Alexander Amnell

Awarded Medals 2

Birthday:
Jul 15, 1985 (Age: 34)

Share This Page

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist, Male, 34, from Zaječí

Veteran

The tragedy of finding happiness is the ease with which this world can turn it all to ash. May 21, 2017

1. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         My little girls' hairs are darkening to brown :( . I knew already since both mine and my wife's hair is dark that the chances of it keeping were unlikely but up until now they've had the prettiest white-blonde hair and I kept hoping it'd stay that way. Oh well.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. Ms Littlefish
        Ms Littlefish
        Hair color fascinates me. My sister and I are fraternal twins and we both had red hair as children. Hers darkened to a deep, deep ashy brown by about 4. Mine darkened, but remained auburn. It's finally starting to lose some of its red color as I get even older, but now I just cheat and get it done. XD
        Aug 6, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      3. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
        @taarna23 & @Euphony B-but it's so cute...but you are probably right about the jokes and teasing, people can be jerks. I still wish their hair would wait a few years at least before it started changing though.

@Ms Littlefish You just ruined the mental image I had of you based on your avatar.
        Aug 6, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. Ms Littlefish
        Ms Littlefish
        LOL! I wish my hair was as fabulous as my avatar. 
        Aug 6, 2016
    2. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
      What do you do when you finally decide on a title that you really love...but it kind of gives away the best plot twist in the game?
      1. ALTERED STATE ?
        ALTERED STATE ?
        Translate it into Japanese regardless that your game is not Japanese
        Aug 4, 2016
      2. Bonkers
        Bonkers
        Oedipus and friends.
        Aug 4, 2016
      3. Tai_MT
        Tai_MT
        If the title gives away the best plot twist, immediately to anyone who reads it... it's not a good title.  I hate to be the jerk to tell you that, but it's just one of those things you learn as a writer.  You don't call a movie "Rosebud the Sled" or "Ripley the Alien Mommy".

The original title for my game was called "Dead Man's Land"... a sort of take on "No Man's Land" and a good clue as to what you'd be exploring in the game (namely the main character being dead".  The problem is... it's too obvious.  It's too silly sounding.  It's too obvious.  So, I left the name as a "placeholder" until I thought up something better.

What was that something better?  Well, after I'd fleshed out the world a lot more and put some of the dialogue in place, the new name of the game struck me.  It makes sense to the context of the game, it has another meaning, and it portrays a sense of calm.

I settled on "Second Shoreline", which was basically a passage about life and death in the religious texts found within the game (okay, the only major religion, that is really only practiced by pirates and other seafarers).  It isn't so much a twist as it is something to be considered much later, when you finally realize where the title actually comes from and why it's relevant.

My suggestion is to do something like that.  Name your game something along the lines of what it's about and not what happens in it.  Use some synonyms for words if most titles you come up with are too obvious or clichéd.  Or, try to be clever with it and make the players think they're smart once they're 3 hours into the game and realize why it's called what it is.

Treat the title of your game as if it were a character.  It needs layers, it needs to be its own story.  Nobody ever really comes up with a title for a movie, book, or game on their first try.  Like the final product, the name goes through lots of revisions, reworks, and drafts.  It's okay to change the name 7 or 8 or 20 times during production.
        Aug 4, 2016
        2 people like this.
    3. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
      To people who've played dark souls 3 for more than two weeks/two toons.

Am I going crazy or are lightly armored backstabbers with moderate investments in vigor for survivability equally tanky to an actual tank whose invested in the stats to equip heavier armor for damage mitigation? I'm amazed at how well my new thief character seems to take hits with an equal ease to my old tanky knight character whose invested in heavy armor.

I can't really discern more than one hit's worth of difference in their defensive capabilities, only that the new glass cannon does way more damage and doesn't have to worry about equipment load nearly as much.

