Jesse - PVGames

First Peek - Medieval Plague Bringers

37 posts in this topic

HodGulc.png

Although I might be going a bit slower than usual, I am progressing well with the Medieval Plague Bringers assets. Here you can see a couple of the pre-made houses (well, parts of them anyway); you can also see some of the trees, vines, and two of the ground decals. I did add a little bit of a fog overlay, but everything else is shown "as is". The color saturation on this pack will be a bit lower than the other packs to help reflect the theme. 

That house has a certain charm to it I guess? Time for those Dark Souls Poison Levels of Hell.

The Stranger likes this

Awesome! Been looking forward to seeing an update. I'm also 100% on board with more pre-made buildings. I feel like the auto-tiles, as well made as they are, just don't fit with the aesthetic of the rest of the packs. Their perspective doesn't match the pre-made buildings either. I will gladly throw $100 at you just to release a boatload of buildings in the future. Lmao. 

Edited by PsychicToaster

Degica needs to hurry up. At this point I'd buy the packs at twice their price if it meant getting them directly from Jesse and not having to wait.

Edited by PsychicToaster
The Stranger and wolfpak692 like this

@PsychicToaster, i agree... i would pay more to get them direct than have to wait while they release stuff i don't really want/need/like...

Edited by wolfpak692

I get that they don't want to create a disparity between different artistic styles of resource releases, but at the rate they put things up for sale, there's not a lot of sense in working on anything major for awhile. Especially not when you'll end up changing all of the maps you make between now and when this great series is fully realized.

At least LeTBS is getting updates fairly regularly. That is one of the major components I needed for my project and I'll be sure to send Lecode some support on Patreon at some point lol. 

Let's just relish the moment and enjoy the screenshot above and the ones to come.

Edited by PsychicToaster
The Stranger likes this

Looks pretty good. I really like those shanty looking buildings, like something you could find in the middle of the woods.

A quick question, are the clothing items in Plague going to be compatible with the xbow/gun animations from the warfare/templar pack?

Will we get a plagued\undead character template so we can make undead characters using the parts from other packs? Not asking for a full on rotten zombie character template. Just someone who looks unhealthy - sunken eyes, cheeks, etc.

I am a huge fan of these pre-made structures. Even though the large settlements in my world aren't made up of individual buildings (they're enormous hive spires linked by sprawling underground complexes) I am using the individual structures for remote outposts, tiny settlements, etc. I am so excited to see news on this pack - along with the dungeons pack, this is one of the main packs I need for my project.

@PsychicToaster I'm right there with you, mate. I haven't bothered with my project in a while because I simply don't have the resources needed for it. There's only so much planning and writing you can do. Fair enough, I'm still world building and writing up database related things, but I want to start some real work on the game.

Edited by The Stranger
BloodletterQ likes this

I'm thinking of just remaking my game with the appropriate graphics once we have a more complete selection.

The Stranger likes this

@BloodletterQ Depends on how far you've got in your game, but I agree with you. You can keep working on your game in other ways (story, characters, setting, database, etc) but I wouldn't sacrifice graphical resources, which you know will be out sooner or later, just because they aren't out right now. I tried starting my project in the chibi style. Yeah, that didn't work. I hated how it looked almost instantly, and it felt like it detracted from the setting and story I had crafted.

PsychicToaster likes this

1 hour ago, BloodletterQ said:

I'm thinking of just remaking my game with the appropriate graphics once we have a more complete selection.

I'm actually edging of something similar but running both games at once rather than remake.

Basically both will be the same bar the graphics, I'll be working on the game with PV too (the release version) at the same time.  That way I'll have everything sorted and ready and only really have to move events around and tweak art etc.. for the PV version but everything else will be there for me.

Plague Bringers look great and I can't wait to get my hands on it.  Good stuff Jesse

These all look great. Can't wait to see more. Maybe a new screen shot each week? :)

+1 to nice pre-made buildings

+1 to premade characters

+1 for the ability to use parts from other packs on the undead body parts.

