Beckx
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I bought Rimworld last week and i have to say: between "normal" work and my newest addiction, it's hard to get anything else done :D
    Currently sketching out my intro scene :) There'll be a few more seconds added where the start village is revealed / maybe a little bit more convo, though i want to keep it as short as possible, so we'll see :D
    bAWsQpg.gif
    Beckx
    Beckx
    The order in which I'm working on my project's tasks is total wack by the way....
    oh well, at least things are getting done, lol
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I've always liked seeing these really rough drafts of animations. They remind me of those flipbook animations.
    Beckx
    Beckx
    yeah, me too! Often times those sketches and drafts are also what inspires me most. Idk, seeing a finished video you sometimes lose the feeling of how it was made and maybe are just stunned and in awe and maybe a little discouraged. With sketches i often feel like "hey you know, i can actually do something like that, too!" :D
    TDD4o3E.gif

Because it will be ages until i finish this animation, here's a WIP :)
    It's supposed to be a fly-thingy for 1-2 persons. there's also lore why the machinery can fly and why it has the form of a whale / or other ocean creatures, too lol.
    Animation is 31 frames long, and "hand-drawn" (digitally) + animated with Pencil2d
    Beckx
    Beckx
    fun fact: those fly things where the very first thing i drew for my world. I didn't even knew back then that there would be a world where they could belong too, lol
    I just kept making up stuff why they'd be able to fly 'n stuff and then boom! world creation :guffaw:
    Finnuval
    Finnuval
    well its how I make my worlds too... starts with a weird little art thing then it grows so... yeah nothing weird here xD
    Reactions: Beckx
    PixeLockeT
    PixeLockeT
    I know the pain of animation tedium. XD But like Finnuval says, it's worth it especially when you want to go for a particular animating style. A few frames could use couple more in-between as it seems jittery (esp around the tail movement), but other than that this is super solid.
    So, i started planning what I'd need to build plugin-wise to achieve what i want for my game. developing those isn't a problem and i want to create my own. but i'd like to brainstorm a little eg. about which "classes" to use / change / etc. to get the best results., since there are a few different ways to achieve what i want. I'm not 100% sure which place would be the best for that? JS / Plugin Support ?
    Shaz
    Shaz
    JS/Plugin Support is more if you need help actually writing the plugin. Sounds like you're talking more about design. I'd put it either into General Discussion, or Game Mechanics Design - I'd probably lean more towards General Discussion.
    My laptop got splashed with water (not by me) so now a whole weekend of progress is going to be lost, while it sits there and i'll have to hope everything is working again on monday. Currently only the T and z aren't working so at least there's hope. my Phone is a brick though, so see you monday i guess. This is not my day.
    I don't know about you, but today the covid frustration is seriously getting to me. Haven't really seen many of my friends for two years, since i moved towns the year before this all started, and well, i miss them :(
    so, here's a cute alpacaraptor sketch to heighten the mood:
    W7Fhp9n.png
    Lornsteyn
    Lornsteyn
    I hope we keep the masks when its over, like in asia if you are sick.
    The mask wearing also helps me with my socialphobia.^^
    Beckx
    Beckx
    and with those annoying "why don't you smile more" comments! :D
    i also hope the awareness that you probably shouldn't be drinking from the same bottle when you're sick or the other person has the cold or something will be kept.
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    I like the masks too. lol. But, yeah, we did some pretty gross and unhygenic things prior to the outbreak. I doubt it'll have a lasting effect, though. You'll see a bit more awareness in the short term, but it won't be long before people return to their former selves.
    You know, having a project this big is kinda nice. I can procrastinate working on one part, while still progressing with another part :guffaw:
    Meowsticks
    Meowsticks
    I do this all the time. Don't feel like working on a particular thing? Well that's good there's at least twenty other things that need attention too, pick your favorite. :guffaw:
    • Haha
    BK-tdm
    BK-tdm
    Just dont forget about the poor alpacaraptors :p
    • Haha
    yay, i finally got around adding a profile pic! :guffaw:
    Beckx
    Beckx
    i want to make it official that alpacaraptor will forever be the working title for them! <3
    (it's unfortunately not fitting for the game setting, but i already have some ideas about some minigames :D )
    The Stranger
    The Stranger
    What's their actual name? I'm kinda hoping that even their lore name is really cute, like Puffy Birb. :p
    Beckx
    Beckx
    well, first of all, i reaaaally suck at names, basically nothing is named yet, although i'm working on the setting for what, eight years lol...
    so they don't really have one yet, but i'm tending more and more towards something short and simply like "Wol" :) although puffy bird definitely has its perks :D
    Generally speaking, would there be interest in some form of tutorial regarding general project management? I see there are a lot of indie/self-taught devs around here, and looking back i feel like there was a lack of resources on how to properly manage a project that might take several years to finish
    Sigony
    Sigony
    Project management subjects are very dry and unexciting, though they are helpful. I’m not sure if anyone could expect a lot of engagement on that unless you could make it shorter than your degree subjects.
    Beckx
    Beckx
    lol, yeah, i wasn't going teach everything they taught us in school, that would become boring SO fast :D
    i was more thinking about telling about the stuff that i still use in my day to day professional life. Like how to structure your tasks or how to go about finding out what your tasks even are. how much i love kanban boards, that kinda stuff, lol
    Sigony
    Sigony
    KanbanFlow is beastmode
    • Love
    dEj6ha4.png

