Evan G.

Tiles RTP Edit: Realistic World Map Tiles

35 posts in this topic

"Farewell, Boxland"

Q2c2A.jpg

I was a little disappointed with Ace's lack of non-boxy world map tiles, so I made my own. It's just an RTP edit and it probably should've been included in Ace from the start, so you don't need to credit me for using it.

The three files are:

(A1 Round Redo) - Edited water. Replace (Animation) with it in your Field tileset.

(A2 Round Redo) - Edited land. Replace (Ground) with it in your Field tileset.

(Round Straight Sections) - Layer 2 parts for smoothing out your land. Use these as page C, D, or E in your Field tileset.

The files are attached at the bottom of the post. All three are necessary to achieve the full effect of the tileset.

Known Issues

*Some island tiles (molten rock, crater, beige stone) aren't complete yet, but they should be easy to do. Desert is just missing smoothing tiles.*

*The mini-island tiles have a small piece of their shore embedded in the land tiles. This can be fixed by placing the adjacent grass tiles over them.*

*You can't combine different land types yet. I plan to fix this eventually.*

post-584-0-45409900-1332869277_thumb.png

post-584-0-59772500-1332869278_thumb.png

post-584-0-36901800-1332869279_thumb.png

Edited by lemonairable
Aurorain, Shinma, redbizon and 23 others like this

These are really good I especially like the effect they have on mapping. reminds me of the tales of series games...very smooth.

Excellent job there, lemon, and I agree that this is something that should have been done in Ace. This will definitely come in hand in making a better style of world maps.

Thank you! I will use them! :lol:

Hmmm... I don't know... I kind like the squarish look of the RTP.

But the thing with what you did it there is that A1 is animated, but A2 is not. By putting round tiles of land on the A2, you had to complete its conners with water but a unanimated one.

IMO, this makes the set look weird when combined on a map. The result being that most of the water is animated but the conners around the land is not...

I tried something like that on VX (not Ace), but for a better result I had to put the tiles of land with animated corners on A1. It worked, but I used up most of the A1 and on VX you had to be careful with tile space usage, so I droped the idea.

There is a game on rpgmakervx.net that used some similar idea, it's Adela Isra by StormriderAngel.

Edited by Shin

These are very beautiful so far. I hope the rest gets completed. I'll definately book mark this on the updates.

Nice work,

May I ask you or anyone in this post a simple question on creating world map tiles? on your A1 tile set for the world map, what are the sizes for the different objects? guess what I am asking is to create an A1 tile set do the objects need to be any particular size? Or maybe someone can point me towards a tutorial on creating your own stuff?

Yes, they need to be a particular size. Look in the help file - it's all written out very clearly there, including how the different tiles behave when you use them and mix them together.

Specifically, in the Contents, go to RPG Maker VX Ace, Reference Material, Resource Standards, and then Tilesets.

Yes, they need to be a particular size. Look in the help file - it's all written out very clearly there, including how the different tiles behave when you use them and mix them together.

Specifically, in the Contents, go to RPG Maker VX Ace, Reference Material, Resource Standards, and then Tilesets.

Thanks for the information Shaz but I am using Rpg maker VX, and when you say contents do you mean the game folder or on the website? because the website information I did not find very helpful.

:) Read my post again, which you quoted. I said "look in the help file ... specifically, in the Contents ...". Ace and VX have similar contents in the help file, so follow the same navigation.

(However, next time you have a specific question, you should open your own thread, and make it clear that you're using VX rather than Ace, because sometimes the answer will be different)

i personally am having an issue with this tile set. a "read me" or tutorial on how to use the tiles to create various effects would be appreciated for any future questions that may arise such as curving the land and making it flat as desired. again this is just an issue im having i dont know if anyone else is so feel free to bash me point out obvious fixes etc. i dont mind it

i personally am having an issue with this tile set. a "read me" or tutorial on how to use the tiles to create various effects would be appreciated for any future questions that may arise such as curving the land and making it flat as desired. again this is just an issue im having i dont know if anyone else is so feel free to bash me point out obvious fixes etc. i dont mind it

Your Tileset configuration should look like this:

iv6xn.jpg

Also, you have to download all three of the files in the header post.

i have all three sets and i have set up a different tile set my issue is curving the land as needed and placing the mountains and trees and so on on top of the land. when i try to do that the land disappears or is cut up instead of running along smoothly.

Nevermind, figured it out.

Edited by dread

I didn't like the blocky feeling either. Im glad you edited them Evan.

Oh God! How beautiful!!

After apply this to my in progress game (For the Demo 2) all are mess up! But I fix them all and now, it's looks better and less square.

This is what I wanted!

-REMOVED-

Edited by Touchfuzzy
Rules

Uhmm? What? One single post and you post your game's demo... in a resource thread?

Amazing in the never ending conquest to try and make maps in RMVX/Ace not look blocky! I love to see if you are able to apply this technique with other automap tiles. Great work! :)

This is so good! I almost forsake the World Map in my game because of the boxy-ness of the original, lol

Hey i have some Major issues with the Tiles. I'd love to use them in my Game but..When i make a Continent with green Tiles and try to place some sand in it..Sand will be covered with Water...Like an Island in Continent. Same with Snow and so on. Many tiles are still Squarisch not round.

Its just like you said that i cant mix the land-types, but when i try to make good World map i need to! Will you be fixing it and finishing your tiles or its a lost case?

Sorry I'm a bit new to this but I registared and now I can't see the download links....

I had a friend help me out with creating rounded tiles for the gray wasteland tiles as well as the coastlines for the desert tiles. If it is okay I can post the updated files for people?

@Shadowcat, Evan G has not posted on this thread since May of last year. He is still active in the community, so you could always PM him.

@Mcmoto, someone can correct me if I am wrong, but as long as you credit Evan G for any originals of his that you use, then that shouldn't be a problem.

I had a friend help me out with creating rounded tiles for the gray wasteland tiles as well as the coastlines for the desert tiles. If it is okay I can post the updated files for people?

Yeah, sure. I stopped working on this, so everybody who wants to finish it is more than welcome to.

Shinma likes this