bgillisp
Last Activity:
Apr 27, 2019 at 12:21 AM

Awarded Medals 2

Share This Page

bgillisp

Global Moderators, Male, from USA

Global Mod

You know you're bad at a strategy game when your empire is dead last in everything...and you are playing on Easy. Apr 26, 2019 at 10:34 PM

bgillisp was last seen:
Viewing latest content, Apr 27, 2019 at 12:21 AM
    1. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      You know you're bad at a strategy game when your empire is dead last in everything...and you are playing on Easy.
      1. Elliott404 likes this.
      2. View previous comments...
      3. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        Master of Orion (the remake) I actually curb stomped everyone on Easy. I should go back and try that on a harder setting.
        Apr 26, 2019 at 10:45 PM
      4. Poryg
        Poryg
        The remake is boring to be honest.
        Apr 26, 2019 at 10:55 PM
      5. OmnislashXX
        OmnislashXX
        The last game on Master of Orion for me was pretty easy. I avoided wars between the other factions, basically forming Alliances early on. And when the factions went to war ( not really actually fighting each other) I declined to break the Alliances with any of them. Then the vote came and I won hands down.
        Apr 26, 2019 at 11:11 PM
    2. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      So...sleepy....zzzzz....
      1. Kupotepo
        Kupotepo
        Is your semester teaching over, professor?
        Apr 26, 2019 at 6:15 AM
      2. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        Nope. 20 days left. Then I get 4 days off then summer term starts.
        Apr 26, 2019 at 11:02 AM
    3. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      22 days until this semester is over. Let the countdown begin.
      1. View previous comments...
      2. KaBlooZio
        KaBlooZio
        :( but this will be my last semester... its kind of hard to explain, but it'll be kind of hard to leave. It took my five years to get through it for my associates. I dont feel like I got much out of it though. A little unsure of what Im going to do next, what with everything thats going on.
        Apr 24, 2019 at 8:13 AM
      3. Kes
        Kes
        Ah yes, that countdown. Are you sure the semester won't be extended to make up for those 7 lost snow days?
        Apr 24, 2019 at 3:07 PM
      4. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        @Kes : Colleges can't extend the term. We had to make it up another way.
        Apr 24, 2019 at 8:58 PM
        MushroomCake28 likes this.
    4. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      So apparently there is a Steam game that if you buy all the DLC it will set you back...$8,509.04 US dollars.
      2. Wavelength
        Wavelength
        Awwww man! Why can't there be a game that pays ME $8509 when I buy it? :(
        Apr 20, 2019
        Finnuval and bgillisp like this.
      3. Kauzz
        Kauzz
        lol, how this game can be so expensive?
        Apr 20, 2019
      4. Kupotepo
        Kupotepo
        Thinking of the money that we do not have.
        Apr 20, 2019
    5. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      The surreal moment when you're beta testing your game and doing the sequence in the game where you beta test a game.
      1. OmnislashXX, djDarkX and SpaceBot like this.
      2. djDarkX
        djDarkX
        Beta Test-ception...
        Apr 18, 2019
        bgillisp likes this.
      3. OmnislashXX
        OmnislashXX
        When you testplay a Game cause you found a bug only to testplay it some more cause you found more bugs, then testplay it only to find the bug you thought you fixed needs fixing again.
        Apr 18, 2019
      4. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        I should have had it that I'm beta testing a game where I beta test a game where I beta test a game.
        Apr 18, 2019
    6. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      Octopath Traveler to the PC this June? Goodbye free time.
      1. Drifter92 and SpaceBot like this.
      3. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        Might still be worth it as square hasn't done too well on their last few PC ports
        Apr 18, 2019
        SpaceBot likes this.
      4. SpaceBot
        SpaceBot
        Very true. Hmmm
        Apr 18, 2019
      5. The Mighty Palm
        The Mighty Palm
        nightmare scenario: the spritework gets the FF4-6 mobile port treatment. They did that art dirty.
        Apr 18, 2019
        SpaceBot likes this.
    7. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      The worst part of playtesting is 20 - 25 hours of game time takes longer than 20 - 25 hours to test.
      2. Seacliff
        Seacliff
        Don't be like me and rush it. The last thing you want is to play a 20+ hour game that's bugged in a way to make the true ending impossible...
        Apr 17, 2019
      3. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        @Seacliff : Thankfully the true ending only depends on you getting one item and taking it to the final battle, and that has been tested by more than me.