WIP :)
    Added some cliffs / walls / roofs to the tilesheet and am currently working on roof objects to make them prettier and more variable. And of course, windows and doors that fit to the game's style.
    I also adjusted the grass color but i have some issues with my display, so if it looks weird, please let me know :)
    Beckx
    Beckx
    The thing is that i don't want to add too much detail to the grass and keep it fairly simply, as to not let it get too "disturbing" or "noisy"... i also need to figure out some base green that isn't annoying to the eye, lol.
    ugh, have i mentioned that i hate to paint digital green?
    Robert-Character Creator
    Robert-Character Creator
    I think that looks much better.
    • Love
    Finnuval
    Finnuval
    The new green shade looks better imo. My only concern is its similarity to the roof...
    • Love
    let me introduce you to my worlds source of "wool". A pretty simple-minded, easily scared and mostly blind, double-headed big wooly bird thingy :D Children may be able to ride on a trained one, but they don't support the weight of adults, so they aren't suitable for transportation. And herders use the shown tool to give them sound commands
    6nwyqEJ.png
    alice_gristle
    alice_gristle
    Looks like trouble to shear! I mean, instead of one mean beak to pick at you, there's TWO... What d'you call it?
    gstv87
    gstv87
    motion to rename it to "Wül", say 'aye'?
    Beckx
    Beckx
    They don't have a name yet, though instead of "Wül" I'd go with something like "Wol" or such? Don't want to use umlauts, lol.
    And yes, they're a lot of work to shear, though more because they're really skittish, not because they attack. Which is why the standard fabric is plant-based and wol-based ( lol) fabric is worth a lot more / has better stats :)
    Using MV here: can i move blocks around in the event page and i'm just too stupid to do it or does it only look like you should be able to do it and i would always need to cut and paste?
    Beckx
    Beckx
    yeah, that was my intention, just wanted to make sure that it even is something that i should be able to do beforehand, sorry!
    slimmmeiske2
    slimmmeiske2
    It's cut&paste btw. You can't move them around. (Sorry, I didn't answer before. I wasn't sure what you meant with blocks at first.)
    Beckx
    Beckx
    ah, thank you! well, then it's all working as it should be :)
    ddwk.png