I'm missing something, right?
      2. Uzuki
        Uzuki
        I don't know all the dirty details of it, but the way my friend explained it to me was like this: There are Invincibility Frames, iFrames, and there are Vulnerable Frames, vFrames. Whenever you take damage, including during the vFrames of rolls, the number of iFrames available during subsequent rolls is reduced. Your available iFrames gradually recover over time if you don’t take damage. The higher your poise stat, the lower the number of iFrames you lose after taking damage and the faster you will recover your lost iFrames when you roll or stagger again.
        Aug 4, 2016
      3. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
           Okay...seems the least From could have done was change the description of poise (and the name itself while they're at it) to vaguely describe that, if that is the case. Either way it seems vitality is the dump stat this time around, as not knowing this/not being patient enough to ever understand the differences and how I can exploit them to roll into attacks like a ghost means it's not going to ever be useful to me beyond a blind luck thing anyway.
        Aug 4, 2016
      4. Uzuki
        Uzuki
        Yeah I feel like that wold have been super hard to describe ingame without knowing the meta game. Personally I just threw that info out my brain and went in Helbred/ Twin Maces swinging. So far I'm 83/113. I say not bad for someone who can't frames and hasn't really played PVP before.
        Aug 4, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    4. Dalph
      Dalph
      http://www.icingstudio.co.uk/images/Wolf_lg.jpg

Have a good one with your family! :D
      1. 2 people like this.
      2. mlogan
        mlogan
        Happy birthday! Hope your family spoils you!
        Jul 16, 2016
        2 people like this.
    5. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
      My wife finally agrees with me...we're moving away from the states. (Or maybe to very rural Alaska, but away from all of the craziness that most people are complacent with at the very least).
      1. 4 people like this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
           I don't have cable as it is and am very selective that the news I do get is vetted properly. Truth be told I know next to nothing about the area, no. Right now we don't know much of anything other than that we want to leave where we are now, and will be researching the particulars of a lot of different areas in the near future so I do appreciate the input/suggestions a lot. I'm just somewhat cynical by nature as well as completely done with the political scene in this country, and don't trust it's 'leaders' not to unintentionally enable this crap wherever we might go if we remain here.
        Jul 9, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. AwesomeCool
        AwesomeCool
        @Alexander Amnell - I find the older people get the more cynical they get (probably can't stop all the nagging stupidity from gnawing at there soul forever).

Ignorance is happiness as I always say (when it comes to any higherup matters atleast) and the reduced stress in our current society is a godsend imo (our society focuses so hard on risks to add enough stress to blow the top of gandhi as is).
        Jul 9, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      5. Shaz
        Shaz
        That is awesome news!  I hope you find somewhere quiet and a little bit isolated for your family to enjoy growing up :)
        Jul 9, 2016
    6. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         My middle child woke the house screaming because of a night terror that she was being abducted by aliens...and I've been binge-watching Unsealed: Alien Files all week.

Feeling really crappy right now, should have been spending my house rest doing something productive like working on my game I haven't touched in months, instead I terrify my children.
      2. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
           Ehh... I was watching what is basically a montage of wild and terrifying theories on aliens and then my daughter has a nightmare about aliens. Pretty sure the only way the two aren't related would be if she were really abducted by aliens, though I do appreciate the sentiment all the same.

I should have known better, but to me such shows are primarily a comedy, with the occasional snippet of information that makes just enough sense to make you wonder thrown in to keep it interesting.
        Jul 7, 2016
      3. AwesomeCool
        AwesomeCool
        @Alexander Amnell - LOL.

You are probably a better dad than mine (he watched tremors all the dang time, which gave me the worst nightmares).
        Jul 7, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. Saltwater Croc
        Saltwater Croc
        How? Unless she was watching it WITH you? o_O
        Jul 8, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    7. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         Nothing quite shows you how much the people around you care about you like being seriously ill will. Over the last couple of days I've barely been able to sit up without someone being right there to get me whatever I need.

It's really sweet but at the same time irritating because I'd rather be moving around and forcing my body to cope as soon as possible but I can't just say that in the face of such kind gestures.
      1. 2 people like this.
      2. Shaz
        Shaz
        You need to tell people to stop being so darn nice to you :)
        Jul 2, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    8. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         Finally home from the hospital after a miserable night and a day. Unfortunately my self-diagnoses was correct and I'm now an appendix lighter with four uncomfortable incisions around my stomach.

On the plus side, now I don't have to fix the car at least. Never would have thought I'd see the day my wife changed a tire out, impact wrench or not.
      1. Susan
        Susan
        I hope it wasn't that bad of an experience. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
        Jun 30, 2016
        3 people like this.
      2. Uzuki
        Uzuki
        Hope you feel better man. And appendixes? They're so overrated. At least you can use this to catch up on crappy movies and binge on sweets :3
        Jun 30, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      3. Shaz
        Shaz
        Ouch!  And good on your wife!
        Jun 30, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    9. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
      It's a really screwed up day when you can't pull off to the side of the road to avoid being a hazard to others without some psycho shooting at you from their house. I'm worried I might need my appendix removed as it is, I shouldn't have to deal with a dayum firefight on top of that and a punctured tire.

