Photo

Getting Event Graphic to "disappear"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 BlackMaskProductions CEO

BlackMaskProductions CEO

The Artisan of Graphics and Sounds

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

Hello RPGM community! I have an easy one for you guys today: Getting right to the point: I have an event for an "actor" to join my party member, but I'm having trouble getting the event graphic (of my actor) to "disappear" after he/she joins the party. Do I need to use a switch? I doubt that will work, since I've done this same exact function for a game (which I deleted... regrets...) and had no problems figuring it out. Now that I'm working on a new game, that information seems to elude me at the moment. I know it's something "so simple" that I'm missing, to be honest I'm kinda embarrassed because I've done this before... Any help from you guys would be awesome... Thank you :)

a29fs3.jpg

#2 BigEd781

BigEd781

undefined method 'stupid_title' found for nil:NilClass

• Admin
  • 942 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

Moved to from Tutorials to General Support.

As for your question, yes; you use a switch to change the event to a page with no graphic (a page that is > the page with the graphic as higher number pages take priority.)
- Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb.

While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to.

profile for Ed S. on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

#3 BlackMaskProductions CEO

BlackMaskProductions CEO

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

Thank you BigEd781... I appreciate the instant reply :) Sorry about placing this thread in the wrong category...

a29fs3.jpg

#4 BigEd781

BigEd781

• Admin
  • 942 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

No problem. Solved then?
- Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb.

While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to.

profile for Ed S. on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

#5 BlackMaskProductions CEO

BlackMaskProductions CEO

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

No... Not really. Been busting my brain trying ways around it (at least thats what I think I'm doing) I think what I did last time was use "erase event", but when you leave the scene and then return the event graphic is still there. I can't figure it out. I even made another event page within the event (without graphic) and still had the graphic. Was hoping you could post "exactly" how to perform this procedure. This problem can be remedied without a need for a script I'm hoping...

a29fs3.jpg

#6 BigEd781

BigEd781

• Admin
  • 942 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

Ok, so assuming page 1 has the graphic, make a second page (page 2) and set the trigger to self switch X ("X" is a number to be determined by you). No graphic, under player. When the event completes, turn on switch X and, viola; the event is, for all intents and purposes, gone.

As an aside, if the event with the character graphic is also the event which coordinates the cut scene, then you can use a self switch.

#7 BlackMaskProductions CEO

BlackMaskProductions CEO

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

It doesn't matter what the value for "X" is right? I mean I can just use self switch 1 and this event should function the way I need it to, correct?

a29fs3.jpg

#8 Tsukihime

Tsukihime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 5,783 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

No it doesn't matter which self switch you use.
My Scripts. Go here for Bugs and Requests.
Want to write a tutorial? Submit a community tutorial!

himeworks011.png

Like on Facebook: HimeWorks
Follow me on Twitter for the latest updates! @HimeWorks

#9 BigEd781

BigEd781

• Admin
  • 942 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

But you can only use a self switch if the character event is the same event which is coordinating the cut scene.If it is another event then you must use a global switch.

#10 Tsukihime

Tsukihime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 5,783 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

But you can only use a self switch if the character event is the same event which is coordinating the cut scene.If it is another event then you must use a global switch.

But of course if BlackMask is ambitious, self-switches are stored globally as well in $game_self_switches so it's just a matter of making a script call and hashing the map ID, event ID, and self-switch ID.

Edited by Tsukihime, 29 September 2012 - 01:49 PM.

himeworks011.png

#11 BigEd781

BigEd781

• Admin
  • 942 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

I am of the opinion that modifying self switches from outside of an event in almost all cases (there exists at least one valid use case that I know of) is a bad idea. Use them as intended. If you're setting self switches from outside of an event then you should really be using a global switch, that's what they're there for.

#12 Dagny

Dagny

• Banned
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

LEARN HOW TO USE SWITCHES

finalbossblues.com podcasts, tutorials, articles

#13 Tsukihime

Tsukihime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 5,783 posts

User's Awards

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

I am of the opinion that modifying self switches from outside of an event in almost all cases (there exists at least one valid use case that I know of) is a bad idea. Use them as intended. If you're setting self switches from outside of an event then you should really be using a global switch, that's what they're there for.

How were they intended to be used?

I think of self-switches as public instance variables. They are relevant only within the scope of the event, and external objects could tell the event to turn on a switch. Since events do not exist if the map they are in is not loaded, the only other way to talk to an event is to leave a message and have it pick it up when it's ready.

I don't think it is unreasonable to send an e-mail to a particular contact (self-switch) without having to post the e-mail on a public bulletin board (global switch).

