Beckx
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• animated message windows <3
    or message window that uses background images that can be animated?
    Still need to fix some things, but it's going great so far :)
    CEPjLJn.gif
    For anyone interested: there's another huge humble bundle with JRPG assets + a game jam starting next month - it's for a good cause, so check it out <3
    I got the pause Icon to use 6 frames instead of 4, PLUS it goes: top 1-2-3, bottom 1-2-3. And everything just by playing around with the code & i think i've figured the important parts out now <3
    eUuH09A.gif

ps. the animation isn't as "wonky" in RL, stupid recording -.-
    Beckx
    Beckx
    next up:
    • independent source file (just edited Window.png)
    • flexible sprite-size, either set in plugin, or dynamically (not sure how yet, fixed row count, or filename)
    • flexible x and y position
    The "docs" are honestly soo frustrating. Eg. positionType : "Returns the current position type of the message window." Yes, great. could you please also tell me if 0 was bottom or top, so i don't have to start a playtest to see, because i keep forgetting it all the time, and what are the docs even for, if not that? (it's top btw...)
    Beckx
    Beckx
    but for comparison, a better example, this is everything i want, lol:
    "Sets the background of the message window; options are 0 (fully opaque), 1 (transparent), 2 (invisible background). The default is 0."
    Beckx
    Beckx
    I'm the kind of person that reads the documentation when they start working with a new language / feature /whatever, to get a better understanding of what i can or can't do and coming from that point of view the docs give me nothing
    gstv87
    gstv87
    I had to rebuild a Window object from scratch by throwing instructions at the code and seeing what stuck.
    ....so... yeah.... I feel you.
    Oh, wow!
    6VDEms4.png

Still need one or two "placeholder" asset things and then I'm venturing into custom windows + menus!
    (I'm a little scared, lol)
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    I mean yeah, if I was looking for a face and found one. I'd be excited too. Or if I didn't have one, and suddenly did... Well I might actually be super weirded out at first, but then eventually I'd be excited. I mean unless my first view was of Twitter or something, then I'd be quite unhappy I suddenly had a face. :LZSwink:
    Beckx
    Beckx
    okay, so I'm a little less scared about custom windows now :D Just been tweaking around some numbers here and there to see where i am, and i think i'm gonna manage :)
    GKyViqF.png
    Beckx
    Beckx
    I'll probably use or rather overwrite the classic top/middle/bottom positioning, too. In combination with the background stuff i can have some more variation in my message boxes without a bunch of plugin calls. This definitely needs going inside a plugin though :D
    Some more progress <3 and in most important news:
    ALPACARAPTOR SPRITE! (not animated yet, though :( )
    h4u90Sz.png
    Beckx
    Beckx
    this could also worsen over time, so you'd have easier enemies in the beginning, where they'd be mostly like their normal versions and after you level up those corruption could've manifested some more, making them stronger too
    Kes
    Kes
    Just a thought, but some birds that eat nuts and seeds have beaks like that. Look up some of the finches. So although they are not herbivores (plants) they don't have to be meat eaters either.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Or, they're like most animals in our world, and are opportunistic carnivores. Sure, they might not go hunting for prey, but if something small and alive crosses their path, or they stumble upon a fresh carcass, they won't say no to some tasty-tasty meat. Ever seen that video of a horse eating a chick? Many animals we think of as herbivores will eat flesh if given the chance. :p
    Reactions: Finnuval
    I'm thinking about opening a "game in development" thread, though i'm not entirely sure yet. It's still really early in development, and most i have to show are assets or really chaotic map WIPs. There is a lot of story +the world itself though, and i struggle with converting all of my notes into readable text, and a thread might help...?
    Beckx
    Beckx
    it would also be great to have a few more words to explain the stuff that i have plus my profile posts would get way less spammy, lol :D
    Featherbrain
    Featherbrain
    That sounds like plenty to get a thread started. Come to think of it, I should make one, too...
    E7DsT3VXsAInVpu

working on my avatar, because i couldn't stand looking at it anymore :D
    still not finished though...
    alpacaraptors = love!
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    Are both heads controlled by the same creature, or are they two unique entities, two different brains, that are connected to a single body?
    Beckx
    Beckx
    another thing i haven't decided completely yet, lol. i guess it's something in the middle, but more leaning towards one entity, but where the heads sometimes *seem* to be having different personalities.
    think like dolphins (?) shut down half their brain while they sleep + snails /chameleons moving their eyes seperately
    Beckx
    Beckx
    plus the crazy stuff even in humans, where the halfs of the brain are disconnected and *seem* to work independently (or rather that the one half doesn't know what the other is doing).
    Like, because they're really skittish, it could happen that one head hits the other and causes a mild panic attack or something :D
    Reactions: Kes
    i don't have a windows machine at hand right now... could you please maybe start including linux builds? i want to play your games, too :(
    Beckx
    Beckx
    oh, and the resulting files, that i'd get:
    FasVPhk.png

