Last Activity:
Apr 23, 2019

Following 2

Birthday:
Oct 6, 1995 (Age: 24)

Share This Page

2098-Face

Overcaffeinated, Male, 24, from QC, Canada

Revisiting one of my older games: Chicken Roadcrosser 7. A high-intensity 3D dodging game! Maybe I should polish it and put it up here? Aug 22, 2018

2098-Face was last seen:
Apr 23, 2019
    1. Neo_Kum0rius_6000
      Neo_Kum0rius_6000
      Hello Skeleton T!
    2. 2098-Face
      2098-Face
      Revisiting one of my older games: Chicken Roadcrosser 7. A high-intensity 3D dodging game! Maybe I should polish it and put it up here?
      1. Philosophus Vagus and mlogan like this.
      2. Philosophus Vagus
        Philosophus Vagus
        So basically frogger with chickens? You should, id happily try out cr7 aka clucker.
        Aug 22, 2018
        2098-Face likes this.
    3. 2098-Face
      2098-Face
      Newly-hatched
    4. 2098-Face
      2098-Face
      Jumping from the nest
  • About

Birthday:
    Oct 6, 1995 (Age: 24)
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Interests:
    Javascript, Nintendo, Creative Writing
    Heyo! 2098-Face here. Been a lurker for a while, decided to put something up.

Techy Stuff
    For as long as I can recall, I've brainstormed ideas for games. Fangames, original games, adaptations, twists or mergers of concepts... I played imaginary games with friends; wrote down pitches and dialogue for games; worked with custom level editors in games; and brainstormed them with friends.

One of my friends introduced me to RPG Maker VX Ace. Currently, I use MV, since I have an existing background in Javascript. My favorite thing is seeing how the system's limits can be pushed; through event, plugins, and sometimes my own scripting. Often, the end result of my morbid curiosity ends up pretty fun!

Writey Stuff
    Apart from coding, I dabble in creative writing. Mostly through short stories, mixing between original fiction and fanfic drabbles. I participated in the 2017 NaNoWriMo, putting in a comedic sci-fi story. While some write what they would like to see in games or on TV (and I know I do, too), I think the power of narration and language to reformat and guide a story is an essential asset that's hard to imitate onscreen, and try my best to play with it. Video games, for sure, can be a great method of storytelling; I'd love to use this engine's nonverbal elements to add to what dialogue can, and let mechanics flesh out themes and characters.

Some of my Favorite Games
    • Puyo Puyo (for its ability to merge casual and competitive gaming, by using easy-to-learn mechanics and basing the system around obliterating opponents)
    • WarioWare, Inc. (for how it can simplify game concepts to a very basic level, cutting away at flack)
    • Paper Mario (for how it makes even single-digit damage numbers meaningful, and its absolutely sincere storyline that's confident of its own merits)
    • River City Ransom (for its merger of RPG mechanics with fun beat 'em up physics, slightly-randomized nature, and ways it fits growth into its setting and gameplay)
    • Legend of the Mystical Ninja (for its multiplayer ability, variety in gameplay modes, and the comedic tone that still manages to bring engaging characters)
    • Disgaea (for the sheer depth of its mechanics, sense of humor, and how it makes me feel like I'm a smart person telling others what to do)
    Some of my favorite stories
    • John Dies at the End (for using a unique style of first-person narration that doesn't get in the way of clarity, or the novel's horror themes)
    • Frankenstein (for how it can transition between peaceful scenes and existential horror, and its ability to raise questions without expecting an answer)
    • Don Quixote (for being written in a style where nobody's sure whether they should laugh or cringe, and being an early example of self-awareness)
    • The Code of the Woosters (for pulling off a seriously complex plot while just getting funnier and funnier)
    • Macbeth (for how sympathetic it makes a murderer, and the way it handles character evolution)
    • The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (for, again, using self-aware narration with a story that really questions the roles of the cast)
    • Slayers novels (for hitting the perfect mix of comedy and drama with an almost-epic quest, and having one of the best-written female protagonists ever with great characters to bounce off of)
    • The Great Adventures of the Dirty Pair (for a careful balance of speculative sci-fi with mindless action; competent heroics with clumsy destruction; friendship with rivalry; and technological utopianism with mysticism and critique.)

Areas where I'd like to improve
    I recognize that my drawing skills could use work to really bring my pieces to life, inside and outside games. (Especially custom spriting). Sometimes, I find myself victim to "Shiny New Idea" syndrome, switching back and forth between pitches; I'm hoping my experience on this site can help me maintain a consistent focus. And while I recognize the value of comedy, and not taking oneself seriously, I know that too much elbow-in-ribs sarcasm can just be destructive. I'd like to work on building a story that's more honest, without being self-serious or dark.

Signature

[​IMG]