Alexander Amnell

Awarded Medals 2

Birthday:
Jul 15, 1985 (Age: 34)

Share This Page

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist, Male, 34, from Zaječí

Veteran

The tragedy of finding happiness is the ease with which this world can turn it all to ash. May 21, 2017

1. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
          It would be like, the perfect week to go camping right now if it wasn't for the drought. Just saddle up the horses, grab the kids and the dogs and just disappear from technology for a week or so and all the articles continuing to try and divide everyone into all these different opposing little boxes.
      1. 1 person likes this.
    2. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         Had to take the kids with me to vote this morning. Eldests reaction "why don't they have booths like when we had a school election?"

Heck if I know the answer, anyone else's voting block eschew the privacy of the booth for the speed of just having everybody sit down at tables to fill out their ballots? Never really thought about it before, kinda always been that way here.
      1. mlogan
        mlogan
        We have booths, the machines are inside them.
        Nov 8, 2016
      2. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
           I'd imagine most places have booths, but everywhere I've voted has had a more old-school setup where we're just given paper ballots that we fill out at tables and enter into a singular vote-counting machine at the end. Haven't thought much about it til Rachel brought it up this morning but it's kind of funny that people make such a big deal about the safety and privacy of the voting booth when that's not exactly an absolute and all one would have to do to void my privacy is look over my shoulder like a schoolchild cheating on a test. That and the fact that a group of parents in our homeschool group myself included go to great pains to replicate the standard voting experience for a mock election for our children meanwhile we don't even worry about having such integrity in our real electoral process.

Not that I'm necessarily complaining, everyone within earshot this morning pretty much learned my political leanings as I used it as a teaching moment to explain why proper research while participating in the process is necessary due to the various tricks and pitfalls politicians use to get amendments passed through as vaguely as possible; ("this amendment rewords articles 3.2 in the 1901 constitution so as to invalidate junction 36 C. Yes or No?") so that hopefully they'll do their due diligence before going to the polls when they come of age. Never been shy about that myself, but can understand why others might want to be at times.
        Nov 9, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      3. Zalerinian
        Zalerinian
        When I voted they had little tables set up with whatever material most lawn signs are made of as a privacy border of sorts so tough could fill it out. You then went into another line to put the ballot through the machine. 
        Nov 9, 2016
    3. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         I'll be glad when every shape form and type of person imaginable becomes president of the U.S., maybe then I'll stop being accused of being a bigot (by the president an future president no less) arbitrarily if I don't vote for the 'historic first.'

this isn't a political post really, I'm just sick and tired of 'leaders' drawing imaginary lines over people and claiming "anyone on this line is a deplorable bigoted monster and they should just stfu and gtfo". That's not how you lead people, or at the least it shouldn't be.
    4. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         Just found out my health insurance will no longer cover my anti-anxiety meds I've been taking for twelve years, they suggest buspar as an alternative, a much cheaper drug that I tried (out of like two dozen other meds I bounced between before finding one that actually worked for me) as a teenager that did nothing for me but give me stomach cramps and male hot flashes.

Why aren't actual doctors the ones in charge of this stuff, because mine agrees with me that I actually need mine to function!?!
      1. 2 people like this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. AwesomeCool
        AwesomeCool
        @The Stranger - I personally think we are going to go ala Rome (or pre-medieval Europe, or Greece, or Japan, or Byzantine Empire, or one of the other 89 cultures that did this).

People become way to self-centered and selfish to the point that we all start destroying each other as soon as unity stops self-benefitting people.  

Whether it peacefully like Japan is doing (So many are pulling out of society and the economy is in free fall), implosive like normal (men revolt and old school patriarchy system is renewed along with small upper-class and huge slave/serf class), or every man for itself causes easy takeover (like Rome).

...and then the culture lifecycle begins anew again. 
        Oct 30, 2016
        2 people like this.
      4. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
           @The Stranger That's really unfortunate though I'm glad you've managed to get it semi-sorted out. Hearing how much they kept trying to take from you make my problems seem petty in comparison; or else it's an allusion to my future.