But oh well. i know the pain to port to other devices and systems, and just thought it was a option that people maybe simply forgot to add. never thought it wasn't even an option to begin with :(
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Yeah what actually forced me to come back to Windows from Linux was RM. The time and effort to test an exported version was just super high. Couple that with the poor Linux support in MV and the nonexistent support in MZ, and I pretty much got sunk cost fallacy-ed into staying with Windows. Lutris is pretty amazing though, I was able to get everything besides the most obscure of Windows stuff working with it.
    ImaginaryVillain
    ImaginaryVillain
    Most if it was just install and go. The only things I couldn't get to work were stuff like QMap and QSprite, their side programs just didn't play well with Linux, and MZ windows exports. Also for whatever reason Comcast Xfinity open hotspots don't work either. Everything else worked, and that was over a year ago. By now who knows, you might get lucky. :LZSexcite:
    I'm running out of ideas for stuff to fill my mystical forest map (besides way more trees. lol)... Any ideas? ;D

E61ymswXsAcFZil
    I'm currently doing a complete revamp of my assets. Haven't been that far into actually developing the game (still in planning phase mostly), so at least i don't lose too much work :guffaw: . Still a WIP, but i like where this is going:
    nekwp3r.png
    Finished for now :)
    Wz7spe7.png
    Kes
    Kes
    Nice, but that little dark dot on the end of the nose of the female on the left looks odd, because the tip of the nose would still be lighter than the part between the nostrils. It makes it look like she has a wart there - though perhaps she does?
    • Haha
    Reactions: Beckx
    Beckx
    Beckx
    haha, no, that's just the way i draw noses :D without the color it didn't look that strange, but i should probably remove some of the lines :D
    Just a little sign of life from my part. Had some bad stuff happen in my family and had to take some time off :(
    I did work a little on the overall character designs though and here's a little sketch for a potential title screen :)
    lK4TQ8p.png
    I bought Rimworld last week and i have to say: between "normal" work and my newest addiction, it's hard to get anything else done :D
    Currently sketching out my intro scene :) There'll be a few more seconds added where the start village is revealed / maybe a little bit more convo, though i want to keep it as short as possible, so we'll see :D
    bAWsQpg.gif
    Beckx
    Beckx
    The order in which I'm working on my project's tasks is total wack by the way....
    oh well, at least things are getting done, lol
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I've always liked seeing these really rough drafts of animations. They remind me of those flipbook animations.
    Beckx
    Beckx
    yeah, me too! Often times those sketches and drafts are also what inspires me most. Idk, seeing a finished video you sometimes lose the feeling of how it was made and maybe are just stunned and in awe and maybe a little discouraged. With sketches i often feel like "hey you know, i can actually do something like that, too!" :D
    TDD4o3E.gif

Because it will be ages until i finish this animation, here's a WIP :)
    It's supposed to be a fly-thingy for 1-2 persons. there's also lore why the machinery can fly and why it has the form of a whale / or other ocean creatures, too lol.
    Animation is 31 frames long, and "hand-drawn" (digitally) + animated with Pencil2d
    Beckx
    Beckx
    fun fact: those fly things where the very first thing i drew for my world. I didn't even knew back then that there would be a world where they could belong too, lol
    I just kept making up stuff why they'd be able to fly 'n stuff and then boom! world creation :guffaw:
    Finnuval
    Finnuval
    well its how I make my worlds too... starts with a weird little art thing then it grows so... yeah nothing weird here xD
    PixeLockeT
    PixeLockeT
    I know the pain of animation tedium. XD But like Finnuval says, it's worth it especially when you want to go for a particular animating style. A few frames could use couple more in-between as it seems jittery (esp around the tail movement), but other than that this is super solid.
    So, i started planning what I'd need to build plugin-wise to achieve what i want for my game. developing those isn't a problem and i want to create my own. but i'd like to brainstorm a little eg. about which "classes" to use / change / etc. to get the best results., since there are a few different ways to achieve what i want. I'm not 100% sure which place would be the best for that? JS / Plugin Support ?
    Shaz
    Shaz
    JS/Plugin Support is more if you need help actually writing the plugin. Sounds like you're talking more about design. I'd put it either into General Discussion, or Game Mechanics Design - I'd probably lean more towards General Discussion.
    My laptop got splashed with water (not by me) so now a whole weekend of progress is going to be lost, while it sits there and i'll have to hope everything is working again on monday. Currently only the T and z aren't working so at least there's hope. my Phone is a brick though, so see you monday i guess. This is not my day.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Here in Fla were are seeing crazy covid spikes and some vaccinated getting bad infections. I had a mild fever on Thurs but it went down fast. How is everyone else doing. Hopefully you are all well. :)
Wish I was better at art, specifically that I was faster at it, bc this one NPC took Several Days to complete! It's gonna take So Extremely Long to do all of the art for my game, never mind writing it... Anyways, here's my gorgon, Hopernica Sthyxis!

57b88732c7abbcd84981dacf624a98495af61fcc.gifv
Idk if this is my ADHD or if it's a common problem. But I cant stay motivated for anything. I want to work on so many different things at once. Game dev, skateboarding, ranking up in League, playing OSRS, fitness, nutrition, relationships. It's like, where do I even begin?
Well. Looks like I need to redo the entire battle system in order to have the things I want in it. Also I'd like to say that console.log() is the greatest function in Javascript XD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hibixon