Photo

Let's play RPG maker games!

rpg maker lets play lets play games MISTER BIG T Drbigt

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 MISTER BIG T

MISTER BIG T

King of Sadism

• Members
  • 602 posts

User's Awards

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

Originally, I started playing and showcasing Destiny's Call and several other games but then began to move on to play more games. I'm still quite new at the LP area but I'm constantly seeking to improve on my videos. At the time being, I'm releasing a new video every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Here's the RPGMaker games I've played/am playing for now.

Let's play BETA

Let's Play Destiny's Call

Let's play Final Phantasy XXX 2

If you wish to request a LP, you can PM me, leave a comment or contact me by mail or any of these sites or the Youtube account.

Edited by MISTER BIG T, 15 April 2013 - 02:59 PM.

bigg.jpg

Shadow, my first game I ever made in 2001 is finally released to public here!

And that's when I decided to become a barber.

@drbigt

#2 MISTER BIG T

MISTER BIG T

King of Sadism

• Members
  • 602 posts

User's Awards

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Thanks to updating to Windows 8, I can now produce bigger resolution videos (Windows 7 had weird flicker and such when I tried to go bigger). This means the quality upscaled by a ton.

Episode 2

Edited by MISTER BIG T, 14 February 2013 - 08:58 AM.

bigg.jpg

@drbigt

#3 sabao

sabao

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

This looks like an older version of Destiny's Call. Do you have the Destiny's Call: Complete version? I mean that version was, well, complete. This early build is really a poor showing of what the project as a whole accomplished.

sig_mariel.jpg

#4 Dagny

Dagny

• Banned
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

yeah man this isn't the destiny's call i remember. destiny's call: complete was incredible

also is that your real voice. totally was not expecting that accent from you  :|

Edited by mumbo jumbo, 28 January 2013 - 12:16 AM.

finalbossblues.com podcasts, tutorials, articles

#5 Gomi Boy

Gomi Boy

• Banned
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

cool i love games made in alpaca maker

e: Realtalk, I've never even heard of this before so I'd be interested in hearing how this is influential. There doesn't seem to be a lot of that in your commentary just yet, though.

Like, that could be something to talk about instead of just reading all the text on the screen. I already know what the text on the screen is.

Edited by Gomi Boy, 28 January 2013 - 12:41 AM.

;d

#6 sabao

sabao

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

cool i love games made in alpaca maker

e: Realtalk, I've never even heard of this before so I'd be interested in hearing how this is influential. There doesn't seem to be a lot of that in your commentary just yet, though.

Like, that could be something to talk about instead of just reading all the text on the screen. I already know what the text on the screen is.

DCC was a community game (rpg2knet.com)/parody RPG made by LinoG. It was basically a teenage LinoG and his friends being ripped away from their world, and into a medieval fantasy world where they're supposed to fulfill their roles of becoming legendary heroes. The rest of the story pokes fun at the several tropes of the genre, with a lot of crude humor sprinkled around.

Graphically, DCC may have been top-notch for its time. Writing was amusing, but that was when I was 13, which was more or less 12 years ago. Most of it now may seem juvenile. I think Final Fallacy was a smarter approach to parody, but it's been a while and I can barely remember.

The gameplay left the biggest impression on me. Its Hunger/Thirst/Horny/Poop system was the only one of its kind in an RM2k game as far as I remember, and it was a welcome addition. Watching over LinoG's 'needs' was sort of an added challenge, especially when you're deep in a dungeon and looking for a place to take a dump. The CMS worked, and was more than an aesthetic upgrade in that it sported features the normal menu couldn't. This was huge at the time, considering RM2k did not have RGSS yet.

Anyway, here are two contrasting views/let's plays on the game:

The narration on the first one hurts my ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTnyMCMmSAE

http://www.ustream.t...corded/11962367

Edited by sabao, 28 January 2013 - 02:40 AM.

sig_mariel.jpg

#7 Gomi Boy

Gomi Boy

• Banned
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:15 AM

None of this sounds particularly good to me, but maybe the times were different? I'll wait and see.

;d

#8 sabao

sabao

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

I'll go with the times were different. In retrospect, it wasn't 'OMGWOW', but it did leave an impression. Still, if you're doing a Let's Play of the game, at least let it be the final build.

sig_mariel.jpg

#9 MISTER BIG T

MISTER BIG T

King of Sadism

• Members
  • 602 posts

User's Awards

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

Episode 3

This looks like an older version of Destiny's Call. Do you have the Destiny's Call: Complete version? I mean that version was, well, complete. This early build is really a poor showing of what the project as a whole accomplished.