So now in addition to spending a night or more in the ER whenever I get out I've got to go spend a day talking to police that probably won't do anything and an evening repairing my car. Some people are just absolutely freaking nuts and should likely be institutionalized for their own good.

How the heck can anyone equate pulling over to the side of the road in their driveway to a situation that calls for lethal force without inquiry or warning? It's bloody insane. People are bloody insane!
      2. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
            ^That's the thing, it's never been scary before. It's just that the entire society seems to have lost it's mind over the last decade or so, I've always been a bit of a hermit but it seems like day by day all I see is people screwing me over or acting completely nuts...or both. I seriously need to get my family out of the states, I've always been a bit of a cynic when it comes to society but these days I'm just completely done with it. It's just to absurd.
        Jun 29, 2016
      3. Shaz
        Shaz
        I was thinking you must have a great job that you love, or lots of family close by or something, to stay where you are.  Australia's a nice place ;)   Come on over!
        Jun 29, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
           I've had an itch to leave for a long while now, but Samantha doesn't want to uproot our kids from the rest of our family, though she's a little less hostile with the idea every time I try to push it so maybe there is hope that one day she'll get on board.

I sympathize with her, it's hard to accept that the place you've called home all your life and where your roots are has changed to such a degree, and to balance memories of a childhood where the people around you were responsible and you could roam the countryside without fear with the reality that today the idea of my kids getting out of my sight often terrifies me. I've come to terms with it, but I can understand how she hasn't yet and I'm trying to be patient and trust that she'll come around with time.

Australia is high up on my list of potential places to move though, all the nature documentaries I've watched about the place have been absolutely stunning and I've always wanted to go there. Pretty much all I need to be happy is a wilderness to retreat to from time to time and my family, and Australia certainly has one of those things covered already.
        Jun 29, 2016
    10. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         How bad is it that I can come up with something to say that is so bleak and depressing that it leaves my professional therapist teary-eyed and speechless?
      1. Bonkers
        Bonkers
        Acting lessons on the behalf of professionals benefit the patient in the long run I suppose.
        Jun 17, 2016
      2. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
           How would pretending to be phased by a depressed patient's ramblings possibly be beneficial to the patient? If anything that kind of thing just further fuels and reinforces the depression I'd think. Fake or not.
        Jun 17, 2016
      3. Labyrinthine
        Labyrinthine
        Hey, I wanna play that game, if you're talking about one.
        Jun 17, 2016
    11. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         Spent the afternoon crawling around in the attic looking for what's making part of the house leak. I finally find a blockage in the condensation tray for the HVAC, clear it and now there are 10x as many leaks and I have no clue what to do other than burn my money and call someone who does.

I hate summer sometimes. If I wanted to lie around wet with sweat I'd go camping...you know, screw this sweltering house I'm going camping.
      1. 1 person likes this.
    12. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         my PS4 storage is completely full...with required companion downloads to nine games of which I own physical copies. I miss the days when physical copies were actually the game and not essentially a download code and a framework, now I have to decide what to delete and then spend several hours redownloading next time I or anyone else wants to play it.

Why does every physical console game these days need 30+gb of install space in order to play? Doesn't that essentially dissolve the entire argument against the pc master race culture in a way, if I'm constantly having to cycle between any games above nine that I have and worrying about updates and installs than are consoles really any more plug and play than gaming rigs are anymore?
      1. 2 people like this.
      3. Kane Hart
        Kane Hart
        The truth is it's not fast enough, it's also day 0 patches. Most devs now don't have their game finished and ready months before they start creating the discs. Instead they are still making the game while also making the discs...

They tend to have day 0 Patches that are insane some really big because they had a small export bug say making all the textures ugly or their using a engine that does not allow them to patch smaller files within their main binary so they end up having to release entirely new binary files to replace old ones.

With the 2 combinations of speed and lazy devs it ends up this way at the end of the day. In the future it will end up going pure digital. I can see more and more consoles not even including a disc bay or better yet they go to flash media if they want to keep some sort of physical feature.
        Jun 4, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
           My problem is I have shitty internet, and no matter that for people without that the game can boot up in 30 seconds from beginning install, I can give a game 30 minutes to download it's assets and still be booted out halfway through the intro due to not having enough of the game installed yet.