@Bonkers : Yes.

BTW, my tester's final save was at almost 40 hours. 20 - 25 is my playtime through the game.
        Apr 17, 2019
      4. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        What I'm doing now is just making sure my fixes to what the tester found didn't add a new bug or 3.
        Apr 17, 2019
    8. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      Ever played a game and thought "I can do better than that?"
      1. Tw0Face and Finnuval like this.
      3. Mystic_Enigma
        Mystic_Enigma
        Yes, many times yes!
        Apr 15, 2019
      4. Sharm
        Sharm
        Usually it's "Ugh, they paid money for this pixel art? They should have hired a real pro. Grr, I wanna fix it!" Or "What kind of writer doesn't know not to do this?" As for the game itself, not usually. I'm too much of a newb with no skills.
        Apr 16, 2019
        Finnuval likes this.
      5. TheoAllen
        TheoAllen
        This is like my source of motivation every day.
        Apr 16, 2019
    9. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      How not to design a game #3: Make 526 NPC's with quests, but make them all generic and say lines not related to the quests.
      2. OmnislashXX
        OmnislashXX
        That sounds an awfully lot like Skyrim.
        Apr 14, 2019
      3. kirbwarrior
        kirbwarrior
        526 quests split up over 24 well made NPCs sounds far better. In fact, that could make for a very cool and in depth game where there are only 24 NPCs but with all the content that you'd expect in a large rpg.
        Apr 14, 2019
      4. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        @kirbwarrior : I'd take 24 quests over 24 well done NPC's at this point. At least the main plot is interesting though.
        Apr 14, 2019
    10. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      Tried alligator for dinner tonight. Had more of a kick than I expected.
      1. BadLittleSeed and MushroomCake28 like this.
      3. Philosophus Vagus
        Philosophus Vagus
        Bear is horrible however. Imagine the toughest, stringiest steak you've ever eaten and multiply the grease dripping off of it by 5 and you more or less know what a well-cooked bear tastes like.
        Apr 9, 2019
      4. Windows i7
        Windows i7
        @WhiteW humans are pretty much at the top of the food chain. If its alive, someone somewhere will eat it.
        Apr 9, 2019
      5. WhiteW
        WhiteW
        If alligator, snakes, bears, all of this is on the menu, I wonder when humans will make the chef's recommendation!
        Apr 10, 2019
    11. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      Monday morning forced windows update when we get to work. 14 minutes and counting
      1. Dreadshadow and Tw0Face like this.
      3. Poryg
        Poryg
        @Windows i7 Actually, since you can get a legit copy of Windows 10 for free (the not activated windows is fully functional, just pesks you around with activation and doesn't allow certain personalized settings), there's no real reason to pirate older OS's.
        Apr 8, 2019
      4. Poryg
        Poryg
        Of course unless your PC is years old, in which case it might not accept Windows 10 well.
        Nevertheless, I'm quite unburdened with updates nowadays. Having Win on SSD the updates usually take two minutes max.
        Apr 8, 2019
        Dreadshadow likes this.
      5. Dreadshadow
        Dreadshadow
        Widnows by default have stupid setting. You need to set them up properly. As for the updates, best solution is before going to sleep you should check for updates and let it do them. Learned that the hard way, when I had to wait for a 40 minutes, when I was on an on site support situation for a client. Ever since, I am extra careful.
        Apr 9, 2019
    12. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      So sleepy today and got to teach a class soon. Send coffee
      1. MushroomCake28 and Knighteriius like this.
      3. Ms Littlefish
        Ms Littlefish
        You can always do the classic "movie day" with the movie most vaguely related to the study.
        Apr 5, 2019
        SpaceBot and Knighteriius like this.
      4. SpaceBot
        SpaceBot
        My art teacher in highschool would do movie day if he was too... spaced out... to teach lmfao.
        Apr 5, 2019
      5. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        Good ideas, but this class already lost 7 days due to snow, so we really can't miss a day. Thankfully the fact I was the one moving around helped a lot and I got through the 2 hours.
        Apr 5, 2019
        SpaceBot and Knighteriius like this.
    13. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      I hate this day. Major security breach at work today and no one is going to believe me because it is April 1st.
      2. SpaceBot
        SpaceBot
        Prior to me dating him, to clarify.
        Apr 2, 2019
      3. Dreadshadow
        Dreadshadow
        This is incredibly bad. Not that 24 hours can save them but you did your best and your duty. Now if they didn't believe you... too bad, they will learn from their mistake.
        Apr 2, 2019
        SpaceBot likes this.
      4. Vance Raehart
        Vance Raehart
        I wanted to get bloodpills, empty capsules and a pillbottle and chug the empty pills down my throat infront of my manager then walk off somewhere in a corner collapsed. missed opportunity there.
        Apr 2, 2019
    14. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      Still my favorite April Fools Fake Ad:
      1. Sharm
        Sharm
        I'm sold. They should also come out with one for Tolkien Elvish.
        Apr 1, 2019
    15. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      Spent today working on something for the release something event. Feels odd to be working on a project that isn't The Book of Shadows.
      1. Padramyr likes this.
    16. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      Just found an old project backup...from July 2014. Man how much has changed since then.
      1. SpaceBot likes this.
      3. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        On the other hand, I saw some jokes in that old version that are no longer in the game!
        Mar 30, 2019
      4. Mrs_Allykat
        Mrs_Allykat
        Hey, jokes are crazy important! Still I bet it was really cool to see the old version :)
        Mar 30, 2019
      5. Touchfuzzy
        Touchfuzzy
        Every time I find something like that my immediate response upon looking at it is "Wow, this is garbage."

