Photo

Software for making pixel art.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#1 Emzie

Emzie

ಠ_ಠ

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

This topic will show you what kind of software you need for making pixel art.

FREE SOFTWARE

Microsoft Paint
Yes, you can make pixel art using Microsoft Paint, but hardly.(if you use Windows 7, don't do it.)

Paint.net
Paint.net is a advance version of Microsoft paint, and is easy to use than Microsoft paint.

Graphics Gale
A software especially created for making pixel art, easy to use but it's not noob-friendly.

Pro Motion
A drawing and animation software designed similar to the famous Amiga Deluxe Paint, this software can also be use for pixel art animations.

Personal Paint
A powerful and intuitive paint, image processing, animation and 24-bit printing package. Employ stunning effects like emboss, water-colors, transparencies and stereograms (as in "Magic Eye").

Tile Studio
A complete development utility for graphics of tile-based games.

Ultimate Paint
A full-featured 32-bit Windows graphics program for image creation, viewing and manipulation

Pickle

A cross-platform pixel editor for creating game animations, tiles and sprite sheets.

iDraw Chara Maker

A graphics program widely used by the game-making community (RPG Maker in particular), which uses palletized graphics, grid snapping, and animation previews. It is very useful for those making graphics for a tile-based game.

Ragepixel

A very powerful tool in fast prototyping and gamejam scenarios.

RotSprite

A sprite rotation and scaling utility developed by Xenowhirl. It outperforms most professional graphics software (such as Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro) when rotating sprites through an angle other than 90° or one of its multiples. Typically, other graphics editors will apply anti-aliasing or use a primitive nearest-neighbor method when rotating images, which produces results that are ugly or unsuitable for sprites.

SOFTWARE THAT YOU NEED TO BUY IT

Adobe Photoshop
If you want to make a RTP quality pixel art fast, this software is suit for you, but expensive.

Pixen
A open source pixel art editor designed for working with low-resolution raster art, such as those 8-bit sprites found in old-school video games. With innovative features like a unique color palette system, patterns, layers, and high-zoom support, Pixen packs all the tools pixel artists need in an intuitive, Pixen also makes creating frame-by-frame animations fun and easy, unfortunately this is only for Mac OS X.

Artweaver
Artweaver lets you paint creatively with the help of a huge range of painting tools, this software can even create more than pixel art.

Easy Icon Maker
A small and easy-to-use all-in-one icon utility for icon making editing, changing, extracting, searching, and exploring.

IcoFX
A more advance software for making icon(s), the software is look-like Paint.net

There are still some other software for pixel making, i discovered a online pixel art making software but i thought it would be useless, but why not? it's called Piq and Pixlr, and expect more tools recommended soon, and try some other member suggested tools.

Edited by Emzie, 19 January 2013 - 10:28 AM.

Current project:

None

'Cause im a lazy fawk

#2 Archeia

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend

• RPG Maker Web Staff
  • 5,630 posts

User's Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

Another one that are currently on the works is Spriter and Pyxel. I've been looking forward for these programs for a while now.
There's also Pixothello.
"We know you love making and playing games, so we put a game maker inside your game." - RPG Maker

vTfvO9c.png divisionheaven.jpg 9z3sTnf.png 9XdYe9l.gifU3Ysr.gifMrDVk.gifnN3FkP7.gifDV874XU.gif

Script Call Collection for any hidden RMVXAce Secrets!
Learn how RPG Maker VXAce calculates damage/recovery over here!
Got stuck in RMVXAce and can't find out why? Check out this thread first to see if there's a work around!

We can't just say 'no, this is wrong, I'm not touching it'. We don't have that luxury. We need to experience, experiment and talk about these themes in full, coming to understand them and learn how to use them. To do that we need to discuss them without being afraid of being labelled, or being judged. We need to break out of our regimented ideals of right and wrong to look at such things and learn how to use them ourselves and the only way to do that is to actually look at them, discuss them and pay heed to what others have to say or think about them.

#3 tpasmall

tpasmall

The Mauve Avenger

• Early Adopter+
  • 669 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:33 AM

There's also Gimp, which I'm not a fan of, but I know some people swear by it.

newbanner.png

editorium.png

RM Games I've Enjoyed:

Manifest, Forced Recall, The Cartographer, Star Stealing Prince

#4 wltr3565

wltr3565

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

There's also Gimp, which I'm not a fan of, but I know some people swear by it.