@taarna23My point exactly. If consoles are pretty much digital now why do they still even exist? As far as I can tell, everything that I liked about consoles has been pretty much eroded this gen, leaving me scratching my head and wondering why I even have one anymore. Used to be it was the plug and play ease and the fact that physical disks circumvented the long wait times my crappy, monopoly of an internet service caps me with regarding downloading games, neither of those things are true anymore though, now consoles genuinely appear nothing more than a more restrictive pc, complete with all the setbacks that used to make them a viable alternative to it.
        Jun 4, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      5. AwesomeCool
        AwesomeCool
        Most games don't even use half of the storage on Blurays.

The problem is that reading data from a Bluray discs is much slower than many other forms of data transfer (it is veryfar behind the curve of other alternatives).  So they install a big portion of the data in order to speed up loading times.

This is actually a big advantage for cartridges (which are much, much faster by default) and now that technology has allowed cartridges to store alot more info then before, they might come back.

We switched from cartridges to discs for discs could hold alot more data and now we might switch back as discs are hitting a bottleneck (although publishers want digital distribution to be the only choice in order to take away consumer ownership rights, save them money, easier to instal drm, etc).

This is also the reason the N64 stuck with cartridges (it was much faster at loading data then the ps1 was), although the storage of the disks was to big of an advantage and cost Nintendo big time.
        Jun 4, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    13. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
      You know, when you leave your dogs in 3x3 kennels for 95+% of their lives, only taking them out to go hunting and come barreling out of your house to scream at, kick and berate the dogs for having the audacity of barking when they are all chained and are literally allowed nothing else to do on a regular basis you might be a jackass.

Making matters worse the police won't do anything about it, apparently there is nothing illegal about any of what's described above, it's just unsavory and the cops time is better spent flying around in helicopters searching for tiny pot farms and sitting at the bottom of busy, hilly roadways trying to catch people speeding to pay for said helicopters.

I'm about a beer, a toke or a childish dare away from going over to my mom's neighbor's house and kidnapping half a dozen bluetick coonhounds right now. To bad I don't drink or smoke anymore...
      1. 3 people like this.
      3. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
           That might make a media spectacle out of it all. Maybe the guy would surrender his dogs to end the tirade but once the spectacle was over the dogs would likely be put down (I'm sorry PC Police, their 'suffering would be ended', better?) and they'd move onto the next 'animal atrocity' they could find, rinse and repeat. I've been there, and participated in that, they don't just put down animals with cancerous growths and broken spines, whatever their websites might say to the contrary. PETA from my experiences is an organization for people who like to hate, rant and fight, who just happen to use protection of animals as an excuse to do so. The saddest part is that they bring in legitimate animal lovers with their mantras and crap and have them really believing they are a positive force for a while until they end up doing things they just can't stomach or lie to themselves about anymore.

I am currently contacting a couple of shelters though, trying to find places I can take the dogs one at a time where they'll have a hope at finding a better home. It's not like the inattention of local authorities means that nothing can be done here(the biggest problem is that the jackass ignores his dogs most of the time after all :p ), sometimes you just have to act on your convictions, no matter how inconvenient that might be. Unfortunately the quickest fixes are rarely the right ones for the situation at hand and oftentimes are merely mental blinders erected so we can tell ourselves we did our parts without actually doing anything of substance.
        Jun 3, 2016
        2 people like this.
      4. Allusion
        Allusion
        This is terrible...

If you can, maybe try catching the acts on video or with pictures--show that to animal rescue, and you should have a pretty good case. I hope something can help those poor dogs. :(
        Jun 3, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      5. Uzuki
        Uzuki
        @Alexander Amnell I can respect that. There's nothing worse then seeing an animal/human in pain and there's nothing, legally, that we can do to help. I hope you get them out of there. Just make sure that you don't do anything too crazy.

Or at the very least don't get caught  :p
        Jun 3, 2016
        1 person likes this.
    14. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
      I just discovered that MV has different editor themes, and more importantly the dark theme. My eyes thank whoever it was that came up with that particular gem.
      1. 1 person likes this.
      2. AwesomeCool
        AwesomeCool
        Dat is dark bro.

Like some Nightwish song dark.
        May 31, 2016
    15. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         Why is it that people are capable of being completely exhausted, yet completely unwilling to sleep at the same time? A frustratingly, cruelly real contradiction after 60+ hours without sleep.
      1. 3 people like this.
      3. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
        @Uzuki My condolences, hopefully you're already asleep by now.