I have Destiny's Call Complete but it's not only shorter, it's less funny and tried too hard. (Did the game ever seriously need Seasons in it? Same with the ass, eat and such meters that didn't contribute to the story nor the gameplay and was added in just for the sake of adding in extra shit) Honestly, I was disappointed with in it almost every single way, especially how the Evil one was now no longer even so menacing but rather had to resort to using Kefka to do his bidding. Plus, I wanted to share especially this version since it's what I think of when I think of Destiny's Call, not the Complete version. I may make of the Complete version too some day, but it would barely matter since you can beat it in like less than 20 minutes and all the stuff that was added into it, don't really add anything to it. Honestly, this version could have used polish but the entire revision was totally unnecessary and butchered many of the great things, especially the story of the mayor cutscene is many times worse in the complete version, plus it ends before you even reach the tower of the witch! It just tried too hard and it offers far less and the humor is far less funny.

I remember when I played the Destiny's Call Complete when it came out, I immediattely kept thinking "The Demo did this better, the demo did that better" and so on and forth.  You can say many things about Destiny's Call Complete but ironically, it was less complete than the demo. This isn't uncommon among RPGmaker games for instance, Ill Natured 2 demo was better than Ill Natured 2 chapter 1 and lasted far longer. It's when the maker starts to try too hard when the game turns to eternal project and starts lacking in the basics that made the demo work to begin with.

yeah man this isn't the destiny's call i remember. destiny's call: complete was incredible

also is that your real voice. totally was not expecting that accent from you  :|

It is my real voice, yeah.

None of this sounds particularly good to me, but maybe the times were different? I'll wait and see.

It was one of the first games made on the RPGMaker (Destiny's Call demo) and it was the first game done that broke from the formula of the regular rpg games of giving totally different sorts of characters, plot, and much more mature themes than the kid friendly stuff that was around at the time. You could also make decisions and things that would change outcome of the game, such as killing the mayor and such. It also had night/day transitions and despite some outdated graphics, the cutscenes and many other elements of the game are very solid and contain lots of niceness. (Especially the Evil One's castle, which you'll see in few episodes) It also had very much custom and unique graphics, much more original stuff than any RPGmaker game at the time. Keep in mind this was done in like 2000 october or so, back before there was even a helpfile function in the RPGmaker.

Edited by MISTER BIG T, 28 January 2013 - 05:17 AM.

bigg.jpg

@drbigt

#10 sabao

sabao

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

I really wouldn't have given merits to Destiny's Call for its writing, but to each their own. I personally preferred the Complete version, as it aspired to become more than most RM games were at the time.

sig_mariel.jpg

#11 MISTER BIG T

MISTER BIG T

King of Sadism

• Members
  • 602 posts

User's Awards

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:06 AM

I really wouldn't have given merits to Destiny's Call for its writing, but to each their own. I personally preferred the Complete version, as it aspired to become more than most RM games were at the time.

It doesn't hold up against the demo to be honest, it's like Disney old vs Disney new, better visuals but worse content. 

Edited by MISTER BIG T, 31 January 2013 - 05:06 AM.

bigg.jpg

@drbigt

#12 sabao

sabao

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

It doesn't hold up against the demo to be honest, it's like Disney old vs Disney new, better visuals but worse content. 

I'm not sure which 'new' Disney movies you've been watching, but okay. It seems we're looking at different things. My stand is DCC provided custom gameplay elements, something very rarely seen at the time. Your idea of content seems to be that the older version had a longer playable story. I'll concede that both are vital elements to content, but personally while it had its high points, I never really considered the writing all that remarkable. 

Edited by sabao, 31 January 2013 - 07:32 AM.

sig_mariel.jpg

#13 MISTER BIG T

MISTER BIG T

King of Sadism

• Members
  • 602 posts

User's Awards

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

I'm not sure which 'new' Disney movies you've been watching, but okay. It seems we're looking at different things. My stand is DCC provided custom gameplay elements, something very rarely seen at the time. Your idea of content seems to be that the older version had a longer playable story. I'll concede that both are vital elements to content, but personally while it had its high points, I never really considered the writing all that remarkable. 

