Lunarea

Steampunk Tiles

166 posts in this topic

steampunk_support.png

Yay.png
Disclaimer: These tiles are not formatted as tilesets. They are meant for Parallax Mapping! Do not ask us to turn them into tilesets.
You are encouraged to browse through the tutorial forums to see what Parallax mapping is, as well as use any bits and pieces of the tiles to construct your own sets.

Screenshots:
Steampunk-MapEX-1.png

steampunk_examplemap.png

Steampunk is a fascinating style that mixes steam-powered technology with an elaborate Victorian lifestyle. It is a mix of lace, wood and metal, all packed neatly in a boxful of gears, nuts and bolts. There are very few Steampunk resources out there, so Celianna and Lunarea banded together to bring you the following amazingly large variety of tiles.

This work was a collaborative effort between the two of us and it contains mostly custom pieces. You must credit both authors, as well as any other sources noted at the bottom of the page.

---

Terms of Service:
Free for use in non-commercial projects made with RPG Maker. You may edit them for your personal use. Do not re-distribute original tiles elsewhere.
License for use in commercial projects made with RPG Maker VX/Ace is not available. Do not contact us about commercial licensing.

---
RTP contains 2 smoke events: !Flame (above the cold campfire) and !Other2. They are very useful for pipes and steam.

And now, onto the sets!
Roofs, walls and floors:

steampunk_celuna_set_01a.png
steampunk_celuna_set_01bb.png

Windows, doors, stairs and railings:

steampunk_celuna_set_02a.png
steampunk_celuna_set_02b.png
steampunk_celuna_set_08.png

Gears, pipes and town decorations:

steampunk_celuna_set_03a.png
steampunk_celuna_set_03b.png
steampunk_celuna_set_03c.png

Miscellaneous:

steampunk_celuna_set_04.png

Flowing water (canals):
Please note that the streaming water must be parallaxed, it is not an autotile. It consists of 4 frames to make it run smooth, so please us it in conjunction with Modern Algebra's Animated Parallax script. Also take note that the water is streaming in one direction, and you have to be careful of which pieces fit into which. Here's an example with red arrows indicating in which direction the water is flowing. You can not match up pieces with opposite arrows.

steampunk_celuna_set_05a.png
steampunk_celuna_set_05b.png
steampunk_celuna_set_05c.png
steampunk_celuna_set_05d.png

Machinery:

steampunk_celuna_set_06a.png
steampunk_celuna_set_06b.png

Preset houses:

steampunk_celuna_set_07a.png
steampunk_celuna_set_07b.png
steampunk_celuna_set_07c.png

Inner Tiles

TeenyEx.png

Example_InnerS-1.png

Walls, Floors, Stairs, and Windows:

steampunk_celuna_set_08a.png
steampunk_celuna_set_08b.png

Furniture and Decorations:

steampunk_celuna_set_09a.png
steampunk_celuna_set_09b.png
steampunk_celuna_set_09c.png

Presets:

steampunk_celuna_set_10.png

Credits:
- Celianna
- Lunarea
- Enterbrain (Default VX RTP)

Do not redistribute or repost these tiles on other forums! If you want to share the resources, you may link this thread.

Hi,

Thank you very much these tiles are really nice!

I've a really dumb question but in your "term of service" you did not say if it's okay to edit your tiles ?

Added to the terms of service.

You're welcome to edit the tiles for your personal use, but please don't redistribute the original tiles outside this forum. :)

WizzyT likes this

Absolutely stunning set of tiles, Its forcing me to consider switching to parallex mapping for the first time (Should be an interesting learning experience).

Very pretty tilesets. Are you working or considering working on new themes?

Very nice tiles! (they deserve their celebrity) Thanks Lunarea. ;-)

@Indinera:

Individually, there's a lot of thematic stuff we've done and are still working on. Another collaboration isn't out of the question, but we're both so busy that it might be hard to find a stretch of time when we can work on it. In the meantime, check out our individual resource threads. Cel's got some fantastic modern-day tiles that make me feel inspired. So, you may see some modern-day resources from me as well.

