Photo

Title Screen

IGM Title Menu Screen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 scryptkiddy

scryptkiddy

Immoveable Object

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

Hey fellow Makers,

I'm newb still, going through the tutorials, so please be gentle in case this has already been asked...I searched, and didnt find anything.
Anyway, so I'm going through the IGM tutorials (by Kain), and I didn't find an example of making a Title Screen.I need some help. I'd like to know how to make a Title screen, then how to select different options on the Title screen, and lastly, how to transition from the Title screen to "Stage 1".

Some other thoughts.

1. How would I create a Title screen that "fades in", along with graphics, that move around, etc.?
2. How about a transition to a "story" where text, graphics, etc come and go from screen to screen until stage 1 loads?

Thanks!
SK

#2 Mako

Mako

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter+
  • 177 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

You would need to add a script, it (RPG Maker) does not do that out of the box. There was one sorta like that but the name escapes me, perhaps you can dig though the scripts. More then likely you will have to pay someone (or learn yourself) how to Ruby script. Hope this helps a little.

Support%20Us.png

#3 scryptkiddy

scryptkiddy

Immoveable Object

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

Kinda, I'm using IG Maker right now.

So the Title Screen can be done, but the #1 and #2 extra ideas not possible? Just trying to figure out how limited I am =)

#4 scryptkiddy

scryptkiddy

Immoveable Object

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

Anyway, I was going through the tutorial IGM games, they have the Title screen, Opening, then Stage 1 (look at the HD Shooter for instance). Just wondering if anyone has a tut, or could walk me through that.

Thanks!

SK

#5 valkill101

valkill101

Alien Mastermind

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

I've found a tutorial on how to do the title menu a while back, but it was all in Portuguese. It was in igmbrasil.com, I believe. I just used google translate to view it.

Check out my IGMC entry @: http://contest.rpgma...ame/view/id/381

#6 scryptkiddy

scryptkiddy

Immoveable Object

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Thanks valkill101, That link was pretty sweet... I did some searches in their tuts forums, and found one by a guy with a metroid avatar, it was decent after I translated it, but I think the instructions got a bit messed up in translation, haha. It was every other sentence that read really wierd when I tried to follow it, but I kinda managed... I think

Anyway, It got me going, I'm understanding more about the Menu Tab, thats for sure. If this was a 10 mile race to my finish line of making a working Title Screen, I was stuck at mile 1, and you got me to mile 5, so thanks!

In looking at the instructions though, he really left out some stuff like:

--Didn't say how to make a Working Menu (he did in the tut title obviously, but the instructions didn't work). I got a menu (I think, but it errors when I hit Play).
--Didn't say how to transition to another screen when a user selects something on the menu. He had a "press start" example, but I get errors from his instructions.
--Also didn't go over starting points, or what they are for, or what they do, because I thought you needed one in the Flow of the game to move from one screen to the next. I remembered that from reading Kain's tutorial XVI on Flows which has a bit on that, but I didn't seem to be able to modify the Flow like the tutorial to transition from: Main screen -->Stage 1 opening--> Stage 1 based on a user hitting the start button at the Main Screen, still errors....

Anyway, I'm really struggling here. The advise from everyone from reading the Getting started forums all said to "Start Small" before making my full game. Just trying to make a Title Screen and I can't do that, haha... Getting to be a bit discouraging though, so I'm looking for like a real helping hand to just get this going so I can learn IGM and hopefully be a substantial supporter / helper to others that need assistance in the future.

Anyone that has made a game had to make a "TItle Screen" that users hit a button to move to an "Opening Screen" to move to "stage 1"... Just need someone to walk me through how to do that please =)

SK

#7 valkill101

valkill101

Alien Mastermind

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

I own the original boxed AGM in Japanese before the official English release, but still have not manage to make anything remotely decent with it. So, I understand your dilemma. I've been following Kain's tutorials, but have been getting errors for the most part with the flying tutes and anything to do with menus as well. I'd like to see some more tutorials in the future and understand the difficulties that we must endure to get anything to work proper with this maker, but as long as we persevere we should be able to overcome these hurdles. I'm going to try my hand at the Menu and see what I can come up. If I'm lucky maybe I can start up some tutorials as well( barring any major hurdles of course).

Check out my IGMC entry @: http://contest.rpgma...ame/view/id/381

#8 scryptkiddy

scryptkiddy

Immoveable Object

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

I'm with ya, been at making a Title Screen for 10 days now... should take about 10 minutes though. I'm excited to learn this program, but its not very intuitive at all. Is the support and resources sparse for RMVX Ace as well? I mean, if you were to start using that program, how hard is it to make a Title Screen that goes to an opening then to game after a user hits start? Or better yet, is there a tutorial for it as well?

The funny thing...the answer is right in front of me. The sample games that can be downloaded for IGM have a Title Screen, Opening, then Stage 1 and I can see it in the FLOW tab (like the HD shooter bat game). I just dont know how it is done :headshake:

I'm still really hopeful that someone who has made an IGM game can simply post the instructions on how to do it.

SK

#9 Sidious Red

Sidious Red

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhkay, everything you want to do is easy, but you are very correct about IGM being counter-intuitive so don't feel bad :), ive been using IGM for 3 years now and it is difficult, but also flexible and powerful when you find your feet with it.

firstly you need to learn how the flow system works, basically you click the little star box on your title screen box (in the fow tab) and then drag it to your stage 1 box (the boxs represent your "levels"), then in the bottom of the screen you can set up the conditions for this trasition to occur (for example you could have it so that pessing A triggers the transfer, or it does it after a certain amount of time has passed). If you wanted a full-on menu you'd have to make one in the menus tab (menus are a pain in the ass tbh, they REALLY need to make a detailed tutorial on this). i wish i could quickly upload some screenshots to show you visually what i mean, but this forum kind of sucks for that :(

if my quick explation there does'nt cut it re-post and ill take my time and try to explain it a little better, maybe make a quick youtube video for you showing what i mean :)

#10 scryptkiddy

scryptkiddy

Immoveable Object

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Ahh, so I do need a menu (I'd like them to select either stage1 or stage2....etc.). I think there is a short tutorial on menus, I'll have to look, can't remember off top of my head. But one thing that caught my attention is that you said "drag it" to the stage 1, then make some conditions. That made sense, but honestly, I didn't know how to make another box (at the time of the first post).... I know, I know... gimme a sec to explain BD

The reason is, I tried to hit "create" on the canvas tab, thinking "hey, I need another screen / canvas." right? But the popup from clicking create gave me selections on game genre's : Shooter, Action RPG, Jumping Action, etc. So I'm thinking...okay, I don't want to create another game, just another screen, so I never selected one of the genre's... So I finally tried it today, and said what the hey, I'll do it. And it made another canvas, but it also made another tab (I think I clicked a different genre than what I had already made). So is that the way to create another canvas? and if so, why do I pick a genre when creating a canvas?

Anyway, thanks Sidious Red, I think I got it. Designing the title screen will be my next week long project, should be fun. I'm gonna try and do bg music, animations (if I can), or at least graphics that come fade into view, or something, maybe moving graphics like fog or clouds, whoot!

SK

#11 Kain Vinosec

Kain Vinosec

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 330 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Hey. Sorry I haven't been around. Looks like you guys got this though. Closing.