Edited by Tsukihime, 29 September 2012 - 03:46 PM.

himeworks011.png

#14 Celianna

Celianna

VX/Ace tileset artist

• Global Moderators
  • 6,906 posts

User's Awards

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:05 AM

Please keep discussion in the general discussion forum, this is for support.

new_logo_small_zpsae8f2402.png

~ * ~ Christmas sale ~ * ~

#15 BigEd781

BigEd781

• Admin
  • 942 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:28 AM

I think of self-switches as public instance variables.

But that's clearly not the design as you cannot change them from another event (without modifying them directly via a script). Think of them as *private* instance variables. Otherwise what's the point? May as well just add 4 times as many global switches.

#16 BlackMaskProductions CEO

BlackMaskProductions CEO

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

Wow... I have no idea what you two are debating about. Control self switch? Global switch? huh??? Seems like I got A LOT to look at moving forward (as far as switches are concerned...) BTW BigEd781, I figured out how to implement the control switch... What you need to do is have the graphic set on event page 1 with a control switch (does not matter what # switch you choose... Did the research already) at the bottom of the page, create a new event page (#2) and make sure to add that same control switch (for my event, I used switch 2, but you can use ANY number... I'm assuming they are numbered to lower confusion for multiply switch applications...) and MAKE SURE THERE IS NO GRAPHIC for "graphic window" in event page #2... Interrupting my own post, I forgot to add this tidbit; *THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT:* In the condition window, (on event page 2) make sure the corresponding control switch box is "checked"... This event will not execute right if it's not checked. Set graphic to "none" (but it should already be blank since it's a new event page)... BAM!!! When you get to that event, it will transition as planned; The NPC will join your party, and the event "graphic" will be "no more" after the event is finished running. I want to thank you sir (BigEd781) for having patience and being professional in helping me out with such a "simple" event function. I also appreciate the link for switch controls from amanda... Nice job people!!!

a29fs3.jpg

#17 Mouser

Mouser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

I think of self-switches as public instance variables. They are relevant only within the scope of the event, and external objects could tell the event to turn on a switch. Since events do not exist if the map they are in is not loaded, the only other way to talk to an event is to leave a message and have it pick it up when it's ready.

I don't think it is unreasonable to send an e-mail to a particular contact (self-switch) without having to post the e-mail on a public bulletin board (global switch).

They are only accessible outside the event that owns them because EB broke with standard programming design and threw everything into global variables. If they had stuck with the object oriented approach, you simply would not be able to access their self switches. They did it that way (as far as I can tell) to facilitate saving and loading the game while retaining all the self switch states.

@Blackmask - the thing to remember, in RM events are the main objects, not mobs. So an "NPC" is merely a graphic attached to an event page. Turn the page, and you can change the graphic - or make it disappear (which does not free the event, incidentally: it's still there, hanging around). You can have a conversation involving a dozen "people" all taking place in the context of a single event page, with the different graphics attached to each "Show Text" command.

Banner.png

Get it HERE.

"The multitudes see death as tragic. If this were true, so then would be birth"

- Pisha, VtM:Bloodlines

#18 BlackMaskProductions CEO

BlackMaskProductions CEO

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

@Blackmask - the thing to remember, in RM events are the main objects, not mobs. So an "NPC" is merely a graphic attached to an event page. Turn the page, and you can change the graphic - or make it disappear (which does not free the event, incidentally: it's still there, hanging around). You can have a conversation involving a dozen "people" all taking place in the context of a single event page, with the different graphics attached to each "Show Text" command.

I saw that Mouser... I went back to where I had put the event and sure enough, there was an invisible wall... In the same exact spot I had the event earlier... I'm pretty sure that's going to be "another headache" trying to remedy that problem... :(

Edited by BlackMaskProductions CEO, 30 September 2012 - 11:06 AM.

a29fs3.jpg

#19 Yato

Yato

(aka Racheal)

• Early Adopter
  • 540 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

I saw that Mouser... I went back to where I had put the event and sure enough, there was an invisible wall... In the same exact spot I had the event earlier... I'm pretty sure that's going to be "another headache" trying to remedy that problem... :(

Not really. Just make sure the blank page of the event is set to "through." This will make it so any event can pass through it.

sig-HB.png HFbar.png

Spoiler

#20 Celianna

Celianna

VX/Ace tileset artist

• Global Moderators
  • 6,906 posts

User's Awards

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

Well, that's a question for another thread, closing this now.

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

new_logo_small_zpsae8f2402.png

~ * ~ Christmas sale ~ * ~