Ah, GIMP. It's more reliable as an image editor akin to Photoshop. Drawing from scratch using it is the same as using Photoshop; Cumbersome. Not that cumbersome at least. I just find it less efficient to make new colors, very unlike SAI and Graphics Gale.

Oh, SAI. It can make pixel arts too using Binary tool. I even saw some japanese artists show off their pixelwork is being worked in SAI. But SAI's cursoring aren't that supportive for pixel by pixel compared to Paint (Microsoft XP) and Graphics Gale.

U13jACE.png

#5 Ksi

Ksi

~RTP Princess~

• Resource Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

I'm rather partial to iDraw for anything under 256 colours. It's easy to use and has many options, including animation (you can save an animation, change the speed or the frames) and toggle right-click colour change. There's a lot or other neat options and recolouring is very easy with it.

zX4vLyK.png ~ 2BhFWWw.png

Gku7Yum.png

kT3PBuX.png

borM7qr.png

#6 DonCreek

DonCreek

The OH!Yeah!

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

Try Pixelesque (https://play.google....ixelesque&hl=tl) > Freeware > Good for tablet users. For Android OS, I'm experimenting on this software.

Edited by DonCreek, 21 September 2012 - 12:44 PM.

#7 Bloodmorphed

Bloodmorphed

Dungeon Fanatic

• Member+
  • 512 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

I'm curious as there are pixel-are tutorials for some of these?

I'm more looking toward graphics gale then anything else ATM.

Tomb of the Lost Art:

peQXT1p.png

One Month Game-Making Challenge Progress:

Argal's Legend

Story: 50%

Maps: 0%

Database: 0%

Characters: 2%

Overall: 13%

Spoiler

#8 Archeia

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend

• RPG Maker Web Staff
  • 5,630 posts

User's Awards

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

Join me brother 8D
"We know you love making and playing games, so we put a game maker inside your game." - RPG Maker

vTfvO9c.png divisionheaven.jpg 9z3sTnf.png 9XdYe9l.gifU3Ysr.gifMrDVk.gifnN3FkP7.gifDV874XU.gif

Script Call Collection for any hidden RMVXAce Secrets!
Learn how RPG Maker VXAce calculates damage/recovery over here!
Got stuck in RMVXAce and can't find out why? Check out this thread first to see if there's a work around!

We can't just say 'no, this is wrong, I'm not touching it'. We don't have that luxury. We need to experience, experiment and talk about these themes in full, coming to understand them and learn how to use them. To do that we need to discuss them without being afraid of being labelled, or being judged. We need to break out of our regimented ideals of right and wrong to look at such things and learn how to use them ourselves and the only way to do that is to actually look at them, discuss them and pay heed to what others have to say or think about them.

#9 Bloodmorphed

Bloodmorphed

Dungeon Fanatic

• Member+
  • 512 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

Join me brother 8D

Join you...? What we gonna take over the world? Awesome :)

Tomb of the Lost Art:

peQXT1p.png

One Month Game-Making Challenge Progress:

Argal's Legend

Story: 50%

Maps: 0%

Database: 0%

Characters: 2%

Overall: 13%

Spoiler

#10 Emzie

Emzie

ಠ_ಠ

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

I'm curious as there are pixel-are tutorials for some of these?

Yes my friend, join the Graphics Gale side my friend. XD

and yes thanks to the software suggestions everyone, i might put them in the list but they have a link so nevermind. :)

Current project:

None

'Cause im a lazy fawk

#11 Emmych

Emmych

There's a 90% I'm hitting on you right now

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:20 AM

@People asking about tutorials, what they oughta use... all that schtick: it really doesn't matter! Just find the program that works the best for you (I've stuck with PS, but that's because I was already used to the program and didn't really care to learn another one), and then use it.

Use the tool that lets you draw one pixel at a time, and BOOM, you can make pixel art. Easy as that.
...seriously: only tools I use in PS for pixel art: pencil tool, eraser (set to function like the pencil tool), eyedropper and the selection tool (for movin' shit around). That's it. Honestly, I do not need PS to do that, but it's what I use!

The program you use will not magically improve your skills -- the only way to improve is to practice!
My stuff:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Stuff I dig:

#12 ShinGamix

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

I use Gimp only because i dont want to learn Ps, but I am going to check out that Tile Studio.

