Photo

Map Size (how large should it be)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 GaretJax

GaretJax

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

I know that the maximum map size is 500 X 500. If you have a large world map it is advisable to make it as one large single map or should you break it up in some way? If you do use a a very large world map (500x500) will it slow down the final game or cause memory problems?

Thanks for the advice in advance. 

#2 EchoBlossom123

EchoBlossom123

RPG maker forum's Resident Echo

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Some of it I think is down to personal taste, and the rest of it is down to practicality and what is needed in your game.

If the map was very large, personally I'd split it up into areas and have a separate map each for those areas. I don't know if a map 500x500 would slow down someone's computer, but it might. 

If there's a possibility for it, I'd stay clear of it. It'd be terrible to frustrate a player unnecessarily.

That, and does anyone really need a map that big? this is a legitimate question, as I seriously can't think of a need for one.

#3 GaretJax

GaretJax

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the reply. I will probably try to break up the map into the different areas. In the mod I need to prevent the player from having access to some  areas until they complete some tasks anyway. Perhaps there is a way to check certain stages of the quest to allow access to the next map. Probably a quest variable which is incremented to indicate quest progress.

#4 West Mains

West Mains

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

How long is a piece of string?

wzh8.jpg

Click to know fear.

xhtk.jpg

A Sim Game that Simulates the life of a Shopkeeper in an RPG Maker game!