@Nemau:

Thanks to Celianna, too. I don't think this project would have been possible without both of us working on it. :)

@Indenera: as Lunarea already said, a collab isn't out of the question :D but right now we're working on our individual stuff - and we've got loads of tiles that all blend together quite nicely.

WizzyT likes this

Thanks for the specification. I'll be following closely what you two release. :)

These are awesome! I'll definetely put them to use eventually. Thanks for sharing!

These are truly beautiful works! If only there were more steampunk resources of this quality in the world! I would be in heaven~

You guys are SO amazing, such an inspiration! Will definitely want to use and credit!

Celianna and Lunarea, do plan to make some tutorials ?

I am quite interest to learn how to make tilesets like you do.

@Chaos17: Well, I've got this tutorial, and Lunarea has got this one. Other than that, it's just lots of experience with spriting, editing from the default tiles, and understanding how light works.

Zasian likes this

Awesome!

Thank you very much :lol:

awesome tiles on 2 awesome sites! lovely tiles both of you.

These are breathtakingly beautiful but the ones where a verticle roof meets a horizontal roof are not joined properly... The angle where they meet needs to be sharper becuase the angle of one roof meets another angle and they overlap... I myself designed a tilset that had horizontal and verticle roofs and made the same mistake...

roofang.jpg

021076046_sprd.jpg<- it can be seen here the sharper angle where they meet

Vs this which they just overlay

steampunk_celuna_set_07b.png

Edited by From_Ariel

I appreciate that you wanted to bring this to our attention. :)

However, the perspective in this style (and RTP style) is something that just doesn't exist in real life. The top-down perspective is a combination of seeing a full top (birdseye) and a full front side of objects. Because of this, angles behave differently and are more difficult to peg. In the end, we chose to go with the same style as RTP, Mack, etc - which uses the same angles in the front of the roof as it does in the joining piece. It's not a physical reality, but it is familiar and aesthetically pleasing.

You can see it clearer in this picture you just need to trace a line to the top ridge from the bottom

steampunk_celuna_set_07b.jpg

If I had access to more then paint I would have just made the edit softer and not as pixelated of a line but this is pretty close.

Edited by From_Ariel

Yes, I understood what you meant and I appreciate the heads up.

But as I said, top down perspective doesn't exist in real life. So we have a little bit of leeway on how we handle perspective.

I'm not too concerned if an angle is a little off. If it were a jarringly bad thing and something that could potentially ruin the whole set and make it unusable, I'd be fixing it in a flash. Since you're the first person to bring it up, I don't get the feeling that's the case here. So, unless it's super duper imperative to everyone to shave off a few pixels off the side, I'll leave that part to the people using the set. :)

I updated the image above but it doesnt hv soft edges due to being paint...

Being that it is a parallax tileset and it's such an easy fix with any graphics program. I don't see any need to fix the set itself. The pre-made buildings might be able to use a touch-up, but if anyone is able to use these sets, they'd be able to make the roofs work themselves too.

And as someone who has done roofing and construction most of his life, there are plenty of structural impossibilities in every map and tileset I've seen (and used). While it's nice for things to look realistic, sometimes aesthetics matter more.

Also, the roof you used in the example would technically work, depending on the pitch of the front viewing roof. I have put roofs on where the gable didn't extend all the way to roof's edge. It happens when the main roof is a steeper pitch than the gable.

Lunarea likes this

Agreed tpasmall the change I made just adjusts it so the valley between the two angles of roof looks more seemless... technically there would prolly be a visible runner patching the two angles of tiles in the valley too but yeah not gonna mess with that in paint! lol!

I do alot of 3d rendering and my brain works in 3d so it's more noticable to myself then to others I guess.

Still the tilesets are very beautiful you have alot of skill this is just a suggestion for improvement I can find no flaws other then what I pointed out. You should be VERY proud it's great work!

Edited by From_Ariel