Lunarea

The Calm And the Fury: Art Contest

62 posts in this topic

kikuta-Contest-Banner.png

Degica is proud to announce a brand new and exciting art contest, in collaboration with the acclaimed composer Hiroki Kikuta!

Hiroki Kikuta is the mastermind behind many of our favorite RPG soundtracks - including Secret of Mana, Soul Caliber V, Soukaigi, Koudelka, Shining Hearts, Shining Blade, Shining Ark,and Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky. His musical style can only be described as iconic and memorable. And we're beyond excited that Kikuta's compositions will soon be making their way to RPG Maker!

We are bringing two of Kikuta's albums to RPG Maker as DLC  and we want to give you a chance to be a big part of the new release.

The Calm and the Fury art contest is about giving a visual to Kikuta's melodies - so, if you're an artist, jump in and participate!

You can find all the details (including submission rules) right here. Make sure you check it out to hear sneak-peek samples of the new albums!

Good luck, and we can't wait to see all the ways you'll make your creativity shine.

Oh my God. Hiroki Kikuta!!! This man is my hero. Koudelka was and still is one of my biggest inspirations when it comes to personal creativity. It was so unique and dark and deliciously twisted with a truly original sound track that I still listen to today. Gah, sorry - fangirling out a bit over here~

Sweet! Too bad my art abilities make spaghetti thrown at the wall look like fine art, so I'll have to just watch this one. Hope to see some good entries!

mlogan, kaukusaki, Marsigne and 1 other like this

oh my I want to participate now XD

but in same time I'm stressed am I a enough good artist for give honor to the compositor of Secret of Mana?

Edited by nio kasgami
ALTERED STATE 🍕 likes this

I loved Atelier Escha & Logy's music! Oh man, should I try? Should I? The words alone give me ideas "The Cam and the Fury", but I should listen to the music, right? :D

It would be great if we could get these tracks on a loopable playlist or something like that, I'm listening to them for inspiration as I sketch but it's a little bit of a pain to stop every 5 minutes to hit play again XD

nio kasgami and Jhale M. like this

1 hour ago, Vexed said:

It would be great if we could get these tracks on a loopable playlist or something like that, I'm listening to them for inspiration as I sketch but it's a little bit of a pain to stop every 5 minutes to hit play again XD

I FEEL YA xD 

I was like : huh okay how I can focus if I have to push the replay button constantly XD?

Oh Lord all mighty, stretch time for me and help me with my chores so I can DO something for that contest!

mlogan and Pagerron like this

Upon reading this, fired up music from Secret of Mana.  YES!  Can't wait!

I know some games in which Hiroki made the music, and I know that some of them are melodic and, more importantly (for me, at least), guitar based.

So, with high expectation, I went and checked out the samples, but no sign of guitar in them... 

That Fury part of this release claims to have a " piercing and fast-paced journey", but quite honestly, those sample tracks you showed did not indicate this at all.

I know you can't put out the best tracks from the album to be sample tracks, but at least some parts of the better songs should be there (really, just a few seconds of them to show that there are some actually faster paced songs in it).

Or maybe I just have a different opinion on what is a "fast-paced" song, in which case it is simply a difference in taste only, I guess.

But I really feel disappointed about this, because of what I know about this sound composer.

Ohh, well, might as well blow my won prize on this regardless, I can't decide what to spend on it anyway, and it would be high time I use it up. :D

This will be in the store here too, not just on Steam, right? Riiiight? *-*

Jhale M. likes this

Seriously gorgeous music. Secret of Mana has been an inspiration for me more than once. I could listen to "Enchanted Meadow" from The Calm on loop for hours. I'm definitely more of the music type, but sometimes I make art for the funsies. We'll see if that happens. :D 

mlogan and Vexed like this

Competition on this contest is going to be fierce!  I'm intimidated.

mlogan likes this

8D Ahhh Secret of mana and Atelier Escha & Logy, I loved those games' music. I must do something for this one as tribute!

Participating even my art skill is horrible :P Good luck guys

aVpT3e6RM.png

I want to participate but no way am I good enough :P Instead of crying over it though I'm going to use this as inspiration to get even better, so next time I can participate. I'll just spectate this time around.

kaukusaki and Marsigne like this

I'm totally coming out of hiatus to submit an entry for this :D Hopefully I can get all 3 pieces done by the time limit. I love the soundtrack to Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3!

Those are good extracts of music!  They really inspire enough!  I might try touse one to get my mmmm err other work done faster!  (then jump IN)

1 hour ago, Oddball said:

I assume handdrawn pictures are not allowed? thats the only visual artistic thing im decent at

Maybe if scanned?!