Photo

Fixed enemy positions?

SBS Enemies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Oriceles

Oriceles

Great Sage, Equal of Heaven

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

I have a ton of enemies in my database, around 300. And thinking about having to arrange every enemy on the editor for a SBS is killing me, because there will be around 600 enemy troop. So basically I'm requesting a script the will let me setup the position of the enemies with coordinates just like we can choose the position of the characters on any sbs script (somthing like):

Enemy_Positions:

0 => [492, 272], #1
1 => [544, 292], #2
2 => [486, 312], #3
3 => [536, 332], #4
4 => [490, 352], #5

The script will also need an array to exclude certain troops from having fixed positions. Can someone help me with this please?

#2 Victor Sant

Victor Sant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Placing enemies on troops is something that take a few seconds, so just because you don't want to spend 20-40 minutes doing this for all troops... you want a script?
Asking a script just because you're not in the mood of doing some hard work is the worst reason i ever saw to someone to ask a script.
You can do it, just don't want to.

Edited by Victor Sant, 12 January 2013 - 08:57 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Oriceles

Oriceles

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

And how I'm sure about every troop is placed correctly?, I tried to do a background with rules on photoshop to use on the troop tab, but since I use 640*480 resolution they sometimes don't match at all :/, that's the main reason, not only because I'm lazy to do that

Posted Image

Edited by oriceles, 12 January 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#4 Galv

Galv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 311 posts

User's Awards

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

I'd rather use the troop to position your enemies as what will you do if you have one big enemy you want in the middle? It will be positioned with a group of small enemies in mind. Different positions for each troop will also make the battles look different rather than all the same.

I recommend positioning them within the troop and then do a battle test to make sure they are in a cool face-off position with the party.
I use 640x480 screen size and position the troops, testing each time to make sure they look okay.

Edited by Galv, 12 January 2013 - 09:46 PM.

sig-kickstarter_zpsda2cb57e.png

gs-banner_zpsfc59b073.png blue_zps62eb9ce0.pngconstellation1_zps9e598b08.png

#5 Neon Black

Neon Black

The Classy Prostitute

• Member+
  • 678 posts

User's Awards

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

If you're using a script like Yanfly's core to resize the engine, it automatically centers troops in battle, so there would be a 48 pixel buffer on the left size (96 / 2) and a 32 pixel buffer on the top (64 / 2). If you are not, there would be no buffer zone at all. I'm absolutely clueless how fixed positions for enemies is easier than setting them up in the troops tab. Not only this, I feel it would look horrible since enemies would end up on top of each other and/or all over the place.

FYI, the time it would take to set up 300 monsters note tags would be longer than setting up 600 enemies troops, not counting the scripter's time to make the script.

Posted Image

#6 Oriceles

Oriceles

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Yes I'm using battle engine ace.
And I never metioned note tags, I tought about specify the coordinates on the script editor, see the OP.

Anyway that information about the buffer thing will be helpfull I'll check that.

#7 Neon Black

Neon Black

The Classy Prostitute

• Member+
  • 678 posts

User's Awards

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

I misread then. Wasn't quite sure where we were putting the positions.

I still stand by my placement issues. The reasons these work with actors is all actors are generally around the same size. Monsters do not tend to be. Aside from that, you'd be hard pressed to find a method of placement that allows you to place enemies in such a way that troops with less enemies don't seem barren or troops with taller enemies don't get their heads cut off by the top of the screen. Or troops with short enemies don't seem to far down. There's too many things to address, which is why using the troop tab is still a better solution.

#8 BigEd781

BigEd781

undefined method 'stupid_title' found for nil:NilClass

• Admin
  • 942 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.
- Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb.

While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers. If you can't yet write competently, learn to.

profile for Ed S. on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites