Arcmagik
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I am entirely to hung up on graphics... Part of me just wants to throw in the Tile Change plugin into MV and use 2K3 char/chipsets!
    I am surprised that no one has suggested going back to the "Unlimited Tileset" from RMXP's era yet.
    Reactions: fiddlesticks
    Archeia
    Archeia
    By the way, it's not the engine core that is open source. It's Just the game player :)
    Hudell
    Hudell
    Well, that's what I call the engine core.
    Archeia
    Archeia
    I think that would be more understandable if the engine didn't have a graphical interface.
    I did more work in a random 15 minute period yesterday then I was able to do all weekend on a map. What is that?!?!
    Arcmagik
    Arcmagik
    Maybe I should going into every dev session with a plan other than what I really want to work on... That way when I get distracted from the database I'll map instead! Haha
    Game Development is hard. Anyone that tells you otherwise is either superhuman genius or a liar.
    Lee Sang
    Lee Sang
    When we know how to do things, it's not gonna be a hard or easy problem anymore, it's gonna be what takes less time and what takes more time.
    SimProse
    SimProse
    Yep, best to move on when you get stuck like that and come back later. Trust me, in my 20+ years as an indie dev, i've gotten 'stuck' more times than I can count.
    Arcmagik
    Arcmagik
    I was thinking of setting myself time limits like "If no significant progress has been made than move on to task b."
    Finally back to work on some RM stuff... but I can still feel that hesitation from where I burned out... just in the back of my mind, "Do you really want to be doing this? You can waste that time somewhere else..."

Yes, brain. I want to be doing this!
    Kes
    Kes
    Pacing, that's the important thing.  Good luck with your project.
    Life is fun... life is fun... life is fun. Well... I am circling the forums again after a short hiatus. After six months in deep I burned out a bit when I came up against the holiday stress... but I am slowly working my way back into things. Time to reestablish habits... or learn something. I dunno... but I will be on the fringes here again.
    For as little time as I had last night... I actually felt productive. That is a couple days in a row now that I felt productive with my stuff. It only took the month of October! -_-
    Not getting a Game Jam game together in time. Alas it was fun to "try" aka I got to work on it for 4 hours in two weeks -_-.
    For some reason RMW and my phone don't like each other more specifically when I am trying to type stuff in. It hangs and lags which is weird... oh well.
    bgillisp
    bgillisp
    Might be the phone. Mine hangs on about every website now. then again, mine is also over 3 years old, and was ancient when I got it too.
    Arcmagik
    Arcmagik
    That's the thing. It is just RMW so I  am not sure. Even stranger is now it's not doing it.
    Everytime I look at these old rm2k/3 games I am continually impressed on how they pulled stuff off without scripting... Common Events, man, Common Events.
    HexMozart88
    HexMozart88
    I know! Like, I want to do that as much as possible in my game, and in my Game Jam entry my HUDs and menus and stuff are going to be evented. I have to hurry up with the UI though.  
    Arcmagik
    Arcmagik
    I was thinking about doing the exact same thing for my Game Jam.
    jupitersdaughter
    jupitersdaughter
    true! though scripting it can be more efficient and increase performance. Eventing does allow for more customization for non-programmers, though!
    Well... playing around with 32-px grid size in MV and Mack Sprites... fun times.
    Arcmagik
    Arcmagik
    And now I am playing around with Time Fantasy and Alpha ABS... This game is going to be awesome! lol
    To Game Jam or not to Game Jam... that is the question.

If I do I think I might go ahead and see if I can combo Alpha ABS with a different grid size so I can use VX Ace resources but still use MV's Engine!
    mlogan
    mlogan
    Yeah, just an excuse to make something quick. :D
    Vox Novus
    Vox Novus
    Well if you do a jam project, you definitely want to focus your attention on it as much as possible and not get caught up with things like feature creep or just adding extra parts to the story, etc...Time and how you use it is really important. Having playtesters around helps a lot to because you can work on things while sections are playtested. 

If you genuinely have the time for it and aren't currently working on something I think they are beneficial to do, especially since they will get you to make a game you probably wouldn't think to make otherwise.

I know one thing, I prefer my game jam on game toast (gluten-free game toast, that is).

HexMozart88
    HexMozart88
    Ah, feature creeps. We're all guilty of it. The thread says DLC is allowed, but can we also use custom scripts and stuff? And can we make fangames? (Not technically ripping if you made the resources yourself.
    I do absolutely enjoy discussing Suikoden fangames... perhaps to much considering that fangames are such a gray area and can get shut down pretty quickly if they get popular... but heck I'll live on the wild side!
    richter_h
    richter_h
    Agreed.

Well, if you want to make it but have some legal stuffs in your concern, try around the way. Spiritual succession, influence, inspiration, you name it. When the worst comes, you can blame the one who let the title withered away... or just ignore it.  :p

Been tempted with the idea and implemented it as well. Every minute spent well.
    Plueschkatze
    Plueschkatze
    Yeah~ someday(!) I'll do an rpg in the scale of suikoden (and strongly influenced by it, since suikoden is one of my greates influences of all time).

I'd go with "strongly inspired by" aswell. Do a project that FEELS like a suikoden without using characters or places from the original series. (Or naming the runes, runes)

Let something new yet familiar grow from the love you have for the series.
    Arcmagik
    Arcmagik
    Yeah that's definitely what I'm working on with my personal projects but I did manage to get myself on a team that was working on a fan game which prompted a discussion of other directions that a Suikoden fangame could take/be set. Thus the theorycrafting led me to this status update.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

You know what really grinds my gears? Websites that block your access completely if you have an AdBlocker on...

I would rather skip the site than endure some popups that may give me a gnarly virus!
Guys this thread is so good and you should be reading it.
Once again have another case of an Android user losing all of their save files for all of my games after a single game update. Apparently even Yanfly's Save Core can't prevent it. Very frustrating.
Question! If anyone here has any of the Time Fantasy tiles, or the Omega Modern one, do they include character templates/bases/whatever the term is?
Had to edit the water tiles of Jason Perry's (final boss blues) beach tile set. I'm an animator now. :guffaw:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oracle509