Photo

How do I use 2 tile tall sprites

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Soup

Soup

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

I've noticed in some games such as Star Stealing Prince, they used sprites that are two tiles high. How do I do this? I'm planning on making my own sprites, as well as using animated battlers. I'll be using Yanfly's battle engine so the sprites would need to display using that, unless someone has a better alternative battle system.

Also, when you're making a sprite, do you guys copy / paste them? Are there any good tutorials on sprite creation using GIMP and a graphics pen?

#2 Titanhex

Titanhex

Academy Headmaster

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

If you'll notice there's two tile high sprites in the RTP. Take Other and Gate for example.

All you have to do to use two tile high size is make sure the dimensions of the charsheet you're using are 512 height for an 8 character sheet. 256 for 1 character sheet.

Edited by Titanhex, 17 January 2013 - 01:57 PM.

Ace Academy: Practice Through Roleplay
Ace-Academy.gif

Come Join!

#3 Ronove

Ronove

♠ ♠ ♠

• Early Adopter
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Star Stealing Prince's sprites aren't two tile high (just like 12 pixels off from that!) standing at about 50 pixels high, 25 pixels width wise ( (technically, they are shorter and skinnier than that, but that size allows me to have enough space for poses etc) so the charaset size for those are 300x400 (whereas for default VXAce characters it's 384x256)).

When I make a sprite I usually do it in a different file and then when I get all the walking poses and all that done, I transfer it to a charaset sheet (copying and pasting it).

And as for tutorials, I have no idea. I usually just use a mouse when making sprites.

Projects:
SSPBanner.png banner.png HWSbanner.png eaG4i3c.png

#4 Soup

Soup

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for your help! Also, Ronove I really thought your game was amazing. Haven't beaten it yet, though. How did you do your lighting for the candles and such?

Anyway, so it sounds like I just need the image file to be the right size. So does that mean I can make a sprite any size basically? Where can I find the information like what sizes will work?

#5 Ronove

Ronove

♠ ♠ ♠

• Early Adopter
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

You have to be careful if your sprite is too big; if you have anything that is set to appear over the characters, if your sprites are too big, you'll run into problems (I think). It takes a lot of guessing and checking, but it's perfectly doable!

(And for the lighting: all pictures.)

Projects:

#6 Soup

Soup

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Well, the game I'm working on, the player is an alien captain who has a crew of various other alien species. So it might be useful to have, for example, 2 tile wide 1 tile tall sprites, like for a sentient octopus or something. I guess i'm wondering if there's some sort of guide for how to size your sprite sets so RPG maker can use it? How did you guys learn what will work and what won't?

#7 Ronove

Ronove

♠ ♠ ♠

• Early Adopter
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

I just learned by taking a guess and lots of testing. There might be a handy guide out there that I don't know about however.

Projects:

#8 Soup

Soup

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Okay thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

#9 Chrome

Chrome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

You can have the sprite as big as the screen as long as the sheet is perfectly 4 tiles high and 3 tiles wide.

example: default sprite is 32 x 32 so the sheet will be 96 x 128

So you can make a sprite that is 5 x 5 and the sheet will be 15 x 20

or sprite that is 100 x 100 and the sheet is 300 x 400. etc 

No need for trial and error 

#10 Soup

Soup

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Okay yeah - that's what I wanted to know. Thanks Chrome.

#11 Celianna

Celianna

VX/Ace tileset artist

• Global Moderators
  • 6,724 posts

User's Awards

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

new_logo_small_zpsae8f2402.png
A new dungeon-themed tileset in the works.