bunnymaxwell

Error message CoGen DRM Help.

Question

Hello.

I downloaded the trial version of the RPG Maker VX Ace. From your homepage. I installed everything, by following the instructions on your site. But when I go to start the program, I get this.

419728_10150752096506425_562476424_11905599_1836280254_n.jpg

I tried, uninstalling the program, and reinstalling it, and did a system restore. But I still get this.

I would love to try your program, and most likely buy it, but if I can't even get the trial version going, I'm not gonna take a chance in buying.

I have Windows 7.

Can anyone please help me. I am totally lost on this ....

Thank you

From what I see I do have the dll ...

545722_10150762537236425_562476424_11949868_479159649_n.jpg

but I still get the same problem ... machines hate me I swear lol

I tried changing the program compatibility. But it still doesn't work ...

hmmm.png

Edited by bunnymaxwell
Halrod likes this

99 answers to this question

Did you run it as administrator?

By the way, I applaud you for posting a screenshot.

Most user's just say "It broke.. HELP!" but they don't post any type of error or error code. So I /clap for you :D

Additionally, did you change the install directory in any way?

While I didn't have to run it as admin, I had installed it to my hard drive (E:\) instead of my SSD (C:\).

If you installed it to the default directory of either C:\Program Files\Enterbrain\<etc> (for 32-bit) or C:\Program Files (x84)\Enterbrain\<etc> (for 64-bit), you will more likely than not NEED to run it as an administrator. Installing it to somewhere like C:\RPGMaker\ will usually sidestep the "run as admin" thing.

(edit: I run Win7 64-bit, for reference)

Edited by Kitsune Zeta

Tried it,.... I Still get the same thing :S

lol why thank you. I figured, it would be a lot easier to show, then talk about it :)

Additionally, did you change the install directory in any way?

While I didn't have to run it as admin, I had installed it to my hard drive (E:\) instead of my SSD (C:\).

If you installed it to the default directory of either C:\Program Files\Enterbrain\<etc> (for 32-bit) or C:\Program Files (x84)\Enterbrain\<etc> (for 64-bit), you will more likely than not NEED to run it as an administrator. Installing it to somewhere like C:\RPGMaker\ will usually sidestep the "run as admin" thing.

it saved under. C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterbrain\

Halrod likes this

Okay, first instinct is to try installing it to C:\RPGMaker as opposed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterbrain to see if that works.

if not, we'll need to bug Touchfuzzy or Nathaniel or someone over at Degica to help, since I'm out of ideas beyond that.

Wait wait, I know for VX you have to install the RTP. If Ace has something similar have you tried installing that?

Okay, first instinct is to try installing it to C:\RPGMaker as opposed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterbrain to see if that works.

if not, we'll need to bug Touchfuzzy or Nathaniel or someone over at Degica to help, since I'm out of ideas beyond that.

hmmm nope

It still doesn't work when I do that.

Wait wait, I know for VX you have to install the RTP. If Ace has something similar have you tried installing that?

Yep. in the instructions. Thats the first thing you Install

Yep. in the instructions. Thats the first thing you Install

Try to remove everything, reboot, reinstall.

Hey bunnymaxwell. Thanks for the screenshot. Looking into this now. Hang tight :)

Edit:

We think this may have to do with the DLL not being in the GAC (global Assembly Cache)

Would you be able to check your GAC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Assembly_Cache

%windir%\assembly\

and see if there is a CogenDRM.dll there ?

thanks!

Hey bunnymaxwell. Thanks for the screenshot. Looking into this now. Hang tight :)

Edit:

We think this may have to do with the DLL not being in the GAC (global Assembly Cache)

Would you be able to check your GAC

http://en.wikipedia...._Assembly_Cache

%windir%\assembly\

and see if there is a CogenDRM.dll there ?

thanks!

GAC???

where do i go to check this out?

GAC???

where do i go to check this out?

Windows Key+R and then type %windir%\assembly\ and press enter. Or navigate manually: C:\Windows\assembly Edited by Rapu

From what I see I do have the dll ...

545722_10150762537236425_562476424_11949868_479159649_n.jpg

but I still get the same problem ... machines hate me I swear lol

Edited by bunnymaxwell

I tried changing the program compatibility. But it still doesn't work ...

hmmm.png

still at a lost for this .... and its still not working.....

still at a lost for this .... and its still not working.....

Hi Bunny, we are still working on this. I just PMed you with a possible solution.

I too am having this problem. ive uninstalled multiple times, as well rebooted my computer. running on windows vista. i have the cogenDRM file on there, as bunnys picture showed. pplease help

I fixed this simply by uninstalling, reinstalling, and rebooting my PC.

I fixed this simply by uninstalling, reinstalling, and rebooting my PC.

tried that also a couple of times. but still doesn't work :(

i have this problem, too.

i would really like to buy vx ace (especially with the 48h 11$ discount, which past away now :-/) , but if i can't even test it...

i hope for a solution soon.

Edited by Roosta

I've done everything mentioned in this post to attempt to route the problem, but I'm still getting this same error message.

On my older laptop using Windows Vista, the trial runs fine, but on this newer rig, with all-around better specs and Windows 7, it always pops up the error message regardless of what I throw at it.

After researching a little, I found CoGenDRM.dll is distributed by Degica (the company serving as the medium for the distribution of all RPG maker products). Could it possibly mean the CoGenDRM is intentionally locking us out of the program or that the inability to read the CoGen is a shortcoming of the trial version?

Edit: I just bought the full version, and I am STILL having this problem....

Edited by Haze

This isn't a DRM issue, actually. The error is coming up before the software is making any checks for the validity of the software, or your license. In fact, if you remove the registry information regarding the license, the error comes up before you get a chance to input your software key again.

As I said before, I had this issue and all it took was an uninstall, reinstall (when I reinstalled, I reinstalled to a different directory), and reboot and it was working. This was after several hours of fricking around with the registry, the CoGenDRM.dll thing, and all that.

As I said before, I had this issue and all it took was an uninstall, reinstall (when I reinstalled, I reinstalled to a different directory), and reboot and it was working. This was after several hours of fricking around with the registry, the CoGenDRM.dll thing, and all that.

What directory/ with what OS?

Windows 7 64-bit

I uninstalled it from

C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterbrain\RMVXAce

and reinstalled to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterbrain\RMVX Ace

I just did it to see if it would make a new registry entry when I tried it again, it didn't but it did work after a reboot (but not before)

Edited by prexus