Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Elements

RPG MAKER VXACE Sayako

15 posts in this topic

CqwRu.png

If I had to mark the starting point ...
Then perhaps her abrupt ending was actually the beginning of everything.
By the time we gave up on logic and common sense in order to understand ...

It was already too late.

cDpj2.png

Sayako is a game heavily rooted in the exploration and horror genres, and the first entry in a planned trilogy, but by no means an incomplete story by itself. It tells the the story of two teenagers who nearly 6 months after the loss of a close friend, find themselves trapped in a looping nightmare related to her and the events sorrounding her demise. In a last ditch attempt to salvage their sanity, they decide to head for the location those dreams hint to visit. The hospital where said friend, Sayako Noguchi perished.

GXQRw.png

The now abandoned Ancora Hills Sanatorium
Operational for 40 years, the Ancora Hills sanatorium served nearly 3 billion patients while it remained operational, however, the reputation of said institution saw itself tarnished during the later run of its life, with varied reports of patient mistreatment and covered up negligence. The highly controversial case of Sayako Noguchi would casually become the last, yet greatest black stain on the records, before the scheduled closure and decommission of the facility. Today, the intimidating structure remains largely abandoned, becoming an object of urban legends and vandalism.

Yf9Yr.png

9OsmV.png
Wayne Loomis
A cool headed guy who tries to abide by logic and common sense whenever possible. His world took a bitter turn after his perfect triangle of friendship was broken when his friend Sayako, "Saya" as he usually called her, died under the worst possible circumstances. His life would further be thrown into chaos as a series of recurring macabre nightmares related to Saya began to plague him. In a last ditch attempt to find a solution,
it was his idea to go back to the now abandoned Ancora hills hospital, the place where Saya's tragedy took place.

8poqE.png
Yuri Miyazawa
A stubborn girl of japanese descent who is an old,close friend of Wayne and goes to the same international school as him. She was also part of the triangle, made up by her,Wayne and Saya, prior to the tragedy. Yuri doesn't generally enjoy stepping outside of her comfort zone, but is ironically forced to so under extreme conditions as she becomes victim of the same recurring nightmares as Wayne.

enbZL.png
Sayako Noguchi
Once the last piece of the friendship triangle Her,Yuri and Wayne formed. Her personality, developments and the mysterious circumstances around her tragic demise are a central part of the game.

sX7xq.png

• Stamina Gauge
  • Flashlight System - press Q during the game to switch on/off flashlight
  • Dynamic Encounters
  • Plot driven exploration and puzzles.

wS2SV.png

S1.PNG

S2.PNG

S3.PNG

S4.PNG

ZkVzK.png

YQd9E.png

Comments from Developers

Elements
Sayako initially began as a random idea cooked up between Evileagles and I,when we first heard about the Mystery Contest. We decided to venture in a genre where I had personally never written or designed for before, so the prospect was definitely interesting. Early on, we planned to bundle the 3 stories which will make up the main trilogy together in a single game, but given the time constraints of the contest, we ended up deciding to go for a trilogy of 3 isolated yet spiritually connected chronicles.

When do things actually go as planned though? lolol.
After a 3 weeks development hell, deciding on very rough plot events, and in-between life occupations, we go 5 days back in time before the deadline, this game literally did not exist. I had scripted some (very) buggy systems, and EE had finished the tilesets and most basic charsets, but we were far from an actual game yet at this point. I'll be the first to recognize Sayako is an ambitious bet, given the time-frame and all, and the build we finished for the contest wasn't entirely to our liking, however, it was the one we were able to put together literally in the course of 4 days, when we decided to actually do submit something for this occasion, and the process was quite fun~

It was definitely a new learning experience for me, as I had never before attempted to event cut scenes and systems akin to those featured in horror games, nor write "horror" stories. Playing with lights, sounds, sudden graphic changes, and the like, I'm not sure how well people will like it, but it was quite fun for me to work on. Writing wise, well. there isn't much time to proofread, when your submission deadline is in 48 hours lolol, and oh boy, time sure flies when you're making and debugging several cutscenes. In fact most of the errors you'll find dialogue/System/graphic wise, will find their roots over rushing to meet the deadline. Please continue to keep an eye over future updates on Sayako~ EE and I will definitely revamp this sooner than you think.

EvilEagles
When I first heard about the theme of the contest which is about "Solving a Mystery", my brain automatically thought of survival horror genre. Not saying the 'Mystery' genre should always come with 'Survival' or 'Horror', it's just that they always come together in my mind and in my opinion are actually a great combination.So I sat back and recalled the most recent Mystery/Horror game I had played, which was an iOS game named 'I Found You', in which you play as the leader of a journalist team, sent to investigate an abandoned hospital which is rumored to be haunted by an obviously Japanese inspired ghost (the type with ridiculously long black hair that covers the face, typical worn out white dress and a fricking terrifying set of blood-stained claws). Basically as soon as you and your bros enter the hospital, the whole party will be completely separated from one another, and you, as the leader, have to roam around the place, solving puzzles to rescue your bros and get the hell out of the hospital safely.

I thoroughly enjoyed that game and I thought the idea was pretty cool, from the ridiculously typical setting to the gameplay. It wasn't anything new, but I still believed they would definitely work out for me. Not because they have always worked, but also I thought this might be a good branch-out from our regular RPGs made with RPG Maker.

So I decided to go with that idea, alone, at first. Then Elements showed up, and was like:

<Elements> Dawg we should do something
<Elements> !
<EvilEagles> lol k sure

Aaaaaaannnnddd it started just like that. We started discussing our ideas and integrating them all together. And the more we discussed, the better I realized that even though I thought the original idea was cool enough to stand out, we could actually modify and add in quite a wide range of features, which is a very good thing!