@AwesomeCool We do like to think for some reason that by virtue of being born later in the annals of history, we're somehow wiser than all those who came before us. As if the cumulative sciences, philosophies and theologies of history have manifested themselves in truth within our very bones as we're born that ironically enough seems to result in an unwillingness to look back at the past and learn from it. Unfortunately amongst all this wealth where virtually everyone has electricity, running water and food all we can do is complain about how unfairly it's divided, we remain so smug and superior and tacit while turning a blind eye to countries like Uganda where people live in huts of mud getting by on little cakes of mashed rice and grubs dug up from the earth and will break down in tears of joy and gratefulness at the sight of a foreigner bearing syphilis vaccines, tools to dig latrines and the bear minimum of school supplies and tuition for the kids whose parents cant afford the bare minimum (roughly 22 U.S. Dollars a year) cost of sending their progeny to school to educate themselves for a better life.

sheep, didn't mean to get on a rant but you put me in the mood tonight. All these whiny little Americans who think that our culture is just the most horrid thing since Caligula should really be made to participate in some sort of humanitarian effort...scratch that, the whole first world should be required as part of our standard education curriculum. I doubt we'd feel such a cultural need to tear each other down in such vitriol and spite with such certainty of our chosen foe's inherent evilness if we did so. Maybe spend that ire bringing about change to those who are really suffering rather than arguing amongst ourselves as to whose suffering is worse over here while squandering our wealth in the process with appeasement after appeasement until there is literally nothing left and we all implode as you've described quite adequately.
        Oct 30, 2016
        3 people like this.
      5. The Stranger
        The Stranger
        @Alexander Amnell I 100% agree with everything you've said. Far too much whining over trivial things. In the west, we like to think we are somehow superior to the rest of the world - especially when it comes to self-righteousness and our way of life. However, after surviving on the streets of London for a year, I think people cope with the mass amounts of poverty and social sickness (at least in the UK) by pretending it doesn't exist at all; or somehow viewing it as not as bad as poverty in distant lands.

I went to Birmingham city centre a few days ago, and the number of homeless people is sky high. So many young faces who have little chance of getting off the streets.No one seems to care, though. Or at least, not enough care. People just like to blame the victim for their suffering. He\she is homeless because of laziness, drugs, or some other stupid assumption. It's never because of circumstance, a broken society, etc.

The only reason I managed to get off the streets was because I did something very drastic, and my goal wasn't even to get off the streets.

We rely far too heavily on various charities to perform the good deeds we should do on our own. Half of these organisations are huge money sinks which don't change all that much, anyway - beyond the various homeless outreach organisations, that is. We, as a society, need to open our eyes to the real problems in our nations (poverty, warmongering leaders, etc) rather than stupid things such as SJW safe spaces.
        Oct 30, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    5. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         I really wish it would rain, bad enough all the animals are already costing me winter feed, but now cops decide to show up at my campsite and fine me for my very safety-conscious little Dakota hole cook-fire.

Really disappointing ending to a nice trot up to the mountains; jerks left us cold, hungry and with nearly 400 dollars owed in fines.
      1. 2 people like this.
      3. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
           It wasn't really an open fire though, it was a little cook pit, completely underground and there is no peat in the soil here to smolder and catch. Just because some idiot in Moody lit up a trash fire and burned down 40 acres in a night doesn't mean that people like me can't light tiny little fires responsibly.

Though if we could somehow trade weathers for a few days, that'd be ideal.
        Oct 27, 2016
        2 people like this.
      4. Dalph
        Dalph
        Police is efficient like that, always ready to annoy good people of course, instead of protecting. I remember once they fined my father because his car insurance was expired for one day, while he was going to renovate it (the exact same day of the exp/ren), they didn't want to hear excuses. Another time they stopped me on street (I was without a car) because they thought I was an illegal immigrant and made me waste a lot of time for nothing, while someone else was robbing a house nearby. 
        Oct 27, 2016
        3 people like this.
      5. AwesomeCool
        AwesomeCool
        It just snowed here and I am mad that it just rained and melted it all.  Snow can be quite the beauty to look at.

Now it is just cold, a poor deal sadly.
        Oct 27, 2016
    6. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         So turns out mom is a really good shot too...I'm really beginning to think that shooting might just be something women are naturally better at than men, at least in terms of pure accuracy .
      1. 1 person likes this.
      2. Dalph
        Dalph
        That statement sort of reminds me when I went with my family to a local fair in my city many years ago.

My mom there wanted to try shooting with these kind of toy guns and with big surprise of my dad, she shot 3 times and hit 2 cans out of 3, it was also her first time.
        Oct 15, 2016
        2 people like this.
      3. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
           Well this is mom's third or fourth trip to the range, but in that time she's gone from missing more than half the time at a target only a few steps away (she's always been extremely terrified of guns, kept flinching in anticipation of it exploding on her or something that day I think) on her first trip to shooting 3" groupings from ten yards this morning.