@Ms Littlefish: Unfortunately the sun is up now, so I'll have to power through the day now and hopefully pass out around 7ish...if I don't I'll have to turn to heavy-duty medication which I don't like taking but will surely be badgered into taking if I'm not asleep by then.
        May 20, 2016
      4. Dark_Metamorphosis
        Dark_Metamorphosis
        Sounds pretty neat, and frustrating at the same time xD

Would love to be able to be up 60 hours without sleep, so much work I could do on my game and play games :o  I cant be up 24 hours without becoming a zombie.
        May 20, 2016
      5. Ms Littlefish
        Ms Littlefish
        Yeah, it's pretty much impossible for me to sleep when the sun is up. Medication is there for when you need it. No one wants to take something and maybe it won't be necessary, but at this point of it could definitely come in handy.
        May 20, 2016
    16. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         There aren't many things as euphoric as coming across a song you hadn't heard in years when you're in the mood to sing along.

Unfortunately nothing kills that euphoria faster than when you sing the wrong verse, then realize immediately both that the radio had replaced that verse and that there was a reason you'd not listened to that particular song in years.
      1. 1 person likes this.
      3. mlogan
        mlogan
        There's nothing like a new perspective on the songs you enjoy than listening to them in front of your children.
        May 16, 2016
        2 people like this.
      4. Iliketea
        Iliketea
        Wait, who the hell censors SONGS?!
        May 16, 2016
        2 people like this.
      5. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
        @mlogan Children just change your perspective entirely, and in ways you'd never have imagined before.

@IliketeaNot me, clearly.
        May 16, 2016
        3 people like this.
    17. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         Game of thrones has finally outpaced the books that inspired it. I knew it would happen, adapting a book series to a television one while it's still unfinished is not the greatest of ideas, especially not when the author takes an average of 3-6 years to publish in the first place.

What's really interesting is how so many people are suddenly upset with the man for missing his deadlines, been reading the books and living with the slowness for nearly twenty years and all of a sudden because a tv show exists a bunch of people lose there sheep over something so predictable it might as well have been carved in stone on the walls of fate.
      1. 1 person likes this.
      3. Todeswalzer
        Todeswalzer
        Apparently George R R Martin has told the people who make the TV show the basic story of how he plans it to go so that they have an idea about the direction he is taking it in order to give them a baseline to work with in their writing for the show.
        May 15, 2016
      4. AwesomeCool
        AwesomeCool
        @Todeswalzer - So the show is going to deviate from the book now?

That is not a good sign imo.
        May 16, 2016
      5. Todeswalzer
        Todeswalzer
        Or he's gonna be a lazy ass and use whatever the show writers write to finish his book...
        May 16, 2016
    18. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         Why is steam selling movies now? Like there aren't enough outlets catering to that.

Saw Cabin in the Woods and got real excited thinking it was going to be some sort of game based on the movie where you play as one of the guys tormenting the hapless horror movie teens or something(doesn't that sound fun?) and was really disappointed to realize it was merely the actual movie from a couple years ago.

Not a fan of every service trying to have a finger in every pie these days.
      1. 3 people like this.
      3. AwesomeCool
        AwesomeCool
        @taarna23 - I noticed that to.

And physical movies are the only type of movie I will buy.

If I want to outright buy it, I would not want a digital service that would someday go down (and the data lost forever).

Sure physical discs do not last forever, but they can last a very, very long time if taken care of (My Genesis and Game Gear are still in perfect condition).

Plus, digital outlets rotate out old movies and with physical media getting rare, it would be harder to get then.
        May 4, 2016
        2 people like this.
      4. Euphony
        Euphony
        That game would be amazeballs.
        May 4, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      5. Hollow 1977
        Hollow 1977
        I am still waiting for Wal-Mart to buy up all the grocery chains. Hope it does not happen. But Verizon and Brighthouse were bought out so it could still happen. ;_;
        May 4, 2016
    19. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         Weird News this morning:

The calm, matter-of-fact manner of this little guy makes me feel really sad inside, glad he only clipped the crook in the leg, and hope national news doesn't make a complete spectacle out of it.
      1. AwesomeCool
        AwesomeCool
        you dream the impossible.

Expect riots and stupidity there for a week.
        May 3, 2016
        3 people like this.
      2. Saltwater Croc
        Saltwater Croc
        Good for him! The guy deserved it for tying to steal from them, and MORE THAN ONCE???

Gimme a break!
        May 3, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      3. AwesomeCool
        AwesomeCool
        @Saltwater Croc - If only the media around here would feel the same way.  The media already talked about the "evil" guy that shot down a neighbors drone spying on his underage daughter sunbathing in the back yard (omg he could of hurt that guys possession!!!).