-Edit-(a few mins later) Whoa! I didn't know such a thing existed! YES! What a gold mine here.
Also found Tiled too.

Edited by ShinGamix, 22 September 2012 - 09:30 AM.

Read The Topic of Battle Dungeons!!

sg_bar10.png

coollo23.pngcoollo24.png

Spoiler

#13 Emzie

Emzie

ಠ_ಠ

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

I use Gimp only because i dont want to learn Ps, but I am going to check out that Tile Studio.

-Edit-(a few mins later) Whoa! I didn't know such a thing existed! YES! What a gold mine here.
Also found Tiled too.

Due to my research Tile Studio is best for making tilesets and iconsets :)

Edit:Nah it's just for tileset ;)

Edited by Emzie, 22 September 2012 - 09:26 PM.

Current project:

None

'Cause im a lazy fawk

#14 Maligned

Maligned

Definitely probably knows part of the answer

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:34 PM

Another piece of software no one has yet mentioned is Krita.
It's an open-source program like GIMP, but it's not an image-manipulator or photo-editor; It's designed primarily and almost solely for digital artists.
For pixel art it will run the same as just about any other program you mentioned, but it has a huge number of brushes with completely different behaviors to them so it'll be much more useful for creating portraits, scenes, and the more high detail content in your game.
But still, It's worth mentioning.
(Windows port is still "Highly experimental". It runs but has errors occasionally. I recommend having a linux partition or a separate computer for it or any unix based software. Linux runs lighter anyways ^_^)

Posted Image

Currently working on:

Spoiler

#15 Mon Dez

Mon Dez

Good Loser

• Member+
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

Adobe Photoshop in my opinion is very good for pixel pictures, but I only do it for minkoff battlers. Microsoft Paint is what I use to sprite the VX characters. With different programs it's really best to find what you're comfortable with.

I'll take a look at tile studio because I plan on making my own tilesets for my game and photoshop isn't going to be great for it.

Oversoul Website plus my Character sig:

Spoiler

Sig_zps08f7cdc7.jpg

My Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.c...er/TotemicGamer

#16 Lunarea

Lunarea

Artist

• Admin
  • 5,422 posts

User's Awards

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

I plan on making my own tilesets for my game and photoshop isn't going to be great for it.

This is funny to me, because I exclusively use Photoshop for making tiles - both in the painted VX/Ace stye and in the pixel RMXP style. I can't imagine using anything else.

Anyway, to stay on topic ... If any of you are a student, you should look into what discounts you have available through your school. Even a more expensive program like Photoshop can become affordable with a student discount.

My blog:

DevBlogSig.png

My current projects:

TUAH-userbar.png

Userbar-ST.png

#17 StarkinGyra

StarkinGyra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

I have used Photoshop for school when I was in it. I may have to get the dust off my copy and try it. I may even look into some of the other ones that where listed.

#18 TheNewTeddy

TheNewTeddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

Another piece of software no one has yet mentioned is Krita.
It's an open-source program like GIMP, but it's not an image-manipulator or photo-editor; It's designed primarily and almost solely for digital artists.
For pixel art it will run the same as just about any other program you mentioned, but it has a huge number of brushes with completely different behaviors to them so it'll be much more useful for creating portraits, scenes, and the more high detail content in your game.
But still, It's worth mentioning.
(Windows port is still "Highly experimental". It runs but has errors occasionally. I recommend having a linux partition or a separate computer for it or any unix based software. Linux runs lighter anyways ^_^)

After GIMP and Paint.net both failed to install properly, I was forced to find an alternative to open PSD files and came cross Krita. I can attest it is indeed of high quality, and I've never seen any other free image editing program that has as many bells and whistles.
If I correct your english while making a post, please note I am trying to be helpful and not rude. :) If you find it rude, I'm willing to delete it if you PM me.

#19 ShinGamix

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!

• Members
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

@ TheNewTeddy
Gimp failed to install? That is a first for me to hear.

Read The Topic of Battle Dungeons!!

sg_bar10.png

coollo23.pngcoollo24.png

Spoiler

#20 Emzie

Emzie

ಠ_ಠ

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:40 AM

After GIMP and Paint.net both failed to install properly

What? try downloading it and install it again.

Current project:

None

'Cause im a lazy fawk