Seems like all the women I teach to shoot end up being better shots than me in the end, just never thought I'd have to worry about my own mother surpassing me. Then again, this time last year I never thought she'd be capable of knowingly being in the same room with a firearm without freaking out, but right now she's sitting on my back porch cleaning her firearm for the first time. 
        Oct 15, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    7. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         Mom got a Smith & Wesson 642 yesterday, as well as a gun safe, a concealed carry permit and I bought her a purse with a built in holster as an early birthday present. I still can't believe any of that just happened.
      1. 1 person likes this.
      3. PixelHeart
        PixelHeart
        @Alexander Amnell Wow!...Holy cow...taking down my towns gun store. Id be the next witch burning....lol.
        Oct 9, 2016
      4. Golden Unicorn Gaming
        Golden Unicorn Gaming
        Leave it be.  Not hurting anyone, allowing two parties making voluntary transactions with each other.  The only thing you're supporting by calling it in is assisting the government in its confiscation of our wealth via taxes.  People that want guns will get them regardless.
        Oct 9, 2016
      5. Golden Unicorn Gaming
        Golden Unicorn Gaming
        And tell your responsible mother congrats
        Oct 9, 2016
    8. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         My mom wants me to go with her this afternoon and help her pick out a firearm, my sister-in-law armed herself last year...now there's no one left in my family to tell me how bad guns are and how irresponsible I am for owning one, crazy times I guess.
      1. 1 person likes this.
    9. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         You know your dog is way to spoiled when he steals pillows from your bed, carries them over to his dog bed and then uses the pillow correctly by resting his head on it.
      1. 3 people like this.
    10. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
        Wife and kids just arrived safely at their sister/aunt's place in Colorado. For the next couple of days it's nothing but game making, blaring my adults-only pandora station and binge-watching Military and/or horror movies on Netflix.

Then I'll probably spend the rest of the week moping around waiting for them to get back.
    11. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
      It's not so fun being your family's resident computer expert when you aren't actually an expert on computers.
      1. 2 people like this.
      2. Ms Littlefish
        Ms Littlefish
        I used to be this person for my parents and I'm all, "Ma' I'm a horticulturist." My boyfriend is a network engineer and now I'm completely off the hook. That's the secret. 
        Sep 6, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      3. Uzuki
        Uzuki
        I've been there. Hell I AM there. People assume because I wear glasses and that I'm on my laptop in my free time, that I know programming language and that I'm some kind of l33t hacker. They're very crestfallen when they realize that all I do is watch cat videos and work on my scripts.
        Sep 6, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    12. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
          I just bought a stall booger today. Really nice at what it does, but I have to wonder why no one stood up at the branding meeting and said "you know, if this is the classiest name we can come up with for our product, why not go with the obvious and call it a sheep rake? At least then everyone will know at a glance what it's for."
      1. taarna23
        taarna23
        LOL! I actually clicked going "wtf is a stall booger??" Now I know it's a sheep rake.
        Sep 4, 2016
        2 people like this.
      2. Euphony
        Euphony
        ^Lol same. xD
        Sep 4, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      3. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
        Thank you both for proving my point.
        Sep 4, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    13. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
      High lord Wulner is hands down the most intimidating boss I think I've ever seen in a souls game...unfortunately he's also just about the easiest boss I've fought in ANY game. :headshake: ...why so easy? D:<
      1. View previous comments...
      2. AwesomeCool
        AwesomeCool
        he is the spookiest of skeletons!

Also, NEW DARK SOULS 3 DLC!!!! OCT 25th!

YEAAAA!

spoilers for the leaks that were taken down:

Ice and angel magic...

YES PLEASE!!!!

Aug 24, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      3. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
           Second phase? He just kept lifting his arms slowly one at a time to try to crush me until I killed him, didn't see any second phase or abyss that kills you or anything. His intro scene was awesome, I wasn't expecting a boss and when the goblet started bleeding darkness I knew I was screwed...but then it's like he didn't even try to put up a fight. I died enough in the catacombs on the way to the boss to make up for it I guess, it's just really disappointing after such a difficult area to face such a pushover of a boss.
        Aug 25, 2016
      4. Scythuz
        Scythuz
        Ah basically it's a dark cloud all around you and he also uses it as an attack, if you get caught by his ribcage/chest when he uses it as an attack it's very likely to kill you if you get completely stuck like I did the first time.
        Aug 25, 2016
    14. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         I need to figure out what's causing my middle child to have such vivid nightmares on a regular basis.

Not that I mind consoling her, but between my normal insomnia and her night terrors sleep has started to become an increasingly elusive state for me these past few weeks.
      2. AwesomeCool
        AwesomeCool
        @Alexander Amnell - It obviously has something to do with the moving then.  Perhaps avoid going to her about the problem and looking at the other members of the family (moving is probably causing some tension and perhaps some of them are hiding what they really feel).

...I still am amazed what a child can pick up that an adult can't, growing up is ultimately about lying after all (whether it be about a person trying to be what they are not, changing there dreams under pressure or writing things off as nothing when they really are not).