The Stranger likes this

5 hours ago, The Stranger said:

@BloodletterQ Depends on how far you've got in your game, but I agree with you. You can keep working on your game in other ways (story, characters, setting, database, etc) but I wouldn't sacrifice graphical resources, which you know will be out sooner or later, just because they aren't out right now. I tried starting my project in the chibi style. Yeah, that didn't work. I hated how it looked almost instantly, and it felt like it detracted from the setting and story I had crafted.

I made a huge design document, and I've done exactly this. The only thing I'm not doing are in-game locations. Once I have the full suite of resources, I'll determine how many I can make without too much repetition and how they'll look based on all of those available assets. But everything else I can work on. UI design, characters, story, gameplay mechanics, weapons, armor, and so on.

The Stranger likes this

There are still other elements you can work on and design. Your battle system for example.

jjfOWDn.png

New ground decal at work here (stoney pathway, though can be used for other things as well), the trees and other ground textures have been tweaked so that the ground itself has less contrast and the trees have a little more contrast so they stand out a bit more. Can see a new building here, one of many, and a handful of smaller objects I whipped up thus far. No character pieces to show off yet, haven't gotten to those.

What I am thinking in terms of build-your-own undead is to have a couple of options. It is not too difficult to add overlays for regular human characters that add things like pox marks and other signs of illnesses, so I will add those (and the new character templates will be focused more around sickly or at least "tired"/"older" character types). I was thinking of also adding one of two things: a skeleton template (I will have to experiment, I *might* be able to make this utilize all of the resources that human characters can use... I might not be able to, but I will certainly test this); if the skeleton template doesn't work I can add a custom skeleton template with custom skeleton accessories so you can build out your own skeletons - this would naturally have fewer options than the humans, but still, should be able to do something nifty. The other option is a build your own zombie - it would require a custom zombie template with custom zombie articles of clothing and accessories. I am more in favor of trying to create a skeleton template that works with all other human items and just including a handful of pre-made zombies - much easier this way. But we'll see how the testing goes and I will let you know when I know more.

@Jesse - PVGames That screenshot looks great.

Minor suggestion, but it might be easy for you; The leaves under the tree look great. Include a small animation of the leaves falling from the tree (first frame inline with some number of leaves on the tree) to the ground (last frame with the leaves on the ground in the same location). We can play this anim randomly, or when the player is under the tree. Little things like this add ambiance to an otherwise static world

Any of your options for skeletons/zombies sounds good. Personally, I dont necessary need extensive customization, but it would be nice to have some customization.  The ability to make some sort of unique skeleton/zombie would be great, for both NPC's and enemies.

The Stranger likes this

@Jesse - PVGames Awesome looking Mausoleum. I also really like the leaves on those trees. They add some colour to the image without sticking out like a sore thumb. I know this is probably obvious, but, will there be any coffins? :P

I'm all for the skeleton template. I mean, you don't need to create skeleton specific gear, just have the skeleton usable with your other character creation pieces. Sure, some clothes might look weird with it, but it's up to the dev to decide how they want their skeleton to look. Skeleton in the hooded habit so we can have undead priests? Yes please! :D

If you create the unhealthy\plagued stuff to use on the living human bases, then it will be very easy for people to create their own near-zombie characters. I'd be happy with a skeleton template and just an assortment of zombies; hopefully male and female zombies, if possible. The bald zombie (from previous packs) looked nice, and I do hope he makes a return, but creating the unconsecrated horde with nothing but grey bald blokes was a bit lifeless. :P 

Looking good. Looking VERY good. I'm looking forward to using the open grave and piled dirt in my project. The mausoleum and graveyard fence look amazing, too. Very impressed.

You sir, are a genius and I'm salivating over this. LOL. I haven't been a thorn in your side and suggested anything in a long time, but perhaps a rich/elite class themed pack later on? : P Then you can have fully fledged poor and rich areas of town. 

Edited by PsychicToaster
The Stranger and BloodletterQ like this

Slowly but surely. Looks promising. Hoping that if this pack has the mage stuff, we can see some of it. And I agree with PsychicToaster on an upper class pack. Interiors does this, but doesn't really have any upper class exterior items.

The Stranger likes this