
- The Overworld/Rage dungeon is me putting my old ABS experience from the rm2k days to use and was only plausible because of the surreal nature of this game. I created this based on looking at VXA's RTP overworld chipset and thinking that it'd be awesome to use that for something. If there were more vehicles available on RTP or if I had more time, this would be significantly nuttier.
-The Metal/Pain dungeon was the first dungeon I designed for this game and was designed with "be as much of a dick as possible" mentality in mind. Ultimately it ended up working well as it forced the player to march to the tune of the spikes instead of spam dashing all day.
- In working with the above concept of maximizing time wasting, I adjusted the dash speed to the maximum to make it a bit more uncontrollable so it could be less spammable and more risky, especially in areas like the Metal/Pain dungeon
- I was afraid my cutscene pics would be ill-received due to how rough and rushed they look. They were all drawn during downtime at work on a small drawing pad with a black ball pen (what I normally use to scribble coworkers' faces when bored)
- On that note, all of the characters were based on coworkers except for Z and Jones, contrary to my usual tendency to create (lots of) original characters.
- I never thought myself good at writing mysteries so I stuck with something I was familiar with, being nonlinear gameplay, this brand of humor, hand drawn cutscenes, and essentially function over form. As such the graphical aspect was a bit weak here, using only RTP.
- I'm glad those who have played it have enjoyed it so much. This was a fun experience and I am definitely convinced of the power and fun of this engine. I'll be designing my future projects on this engine for certain.

Edited by JIHAUS, 23 September 2012 - 02:46 AM.

Posted Image (creator)

#9 JIHAUS

JIHAUS

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:49 AM

Since this is already judged and everything I thought I can post two questions about it and possible a bug in the Rage stages, if not please delete this post.

Spoiler

Also Note that I'm not a judge, as I'm sure most of you know, so do take anything I say as important.

By the way loved it!!

Oh crap, thanks for pointing that rage bug out. You know I saw this a couple times when testing but since the problem didn't come up in repeat tests I didn't think about it. I'm definitely gonna look into this one. Castles award you 2 points per square so smashing them could easily lead to this problem. Until I get an updated version posted, you may have to stick to destroying castles first.

Edited by JIHAUS, 23 September 2012 - 02:52 AM.

Posted Image (creator)

#10 Sentient

Sentient

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Primarily UsesN/A

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:06 AM

An easy fix. I opend the game up, After completing mind you, to see if it was an easy fix and it is.
If you would like let me know and I'll PM you.

I was afraid my cutscene pics would be ill-received due to how rough and rushed they look. They were all drawn during downtime at work on a small drawing pad with a black ball pen (what I normally use to scribble coworkers' faces when bored)
- On that note, all of the characters were based on coworkers except for Z and Jones, contrary to my usual tendency to create (lots of) original characters.

I loved the cutscene drawings.
To me it only strengthen and helped define the world in the game, no negative side for me.

Edited by Sentient, 23 September 2012 - 03:12 AM.

#11 JIHAUS

JIHAUS

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:08 AM

An easy fix. I opend the game up, After completing mind you, to see if it was an easy fix and it is.
If you would like let me know and I'll PM you.

I looked at it too and I just set the requirements to be greater than or equal to the number. That should fix the problem. Is that what you did?

Posted Image (creator)

#12 Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy

Legal Eagle

• Lead Eagle
  • 3,637 posts
  • LocationAthens, GA, USA
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

I like stepping on buildings.

:3
  • Bob Saget likes this

#13 RyanA

RyanA

Happy Cat

• Member+
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationNot so merry ol' England
  • Primarily UsesRMVX
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

I like stepping on buildings.

:3

Is wonderful :3
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Supports

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 tpasmall

tpasmall

The Mauve Avenger

• Early Adopter
  • 669 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

In arcade mode, I've gotten 4 lesser fragments, but the green portal won't open. :-/

newbanner.png

editorium.png

RM Games I've Enjoyed:

#15 JIHAUS

JIHAUS

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:15 AM

In arcade mode, I've gotten 4 lesser fragments, but the green portal won't open. :-/

Well that was a damn horrible oversight. I'm glad my VXA trial version still has 2 days left so I could fix that!

I went ahead and reuploaded it with more recent bug reports fixed.

Posted Image (creator)

#16 tpasmall

tpasmall

The Mauve Avenger

• Early Adopter
  • 669 posts
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:46 AM

Cool, awesome game by the way. It's the only rpgmaker game I've played all the way through, haha.

newbanner.png

editorium.png

RM Games I've Enjoyed:

#17 ShinGamix

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!

• Members
  • 2,019 posts
  • LocationAlien Ship
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageApril Fools

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

downloaded the game and the rar file ended abruptly so it only exactracted the audio and other folders. No game or data or anything I could play.

I am sad about this wanted to play this tonight.

Does anyone have a copy of this they can upload for me?

Jihaus hasn't been here in a few months.

Edited by ShinGamix, 05 January 2014 - 08:24 PM.

Read The Topic of Battle Dungeons!!

sg_bar10.png

coollo23.pngcoollo24.png

Spoiler

#18 Alkorri

Alkorri

Proofreading Penguin

• Member+
  • 819 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageEnglish

User's Awards

Posted 18 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

OMG this game is brutal. I'm a wimp at timed games ;D

@ ShinGamix, you solved your problem already?

I support: starfavorsupport.png

My game is out!

xs1DF3H.png

(Jester chibi by Makio-Kuta)

Spoiler

#19 ShinGamix

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!

• Members
  • 2,019 posts
  • LocationAlien Ship
  • Primarily UsesRMVX Ace
  • First LanguageApril Fools

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

No I didn't ever get to play the game.

If anyone has a good dl of the demo please pm it the link to me.

Edited by ShinGamix, 18 January 2014 - 07:46 PM.

Read The Topic of Battle Dungeons!!

sg_bar10.png

coollo23.pngcoollo24.png

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RPG Maker VXAce, adventure, sci fi, mystery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users