@Euphony - It is not caused by phases (just like you don't get sick for no reason), but if the problem solves it self then it can look like it (generally they do in very short ones).
        Aug 19, 2016
      3. Euphony
        Euphony
        Well obviously they don't happen for no reason, but I have no clue what caused mine and never will, so I'm perfectly content calling mine a phase. I'm not going to try and solve that mystery 15+ years later. Kinda pointless. >__>
        Aug 19, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. Euphony
        Euphony
        Also, I would make her watch The Joy of Painting before bed. Bob Ross will put her to sleep and make her dream of happy little trees. :thumbsup-right:
        Aug 19, 2016
        2 people like this.
    15. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
      Formation-centric gameplay is really fun, both to make and to play. More games should do this instead of sticking strictly to Final Fantasy style rows if formation plays into the game at all.
      1. 1 person likes this.
      3. kovak
        kovak
        wish i knew how to do this kind of sheep :c
        Aug 11, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
        @kovak It's mostly just Yanfly plugins, many of them are extremely customizable if you take the time to look through everything he gives you.
        Aug 12, 2016
      5. kovak
        kovak
        it's jut that idk what is a formation-centric gameplay
        Aug 12, 2016
    16. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
      Man, most invaders in DS3 are complete cowards. I understand kiting enemies for shelter if the host is guarded by the blue or goes summon-happy, but when I fight them 1-on-1 without estus (as long as they don't chug either) the  constant running across the map looking for enemies to hide behind, wasting ten + minutes of my time and chugging heals only to finally Separation Crystal out once I get fed up and Lloyd's Talisman/poison them in response to their crappy tactics the game just stops being fun in online play.

Where are the blue-eye orbs in DS3? I want to punish some cowardly reds for once, this game has the most cheese-happy pvp I've ever seen and I'm only half-way to the meta for participating in duels so that's not on the table atm.
      1. 1 person likes this.
      3. KanaX
        KanaX
        What makes you say that? :)
        Aug 11, 2016
      4. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
        and not to be all pcmasterrace and all but...maybe that's why most of the invaders in your game are chill while most of mine are infuriating?
        Aug 11, 2016
      5. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
        It's just a hunch.
        Aug 11, 2016
    17. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         I just found out Kansas is releasing a new album; being that they're my favorite band and haven't released an album since I was a teenager I'm not sure whether to be excited or terrified.
    18. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         People should pay more attention when cooping. Nothing more irritating than having a spell to heal your hosts poison in dark souls, but instead of noticing me chasing him around holding a talisman he just rushes back to the bonfire and then banishes me right before I get to him so he can use it to heal instead.
      1. 1 person likes this.
      2. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
           Not to mention why anyone would be running around in the poisonous swamp level without at least a few items to cure poison in the first place, it's like games 101. Guess that's why I seem to be the only person offering coop over there and get nearly insta-summoned, I keep getting hosts that aren't prepared and keep dying/banishing me. All I want is a few practice runs at the boss before tackling him in my own game.
        Aug 10, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      3. AwesomeCool
        AwesomeCool
        Just another reason that Myazaki is a genius.  Nobody could prepare for such hardcore level design.

I mean:

check out this genius design.
        Aug 10, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
        That is... like exactly how I play dark souls half of the time. Where do you find this stuff? (on an unrelated note, that boss is a complete rear end in a top hat until you realize you can bait it's faceplant and hack the arm to death.)
        Aug 10, 2016
    19. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
      Man, the curse-rotted greatwood has got to be the hardest souls bosses since Ornstein and Smog...at least until the moment you realize you can cheese his deadfall attack and hack the arm to death, ignoring all the little blobs that'll get you killed by aforementioned arm if you try to focus on them instead.
      1. Scythuz
        Scythuz
        Wait until you get further in, it's barely even started yet.  Particularly 1 optional boss you can fight, oh man haha.
        Aug 7, 2016
    20. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
      I hate banks.
      2. Wavelength
        Wavelength
        We've all got our thing.  I hate insurance companies!
        Aug 7, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      3. Niten Ichi Ryu
        Niten Ichi Ryu
        Elisabeth Banks is quite funny though.
        Aug 7, 2016
      4. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
           Ms Littlefish has the right of it. Long story short the bank cancelled my check card two years early to replace with one of those microchipped ones that pretends it's safer when in reality it's a pointless upgrade. The automated number to call won't activate it for some strange reason and the only day I'm really free to go to the bank at a time that they are even open they are strictly driveup only.

@Wavelength I also hate insurance companies, probably more than I hate banks actually.
        Aug 7, 2016
        1 person likes this.
  • About

Birthday:
    Jul 15, 1985 (Age: 34)
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Chibi by Amysaurus/Qtipi

Camping, Riding horses, wandering the woods, shooting(target, plinking and skeet) but not hunting, writing and making games.

Interact