working on the sprite for Devali <3
    Beckx
    Beckx
    oh wow, thank you so much! <3 Just an fyi though, it's not "real" pixelart per se, i drew it in the respecting size and stuff, but i let krita and my brush handle the dithering, because i suck at it and would otherwise spent ages on one sprite :D
    JacSkulls
    JacSkulls
    I know. :) I mean, not the Krita part. But even so, I really like how you colored it. And I know what you mean on one sprite. I'm still learning it, myself. I like that everyone has their own styles in arts. Like yours, for example, the way you drew the Anatomy of your char feels balanced.
    JacSkulls
    JacSkulls
    And the ears! I like how you did the ears for your char. When I draw chars, I always felt out of place if they don't have a big enough ear. Lol. Well, if you want to talk about art and whatnot, I always enjoy this kind of topic, feel free to chat with me in the chat thing.
    e8K8iHS.png

I need to focus on some other stuff for now, so i won't be working on the other expressions for a while, but i wanted to share anyway <3
    She also has a name now: Devali, or Dev(i) for short :)
    DaveTheArakin
    DaveTheArakin
    They look very nice! I also plan to transition into making character bust soon. :)

And by soon, it will probably be in six months time given my slow progress. :guffaw:
    Walldeaf
    Walldeaf
    These look really well done. I like the Angry one. OMG :kaojoy:
    Finnuval
    Finnuval
    Yeah the name fits her xD
    Good expressions on her to, very clear and clean.
    EQAQeW8.png

This was supposed to become her neutral talking stance, but now i just feel like she looks a little puzzled :D
    I'm also open for any name suggestions, as i seriously suck at those. In my notes everything is just THE CITY or THAT GUY and THIS PRIESTESS or whatever :D
    what are your favourite tools for asset creation? For pixelart i just love Aseprite (hyped for upcoming 1.3), but otherwise I'm currently at krita, which basically feels like a merge of Gimp and myPaint (all three are free + open source)
    Reactions: The Stranger
    Finnuval
    Finnuval
    Haha yeah Krita - especially for those of us with a more traditional background - is a godsend
    Beckx
    Beckx
    have you, by any chance, used the animation feature? i haven't yet and need to focus on other work right now, so i'm trying not to distract myself too much by diving into that, but i was wondering if it's any good? :D
    Finnuval
    Finnuval
    No i havent. Im not much of an animator haha
    Tho from what ive heard it is pretty solid and easy to work with but that's secondhand info so... Yeah
    time for some character sketching! I would love to give every NPC an unique appearance, but we'll see how that's going to work out :guffaw:
    Ptcsxhk.jpeg
    Meowsticks
    Meowsticks
    Good luck with that!! They look great so far! :) I also gave my NPCs unique appearances, but that was using the in-game character generator. I can't imagine drawing every single one. That's dedication.
    Beckx
    Beckx
    thank you! and honestly, I think i might need to build myself some generator plugin that works with my planned assets / art style + draw the fitting generator parts if i really want to achieve what i have in mind, lol. but fortunately for me, i'm still at the beginning and planning phase of everything, so i can focus on sketching some characters and storylines for now
    Finnuval
    Finnuval
    Some Nice little details on those. Great concepts overall
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Having fun in Orlando! We had a lot of fun at the arcade, even though I didn't win any jackpots this time, and then we went to Outback and got a Blooming Onion. Tomorrow we're driving to Fort Myers to see my stepmom.
Now that I have the XP RTP back, I was looking through the files and found Fighter 7, the inspiration for my first sona! She's evolved since then, but it gave me such nostalgia!
Character sprites are difficult to create so I decided to get/buy some. Got the Pixel Champions from Alexdraws. But It had no walking animation :/ But redid the free ones from the Mighty Pack <3 Turned out pretty good imo.Calistra.PNG
Tempted to come up with a unique spell naming system....But ''Fire Magic'' and ''Fire,Fira,Firaga'' are so easily recognizable :p
Yesterday I discovered that I can copy/paste multiple commands by holding shift. I tried this when I started developing holding ctrl and when it didn't work I just copied every single command one by one. For two years.

I am in heaven now.
All right, so lesson learned. No more complicated battle systems for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ItsCloxdy