I already saw a few sites calling the kid a bad person (The homeless man was only trying to live! Parents are teaching there kids to shoot homeless people now? Oh look, more parents that do not deserve kids. etc)

*sigh* I wish news outlets actually post both sides of the news and let people decide for themselves who is in the right or wrong (not exclude, mention and/or manipulate facts to present the story they want to happen).

I still remember how news outlets changed the actual race of someone to present a white vs. black story.
        May 3, 2016
    20. Alexander Amnell
      Alexander Amnell
         You know, it's bad enough IMO that schools are basically teaching kids to beg money off of their tax-paying loved ones in order to fund deficiencies within their own school district (fundraisers) even after more than 60% of the entire State Budget is earmarked for education (not to mention the state is among the lowest ten in the nation when it comes to education quality, albeit we fund education more than anyone, in a nation that can only boast to having the wealthiest education system around though fails in actually teaching compared to...pretty much anywhere)

But then to have your huge 70 dollar coupon books advertising many a chain-store only valid in a specific one of those chains somewhere deep in Birmingham where me and my family never goes and not bother to disclose that little tidbit of information except within the coupon book itself (which you can't see unless the school has already gotten your 70 bucks).

Next time my cousin's kids come around with their newest fundraiser, I'm just going to have to tell them I'm not interested I guess, it's despicable to me that these jackdaws use children to tug at the purse-strings and make a quick buck, even more so when every dayum budget they lose their minds over the new earmarked money and give across the board raises because "we have a surplus" while allowing the general budget to fall into 20+ million dollar arrears.

I'm no education expert but when fully 1/3 of high school students are GRADUATING HIGH SCHOOL FUNCTIONALLY ILLITERATE then these teachers not only don't deserve across the board raises, clearly a good many of them should be outright fired and replaced, along with the Board of Education in it's entirety.
      1. 1 person likes this.
      3. mlogan
        mlogan
        I don't disagree with you for the most part. If I didn't think the system was broken, I wouldn't be homeschooling my own kids.

But, as someone with a teaching degree and who has worked in public schools and whose mother taught for 40+ years in the public school, it's frustrating to hear it all come back on the teachers, most of whom are trying to fight the systems you mention just to be able to do their jobs and help kids. But really, if you feel so strongly about it, stop ranting here and do something about it. Get on your local school board, start some initiatives to change things. (And I hope you know that I say this as a friend, I'm not angry, just bothered that teachers, most of whom work so dayum hard, get the flack for bad policies made by others.)
        Apr 25, 2016
        1 person likes this.
      4. taarna23
        taarna23
        @mlogan I think what showed me how bad it was was a link (that I no longer have) of a teacher's resignation letter. She outlined things like HERSELF getting called into a principal's office and having it demanded of her why some of her students were failing. These were the sorts that would rarely show up and never do homework. She was told these students CAN NOT fail the grade. She was forced to give out Cs to students that did nothing. There was a lot more in the multi-page letter, but it was just dayum depressing to read. My daughter has even abandoned her desire to be a teacher, knowing she can always teach whatever other trade she learns. It's not good when even the students can see how bad it is and don't want to be part of it.
        Apr 25, 2016
        3 people like this.
      5. Alexander Amnell
        Alexander Amnell
        @taarna23That is at the heart of my anger as well, the good teachers are literally being run off with bad policy, the same bad policy that keeps it's hand constantly out begging for more funding and that we simply cannot seem to get rid of. They drive the good teachers off, yet every time we try to get any reforms done (I've volunteered on three separate campaigns for education reform by the way, all of which ended in failure.) they mass email all the teachers with sad stories of how we are trying to 'strip the education budget bare and reduce them all to servile laborers' when in reality we're just trying to get rid of the people at the top, but the people at the top stir the middlemen into a frenzy against those of us on the outside and use them as a shield to protect themselves and no matter what we do we can't seem to get any traction going, meanwhile our kids all have to learn to cope with the consequences of navigating a crooked system that does not have their best interest at heart, no matter how many teachers they might have that do.
        Apr 25, 2016
        1 person likes this.
  • About

Birthday:
    Jul 15, 1985 (Age: 34)
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Chibi by Amysaurus/Qtipi

Camping, Riding horses, wandering the woods, shooting(target, plinking and skeet) but not hunting, writing and making games.

Interact