Recent content by arekpowalan

1. arekpowalan

How do you guys come up with fantasy names?

Mythical names usually can be traced for their origins and aren't just coming from nowhere. Tolkien, for example, based most of the things in his novel from Norse mythology. The allegory to Norse myth is also related to the themes of the original myth and how he portrayed his characters: the...
  2. arekpowalan

Assets: Better to make your own?

If you do a non-commercial or a training project, you can do whatever you want. My first crappy Rm2k3 project used all sorts of SNES rips that came bundled with the Thai translated Rm2k3 package to compensate for my lack of skill in spriting and composing. It was fun despite the horrible...
  3. arekpowalan

[RPG Maker MV] Damage Formula for 3-digit HP battle system

The default RPG Maker MV uses a 4-digit HP battle system where your characters go up to 9999 HP and 999 stats. As such the default formula for damage formula for attacks, skills, and healing spells have been designed to accommodate Final Fantasy-like games. However, I would like to make a game...
  4. arekpowalan

"This is great for an RPG Maker game"

The main issue is that many people make cheap games and put them on Steam. There are hundred of games being post there and most of them either look the same or use sexy images to sell the games instead of presenting interesting games. On the other hand, Kemco were infamous for pumping out dozen...
  5. arekpowalan

Things to avoid in your game

Losing health by doing for minor actions Lunar Dragon Song achieved one of the most mind-boggling penalties by not only limiting your running stamina, but also reducing HP when the character becomes tired. Not only this doesn't make sense for an adventurer, but it makes navigating towns and...
  6. arekpowalan

Can you interpret these personalities into Zodiac Signs?

I would like to have answers to the following assessment. These 12 people exhibit traits that may or may not represent characteristics or symbolism of the western zodiac signs (Aries to Pieces). If there's anybody who is well-verse in astrology or literary symbolism, please see if these people...
  7. arekpowalan

Can I tint the screen without tinting events?

I have been trying to use "Tint Screen..." command to create an atmospheric dungeon when I get into a problem: As the screen turns dark, the player character as well as anything that should be visible for exploration are also darkened. While I don't mind darkened area, I don't want the player...
  8. arekpowalan

Fleeing from battles(And their consequences)

The natural consequence of fleeing a battle is not getting EXP and money. I did that all the time when I was a kid and I had problems beating bosses and buying equipment. In case of Final Fantasy IV, I also lost chunks of cash for running. Trying to run away in itself is also a bad idea in some...
  9. arekpowalan

Dungeons. What are your dungeons like and how do you handle them?

I have revisited multiple JRPG and adventure games lately and tried to find some patterns. - The first few dungeons should not be too complex or too large. The player is only introduced to the game, and they need to have easy ways to navigate the place/getting used to the mechanic. The...
  10. arekpowalan

How can I compare multiple variables at once?

I've tried caethyril's solution and it works. I'm quite new to coding, so I may need to look more into it. Thank you very much.
  11. arekpowalan

How can I compare multiple variables at once?

First, let me elaborate. I am doing an event where when a specific dialogue appears based on the competition of multiple variables for the highest or a specific ranking. This is because my game is operated by a dating sim mechanic with an "affection point". For example, when cut scene plays to...
  12. arekpowalan

Rules Ideas That Don’t Deserve Their Own Thread

The first option is likely the case. I don't have much time to spend on a hobby, therefore I would like to make a rather swift project. The game is supposed to be extremely magical. The mermaid tribe will be able to move and fight temporary on the land, whereas the one warrior representing the...
  13. arekpowalan

I am making a coming-of-age story about a knight, but I have a problem finding a starting point. Please hear me out. Story: Arthur is a son of a blacksmith in a small village. He has a restless and prodigious younger brother named Lance, who serves as his rival, and he has a father who is a...
  14. arekpowalan

@SunStunBros If it's a starting village, it shouldn't be too large. Probably a single map the player can walk around and maybe one or two event-related maps. You can look at most of the 16 bit JRPGs to see examples of the starting villages. In addition, countryside village and city in don't...
  15. arekpowalan

What do you feel about religious undertones in games?

JRPG always has this undertone about god and predestined fate being bad things. The most common framework is the typical modern cultural hegemony things. The most cliche message is "Humans need to shape its own fate." The most preachy is probably the Final Fantasy and the Tales series, but are...

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stuffing three people in a room and thinking they'll study together is so wrong XD I don't get how people do group studies. We just end up gossiping about everything except studying lol
Been parallax mapping nigh all night. :D
2nd character based on the same random inputs
the coffee shop i go to for open mic every friday only has 2 more open mics left and then they're done :'( i'm gonna die!
Everytime someone says Intel "kabylake" I hear either baby lake or ladycake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unisity