Photo

Sleep animation....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Owain

Owain

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to the RPG Maker scene, am using VX Ace.

For around a week i have been searching the web for info/tutorials on how to make/create what i believe is a sleep animation. Basically i want my characters to do the same as some of the classic RPG's, when you stay at an Inn you see the character get into the bed and actually go to sleep, then when the screen fades in you see them wake up and get out of the bed.

Unfortunately i have had absolutely no luck at all with this. I apologise if this topic annoys anyone as i have seen a number of posts where people ask for help but actually just get a very blunt/rude reply. This is my first ever attempt at making an RPG so don't really know much about it yet as I'm attempting to learn just by actually using the software and correcting mistakes as and when i can and don't really want to keep asking for help on here if im just gonna get bombarded with unhelpful comments, but at this time i have no choice as i am completely stuck. I would really appreciate any help that can be offered.

#2 Napoleon

Napoleon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

1 post? Nah I don't believe that you're exactly 'spamming the forums' ;). No but I get your point.

Did you try something like:

1. turn off collision for player

2. move him onto the bed

3. gather followers onto the bed (Erm... yeah.. or hide them, perhaps that looks a bit less erm... you know)

4. make all actors face down

5. draw the sheet of the bed on top of the player. A picture would be the easiest way probably. Now if the bed has the right y-offset then you can see the players head sticking outside of the sheet but the sheet is covering his body.

6. add a Zzzzz balloon.

If the bed is not 'facing upwards' then you might have to replace the actor graphic to a horizontal or an up-side-down one. Don't forget to turn the player collision on again after moving him off the bed.

Edited by Napoleon, 09 February 2013 - 07:28 PM.

The Devil's Deal Progress: Sig.png
Scripts Master Demo

#3 Owain

Owain

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

Thank you very much for your response, unfortunately most of that has gone straight over my head :unsure: lol I'm pretty new to this so haven't really got a great understanding of a lot of the different aspects of making an RPG yet so as much as I appreciate the response please could you say it in a way that a total newbie could understand.

#4 Lunarea

Lunarea

Artist

• Admin
  • 5,307 posts

User's Awards

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

I've made a demo for you that you can look at and dissect:

Download Link

However, it's not an extremely simple event. It makes use of switches, conditional branches and event pages. If you're not familiar with how those work yet, I would urge you to look up some tutorials about them. They're the building blocks of most events. :)

My blog:

DevBlogSig.png

My current projects:

TUAH-userbar.png

Userbar-ST.png

#5 Owain

Owain

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:55 AM

Thank you very much Lunarea, I will make an attempt but if I don't have any joy then I will take your advice and carry out some research first  :)

#6 Owain

Owain

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:43 AM

Well..... I've managed to set up the event but I'm having a problem during testing. When i enter the game and go to the Inn I am given the choices of staying or not, as soon as i select "Yes" I lose complete control over my character (cannot move etc) it's as though the game has frozen/crashed but everything else is running fine (flames in fireplace etc)

Any idea what would cause this and how i can resolve it at all please? Haven't managed to find any obvious mistakes but then again i don't know everything yet so some things may not be obvious to me.

#7 eigwayne

eigwayne

Advanced Member

• Early Adopter
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

We'll need a little more information to help. Perhaps a screenshot of the event page?

If you copied the event info from Lunarea's demo, it might be an issue with the switches. That is, if I were setting up this event, that is where I would most likely make an error.

Make sure you are using the same switch number in both the innkeeper and the bed event to activate the sleeping, and that the innkeeper is turning that switch on (in the demo, this is switch 0002: Inn. Your number and label could be different; that's why you should check them). Check the innkeeper event first, since he seems to be the trouble. Your switch should turn on, you might have a message, and then the conditional branch should end so you can move. Anything else there might mess you up.

Also check the bed event page for that switch and make sure the "Trigger" field down at the bottom is set to "Action Button" not AutoRun or the other options. An incorrect trigger could complicate matters. If these troubleshooting tips don't work, please post a picture of your innkeeper page, and maybe the bed page, and I or someone else here can take a peek and see what we can do.

#8 Owain

Owain

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Thanks eigwayne, checked my switches and hadn't quite set them correctly  :guffaw:

#9 Celianna

Celianna

VX/Ace tileset artist

• Global Moderators
  • 6,653 posts

User's Awards

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

Owain, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Is this now solved?

new_logo_small_zpsae8f2402.png
A new dungeon-themed tileset in the works.

#10 Owain

Owain

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

Double posting? I haven't double posted anything have i?  :unsure:

#11 Celianna

Celianna

VX/Ace tileset artist

• Global Moderators
  • 6,653 posts

User's Awards

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

It means to make two posts right underneath each other. Yes, you have double posted. Read our rules.

I'm gonna assume this is solved now.

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

new_logo_small_zpsae8f2402.png
A new dungeon-themed tileset in the works.