Princess and Frog was okay but it wasn't nearly up to the other movies. Same goes with pretty much everything Disney's done in the past 10 or so years, they have better visuals but just don't have the same charm as the classics, minus Pixar animations which I don't really count as traditional Disney movies anyway. I can play DCC after being done with this and not having any other projects but honestly, it's got less gameplay and less story and it's a lot less climatic. (Dracula is there for absolute no reason at all and the Dark Knight is replaced too, the entire mayor cutscene is far less good and so is many other elements, such as the genius way of switching the angle of the shot in the cutscene battle against armor guy, something that is both extremely epic as well as making the cutscene far better) The custom elements didn't add anything to anything (Skipping or playing Castlevania minigame does not impact the outcome of the battle against Dracula, killing the mayor you still need to go and fight Dracula, etc) and it was half the content this game is. It's the prime example of trying to add too much shit that didn't really contribute anything (The need system is totally useless and underdeveloped) and it making the actual core of the game less than it was. (You can beat it in less than 20 minutes)The humor is also a lot more stupid and not in a good way, but in a unfunny way. I don't think I even smiled once. (Expect maybe making the whore give you a back rub, that was somewhat amusing) All I get from playing DCC is I wish the demo had the visuals from it but honestly, the demo has nice visual flare at times too. (Such as Lino's emosets, the custom animations and such) I'm gonna do Part 4 today, hopefully I'll clear the castle by then.

EDIT:

Episode 4

Edited by MISTER BIG T, 02 February 2013 - 02:26 PM.

bigg.jpg

@drbigt

#14 MISTER BIG T

MISTER BIG T

King of Sadism

• Members
  • 602 posts

User's Awards

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

From this point forward, we're officially past the Destiny's Call Complete's length already.

Episode 5

Edited by MISTER BIG T, 03 February 2013 - 12:50 PM.

bigg.jpg

@drbigt

#15 MISTER BIG T

MISTER BIG T

King of Sadism

• Members
  • 602 posts

User's Awards

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

This LP has ended! I'm taking in suggestions for LPs if you want me to play your game.

Episode 6

Episode 7

Episode 8

Episode 9

bigg.jpg

@drbigt

#16 Hotfirelegend

Hotfirelegend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

Nice LP! If you want, try the atrocity that was Zendir 1, or Zendir 2's (far better!) demo? Also, Star Stealing Prince?

#17 Travatar

Travatar

Summoned by candle, by book, and by bell.

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

Mister Big T- You sound like you could be Strong Bad's long lost cousin from Northern Europe. And that is a good thing. Nice work, and nice LP's :D

"But don't cut your losses too soon, 'cause you'll only be cutting your throat.

And answer the call while you still hear at all, 'cause nobody will if you won't."

- Dream Theater, 6:00

#18 Clord

Clord

Insert something cool here.

• Member+
  • 1,223 posts

User's Awards

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:06 AM

Mister Big T- You sound like you could be Strong Bad's long lost cousin from Northern Europe. And that is a good thing. Nice work, and nice LP's  :D

Sounds bit of like those stereotypical wrestlers in a fictional works.

1080p is awesome.

Edited by Clord, 17 February 2013 - 06:07 AM.

SiteBanner_zps9322ab19.pngMangaBanner_zps81483062.png

Spoiler

#19 MISTER BIG T

MISTER BIG T

King of Sadism

• Members
  • 602 posts

User's Awards

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:28 AM

I'm working on a new LP, requested by the maker of the game. IN the meantime, I made this small video with some fun highlights of the previous LP.

EDIT: This is one of the most funniest game I've ever played! I was laughing with literally tears coming out from my eyes much.

Part 1

Edited by MISTER BIG T, 17 February 2013 - 01:12 PM.

bigg.jpg

@drbigt

#20 MISTER BIG T

MISTER BIG T

King of Sadism

• Members
  • 602 posts

User's Awards

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

So, a bit of a bumping with big new because I didn't think making a new topic just for the sake of this would be a good idea. I've not stopped LP'ing, quite the contrary but due to the number of updates and posting videos here would be quite bothersome and I'd be bumping this topic every 2nd day (since I'm now doing videos every tuesday, thursday and saturday), I am running all the updates only by Twitter and Wordpress that I've set up for convenience about all sorts of neat updates and all the videos will be easily found in the neat Wordpress site as well as new videos are announced there too.

http://drbigt.wordpress.com/

https://twitter.com/Drbigt

If you wish to request a LP, you can PM me or contact me by mail or any of the beforementioned sites or the Youtube account.

bigg.jpg

@drbigt