I'm so harsh on past me.
        Mar 30, 2019
        bgillisp and The Mighty Palm like this.
    17. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      Had a dream last night that I was at a bookstore but every time you bought a book you got to do a try?
      1. Wavelength and SpaceBot like this.
      3. Wavelength
        Wavelength
        I like my local Barnes & Noble, but I'd like my local Barnes & Noble a WHOLE LOT MORE if they had this!
        Mar 29, 2019
        bgillisp and SpaceBot like this.
      4. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        @Wavelength : All I remember is you had an option to go for 1 point (kick it across the store exit), 2 points (run it across the exit while dodging two bouncers), or 3 points (no idea...the dream didn't show how you could do that).

Also somehow there were field goals where you had to kick over the bookcases and still have it airbone when it cleared the line that was the store exit.
        Mar 29, 2019
        Wavelength and SpaceBot like this.
      5. Wavelength
        Wavelength
        @bgillisp That is so dayum awesome (and detailed!). I think Supermarket Sweep would look something like that if it took place in a bookstore. :D
        Mar 29, 2019
        SpaceBot likes this.
    18. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      Nothing is nicer than the email saying you have a check on the way for book sales.
      1. SpaceBot, Amane Kagari, batch and 4 others like this.
      3. AmieLK
        AmieLK
        Oooohh. I'm interested!
        Mar 28, 2019
      4. MushroomCake28
        MushroomCake28
        So you're a respectable university (?) professor that writes educational books and create games? What would I give to have you as a teacher!
        Mar 28, 2019
      5. bgillisp
        bgillisp
        Community college actually. I've only written one book so far, though I do have ideas for another that I might do once my game is done.

@AmieLK : PM me if you want more details.
        Mar 28, 2019
        MushroomCake28 and AmieLK like this.
    19. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      *crickets chirping*
      1. Ryisunique likes this.
      2. dragoonwys
        dragoonwys
        *owls hooting*
        Mar 25, 2019
        Philosophus Vagus likes this.
      3. Elliott404
        Elliott404
        My name's Jeff.
        Mar 25, 2019
        mlogan likes this.
      4. bgillisp
        Mar 26, 2019
    20. bgillisp
      bgillisp
      Here's your weekly reminder to back up your project(s).
      1. OmnislashXX
        OmnislashXX
        I wonder who will be the next idiot to come on here whining "I lost my project that I've been working on for a year" because they didn't back up their stuff.
        Mar 24, 2019
  • About

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Just a math teacher attempting to make an RPG.