So in the middle of the excitement as our ideas finally took their last shape, Elements asked me to consider doing custom graphics for the game. To be frank, I chickened out at first, but then Elements brought up Ao Oni's example (which is a very good game actually), with a rather simplistic YET functional custom graphics. So I thought "okay what the hell let's do this shit! It's definitely worth a try".

Thus I started doing exactly it. Everything I started with wes pretty simple, but as I continued to make more graphics, they kept getting more and more detailed. Not to boast or anything, but I think I got a little too carried away and our graphics standard actually surpassed Ao Oni's, which is ANOTHER UNEXPECTEDLY GOOD THING!

So yeah, time flew as we worked. Though, we lost a little bit focus when the extension happened, and like Elements said above, we got a little cocky and had to pay back by spending a good majority of our time during the last 4 days just to make up for slacking off, or rather, not working hard enough before that lol. In those last 4 days, my daily schedule was absolutely nothing but GAM MAK - EAT - POWER NAP - GAM MAK - EAT - POWER NAP.

And STILL it wasn't even nearly enough! There were still like a shit tons of features I wanted to add in but couldn't because of the time limit. So we decided to roll with the most basic features we came up with on the very first day. And despite that, we barely made it in time before the deadline closed in.

In conclusion though, this was in fact a very interesting journey. I was exposed to new and exciting ideas which the old me was never able to see, I had a chance to learn more about serious things that happen in real life, and more importantly, I was pushed to break my own limitations which I've gloriously done. And because of these facts, I am willing and ready to continue with Sayako and make it a remarkable game with everything I and Elements have planned. So don't think for two seconds that everything is complete and over, because the Sayako tragedy has only just begun. Stay tuned!

K reserving this spot for future needs lolol~

Edit: wtf RyanA you ninja'd me .-. what's your problem man???

RyanA likes this

K reserving this spot for future needs lolol~

Edit: wtf RyanA you ninja'd me .-. what's your problem man???

;3

EvilEagles likes this

Dawgs you guys are bastards. I'm not yet done playing.

· THAT TITLE SCREEN AND THAT MUSIC

· Some punctuation errors

· Wayne is throwing his body at everything

· Why is there so much scrolling in the entries WHYYY

· Nice Music btw

· He’s (Wayne) the only English guy?

· The showing thing was good in the beginning but then infodump. It’s like shortcutted.

· Nice work visually :D

· Too much talking ;_;

· He’s wearing an axe lololol.

· The music is so creepy

· Too much “…”

· Too much talking

· Able to walk during a cutscene

· More scrolling text, but I really recommend ditching the narration and make it more later! Right now it’s very infodump!

· It’s really creepy good job.

· Holy mother of g- she’s chasing me

· Ok I’m safe now to go back

· OMFG SHE’S NOW CHASING ME AGAIN EVERYWHERE.

· Whoa she’s appearing everywhere

· Shorter scenes would benefit this game more <_<;

· Ok I got the number

· FUCK SHE’S BEHIND ME AND THERE ON THE ENTRANCE.

· HOW DO I GET OUT?!?!

· Stamina drains too fast ;_;

· I’m in this cramped room and I’m afraid she’ll appear behind me again and buttrape me. <_< SAVEEE

· HOLYSHIT SHEAPPEARED BEHIND ME WHILE IWASOPENINGADOORAAAAAAAAA

EvilEagles and Des like this

dat feel when megabro elements doesnt work with megabro crim ;_;

Dawg we've had an idea planned together since march ;~;

@Nessiah:

Thanks for the feedback so far!

it will all be taken into account for future fixes, as we've said , this was really rushed just to make it in time for the deadline lolol.

@Nessiah: roflmao

We're quite aware of the existing issues actually, it's just, yeah like Elements dawg said, it was very rushed, so please forgive us and wait patiently for our next appearance ;-;

Also, it's more like Yuri and Sayako are the only two Japanese in this game. You'll see~

Finally It's here !!! Anyway I'm bad with horror, who will play with me ? ;____________;

EvilEagles likes this

Finally It's here !!! Anyway I'm bad with horror, who will play with me ? ;____________;

Let's Play it like pewdiepie does XD that way you won't feel like playing alone.

@Nessiah: roflmao

We're quite aware of the existing issues actually, it's just, yeah like Elements dawg said, it was very rushed, so please forgive us and wait patiently for our next appearance ;-;

Yeah many things were rushed to meet the deadline ;~;

There were so many things we had to cut down too lol, mainly exploration wise.

Taking care of all the info dump,along improved pacing and more rewarding exploration is are some of the things among the top priorities. (just some, there are manyyyy things to fix lol, so all feedback is welcome)

So far we have 108 downloads. I hope Sayako scared at least a few :D

I'm afraid that I'm one of those scaredy cats ;w; It's great :3

Here are a few Sayako fun comics courtesy of Archeia_Nessiah. Apparently revolving around Wayne's romance with doors hahahaha.

WARNING: LARGE IMAGES.

TsukmxC.jpg
2hPwRui.jpg
anmdoN6.jpg
rZFuhSK.jpg
jMTiQtD.jpg
uS1HX22.jpg
80L1UBY.jpg
G81BiTP.jpg
g2C2z1s.jpg
SsMWoQ2.jpg
PASjvgs.jpg
9SOU56r.jpg
Zj5eGa1.jpg
0UjjGLW.jpg

m9542Ti.jpg

RyanA and Elements like this

Goddamnit, a horror game I wanna give a shot outta something other than schadenfreude or morbid curiosity and the download link's just been taken down.

Despair.

e: I am completely unstoppable and have got a hold of it anyway. Further bulletins as events warrant.